User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Tear Pad Etiquette

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

SassyAshley!

I never even thought about ebay. Oh that makes me madder. I was upset at the thought of hoarding for trading. Maybe I should stop looking for couponing before a SC'er one day posts a thread that says "hey remember oscarname well she assaulted someone ripping a coupon pad of the shelf" what a newbie!!!

Yuk!! I guess every good thing has another side. I understand making more money but...just YUK!
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I think you would be surprised to see what other people are looking for and that you do not have to hoard or take whole tear pads to have some great trades.

I personally believe when you see someone take the whole tear pad they are selling them on ebay. When someone had 10 x 20 of a specific coupon for sale from a tear pad all I can think is you took the whole tear. Sadly many people are profiting from the fact that coupons are becoming so popular, instead of seeing it as a way or a need to save money they see it as a way to make money.

I do not take more than 5 of a coupon but even if there are only 3 coupons left on a tear I will only take 1 or 2, I hate to clear a tear pad even if it is almost empty when I find it. I think twice I have cleared a tear pad and that was because there was only one coupon left on it and it was something my family uses. Even when they get that low unless I know personally my family will use them, I will not grab them for friends.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i usually take around 5 of a coupon, unless i'm getting it for someone i know who will use it but don't use it myself. In that case i only take 2 or 3.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I take 3-5 if it`s something I use myself. Lately there haven`t been many in the stores I shop at. I usually only shop once a week and by the time I get there again they`re all gone.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I do collect coupons for other people but I think some people take advantage of this. I was at a store shopping and a women and her daughter were collecting tear pad coupons, ok whatever didn't pay much attention until I happen to pull off a couple coupons and the daughter yelled to her mom there aren't enough left now that she took some, I was like huh I only took 3 and there is still a stack left. At this point I was a little noisy so I stuck around her mom came over and they started counting and her daughter said see mom only 33 we need 40, I was like what the. Turns out they collect coupons for others each person get 5 so every tear pad they 40, how do I know this because they stood there talking about who wouldn't get these coupons because there were not enough left, plus my mom being my mom said something like what are you doing and the woman explained it all to my mom. I was like that is a little unfair I am all for helping people out but to troll stores for other people and take 40 of each coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by bookgirl1234 View Post
    i usually take around 5 of a coupon, unless i'm getting it for someone i know who will use it but don't use it myself. In that case i only take 2 or 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    SassyAshley!

I never even thought about ebay. Oh that makes me madder. I was upset at the thought of hoarding for trading. Maybe I should stop looking for couponing before a SC'er one day posts a thread that says "hey remember oscarname well she assaulted someone ripping a coupon pad of the shelf" what a newbie!!!

Yuk!! I guess every good thing has another side. I understand making more money but...just YUK!
    It is shocking what you will find on ebay. I quite regularly question how I cannot get 1 copy of the P & G insert but there are people on ebay selling 100+ copies, how do you get 100+ copies?????????

You can see it is a game for some because you see that they know how to price them if it is a "popular" coupon the starting price is higher which I never really got. I do not understand paying $12 for $7 worth of coupons. This has actually cost you money not saved you money. But as long as people buy them they will keep selling them.
    Poirot and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

i will take 4-6 depending on expiry date as there is no point of having 6 creamer coupons that expire in a month. I do make a note of what is out there and may look in other stores. I had 15 coupons for the Kiks and it was 4 trips to my local store to get them over a month & i have already used 10 of them. So i don't feel bad. I have a store in my area that always has coupons as it seems no one has targeted it yet. I also refuse to take a coupon for a product I don't use unless I know someone is looking for it. I took the zantec, but only to send (ROAK) to an SC that uses them. In fact up until a few weeks ago my local SDM still had the zantec with no limitations.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Sassyashley!

I am speechless and at this point should be fingerless because I am going blow-up.

-40? for others-maybe that's part of the system we are not aware of?

-Not making her child apoligise to you!!!

-I never get the inserts too, P&G never saw it this year and most of the inserts too. I have maybe 1 or 2 of of the campaigns that came out this year and this is only because a neighbours visits a neighbour in the east end sometimes and she brings me hers. And I always buy her things because I cherish it so much, her kindness.

-If you look under the Ottawa section you will see we are all having trouble getting any at all and we check various issues various dates around the calendar date. The inserts you would think would be the easy part of couponing. I don't get it.

DH always tells me - even my friends, you're too gullable, you think everyone is like you and I'm really sadened that couponing is not as .... as I thought it was. I have PM'd so many nice people and I find it difficult to believe of conduct among us. I have asked several times for someone who has flyers and no one has responded except 2 SC'ers that only get a few themselves or they use them to trade by cutting them up. I understand that but if I had a hundred and you pay for the postage or whatever arrangement..I will give them to you and that is a promiss. I want to help others. I'm really sorry you went through that-what an eye opener. Thank goodness we are here for each other, all of us SC'ers and we encourage and motivate each other to keep at it and save and enjoy the savings we have. Also I need to add I'm certain that if someone were to offer inserts someone would compensate them just as I have before.

-12.00 dollars....did you feel that explosion-that was part of my head exploding.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I do collect coupons for other people but I think some people take advantage of this. I was at a store shopping and a women and her daughter were collecting tear pad coupons, ok whatever didn't pay much attention until I happen to pull off a couple coupons and the daughter yelled to her mom there aren't enough left now that she took some, I was like huh I only took 3 and there is still a stack left. At this point I was a little noisy so I stuck around her mom came over and they started counting and her daughter said see mom only 33 we need 40, I was like what the. Turns out they collect coupons for others each person get 5 so every tear pad they 40, how do I know this because they stood there talking about who wouldn't get these coupons because there were not enough left, plus my mom being my mom said something like what are you doing and the woman explained it all to my mom. I was like that is a little unfair I am all for helping people out but to troll stores for other people and take 40 of each coupon.

It is shocking what you will find on ebay. I quite regularly question how I cannot get 1 copy of the P & G insert but there are people on ebay selling 100+ copies, how do you get 100+ copies?????????

You can see it is a game for some because you see that they know how to price them if it is a "popular" coupon the starting price is higher which I never really got. I do not understand paying $12 for $7 worth of coupons. This has actually cost you money not saved you money. But as long as people buy them they will keep selling them.

Princess of Paying Less katie333's Avatar
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Etiquette says take what you need. Many couponers will take extras for trading, and you'll see lots of that here. Extras don't necessarily mean the full tear pad (thank goodness!) but taking 10 when you yourself might only use 2 is extra. After a year of couponing I have learned that while it may be exciting to take 4 when you will only use 2 to build your stash (for trading or whatever), it generally means you'll end up recycling a bunch of at the end of each month. On December 31, 2012 there were many many posts lamenting the loss of coupons since many expire at year end. Or a flurry of folks trying to trade short expiries at the last minute. I wished I had been able to get a hold of some of those coupons that I didn't have and could have used throughout the year.

This year I vow to be coupon lean. I will take only what I can use. I'll still get extras from inserts, mail-outs and what I get from family and friends, so if I absolutely have to trade for that elusive tear pad, hopefully I'll be able to make it happen.
    Kate

Have a question about cross border coupon shopping? PM me!
    Earn free GC and more with Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I usually grab a few per store if it is something good. (3-5) For awhile we had a bad problem with a lady taking the whole tear pad. She would always manage to get them all the same day they were put out. For a few months I could not get any tear pads at all, even crappy tear pads!!! She is still a bit of issue, but at least she has stopped taking all of them usually.

I was wondering what about peelies & hang tags? Is it ok to take a couple extras if it is something you buy regularly? I got lucky at Walmart last week and managed to score some $3 Clear peelies that were stuck to the shelf's & a couple $2 Unleiver hang tags that were lying on the shelf's but I was very tempted to take a couple off the bottles. Is that ok or is it a big no no? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just always see people trading them. (I went back a couple days later and someone had taken them all, must have been 100s of them at least and they were all gone!)

I never get P&G inserts either. My paper has a section that lists what inserts you can find in it. It will say the P&G is supposed to be in there but it NEVER is. Not in the two years we have lived here. I do manage to get extra Red Plum inserts lately by taking the extra bundles of newspapers out of our big blue recycling bins!
    Last edited by Panthera; Sat, Feb 9th, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
    oscarandme likes this.
    Get a full pair of glasses for as little as $29! The only place I buy my glasses. Super easy returns too - http://www.clearly.ca/refer/valerie

I love making my own beauty products and saving money. Go to http://www.well.ca and enter promo code panthera and save $10 on your first order.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I also take what I think I will use whenever I come across a tearpad, depending on expiry date - around here it is very rare to even see tearpads (with any coupons!) There are a few people around who take them all - I really miss the toonies for tummies coupons!! The odd time you see the same coupon in every store - right now it is b2breadsave$2 on fruit/veg, so I pick up a few at every store - most times I point out the coupon to someone else or hand them one at the checkout. I have never ever taken whole or ½ pads if I was lucky to find any...
    oscarandme likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Why should the daughter apologize? It doesn't sound like she said anything to Ashley. She may have been an adult daughter.

As for the etiquette discussion, I usually take 5 if it is something I use and has a long expiry. Less if it is a short expiry. If it is something I don't use, I will take 1 per shopping trip. I.e. If I go to the store twice, I will have two of that coupon if it is still there

40 is ridiculous. If they are getting them for other people and everyone takes 40 they are going to have a crazy amount of leftovers.

We don't get inserts here at all either. It's annoying but I get the inserts I need from a great person here who I regularly trade with, and she gets dozens of them from recycle bins. I am ok with giving her coupons from her wishlist because she did the work of collecting the inserts
    Sassyashley!

I am speechless and at this point should be fingerless because I am going blow-up.

-I never get the inserts too, P&G never saw it this year and most of the inserts too. I have maybe 1 or 2 of of the campaigns that came out this year and this is only because a neighbours visits a neighbour in the east end sometimes and she brings me hers. And I always buy her things because I cherish it so much, her kindness.

-If you look under the Ottawa section you will see we are all having trouble getting any at all and we check various issues various dates around the calendar date. The inserts you would think would be the easy part of couponing. I don't get it.

DH always tells me - even my friends, you're too gullable, you think everyone is like you and I'm really sadened that couponing is not as .... as I thought it was. I have PM'd so many nice people and I find it difficult to believe of conduct among us. I have asked several times for someone who has flyers and no one has responded except 2 SC'ers that only get a few themselves or they use them to trade by cutting them up. I understand that but if I had a hundred and you pay for the postage or whatever arrangement..I will give them to you and that is a promiss. I want to help others. I'm really sorry you went through that-what an eye opener. Thank goodness we are here for each other, all of us SC'ers and we encourage and motivate each other to keep at it and save and enjoy the savings we have. Also I need to add I'm certain that if someone were to offer inserts someone would compensate them just as I have before.

-12.00 dollars....did you feel that explosion-that was part of my head exploding.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Feb 9th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I completely understand helping someone out, I have one girl I work with her daughter is lactose intolerant so if I see a lactose free milk coupon I grab her 2, or one girl has a dog so if I see one for his dog I grab her 2. But would I ever go shopping and grab 5 for me, 5 for co worker 1 and 5 for co worker 2 no. If they want to coupon to that extent they need to work for it not mention you cannot tell me eves person in that group uses every coupon that was collected. So I honestly do believe a lot of those coupons end up being tossed or they are selling them.

No need for an apology she did not say anything to me directly, it was a child but she was just commenting. I took my coupons and was standing there looking at the product (it was a new product and wanted to see the variety of flavours so I could see which ones we were going to try).

I get smart source but that is it. I just find it frustrating I have even contacted P & G and aired my frustration and they have no solutions yet people seem to get so many copies to sell. Collecting them out of recycling bins and or from friends is one thing but when you have 100+ copies before they are ever delivered makes me wonder.

I just had to laugh at the paying $12, hey it is there money.

Sassyashley!

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

On peelies and Hang Tags, I tend to go with rule that if I want the coupon I have to buy the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Panthera View Post

I was wondering what about peelies & hang tags? Is it ok to take a couple extras if it is something you buy regularly? I got lucky at Walmart last week and managed to score some $3 Clear peelies that were stuck to the shelf's & a couple $2 Unleiver hang tags that were lying on the shelf's but I was very tempted to take a couple off the bottles. Is that ok or is it a big no no? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just always see people trading them. (I went back a couple days later and someone had taken them all, must have been 100s of them at least and they were all gone!)

!
    Panthera and amandabananda like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I usually take up to 6 (if it's something I use all the time. A person needs to remember that almost everything has an expiry date, and there are lots of others that would love to get the opportunity to save some money as well. What I really dislike is that some people have the assumption that if your are trading a particular coupon, and say you have 10 or 20 of them, that you must have either taken the entire pad, or most of it. When I'm back in Canada, I'm getting to the point that I will only take 1 or 2 coupons, because, after all these years, I've realized that I raise my dd's right. I have 5 dd's and there isn't a week that goes by that they don't bring me coupons they have found while they're out shopping. They know I don't get out that often anymore and they are always in the grocery store. I usually end up giving away mystery envies to my friends on here with all the extra coupons. I also have friends here that send me mystery envies, so I get rid of a bunch of coupons, then they miraculously find their way back to me via a friend There are no hard an fast rules per say for couponing. Just remember, there are others out there that would love to save a few dollars too
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think this is something people need to look at, I understand people wanting to trade but it becomes very frustrating when there is a coupon your family will use and you cannot find it because someone took the whole pad to either trade or sell (yes I said it, sell them) and you are stuck looking for this $1 off coupon and because it might be a "popular" coupon it becomes harder to get. This is part of the reason I took a step back from trading at the end of last year was because I noticed people collecting the "popular" coupons and putting higher wants/demands on the coupon. To me no $1 off coupon is work $5 in exchange just because it is a coupon most people are looking for and really want.

But with that being said when someone does have a higher number of coupons you cannot always assume they took the whole pad. I know I was accused of taking a whole tear pad when I had a large number of coupons up for the trade, the funny part was it wasn't even a tear pad coupon it was an insert and I got every coupon through trading since I do not get that insert. That is when I learned to keep better track of my trades so I wouldn't end up with 30 of the same coupon again when I will only use 5 to 10 of that coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    I usually take up to 6 (if it's something I use all the time. A person needs to remember that almost everything has an expiry date, and there are lots of others that would love to get the opportunity to save some money as well. What I really dislike is that some people have the assumption that if your are trading a particular coupon, and say you have 10 or 20 of them, that you must have either taken the entire pad, or most of it. When I'm back in Canada, I'm getting to the point that I will only take 1 or 2 coupons, because, after all these years, I've realized that I raise my dd's right. I have 5 dd's and there isn't a week that goes by that they don't bring me coupons they have found while they're out shopping. They know I don't get out that often anymore and they are always in the grocery store. I usually end up giving away mystery envies to my friends on here with all the extra coupons. I also have friends here that send me mystery envies, so I get rid of a bunch of coupons, then they miraculously find their way back to me via a friend There are no hard an fast rules per say for couponing. Just remember, there are others out there that would love to save a few dollars too

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Empty tear pads are the worst!!!!! It drives me crazy, especially when it is a coupon I am really needing. Arg!!

But I only take 3-6 of a coupon, it really depends on what it's for, how often I use it and when it expires. But I run a daycare and have two children of my own so saving at the grocery store is awesome either way!
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information