User Tag List

Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I don't abuse our cards either but I sometimes wonder if it might make DH realize how much money goes out each month.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think it all depends on the person. I am extremely frugal where is my mom is always looking for those special things and treats. She comments on how other family members if they have money they have to spend it but she is no different and do not even try to point this out as it just starts a huge fight so now I sit back and bit my tongue reminding here I cannot carry all of the bills again, I did it for way too long and cannot do it again. Especially when all of the bills are in her name and she gets mad when I phone to try to get them lowered and keeps telling me to let her do it. We are not on like week 5 and still has not phoned. She is happy to complain about how high are bills are but than she just gives them to me to pay.

Wanna talk about shock our Hydro bill is over $300 this month. I think the reason she will not call about it is she is now home all day and knows she is doing things she should not be doing at the wrong times but will not admit to it. Which is great as that is a bill I pay and I am the one who is never home. With my current extended hours as I am working at 2 locations 2 nights I am only home and awake for about 3 years each night before it is time for me to go to bed. The other nights I should be home earlier but usually end up running around after work so really I have no more time after work. Oh I miss my home, just being home, pretty much right now I feel like I just go home to shower eat and sleep. So needless to say this Hydro bill is blowing my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    I don't abuse our cards either but I sometimes wonder if it might make DH realize how much money goes out each month.
    macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

We use our credit card for everything. It actually helps us to keep on track. DH and I are transparent about everything we spend- it is all on the bill: The good the bad and the ugly! LOL! I make sure that he reads it!

I just finished our dinner menu for this week as well. I need to! Thanks to our menagerie and petsmart- we have had some big expenses. Pup needed a new collar(now 26 lbs), cats needed food, and I needed Nature's way spray thanks to Mr. "I only really like to poo outside, pass me the pee mat please..." (we have taken it away.) It really adds up!

Here is what we will be eating this week:

Friday- Homemade fish nuggets, lemon rice and salad
    Saturday- Homemade full dressed salsa hamburgers w/fries (treat: AMAZING chip truck 1/2 block away)
    Sunday- Ham with homemade coleslaw and potato salads
    Monday- Tortellini soup w/ homemade damper
    Tuesday- Roasted Chicken thighs w/mushroom barley and balsamic green beans (so freakin easy and yummy!)
    Wednesday- Roasted Veggie spaghetti
    Thursday- Chicken Meatloaf, brown rice pilaf and carrots.

The goods news is thanks to my previous shops, I have almost everything I need to buy for groceries. I just need fruit and some lunchey (new word!) stuff.

I can't believe that the first week of March is finished and I have spent to so much. But according to my meal plan, and budget we are on track .
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Wanna talk about shock our Hydro bill is over $300 this month. I think the reason she will not call about it is she is now home all day and knows she is doing things she should not be doing at the wrong times but will not admit to it. Which is great as that is a bill I pay and I am the one who is never home. With my current extended hours as I am working at 2 locations 2 nights I am only home and awake for about 3 years each night before it is time for me to go to bed. The other nights I should be home earlier but usually end up running around after work so really I have no more time after work. Oh I miss my home, just being home, pretty much right now I feel like I just go home to shower eat and sleep. So needless to say this Hydro bill is blowing my budget.
    I feel your pain- and hope that you do get time to relax. My FIL is staying with us for at least the next few months. We (DH, DS and I) don't have a TV, (we stream EVERYTHING!) but he runs the one in his room 24/7. Same with all of the lights in the bedroom. He brings a mini fridge to put in his room as well as a microwave etc. He was shocked when we mentioned that he doubles our bill when he stays- so I showed him. (He stayed with us most of last year.) Now at least he chips in $50 for some of the cost and food. He doesn't have much so I am reluctant to ask him.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

The hydro bill can be a killer. That`s why the laundry gets done on weekends. I do use the dryer though...hate hanging clothes to dry. The dishwasher gets run during the night. We also try not to use the oven too much through the week so any baking usually gets done on weekends.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Speaking of credit cards, I was thinking of getting one to earn some points to out towards a vacation we are saving for. One to use in place of my debit and then pay off each month. Preferably with no annual fee. Suggestions?
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I pay no fee on:
    PC
    SDM
    CT
    Sobey's.
    Those are the only ones I have.
    lecale and jasperandchar like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Do you earn any kind of travel rewards for those?
    jasperandchar likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This one I have been told is a bit tricky when it comes to earning travel points. You have to be careful as I have heard quite often the rewards are not worth the money spent to get them and if I remember correctly most travel rewards credit cards do have annual fees. Sorry I am trying to remember a conversation me and a few family members had as we were discussing the types of credit cards we use and which reward programs are linked to our credit cards.

For the most part almost everyone in our family carries cash back credit cards as most of them come with no annual fee and depending on the credit card they offer different reward levels. Only a couple have travel rewards but if I remember correctly they are all paying annual fees.

I currently have a cashback visa and mastercard. Visa has a small annual fee I am working on getting waived if they do not I will cancel, my mastercard is no fee.

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    Speaking of credit cards, I was thinking of getting one to earn some points to out towards a vacation we are saving for. One to use in place of my debit and then pay off each month. Preferably with no annual fee. Suggestions?

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

All of laundry is done on Sundays. I can usually get it done in 2 loads in the washer and 2 in the dryer, I have no issues mixing certain loads and as I refuse to do a load for 2 pieces of clothing. We do hang things to dry, I have to as if I put my jeans in the dryer they shrink and become to small and have numerous tops that cannot go in the dryer.

I try to only run the dishwasher at night but at times mom will forget her cake decorating stuff in her cart she takes to work and load the dishwasher and just turn it one.

I also do any baking on weekends as that is the only time I am home to do but since mom is pretty much not working right now she will get bored and bake all day. Not only is horrible on my hydro bill but my waistline is also showing it. I am hoping she will stop with this as last time I did not eat it and she got mad when she had to throw some of it out, but my waistline was happy I refrained.

I try to do pretty much everything at off peak which is easy for me as I am never home anymore, but mom on the other hand gets in these I do not care moods and just does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    The hydro bill can be a killer. That`s why the laundry gets done on weekends. I do use the dryer though...hate hanging clothes to dry. The dishwasher gets run during the night. We also try not to use the oven too much through the week so any baking usually gets done on weekends.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I like the jars or envelopes, this is an example of 1 weeks cash out (does not include my payments such as mortgage, car insurance, etc)
    $150.00 for gas (as dh must drive 1 hour to work 5 days a week)
    $100.00 for groceries
    $20.00 for church
    $25.00 for miscellaneous (clothing, stamps, movie rental (which we have not done in well over a month, anything that is not food related)
    And if there happens to be a birthday or something I add it in)

THE GAS TAKES A HUGE BITE OUT OF OUR BUDGET!

I've never really been one to use credit cards (CC) only in emergencies and I must admit I have not EVER done a SDM redemption as I find that there is never enough sales at good prices to make it worth my while.

I don't go out of my way to get airmiles or other reward points but having said that I am rural and stores are 20 to 30 minutes away (Independent Grocers, WM, GT) and Sobey's and FB, Loblaws, RCSS are 1 hour away so it's not worth the cash/gas.

I also have OCD with driving issues so I cannot drive 1 hour away it's totally impossible to for me BUT dh does work only a few minutes away from the 1 hour stores but he almost always strays from the list...so ends up costing me a a little extra when I send him.

I am thinking about purchasing WM Gcs with my WM CC and then paying it off right away when they hand me my GC, this way I do get the 1.25% for shopping at WM, this is the ONLY credit card I find gives me the best rewards for my $ and I go to WM weekly.

I was not impressed with the bill I got today for water. What used to be budgeted at $50.00 per month has now jumped to $100.00 as we now have sewage charges included. Time to rework the budget this weekend.

This question is for Nancy as I know she uses jars or anyone else that feels that want to answer.

Do you miss not using CC for bonuses that you used to get such as SDM points, PC points, AM, CT money or Sobey's points?

I get all these points right now and do not abuse our cards. I only use them at the specific store and they are payed in full each month
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I think it all depends on the person. I am extremely frugal where is my mom is always looking for those special things and treats. She comments on how other family members if they have money they have to spend it but she is no different and do not even try to point this out as it just starts a huge fight so now I sit back and bit my tongue reminding here I cannot carry all of the bills again, I did it for way too long and cannot do it again. Especially when all of the bills are in her name and she gets mad when I phone to try to get them lowered and keeps telling me to let her do it. We are not on like week 5 and still has not phoned. She is happy to complain about how high are bills are but than she just gives them to me to pay.

Thats a tough situation Been there but with a child instead of a parent.
    Is this permanent for you?
    Sending you a virtual HUG.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I could not primarily use mainly credit cards for say 1 month to do a trial run UNLESS I paid everything I just purchased off right away otherwise you get this enormous bill at the end of middle of the month and it knocks you off your ass.

macw1960 and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Oh our furry friends, they do cost us a pretty penny but I could not imagine life without them.

On another note, I really enjoy seeing everyones menu planning

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    We use our credit card for everything. It actually helps us to keep on track. DH and I are transparent about everything we spend- it is all on the bill: The good the bad and the ugly! LOL! I make sure that he reads it!

I just finished our dinner menu for this week as well. I need to! Thanks to our menagerie and petsmart- we have had some big expenses. Pup needed a new collar(now 26 lbs), cats needed food, and I needed Nature's way spray thanks to Mr. "I only really like to poo outside, pass me the pee mat please..." (we have taken it away.) It really adds up!

Here is what we will be eating this week:

Friday- Homemade fish nuggets, lemon rice and salad
    Saturday- Homemade full dressed salsa hamburgers w/fries (treat: AMAZING chip truck 1/2 block away)
    Sunday- Ham with homemade coleslaw and potato salads
    Monday- Tortellini soup w/ homemade damper
    Tuesday- Roasted Chicken thighs w/mushroom barley and balsamic green beans (so freakin easy and yummy!)
    Wednesday- Roasted Veggie spaghetti
    Thursday- Chicken Meatloaf, brown rice pilaf and carrots.

The goods news is thanks to my previous shops, I have almost everything I need to buy for groceries. I just need fruit and some lunchey (new word!) stuff.

I can't believe that the first week of March is finished and I have spent to so much. But according to my meal plan, and budget we are on track .
    matty's mom, macw1960 and lecale like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I like the jars or envelopes, this is an example of 1 weeks cash out (does not include my payments such as mortgage, car insurance, etc)
    $150.00 for gas (as dh must drive 1 hour to work 5 days a week)
    $100.00 for groceries
    $20.00 for church
    $25.00 for miscellaneous (clothing, stamps, movie rental (which we have not done in well over a month, anything that is not food related)
    And if there happens to be a birthday or something I add it in)

THE GAS TAKES A HUGE BITE OUT OF OUR BUDGET!

I've never really been one to use credit cards (CC) only in emergencies and I must admit I have not EVER done a SDM redemption as I find that there is never enough sales at good prices to make it worth my while.

I don't go out of my way to get airmiles or other reward points but having said that I am rural and stores are 20 to 30 minutes away (Independent Grocers, WM, GT) and Sobey's and FB, Loblaws, RCSS are 1 hour away so it's not worth the cash/gas.

I also have OCD with driving issues so I cannot drive 1 hour away it's totally impossible to for me BUT dh does work only a few minutes away from the 1 hour stores but he almost always strays from the list...so ends up costing me a a little extra when I send him.

I am thinking about purchasing WM Gcs with my WM CC and then paying it off right away when they hand me my GC, this way I do get the 1.25% for shopping at WM, this is the ONLY credit card I find gives me the best rewards for my $ and I go to WM weekly.
    I don't do the jars but have been keeping track of everything I spend and it sure does add up quicker than you think! I wish I could get DH to do the same but he says "he knows".......sure sure

I have a terrible track record with money and am slowly starting to get my feet wet with credit,etc. Every year that passes I celebrate small victories, no matter how silly. Last Christmas was the first time we paid CASH for gifts, didn't borrow a cent. It was amazing. I am hooked! When I pay my MC bill off next week, my goal is to never carry a balance.
    Sorry to get off topic.
    Our gas bill is atrocious as well. Both Dh and I commute to work and I believe our gas a month is close to $700 depending on how much extra we are driving. Its disgusting but to live outside a big city is worth it I guess. We could never afford to live closer to his work (Milton) where townhouses are over $200K.

Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread Information