User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: omg, I finally passed my G today!! the fouth time is a charm!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I didn't have any auto failure mistakes....and I really thought I nailed on this one for sure, just waiting to hear a pass from the guy, but its was not, the reason he put was "too many errors" so basically all the smallies adds up became a fail. at the end I even ask him why i fail, he just said overall I didn't check the mirror enough, he said I do check, but not enough. the dude didn't yelled to me or say anything bad the whole way......I would say he was actually nicer than the ones I got from port union. I had a really bad one once, it was an old lady examiner who like to shake her head whenever I m doing something, makes me wonder if I was doing something wrong kinda feeling, makes the whole situation really tense.

hey i_forget, one was my error was I turned my wheel left while I was waiting for the on coming traffic.....my instructor should of remind me of that at lesson times, i totally forget that rule.....isn't not paying him more $$, he is no good.
    Last edited by cinpow; Tue, Mar 19th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    Is my third time around for the G Driving exam and is a failure again.....OMG, when am I ever going to pass this @@@@! I seen people pass with one try, why the heck is it sooo hard for me. is always...."no mirror check", crap I had been looking the mirror, I don't get how is consider looking at mirror or not for them....I don't even know how much $ I already spent on this already, I always pay an instructor for lesson and stuff. so in my driving history, I did G1X2, G2X2, GX3.. .....had like at least 60 or more lessons. Pay $40/1.5hr for lessons, registration fee is $75 everytime.....yeah, do the math.....i had already spent a forture on this, still couldn't get my G. May be as my bf said I should just get off the Road!

I m so down now, I had to make a chocolate Lemon cake to feel better(used the $.88 BC cake mix)
    I would agree with other responses--bf is no help--if he qualifies, let him drive with you and help you practice (assuming he has a license and can provide REASONABLE critiques--would save you a lot on lessons).

But with regards to not passing the tests repeatedly--something must be wrong--parallel parking is almost a useless ability nowadays, but signalling, shoulder checks, and stopping completely are rarely done by many drivers I see (and don't get me started with those who talk on their phones and text [seriously] while driving).

My family never had a car before I got a license, and all my practice was with an instructor, so like you, I didn't want to have to pay again (I think I bought an extra two hours of training for 30$ total, so it was a while ago).

I know it sounds like a simple recommendation, and may be hard to do, but DON'T PANIC!!!! The test people know you're nervous, and will generally make allowances. I am sure you will get it next time, but in the meantime, listen to what pretty much everyone else has said (shoulder checks, signalling, and full stops, etc.), and practice (and if the bf doesn't want to help, might be time to look for a new one--that's another thing you'll learn )

Happy driving!!!
    gourmetsue and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by VEGAS PILGRIM View Post
    I would agree with other responses--bf is no help--if he qualifies, let him drive with you and help you practice (assuming he has a license and can provide REASONABLE critiques--would save you a lot on lessons).

But with regards to not passing the tests repeatedly--something must be wrong--parallel parking is almost a useless ability nowadays, but signalling, shoulder checks, and stopping completely are rarely done by many drivers I see (and don't get me started with those who talk on their phones and text [seriously] while driving).

My family never had a car before I got a license, and all my practice was with an instructor, so like you, I didn't want to have to pay again (I think I bought an extra two hours of training for 30$ total, so it was a while ago).

I know it sounds like a simple recommendation, and may be hard to do, but DON'T PANIC!!!! The test people know you're nervous, and will generally make allowances. I am sure you will get it next time, but in the meantime, listen to what pretty much everyone else has said (shoulder checks, signalling, and full stops, etc.), and practice (and if the bf doesn't want to help, might be time to look for a new one--that's another thing you'll learn )

Happy driving!!!
    I asked my bf what was his score when he got his G, he said 98%, hahahaa, I laughed, thought he was joking, but I_forget said he/she got 100%, may be it was true. my bf already drove for 10 years now, and he has became a reckless who like to tailgate people and stuff...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    I didn't have any auto failure mistakes....and I really thought I nailed on this one for sure, just waiting to hear a pass from the guy, but its was not, the reason he put was "too many errors" so basically all the smallies adds up became a fail. at the end I even ask him why i fail, he just said overall I didn't check the mirror enough, he said I do check, but not enough. the dude didn't yelled to me or say anything bad the whole way......I would say he was actually nicer than the ones I got from port union. I had a really bad one once, it was an old lady examiner who like to shake her head whenever I m doing something, makes me wonder if I was doing something wrong kinda feeling, makes the whole situation really tense.

hey i_forget, one was my error was I turned my wheel left while I was waiting for the on coming traffic.....my instructor should of remind me of that at lesson times, i totally forget that rule.....isn't not paying him more $$, he is no good.
    lots of little mistakes are probably bad habits you have picked up.
    go through your test and make corrections to all of those things until you have broken your habits. You have til July, so book for June so you have time in case you do fail again, and practice.

i would not waste more money on an instructor. You have the test paper, you know what you need to fix.
    gourmetsue, PammieD and oscarandme like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I passed each test on the first time. Not checking your mirrors is a big no-no, and my sister and cousin both failed multiple times because of it. You have to be sure that they can see you checking the mirrors, it is important for you to know what is around you at all times

As for driving too slow, that is also a no-no. My instructor told me this right off the bat when I was doing my test many moons ago. He said go with the flow of traffic or the posted speed limit

When I was doing my G they pretty well gave me everything on the test - parking up hill, parking down hill, getting on and off the highway twice, parallel parking, multiple lane changing, left turns & right turns

Just relax, don't be nervous! When you are nervous that's when you make mistakes, keep calm and drive with confidence
    gourmetsue, PammieD and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

AWWWE, oh poor little cinpow!

I''m so sorry little one. From your responses cinpow here is what you need to do:

1. Schedule your test in the summer. Nicer weather, so easier no weather conditions to worry about.

2. Schdedule out of town. My niece is the worse driver in Canada. She will admit it herself and she failed I believe it was 5 times and she finally went to Rockland witch is about half and hour away from where we live and considered the outskirts of Ottawa an she passed. Muchmore leniant and if she can pass cinpow YOU can pass. This is the girl that while driving, smoking is her priority not safety, she looks at her cigarette lighter and while lighting her cigarette she lights her wool glove index on fire. I was there and if I wasn't there I would not have believed it. She had muscle car a TRANS-AM and it was beautiful (this was years ago) TRANS-AM is the clue...it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. She didn't get hurt by the way but she should never ever had gotten her liscence. I always was in fear when I was in her car but it was so cool.

3. BF needs to shut up. You need to be confident about your driving and study the notes for all past tests for reasons for failures and ask someone else to be in the car with you and see if they can recommend what you are doing well or need to improve.

4. Don't expect to pass. It is a test and if you aren't ready, if he or she feels you are not confident enough she will sense this and will not pass you. Drive with a friend often not BF and concentrate on your moves, actions. As bf if she/he can video tape on dash you while driving and pretend your bf is not there.

You can do this cinpow, you're a strong woman, providing for her family, you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to. You are saving for your family and driving to me is as always a priveledge not a right. You have your life and others in your hands and total concentration is important.

When I took my driving lessons. First words from my instructor was treat every driver like an idiot. You need to focus, listen, watch and not listen to the radio and always be alert because there are several drivers on the road and not always engaged on driving, weather conditions, slipping on the rules,signs and courtesies on the road therefore you need to anticipate every move they will be doing.

That tought me to:

1. I always check my wheels (enough air or flat) and dints if any on my car.

2. Fix your mirrors, check your gas, turn on lights.

3. Signal when leaving.

4. Merge slowly.

5. Check your mirrors every 30 seconds.(always be aware of your surroundings).

6. Be alert.

7. Always watch your speed limit. If you cannot see it do 40?

8. When you see the little man on the walking lights at traffic lights, you have a fresh light, you can proceed.
    When you have the hand start slowing down, (not necessarily breaking). your light will turn yellow soon
    or is already and too late it's turning red.

9. Always wear your seat belt of course.

10. Do not follow too closely like bf. You know that one already.

I have had my licence since I was 27 and am 51 now and I remember passing my test. That person taking the photos after you just passed the driving test must see their share of teeth and gums. I had the biggest smile I'm surprised the lense caught it all. I had hosted a Tupperware party a few weeks prior and I had just received my order and I personally delivered the orders in the rain in the evening and then I went to Place d'Orleans Plaza/mall and forget to remember where I parked my car. It was the best day ever. I screamed out of excitement to myself in the car.

You will have that moment too soon and we want to hear about it. You have your team behind you and we know you can do it.

P.S. If you have a low cut top and a high skirt and good high heels, couldnt hurt. Have a sweater in case you need to cover up.

also when you get better you can listen to radio and maybe teach bf how to drive better.
    by the way DH failed 5 times.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Tue, Mar 19th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
    VEGAS PILGRIM likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Funny story for me.....the night before my test, my dad and I are discussing things and we are discussing parking on a hill. He INSISTS he is right. Against my better judgement, I turn the wheels the way he says too on the test. Sure enough-wrong. I go home and get all teenage snippy with him. He then goes to work and ask his colleagues. Sure enough, he'd been doing it wrong for 25 years!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    P.S. If you have a low cut top and a high skirt and good high heels, couldnt hurt. Have a sweater in case you need to cover up.
    Don't wear high heels during your test.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There as been a lot of great advice here.

i will say though, that driving is judged a LOT differently now than 20 years ago before graduated licensing happened.

In all honesty, I would not personally take driving advice from anyone who did not go through graduated licensing because although they are experienced, they were graded on a much different system than what you are being graded on.

Graduated licensing came in the year after I turned 16, so in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post

7. Always watch your speed limit. If you cannot see it do 40?
    The speed limit of city streets in Ontario is 50, unless otherwise posted.

if you do not see a sign, do 50.

And I forgot to say, one of the most irritating things that people do is not getting up to speed when they pull out in front of someone.
    when you pull out into traffic, make sure that you get up to speed quickly. If you force the driver behind you to brake or switch lanes, then you pulled out without enough space or did not get up to speed quickly enough.
    Last edited by i_forget; Wed, Mar 20th, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
    CrazyQT, PammieD and Tbites like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I remember I spent thousands on my driver's training as well. I passed my G1, G2, and G all on the first try but it was just because I didn't "feel" ready and I didn't have any other car to practice on (everyone I knew had a standard - I was not going to drive a standard in downtown Toronto!). Have you gone through a lesson with Young Drivers? They gave me the proper timing to check my mirrors to pass. Most trainers in the YD course also know the exact route they will take you on in the

There are different locations in T.O. with different pass/failure rates. I took my G2 and G at the Downsview location, which at the time, had one of the largest failure rates in the GTA. It was over 50% anyways. I was worried that they were going to ask me to parallel park, so I practiced, practiced, practiced. It was the only thing I knew I could do really well, and I never got asked on a test. But, that gave me the confidence I needed.

Wear comfortable shoes. I think I wore huge boots or running shoes in mine. It was winter and high heels or nice shoes will not give you the tread you need on the pedals if there's a bit of water on them. My tester was an older lady and I probably would have ruined any credibility if I had heels, a short skirt, and a low top.

The speed limit is 50 km/hr in the GTA, unless otherwise noted. Watch for school zones, which may reduce the speed to 40 km/hr. If traffic allows, or unless you're speeding up/slowing down to merge with traffic, go within 5 km above or below the speed limit at all times, but drop back to the speed limit when you can, as close to it as you can.

Do exaggerate your head movements as you check your mirror, but don't be ridiculous. All they need is to see your chin move an inch to the left or the right. Don't just move your eyes.

I think bad weather conditions seem to work in my favour. I took my G exit in the worst snowstorm of the year. On the radio, they warned people to stay off the roads. There was three inches of snow on the highway and I had to change lanes on the 400-series highways to avoid car parts from previous accidents. The other benefit was the slower speeds so you have much more time to react and do all your head turning.

I am far from being the best driver on the road, or even a good one. DH is worse than I am in his driving habits, but he can maneuver quickly and react appropriately to people who make stupid, risky moves. He's never had an accident, but someone ran me off the road once and I have one car write-off to my name, so I can't complain.

Try to relax and remember that the tester beside you is human and not an ogre. They need clear signals and they're not looking to fail you, but we all have bad days sometimes and they're doing what they can to keep drivers that don't meet certain expectations off the road. I hope you feel better soon and will give it another try when you're ready.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Wed, Mar 20th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
    abbasgirl and gourmetsue like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Try also saying out loud what you're doing...like you're going through a mental check list of things.

Thats what I did back in the day. Right from when we left the parking lot....I would "whisper/talk" my actions:
    Come to a complete Stop.
    Check both ways. pull out.
    Check mirrors etc etc.
    If they can hear you a bit it will draw their attention to your actions.

I dont think parallel parking is a useless ability at all!!!! Especially in this day and age when EVERYONE drives and parking spots are at a minimum.
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Wed, Mar 20th, 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you're absolutely right that the current system is a cash grab (and yet, our government never seems to have money...)

I'm sorry that you failed. My advice reflects what has been repeated in this thread - they want you to exaggerate your movements. Make it a show - turn your neck, lean forward to look in your mirrors, merge quickly onto the highway (follow recommended speed limits), don't drive too fast or too slow, recognize the flow of traffic. It can be intimidating, but try to remember that it'll be over in a few minutes.

I had to go out of town for my license because the appointments were all booked up at my local centre. What I saw there just reinforced how much of a scam the system is - driving instructors were backing into the parking centre before examiners came out - when the examiners see your car parked in reverse, they often don't require you to demonstrate reverse parking because they assume you know how to do it (since you were in reverse when they came out). This was being done in full view of examiners standing outside, so it's not like people don't know what goes on there.

It's ridiculous and it does nothing to assure me of the driving capabilities of people on the road.

Honestly, people forget the rules of the road as soon as they're done their test. Back to tailgating, not signalling, and driving aggressively. The tests serve very little purpose, but I get that there are not really many viable alternatives.

I actually think an anger management test should be part of the requirement when getting your driving license.
    Last edited by Aimz; Wed, Mar 20th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Insane, gourmetsue and oscarandme like this.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

When I did my test I wore a nicely sized hat to capture the attention of the instructor every time I looked somewhere
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Pretty sure the test examiners have a quota to make every day.

I failed my G2 and G once.

Nothing more intimidating than walking into the office and seeing girls come out of the office bawling their eyes out.

Confidence is key. My G test that I passed, my examiner and I ended up talking about the weather and having a full out conversation and laughing about something. If you make them feel comfortable that's what they are looking for.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    Pretty sure the test examiners have a quota to make every day.

I failed my G2 and G once.

Nothing more intimidating than walking into the office and seeing girls come out of the office bawling their eyes out.

Confidence is key. My G test that I passed, my examiner and I ended up talking about the weather and having a full out conversation and laughing about something. If you make them feel comfortable that's what they are looking for.

And, obviously not driving into a ditch. But yeah just like what everyone else said, you also have to exaggerate your motions when checking blind spots.
    oscarandme likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information