User Tag List

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree1457Likes

Thread: Discuss New Rules for Package Trains & Win a Gift Card :)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Thanks, Nat77. That makes perfect sense...especially with the number of posts to read every day, the number of riders to manage, etc.

I can see where all of this gets very complicated for Jez. The pros and cons could go on forever! Big trains can be unwieldy but if only one package train runs at a time then 14 seats is not enough. Smaller trains complete more quickly which is great, but for those of use who leave for work at 6:30 a.m. and don't get home for 10-12 hours later the chance to get on the train is pretty low and it is a long wait until the next train.

What about the idea of running a train with two cars of 14-16 seats each....with co-hosts? i.e. Chefs/Bakers or Foodies Car 1 and Car 2 to accommodate approximately 30 people. Separate threads, same rules for each car. Both cars would be more intimate, easier to manage and should complete around the same time. I would be willing to work with an experienced conductor to host the second car....or if someone else who has hosted before would want to step and host car 2, that would be even better
    Last edited by DianneS; Mon, May 20th, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typos
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    539 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cherielake View Post
    These are my 2 biggest concerns aswell I stated that before, lol

But I think the foodie train for people who love to eat, and the cooks, or chefs train would be super fun, same with a shoe box train! I would be game for those.. just the shoe box one got me thinking of postage and t might be a lot because of the size of the box. And shoes come in MANY different sizes. How would we know what size of box everyone has? Maybe we could do this with a general shoe box size? Or even as Fallen shared with the pm, a $20 limit shoebox would be interesting.
    Cherie,

You're awesome! Therefore, any package you send will be awesome too

You make SO many homemade things... you can add those to any package. Most of us SC'ers love something homemade!

Shipping for me has always been around the $13-$20 mark. Have you signed up for the VentureOne card from CP? Its FREE to join and saves $$ when shipping packages. You also get the insurance added and tracking number for no additional charge.

You shouldn't be scared Cherie... I know you would send an amazing package. And, I would be your buddy any day of the week

Trading Score
    174 (100%)

Last edited by cmontario; Mon, May 20th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Trading Score
    174 (100%)

or we could do a "sample package" I got this awesome package too, again you can also put in a box like above from the dollar store or places that sell these boxes lol

Last edited by cmontario; Mon, May 20th, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I'm excited for all the new ideas, and look forward to jumping on a few.

I still really hope that the no limit Christmas in July is still a go!
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Frugal is not being cheap cherielake's Avatar
    Trading Score
    397 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nat77 View Post
    Just writing this suggestion here, while I think of it.... Maybe we could do an a little "arts and crafts" train? You could either put arts and crafts supplies for kids on your wishlists (which my kids go through A TON of!!), or I know a lot of ladies--myself included--are knitters, scrapbookers, sewers... can baking be considered an arts and crafts? Anyway, just thought I would mention it.

Also, I would be more than happy to conduct a Foodie package train. This way we could be inclusive of the Bakers, the Cooks and the people who just love to eat!! It could be just a small (say 14 people?) train, and then if it takes off, maybe another conductor could do a more specific "cooks only" or "cupcake only" or something like that train.
    These are my 2 biggest concerns aswell I stated that before, lol

But I think the foodie train for people who love to eat, and the cooks, or chefs train would be super fun, same with a shoe box train! I would be game for those.. just the shoe box one got me thinking of postage and t might be a lot because of the size of the box. And shoes come in MANY different sizes. How would we know what size of box everyone has? Maybe we could do this with a general shoe box size? Or even as Fallen shared with the pm, a $20 limit shoebox would be interesting.
    I forgot to mention I love the arts and crafts idea too!!

I would like to throw out there that I know its alot of work to run a train, and I could only imagine how it is to run a package train. I dont see why We couldn't do 2 trains running at once. I would be up for conducting one of the trains I mentioned. I personally feel that people do not need to ride every train. The lists of trains going to be run is great, and people can pick and choose, and I know not every single person will be happy, unfortunately no one can please every single person all the time. But the list of up coming trains should be a great way for everyone to be able to choose a train that best suits them.

If we have one train just about done, why not start another train this also gives others a chance to get in before all the seats fill up and people can get more of a variety(?) of riders. I also don't think people should be able to request their buddy. I think names should be drawn from a hat or something. Just my thoughts of course
    Last edited by cherielake; Mon, May 20th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Angela273, DianneS and CheriBomb like this.

Looking for some cute or fun handmade gifts? Check out my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/bowtique.ccs

Trading Score
    397 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin9211 View Post
    Cherie,

You make SO many homemade things... you can add those to any package. Most of us SC'ers love something homemade!

Shipping for me has always been around the $13-$20 mark. Have you signed up for the VentureOne card from CP? Its FREE to join and saves $$ when shipping packages. You also get the insurance added and tracking number for no additional charge.

You shouldn't be scared Cherie... I know you would send an amazing package. And, I would be your buddy any day of the week
    The last package train I did was the back to school train $20 limit (loved it!!) But the shipping was still $21! I think it depends where you live, cause IM out in the boonies its more expensive. Maybe next time if I have the option I'll mail from the city, lol!

And thank you pumpkin! I appreciate the kind words!

Trading Score
    174 (100%)

me too

Quote Originally Posted by K8's Fate View Post
    I'm excited for all the new ideas, and look forward to jumping on a few.

I still really hope that the no limit Christmas in July is still a go!
    Angela273 and K8's Fate like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Venture One allows you to send expedited, around the same price as parcel but with tracking and a guaranteed delivery date

For example, a 20cm cube box (20x20x20) at 2lbs would cost $28 to mail from ON to a friend in NS by XpressPost, using a Venture One card, you can send this Expedited Parcel for under $15 with tracking and 4 day guaranteed

It is well worth signing up for just for this is you are riding package trains
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/busi...itedparcel.jsf
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    397 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Venture One allows you to send expedited, around the same price as parcel but with tracking and a guaranteed delivery date

For example, a 20cm cube box (20x20x20) at 2lbs would cost $28 to mail from ON to a friend in NS by XpressPost, using a Venture One card, you can send this Expedited Parcel for under $15 with tracking and 4 day guaranteed

It is well worth signing up for just for this is you are riding package trains
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/busi...itedparcel.jsf
    Thanks Ladies!! I signed up

Trading Score
    303 (100%)

The last package train I did was the back to school train $20 limit (loved it!!) But the shipping was still $21! I think it depends where you live, cause IM out in the boonies its more expensive. Maybe next time if I have the option I'll mail from the city, lol!

And thank you pumpkin! I appreciate the kind words!

Cherie,

Cherie was my buddy last year for the St patty's train and she sent me an awesome package!!!

Trading Score
    397 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shawlightning View Post
    Cherie was my buddy last year for the St patty's train and she sent me an awesome package!!!
    That was my very first package train, I was sooo nervous you have no idea!

Trading Score
    130 (96%)

LOL I got one of the Shaw's for my first one as well! I was TERRIFIED! I kept second guessing everything I had in the box!

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Ok, I'm going to add my $0.02.....I have read the thread and debated posting, but I'm going to lol mainly because I love the package trains! I apologize in advance if this is a long winded post

I have selectively ridden package trains for about two years on and off.....my first one was a dud lol I was partnered with the conductor since I was new, I was also the last one to receive my package, and I'm pretty sure the person threw together a bunch of random things with little thought. I had to ask repeatedly for updates on my package, and am convinced that the person waited until well after the mail date to send! Needless to say I was discouraged, and will not ride a train with that person again - I never considered making a 'formal complaint' I just figured this was a risk of riding - all of the requirements were fulfilled, albeit late. I sat out for several months, but jumped back on at Christmas time.

I've chosen which trains to ride for various reasons, themes, finances at the time etc. I have never felt that I was trying to infiltrate a 'clique' of any sort - in fact just the opposite....the 'regular' riders are super awesome and welcoming to everyone! I'm not able to ride as many trains as others, and I am ok with that. I focus on the ones that are most important to me!

I'm glad the post limit has been lowered - I too found it difficult to chat that much (shocking I know) and also to keep up with a large train after a weekend with 3 or 5 pages to catch up on! I like having a minimum as I have been one of those who hopes their buddy will provide more insight answering questions etc.

I have also conducted a package train - my first! Last summer it was a $20 limit train....and to be brutally honest I HATED the limit! It cost almost as much to mail as it did to buy the items! I have a budget and stick to it! It was also like pulling teeth to get people to join my train when there was a 'no limit' train available. I ended up with 8 riders and none were ones who where complaining about limits.....super frustrating!

I love shopping and this allows me to shop A major part of these trains (for me anyway) is being able to shop for someone else and indulge them! I rarely shop for myself as I can't always justify the extra expense, but if I'm shopping for someone else it's allowed lol

I understand what others are saying in regards to what I call 'pkg train anxiety' - the "I hope my buddy likes it, did I spend enough money etc" <---I'm pretty sure there are seasoned package train riders who suffer from this - it's human nature to want to please others! As far as I'm concerned, if you have followed the rules as to how many / what type of items you are sending and have put thought into it your buddy will appreciate / love it!

I like being able to reserve people, but maybe not post in the train? I've never been reserved, but I'm ok with that - my feelings weren't hurt and I had awesome buddies who spoiled me! I have requested a buddy once - it was because she sent me an amazing package when I was skeptical about trains (had just ridden the dud train) and I was having a tough time with DH. I wanted to repay that kindness, and we also have things in common so I knew it would be a blast to shop for her.

What if we had two trains running, but one could be limited by size rather than by $$ amount One could be a specific box size (shoe box, pizza box etc) and the other no limit? That way people would be able to spend / stack / use stockpile etc as they wished, but it would be a challenge to only fill the specific box.

I also like the idea of having upcoming trains listed.....that way I can plan in advance for what I want to ride! I do love these trains and hope they continue as they have been - Jez you are awesome! There is no way I could do what you do with these trains. Thank you for all your hard work!

Phew! Ok, that's my $0.02.....ok, maybe $0.10 since I have been all over the map!

Trading Score
    303 (100%)

It was my first package train too!!!
    cherielake and chesterjes like this.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread Information