User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Who brings children to a horror movie?

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

This afternoon my boyfriend and I went to see "The purge" at empire theaters. We're both huge horror movie fans. Anywho, once we got settled in I noticed two women come in with two younger children, they couldn't have been older than 10 years old. I thought maybe they made a mistake but sure enough they sat down a few rows in front of us. The movie was was very violent and the entire time I couldnt help but think "those poor kids". I don't know why any parent would bring a child to a movie like that. Really makes me wonder..
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Far too many poeple it would appear take under-aged children to those kind of movies "becasue we(the parents/care-givers) feel they are mature enough)..

I just wish the movie threatre staff would actually enforce the rating wrt children. A couple of years ago, I was at either a 16 or 18 (Qc rating) on a Tuesday matinee along with many other adults and a few women and thier small children. The children couldn't sit still and screamed and fussed during the scary stuff..I got soo fed up I compplained to the staff and ended up with a compilmentry ticket to another matinee but my afternoon was ruined and that movie had moved on by the next Tuesday..

I'm not sure who enjoyed that particular viewing since the parents kept "shushing" the children and telling them to sit down..the children didn't enjoy it since they were constantly told be be quiet and sit down..I didn't enjoy it since I was there to watch an adult movie around adults...many of the other adult patrons didn't enjoy it either..
    walkonby, smileyKT and oscarandme like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

this is something that frustrates me beyond compare.. adult movies are for ADULTS you should not have a kid at an adult movie.. teen.. ok.. kid no.. children need to be children they do not need to be exposed to horrors and killing and fear at a young age.. i don't care if parents think "my kid can handle it" well you kid shouldn't have to handle it..

don't even get me started on "super hero" movies.. there is a big disconnect between the movie and the merchandising.. they sell soo many products aimed to young children, characters are based on comics meant for children.. but the movies are for adults (and adults.. take their young children to them)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Strange. I remember not being allowed.into 18+ movies when I was 12-13.... The staff shouldn't let kids into those movies period. Parents just don't care.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I loved horror movies as a kid...The scarier the better so as long as the kids willingly wanted to see the movie I don't see a problem with it. Now if they were freaking out or crying and scared sort of thing then the parents need a swift kick for bringing the kids along...
    lekate, DaveP, jessep13 and 2 others like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

friends of ours are too cheap to hire a babysitter and take their kids to romances that the kids are bored to tears watching.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Sun, Jun 9th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
    kidsteph and oscarandme like this.

Expert in My Town :) thriftymom75's Avatar
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

It's just not right. I myself do not like horror movies because they are so scary lol. They make them so real and graphic nowadays. So therefore I can't imagine bringing kids to them. Get a sitter if you want to go. I haven't been to a theatre for a long time. As I've started over and have 2 more under 3 again. Never would I take them to a movie let alone a horror movie. Some people just think of theirselves instead of what it will do to their children and how it will affect people around them. I hate "those" people. Get a babysitter or watch a movie on the tv in your home if you can't get one.
    2shopmom and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

i didn't think kids were allowed into horror movies...i personally don't go cause they scare the crap outta me and i can't sleep for days
    lilo0003 and oscarandme like this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I don't know about other provinces but in Ontario unless the movie is rated "R" (no admittance to anyone under 18), a child of any age can get in to any movie no matter how gory as long as someone over the age of 18 is accompanying them. Theatre staff cannot refuse admission to people bringing toddlers to an 18+ movie. We can however ask them to leave if the child(ren) are disruptive.

Every time a horror/explicitly graphic movie comes to our theatre you will see people bring very young (<5) children into to them. And you can't dare explain to the parent the rating and it may not be appropriate for their small children or boy will you get an earful. I've witnessed, more than once, a child run from a movie screaming and throw a fit in the lobby refusing to go back inside because he was so horrified.

I really don't understand some people. Going to a movie is not a necessity. If you want to see a scary movie, get a sitter. If you can't get a sitter don't go or go see a child appropriate movie instead. You shouldn't traumatize your children so you can be entertained for 2 hours.
    Earn Paypal $ or Amazon gift cards every week doing searches and surveys with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/xXtiggerXx
    Earn quick money with short/easy surveys from Legerweb: https://legerweb.com/FOF6P

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

we saw the purge on friday night as well, it was incredibly violent...our theatre was FILLED with a bunch of 15 year old children (the child behind us kept insulting all of friends and calling them "lovely" names that bordered on homophobic. I remember being 15 and trying to go see the very first resident evil movie and being denied because I wasn't 18 (nor were any of my friends). I found the purge to be far more violent than that. However, with being able to purchase a ticket kiosks, online etc, the only defense we have is a like minded 15-17 year old child standing there taking the movie stub.

I could not imagine taking my child to see that particular movie, however I will say my son is rather interested in zombies and has sat through an episode or 2 of the walking dead (thanks hubby), and portions of the dawn of the dead (thanks again hubby) and neither one has made him flinch, nor kept him up at night. The only thing it did is make him ask why he's no longer able to watch any new episodes (ughhh) and if we can take him to see world war z when it comes out(definitely not) LOL

ETA: in all fairness these kids are probably playing call of duty at home.. and have already sat through the sinister movie (which was an even more gruesome ethan hawke movie, that I couldn't even sit through), really what is a craptacular movie about us murdering one night a year going to do to their psyche, that hasn't already been damaged lol

BTW did anyone else who has seen this notice just how darn old ethan hawke is getting. It almost took away from the movie haha
    Last edited by ex0ticb3lla; Sun, Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
    oscarandme likes this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Smart Canuck couponclippercaitie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    171 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    friends of ours are too cheap to hire a babysitter and take their kids to romances that the kids are bored to tears watching.
    Not sure how much movies cost where you are... But for us it'd probabally be cheaper to hire a babysitter for a few hours than take 2 kids to the movies haha
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

A long time ago I went with a friend to a theatre playing Chinese movies.. we snacked on dried cuttle (sp) fish yumm.. anyways.. it was a martial acts movie, extremely graphic.. when the actors attacked each other, they ripped through skin with their bare hands and tore out organs and intestines.. I was traumatised.. It was a family audience... there were kids of all ages, some looked to be 2 or 3.. I don't think kids should be permitted to view horror and violence.. I don't watch horror movies.. i've no idea how a child processes it..
    walkonby and oscarandme like this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I went to see Ted with my fiance when it came out. The people beside us we're (I`m assuming) brothers, one was 18 or so and the other was MUCH younger. Perhaps 11, 12? I`m thinking younger....

The Lotion scene played and the kid asked his brother ' I don`t get, what does that mean? ' I burst out laughing. (I have a horrible sense of humour) But the Point is, a 10 year old shouldn`t be watching 18+ movies..... Especially with that type of comic.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    THat's not cheap..that's selfish. Putting their temporary pleasure above thier childrens' and others likes.
    xox2010 and oscarandme like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xXtiggerXx View Post
    I don't know about other provinces but in Ontario unless the movie is rated "R" (no admittance to anyone under 18), a child of any age can get in to any movie no matter how gory as long as someone over the age of 18 is accompanying them. Theatre staff cannot refuse admission to people bringing toddlers to an 18+ movie. We can however ask them to leave if the child(ren) are disruptive.

Every time a horror/explicitly graphic movie comes to our theatre you will see people bring very young (<5) children into to them. And you can't dare explain to the parent the rating and it may not be appropriate for their small children or boy will you get an earful. I've witnessed, more than once, a child run from a movie screaming and throw a fit in the lobby refusing to go back inside because he was so horrified.

I really don't understand some people. Going to a movie is not a necessity. If you want to see a scary movie, get a sitter. If you can't get a sitter don't go or go see a child appropriate movie instead. You shouldn't traumatize your children so you can be entertained for 2 hours.
    Here..here.. I just wish more managers would stop people with highly under-aged children into adult movies. And let the parents throw temper tantrums like a 3 yo who knows no better.

JUst because you can be allowed in doesn't mean you should be.
    iluvcoupon and oscarandme like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information