User Tag List

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree375Likes

Thread: Having any problems on SmartCanucks? Want a new feature? Let me know!

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Expert View Post
    I'm aware of the spam problem and I am doing my best to stamp it out. I will be implementing changes to prevent them. If you come across a spam thread, be sure to report it so moderators can take care of it.
    Is it best to report every spam message? Or when we report a post by someone, does all of their activity get reviewed?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

JUst report one post and add the number of posts noted in the profile. Once a profile is banned all the posts go.

If the thread is in one of the fora where you can expire threads, please expire them as it helps keep down the number of spammed threads in the new threads link.

Personally..I get irrated by the necromanced threads.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Could you configure the board software to stop identical posts being posted in, say , a 5 minute window?

That could slow down some of the spammers esp the one who's at 84 posts at least by now.
    PammieD likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Could you configure the board software to stop identical posts being posted in, say , a 5 minute window?

That could slow down some of the spammers esp the one who's at 84 posts at least by now.
    Flood Check is something I've just re-activated. Not sure who disabled it before me but yeah. Five minutes is too long for a human so I've set it to the default. If that doesn't work, I'll take it from there. I'm working on a couple of things to aid moderators too.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Thanks!
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hm... the 30 seconds between posts is back again, gah!

It's been nice til now having it back like it used to be!
    GoJays and PammieD like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

30 second wait? nuh uh... no good.. back to the way it was please and thank you
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I would imagine it is part of the flood check put in place to slow the spammers down
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I'm no longer receiving email notifications of new pms (I used to) even though I haven't changed ANYTHING in my settings ? Any reasons why ?
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I have been getting mine, I had a peek at your account and it looks like you should be getting them. Could you have marked one as spam and they are going there?
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I have been getting mine, I had a peek at your account and it looks like you should be getting them. Could you have marked one as spam and they are going there?
    Thanks, I just went to check and that's EXACTLY what happened....Name:  facepalm-mt.gif
Views: 84
Size:  705 Bytes

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay let me explain this. Robot or programmed spammers are deployed through a software. They target random forums. They are programmed to bombard past registration and post constantly in each forum section it detects. These posts come one after the other in quick succession as its programmed and the AI isn't that intelligent usually.

A flood check prevents this by having a timed counter. If a user posts within the flood check period, the post is rejected as you have seen. This slows down spam bots considerably. In addition to this, it eases load on both the database and the server which is a plus.

Like it or not, we all must make sacrifices to hold down spam. If you can suggest some other way to accomplish a better spam prevention, go ahead, I'm all ears but realise I'm doing these things for the sake of the forum not because I want to disrupt your experience. A lot of thought goes in, believe it or not.

So please, if you want this spam problem controlled, you'll need to work with me on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Darth Penguin and PammieD like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Expert View Post
    Okay let me explain this. Robot or programmed spammers are deployed through a software. They target random forums. They are programmed to bombard past registration and post constantly in each forum section it detects. These posts come one after the other in quick succession as its programmed and the AI isn't that intelligent usually.

A flood check prevents this by having a timed counter. If a user posts within the flood check period, the post is rejected as you have seen. This slows down spam bots considerably. In addition to this, it eases load on both the database and the server which is a plus.

Like it or not, we all must make sacrifices to hold down spam. If you can suggest some other way to accomplish a better spam prevention, go ahead, I'm all ears but realise I'm doing these things for the sake of the forum not because I want to disrupt your experience. A lot of thought goes in, believe it or not.

So please, if you want this spam problem controlled, you'll need to work with me on it.

I post on another forum which will remain unnamed since it is censored here - I have never seen spam bot posts on it because the first few posts are modded. I know we've talked about it before, but if a company knows they can get away with bombarding a particular forum with spam easily, they will choose it over one that is more difficult. It may be a matter of biting the bullet and modding initial posts and when these companies find out it's harder to post here, they will go to greener (easier) pastures.
    Natalka and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I post on another forum which will remain unnamed since it is censored here - I have never seen spam bot posts on it because the first few posts are modded. I know we've talked about it before, but if a company knows they can get away with bombarding a particular forum with spam easily, they will choose it over one that is more difficult. It may be a matter of biting the bullet and modding initial posts and when these companies find out it's harder to post here, they will go to greener (easier) pastures.
    Thats what I'm probably gonna do. I understand your viewpoint and think its excellent. We've been discussing the idea of initial moderation on the first couple of posts and I reckon it'll be good to go in the next couple of days

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information