User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Shopping in USA - HST?!? :(

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

When I shop in the US, I add 30% to the price of anything I am looking at and if it's still a good deal then I buy it. I'm always prepared to pay up to 17% duty and 13% taxes. I don't shop often, always declare everything and have receipts ready. The way I see it is, add 30% when shopping and if I don't get charged taht 30% at the border then its a Bonus!

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

You do not get charged taxes or duties on groceries. I go to the US to get cheap/new and exciting groceries. For that it is worth it. I was there last week for a few hours and bought over 200$ worth of groceries, and they still made me go in and pay the taxes on the 1 pair of 14.99 leggings I bought at TJ Maxx. SO ANNOYING. But thats the law
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ericaraina View Post
    You do not get charged taxes or duties on groceries. I go to the US to get cheap/new and exciting groceries. For that it is worth it. I was there last week for a few hours and bought over 200$ worth of groceries, and they still made me go in and pay the taxes on the 1 pair of 14.99 leggings I bought at TJ Maxx. SO ANNOYING. But thats the law
    That seems so ridiculous to me! Having you stop and pay tax on $14.99 leggings -_-

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Has anyone ever been charged to bring groceries back across????

I am seriously thinking about going down just to do some grocery shopping, there are quite a few things I had last time I was in the states on vacation I would love to pick up but not sure how long I would be staying down there as I really do not have anyone to go with me.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Never... mind you, it sounds like I am in the minority because I go down there every few months to pick up ebay packages and other orders for myself and my family. We are always honest with them and yet they never charge us duty or tax on our groceries (usually under $100 though) or our other purchases.... I think our luck will run out though LOL
    Baggravation and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's hit and miss where I live...I usually never get pulled in, but I do declare roughly what I bought. I keep receipts out of sight though and never offer them unless asked, and I mention kids clothes and books purchased first. I have even declared alcohol and been waved through.
    I do find it helpful to have my 3 year old in the car; once we pulled up, I unrolled her window so the agent could see her and she ordered french fries! LOL The agent laughed and laughed and then waved us through, guess we hit the drive thru a little too often!
    Baggravation likes this.
    2011 Wins: TLC "Say Yes to the Dress" Season 3 box set, Bissell Pro-Heat 2X Upright with a years worth of formula....

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I think it depends on the customs guard and their mood or we have just hit it lucky several times. The last time we crossed the border(Fort Erie Peace Bridge) we were over there for about 5 hours. Came back with $230 for me(microwave, clothes and taxable junk food), $130 for my sisters b/f(clothes and home improvement stuff) and $60 for my sister(she bought non taxable groceries) We also had 2 18 packs of beer. We figured we would get pulled over so we just gave the girl our receipts. She looked them over for about 5 mins not saying anything to us and then handed them back and told us to have a nice day.
    Most times we cross we are coming back with $200-$300 in groceries and 1 case of beer and have only been pulled over once in 2 years. We cross about every 2-3 months and usually do it on the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls.
    I could be wrong but I think they can only charge you HST on goods that are taxable in the first place

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Where you border cross and how you speak to the border guard can make a big difference. I have crossed at about 7 different crossing in the last two years in Ontario and Quebec. I really dislike Detroit Windsor--always seems nutty busy and makes you understand why some of the border poeple can get really picky!

I always claim everything! Basic thing to do at crossing--take off your sunglasses, turn off the music, have your passports and reciepts ready, remember how long you were away (hours or days) and where you went --ie shopping, and restaurant. BUT--most of all turn and face the border guard and listen to their questions and answer honestly! I have rarely paid any duty or taxes--if I plan to make a 'big' purchase, I will plan an overnight stay, or have an item shipped to the UPS (US side) for pickup while on a vacation.
    And I just came back from a daytrip to the US today--no issues and claimed everything--even remembered to tell them I had leftovers from lunch!
    Baggravation likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by olivercat View Post
    Where you border cross and how you speak to the border guard can make a big difference. I have crossed at about 7 different crossing in the last two years in Ontario and Quebec. I really dislike Detroit Windsor--always seems nutty busy and makes you understand why some of the border poeple can get really picky!

I always claim everything! Basic thing to do at crossing--take off your sunglasses, turn off the music, have your passports and reciepts ready, remember how long you were away (hours or days) and where you went --ie shopping, and restaurant. BUT--most of all turn and face the border guard and listen to their questions and answer honestly! I have rarely paid any duty or taxes--if I plan to make a 'big' purchase, I will plan an overnight stay, or have an item shipped to the UPS (US side) for pickup while on a vacation.
    And I just came back from a daytrip to the US today--no issues and claimed everything--even remembered to tell them I had leftovers from lunch!
    Good tips. I figure the border guards are human as well and if you treat them with decency and respect then perhaps they'll let you slide LOL. We're always very attentive and polite and respectful but I think it just wasn't our day. I think the main reason we got pulled over was because the line ups were quite small. I've noticed when the lines are very large, they tend to send more people through so they don't back things up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information