User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is there anything that I can grow in an apartment?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

there are 2 kinds of tomatoes plant.....determinated and undeterminated.....that says all....

the determinated one takes a lot less space to grow than the undeterminated .....

if you check the seeds catalogs, it's mentionned if the plant is determinated or undeterminated
    Last edited by Mia001; Tue, Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
    gourmetsue likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Well, I've always been a fan of determination lol. Thank you, this could potentially save me a lot of headache
    secheltsaver likes this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I wouldn't need the favour returned! I'd happily send seeds no worries.

I started my seeds out in Jiffy Pods last year. It was a tray that had (I think) 36 spots in it that fit compacted discs of dirt. You pop one in each spot then pour water over them. They expand and you can then drop a couple of seeds in each dirt disc. You just loosely cover the seeds with dirt and then put the tray lid on and leave it to sprout. Depending on what you're growing it can be as quick as 3-5 days.

Here's a blog post that shows what it looks like http://garden.katzke.net/2009/02/spr...ng-jiffy-pods/

Another thing I have are Aerogardens. They are amazing. A tad pricey to start but you can easily find them on kijiji. At the moment I have mixed lettuce, dill, mint, oregano, and thyme growing. I buy my seed pods at Canadian tire but words is they may be discontinuing them. I'd happily buy them online and pay the shipping because there is nothing like fresh lettuce in the middle of winter. I started this round just before the new year and we've already has salad at least 6 times from this along with lettuce for sandwiches and veggie burgers.

Just try stuff out. If it doesn't work out then then year just try something different and most importantly just enjoy the process.
    Last edited by gourmetsue; Thu, Jan 31st, 2013 at 06:09 AM.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

is your salad growing from the Jiffys ?
    Last edited by Mia001; Tue, Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Okay, I'm going to be the voice of reason here. Seeds are cheap, but unless you consider other factors, you aren't going to meet with much success. If you have limited indoor light, you don't want to start your seeds too early because the seedlings will get leggy as they reach for the light.

You need proper air circulation or your seedlings may experience "damping off", which means they are succumbing to a bacteria fungus in the soil...your seedlings will be nice one day and the next, they will look toppled at the base. To avoid this, a lot of gardeners use soil-less mix because the fungus that caused damping off is more often in real soil.

When it's time to transplant to containers, buy the biggest ones you can afford because the larger the pot, the more extensive the root system and the more production you will get, especially when it comes to tomatoes. Don't be tempted to buy topsoil or black earth-type soil unless you plan on amending it with some manure and compost...there isn't a lot of nutrients in plain topsoil, and it can get very compact, meaning roots have to fight to grow through it.

Consider your sun exposure. There really is no sense growing sun loving crops if you only get a couple of hours of sunlight per day. They will struggle and not produce anything. There are some plants that thrive in shade.

With regards to tomatoes...if you are growing on the patio, make sure to look for varieties that are compact, or just grow cherry types. Remember to harden off your plants if they were started indoors. I am not a fan of those upside down tomato containers.
    gourmetsue, natynat and mhmartel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    is your salad growing from the Jiffys ?
    No, I'm growing them in the aerogarden at the moment.
    Mia001 and natynat like this.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I don't use jiffy pots make my own containers from newpaper
    Mia001, gourmetsue and natynat like this.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I'm taking notes. Lol. Thank you guys, there's so much info here it's overwhelming!

I get quite a lot of sun in the apartment, and then when one side goes shady, the other side has the sun. So...worst case scenario, I could move the pots from room to room?

Does the one seed that I plant keep reproducing for years to come? Or do I need to purchase seeds monthly/yearly?

What is the difference between jiffy pots and just regular pots?

Questions, questions, questions...lol You guys are amazing
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Jiffy pots are little pucks made of peat that swell up when you soak them in water. They are totally not necessary to starting seeds. Buy some disposable drink cups for seed starting...it needn't be expensive.

As to the seed question: If the seeds aren't from a hybrid variety, then you can save seeds year after year. Make sure they are fully mature before picking them. If they are hybrid, they will produce, but your results will be variable. You can buy seeds at the local grocery store or garden center from around now until early summer. Seed companies will ship for longer, but you can't buy seeds year round in stores. It's important to buy from places that take care of their seed displays...outside in the blazing sun, exposed to wind and rain? I would avoid those....
    gourmetsue and natynat like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Hi there,

It's great to read your enthusiasm for gardening!

I don't know how much sunlight you get, or whether you have a balcony, but Swiss Chard grows easily and abundantly in pots. You can get the usual green chard or "Rainbow Chard", which is pretty. Tomatoes can grow well in containers, as others have said. Herbs are a great choice, and there are so many to choose from! If you have lots of sun and warmth, you can even try root crops like beets and carrots in pots. My parents have a neighbour whose apartment has a southern exposure, and she grew beets!

There are actually books out there devoted to apartment gardening, so you might want to check those out from your local library and have a peek.

I recently discovered a website and Facebook page I loved called, "Grow Food, Not Lawns". Several people who post have apartment gardens! https://www.facebook.com/GrowFoodNotLawns
    natynat likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    Does the one seed that I plant keep reproducing for years to come? Or do I need to purchase seeds monthly/yearly?
    If you do want to save seeds, definitely grow heirloom varieties of herbs and vegetables. There are some beautiful, tasty varieties out there and several excellent Canadian heirloom seed businesses. (Check the thread, "Where Do You Buy Your Seeds" for more info. )
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    No, I'm growing them in the aerogarden at the moment.

thank's,
    i must check this , then

edit: went to see it on the net.....look very interesting to me, thank's again
    Last edited by Mia001; Wed, Jan 30th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
    gourmetsue likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

do you have a pinterest account? if not, you should get one, if so, check out the gardening ideass. it has so many great ideas my favorite is one that uses a door hanging shoe cubby. honestly, you should check it out
    gourmetsue and natynat like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information