User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Petcetera undercharged us, now wants us to pay difference!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

update: my husband said that it scanned at the correct price, but the employee entered it wrong in the debit machine.

I feel that this is still their mistake and we should not be put through the inconvenience of going in to correct it. I am tempted to return the darn thing and get our money back and tell them we will not be shopping there anymore...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Wouldn't they be able to take payment over the phone rather than your going back to the store to correct their error? Oh wait, it was debit was it?

While it doesn't sound like they handled it well, I'd be giving back the money, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sat, Apr 20th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Luvmacoupnz and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemisssmiles View Post
    update: my husband said that it scanned at the correct price, but the employee entered it wrong in the debit machine.
    Ok that does make this a little different. You made it sound like it scanned at the wrong price as well. True its the employee's mistake and such, but I feel like your husband should have said something when he saw the mistake on the debit machine.

I know I would have, there's no way my morals would let me not say anything because with something like this, the cashier's till would have been short at the end of the day and I bet anything that management threatened to take it out of their pay cheque.
    Last edited by GracieAnne; Sat, Apr 20th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Personally, I would go back and pay the correct price. I think it works both ways.
    thriftygranny and oscarandme like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

The fact that is was a debit error does make a difference to me. I personally would not want an employee to be out of pocket because they made an innocent mistake...and given that it could play out that way, I would go back and pay the difference. Again, if I was over-charged, I'd expect them to make it right...sometimes things need to work both ways.
    Lori, Natalka, ancarett and 5 others like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

not sure..maybe some questions will help you decide?

1. how far away is the store..will you be around that area anytime soon
    2. how much did your husband pay in total
    3. would you tell your kid/pastor etc that you did not go back.would you tell them about if you did
    4. how would you feel if the person who made the error was you or your kid
    5. could this be a learning opportunity for your husband
    6. would you describe going back v.s not going back regarding a job interview question e.g what is more important ethics or accuracy
    Last edited by frugalkitty; Sat, Apr 20th, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
    kidsteph, DianneS, Tbites and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Littlemisssmiles!

That does cast a different light on things. Yuk!!!!I think I would pay it too. I get letters and numbers mixed-up too, that is why I do not work in these fields. That is human error but if you and DH feel strongly about it, that is your call. Speak to HQ and see what happens if you want, they might waive it ornot. Good luck!

I feel that this is still their mistake and we should not be put through the inconvenience of going in to correct it. I am tempted to return the darn thing and get our money back and tell them we will not be shopping there anymore...
    Cocottee00 likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

They can't make you pay anything. They screwed up so they will have to adjust the price for that transaction to $30 less and accept the loss.
    RebeccafromHalifax likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

l believe l would either give them my credit card number over the phone to them if l didn't want to go back or let them know when you will be in the area again and then pay. The poor cashier will probably be written up for this and as humans we all make mistakes. Do the right thing and you will feel better about it.
    ancarett likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I i was buying something, and there was a mistake made in paying the wrong amount, i would feel i need to be good about it and make sure the balance is paid.
    DianneS, Cocottee00 and oscarandme like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkypie View Post
    They can't make you pay anything. They screwed up so they will have to adjust the price for that transaction to $30 less and accept the loss.
    I agree they can't make you pay and it was there mistake. It happened a few times at work - once a cashier entered the wrong amount in the debit machine, the customer just did there PIN number etc and then when I did the balancing of the till at the end of the night I noticed she was out I think it was $15.00. I didn't call the customer or anything or suspend the optimum points card until the person came back. Just educated the cashier and moved on.
    luckbealady and oscarandme like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think I would be in shock that they tracked me down. We had this happen at work, I was working with someone else and he introverted 2 numbers. Instead of telling me 162 he told me 126, no one noticed until we went to close off that day. We knew who the customer was and had a phone number as we are required to collect this information for all customers who do not have an account with us. We spoke with our controller asking him what we should do as it was our mistake, he told me the amount wrong and I entered it (our debit machines are not connected to our computers). In our case our controller asked what happened we explained we were busy his customer was waiting well mine used the machine (we only have one) and the error occurred. He told us it would be written off and not to involve the customer as it was employee error.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccafromHalifax View Post
    I agree they can't make you pay and it was there mistake. It happened a few times at work - once a cashier entered the wrong amount in the debit machine, the customer just did there PIN number etc and then when I did the balancing of the till at the end of the night I noticed she was out I think it was $15.00. I didn't call the customer or anything or suspend the optimum points card until the person came back. Just educated the cashier and moved on.
    How is this even a possibility when the transaction would not be able to complete unless full payment was received? The customer would not have had his bill to take with him and the cashier would not be able to start a new transaction until she tendered the remaining amount.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My husband bought a dog backpack the other day at Petcetera. He was charged the wrong price (about $30 less) but didn't notice right away.

Today he got a call from the store (we're assuming because he used their member card) and want him to come back in to pay the difference.

This seems crazy to me - it was their error, and now we have to be inconvenienced to go back and correct it for them???

What should we do?

Yes, it's their mistake that they entered the wrong amount in the debit however I know for myself that I would notice there was a mistake when I was using my debit. I always make sure the total matches the cash register. If it was a difference of $3 I could see not catching the mistake right away but $30 is a pretty large difference to not notice.

Are you obligated to go back and pay the $30? Obviously you feel you shouldn't have to but if it were me and I somehow missed the error at the store and they phoned me I would do what is right and go back and pay the difference. It was a HUMAN error. My morals are worth more than $30. Do what you think is right in your heart.

I don't know why you would take the product back and return it and not shop there anymore? Your husband purchased the product knowing the price was what he paid PLUS $30 now you are threatening to never shop there again because they want you to pay the difference that you know you should have paid in the first place? Hmmm
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Sun, Apr 21st, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Carlotta likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

its their mistake. i would never pay it back. they messed up.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information