User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is there anything that I can grow in an apartment?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

This may sound silly...but I know zilch about gardening. My mom has a huge backyard so she has tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs, and other stuff. I live in an apartment, but would still like to have something grown fresh. Is this possible?

I don't have a lot of counter space and I have a very curious cat who likes to nibble on stuff. The apartment has two bedrooms, and a moderate amount of space. So...what can I grow and what are the steps to doing it? Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

maybe you could try tomatoes or strawberries in an upside down planter? I am just waiting for my herbs to sprout.
    natynat likes this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I was going to suggest herbs too, but you have to be attentive of course. I fail miserably that way, I kill most live plants, lol Good luck, hope you find something workable for the space.
    natynat likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avrose View Post
    maybe you could try tomatoes or strawberries in an upside down planter? I am just waiting for my herbs to sprout.
    My mom's tomato bushes are huge lol. Perhaps cherry tomatoes? Would those take less space? And umm..what is an upside down planter?
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I was going to suggest herbs too, but you have to be attentive of course. I fail miserably that way, I kill most live plants, lol Good luck, hope you find something workable for the space.
    Lol I have two big plant thingys...they're huge leaves really. They don't need much attention...just to be watered once a week and rotated so the leaves don't all point in the same direction I manage them well hihihi. Thanks for the luck, I'll need it! With my mom and grandma having the green thumbs, you'd think I know the basics by now...
    Last edited by natynat; Mon, Jan 28th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

It kind of looks like a plastic bag dispenser, the plant hangs out the bottom and you put the dirt in the top, not sure how big they would get since I drowned mine. (overwaterd during a heat wave and not enough soil in the bag) I knew someone who said they used one of those for strawberries (I think it's the same but smaller?) and they had great success.
    Shwa Girl, Skittles160 and natynat like this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avrose
    Check out Tangerine with my Orange Key!! 40411099S1

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

A small pot of catnip for the cat.
    Ciel and electric_viking like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    A small pot of catnip for the cat.
    I tried, but my cat didn't eat it and it wilted and got mold on it :'(

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

It kind of looks like a plastic bag dispenser, the plant hangs out the bottom and you put the dirt in the top, not sure how big they would get since I drowned mine. (overwaterd during a heat wave and not enough soil in the bag) I knew someone who said they used one of those for strawberries (I think it's the same but smaller?) and they had great success.
    I'll have to look into it Thanks!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

If you get 6+ hours of sun on your balcony then tomatoes are a great idea. I had a 7 foot tall cherry tomato plant on our balcony. If you like peppers those are pretty easy to grow too. I'd start with a few plants when the spring comes along. Herbs are easy to grow all year long

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Balcony-try a pot of mixed lettuce seeds. The lettuce will get bitter after a few cuttings-a gardener told me that replanting new seeds is supposed to deal with that but I did not know when I first grew lettuce. Thought it was the soil's way of saying "feed me" via bitter lettuce leaves.

Countertop or coffee table with lots of sunshine-if you have takeout salad containers, they make great mini-garden pots for growing seeds as the domed lids helps keep the interiors warm! Flowers, vegetables, herbs...
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Name:  topsy-turvy-tomato_5.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  34.6 KB
    gourmetsue, natynat and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

You guys are amazing, thank you for all the ideas! :D

So for cherry tomatoes I have to wait until spring? What if my balcony faces a busy street and I'm on the 2nd floor? Wouldn't all the veggies be gross?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Just wash the produce before you eat it. If you're wanting to try anything from seed I can send you some pepper and tomato seeds to get started. You aren't too worried about your "frost date" since you won't be putting stuff in the ground so you could start sprouting seeds now I guess.
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    Just wash the produce before you eat it. If you're wanting to try anything from seed I can send you some pepper and tomato seeds to get started. You aren't too worried about your "frost date" since you won't be putting stuff in the ground so you could start sprouting seeds now I guess.
    I can start already? Lol. I should buy a manual. As for the seeds, I really appreciate it but I wouldn't be able to return the favour, so I'm sure I can find some at Canadian Tire or Walmart or something.

If I start sprouting in a plastic container from a salad, like mentioned above, will I be able to transfer this later into a bigger pot?

Ah, so many questions...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information