User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: I confess

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
    Is it "stealing" if it's not paid for?
    Maybe we are getting a little excessive in our language.
    according to the web - Stealing the illegal act of taking another person's property without that person's freely-given consent - without intending to return it. Since it was in the person's cart, its in her possession and the person didn't say take it please or you can have it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    according to the web - Stealing the illegal act of taking another person's property without that person's freely-given consent - without intending to return it. Since it was in the person's cart, its in her possession and the person didn't say take it please or you can have it.
    as we know the web is a very reliable source.

Unless it's paid for how can it be their property?
    Jezebel, xox2010 and Sunshyne1 like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

according to my business law text book and my class notes - as long as its in your possession and someone takes its - considered theft- intent to buy is not necessary in some situations - but if she took it out of her cart and put it on a shelf - then no long in her possession so fair game. Since the person had the intention to buy it and its her possession.
    Last edited by anastasia1009; Fri, Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Having Social anxiety i am not one to talk to a person i dont know i cant even cross the street at the mall without having a full blown anxiety attack so talking to a stranger wont happen.Before i "snuck" just 1 not a handful..ONE of the at least 40 she had it was super obvious i was trying to find the brand she had and she knew it.Before i knew she had cleared the shelf i was trying to see if there was any at the back of the shelf as sometimes things get pushed to the back and you cant see them..then i said out loud to myself "i guess there out" before i seen them stacked on her cart

So yes i "stole" 1 can of cat food out of the at least 40 cans she had when her back was turned if i take everything off a shelf for myself which i never do and somebody makes it obvious there looking for something i have multiples of in my cart i would just take a couple back out of my cart for them to grab and walk away and let them have some.Believe me my cats not going to get mad that i only came home with 39 cans of cat food out of 40.

I dont just run around and grab things out of peoples carts but if your going to clear a shelf and not care somebody is in the aisle looking for the same product then there just as bad.

She reminded me of one of those people that block a aisle and grab everything and leave nothing for anybody else.Maybe she had the free coupon as well and wanted them all for herself.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Can Mods delete this thread please? i am feeling pretty attacked and really cruddy for taking one can of cat food from a womens cart who emptied the entire contents of the shelf into her cart..forums are my only escape and place i can open up and talk to other people and feel somewhat comfortable i cant make friends in real life because of anxiety..cant even post a light hearted confession without being called a thief..if you guys wanted to make me feel bad congrats.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by MakaylaGreen View Post
    Can Mods delete this thread please? i am feeling pretty attacked and really cruddy for taking one can of cat food from a womens cart who emptied the entire contents of the shelf into her cart..forums are my only escape and place i can open up and talk to other people and feel somewhat comfortable i cant make friends in real life because of anxiety..cant even post a light hearted confession without being called a thief..if you guys wanted to make me feel bad congrats.
    don't let these people judge what you do..who cares. No one is perfect.
    Jezebel, xox2010 and Sunshyne1 like this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

I'm sorry you are being battered over this. You did nothing wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
    Is it "stealing" if it's not paid for?
    Maybe we are getting a little excessive in our language.
    Having Social anxiety i am not one to talk to a person i dont know i cant even cross the street at the mall without having a full blown anxiety attack so talking to a stranger wont happen.Before i "snuck" just 1 not a handful..ONE of the at least 40 she had it was super obvious i was trying to find the brand she had and she knew it.Before i knew she had cleared the shelf i was trying to see if there was any at the back of the shelf as sometimes things get pushed to the back and you cant see them..then i said out loud to myself "i guess there out" before i seen them stacked on her cart

So yes i "stole" 1 can of cat food out of the at least 40 cans she had when her back was turned if i take everything off a shelf for myself which i never do and somebody makes it obvious there looking for something i have multiples of in my cart i would just take a couple back out of my cart for them to grab and walk away and let them have some.Believe me my cats not going to get mad that i only came home with 39 cans of cat food out of 40.

I dont just run around and grab things out of peoples carts but if your going to clear a shelf and not care somebody is in the aisle looking for the same product then there just as bad.

She reminded me of one of those people that block a aisle and grab everything and leave nothing for anybody else.Maybe she had the free coupon as well and wanted them all for herself.
    Jezebel, tjthemanto and Sunshyne1 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah,i should not let this bother me i did not shoot the women,her cat by the looks of it wont be starving.The sun will rise tomorrow and next time i will be faster getting to the store before the people who like to clear the shelves show up and get it all.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

Yeah,i should not let this bother me i did not shoot the women,her cat by the looks of it wont be starving.The sun will rise tomorrow and next time i will be faster getting to the store before the people who like to clear the shelves show up and get it all.
    just remember, its easy for everyone to act all holier than thou when typing on the internet
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Super Duper Smart Canuck happy_me24's Avatar
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I don't think it's a matter of "holier than thou" -- I think it's a matter of common courtesy.

But this thread probably should be deleted...it's not exactly the type of thing that looks good on the SC community, and it's these types of things that probably give couponers a bad name.

Sure, shelf clearing is not courteous either, but I don't see that woman bragging about it, and she probably would have been flamed if she did.

Sorry you feel bad now OP, but unfortunately, people have opinions and they won't always match up with yours.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I'm sorry but why do you feel the need to make this assumption? How do you know she had free coupons? What if she didn't?
    Whether she had them or not is no justification for you taking even one can from her cart. It's not your job to "punish" another shopper for clearing the shelf. The store or cashier can put a limit if they like...doesn't mean shoppers are free to help themselves to other people's carts before they hit the checkout line. *shakes head*

If someone were to reach into my cart to grab something, you bet they will hear it from me!!! I once ran into a shelf clearer in my city. I got to the shelf just 10 seconds after her and there she was clearing the entire shelf before my eyes. I was stunned. But not once did it cross my mind to reach into her cart. I just wasn't raised that way. Yes, it was frustrating but it just wasn't my day. Some days you win, some days you lose.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I guess that would be why I only carry a basket around with me. I have never had a problem with people stealing from my basket. :/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post
    I'm sorry but why do you feel the need to make this assumption? How do you know she had free coupons? What if she didn't?
    Whether she had them or not is no justification for you taking even one can from her cart. It's not your job to "punish" another shopper for clearing the shelf. The store or cashier can put a limit if they like...doesn't mean shoppers are free to help themselves to other people's carts before they hit the checkout line. *shakes head*

If someone were to reach into my cart to grab something, you bet they will hear it from me!!! I once ran into a shelf clearer in my city. I got to the shelf just 10 seconds after her and there she was clearing the entire shelf before my eyes. I was stunned. But not once did it cross my mind to reach into her cart. I just wasn't raised that way. Yes, it was frustrating but it just wasn't my day. Some days you win, some days you lose.
    And it is your job to chastiise?

I am really surprised at the reaction.

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    Did you seriously do that? Very often I have gone out of my way to go to a store (usually extremely early in the morning if it's something I really need or want) only to find the shelves empty and notice others with their carts containing multiples of the items I would like. It has never, ever entered my mind to take even one out of another persons cart. Even though they haven't paid for the items yet, these things are in THEIR cart, so I consider them as belonging to that person. I'm just wondering how you would feel if you got the very last item on a shelf and you were so excited because you wanted that item so bad. Then when you got to the till, you noticed that the item was missing, because another person had that exact coupon, expiring on that day and they really wanted to use it, and, after all, it was only ONE coupon. I'm sure you would not feel very good about it, I know I sure wouldn't.
    [QUOTE=ottawa;5491389]thank you for saying it. ive been biting my toungue[/QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by happy_me24 View Post
    I'm sorry, but if I saw someone take something from my cart, I would have told them off in a not-so-polite way. I would never take something from someone's cart...especially in the times we live in now where you could just go down the street to another store and get it (and I'm sure there are plenty of stores in and around Winnipeg).

And this kinda sounded like a brag.....
    Quote Originally Posted by shmeelady View Post
    Yeaaaah... I wouldve been miffed too and I would have let you know truat me. People have stolen from my cart a few times and it sucks. I snagged the last. Silk almond on walmarts shelf, then I turned around to grab some chicken and BAM it was gone. Real piss off because my son only drinks almond milk. I dont drive either and do you know what a big pain it would have been to pay for my groceries grab a cab and go to another store?!?!

Frankly even if she cleared the shelf who cares... I would leave it at that. What if she was buying for a shelter, or donating. You dont know that she had coupons for them or not.

I find a big difference in shelf clearing between couponers and non couponers.... and hey if you don't have coupons buy the entire shelf if you want!!! Obviously you're doing it because you need it.

I'm not sure why you posted this...

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    That isn't okay It may sound funny but how would it feel if you were on the other end and somebody stole from you?

You could have just asked and said you just wanted one. I'm sure ONE wouldn't have been a big deal.

Even if she did take lots, you don't know her situation. Perhaps she's got multiple rescue cats. Perhaps she's buying them for a disabled friend or family member who lives on a limited income and who doesn't get out often so taking advantage of the sale is critical for them.

It's never polite to clear a shelf, but it's even less polite to take something out of somebody else's cart. "Neener neener neener" isn't the appropriate response here. If you hadn't touched her cart, she'd be in the wrong to an extent for clearing a shelf and not leaving any for others. But instead, you're in the wrong tenfold because not only did you do something that is honestly worse than shelf clearing, you're bragging about it and laughing like you're some kind of hero because you 'got even' or something. That isn't funny.

You're not Robin Hood, stealing from the 'rich' and giving to those who have nothing. This isn't something to brag about. That is NOT what this community is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    Does it really matter? Cart lady got there first, fair and square, and while it may be impolite of her to take a lot, it is significantly WORSE to steal out of somebody's cart.

Would you teach your children that it's okay to steal if somebody else has a lot of something? I doubt you would.

You're not being denied the chance to purchase anything just because it's all gone. Doesn't matter if one person took a ton or a ton of people took one. It's out of stock. If there are no limits on an item and no storewide household limits, a person is free to take what they wish. Perhaps cart lady wasn't even using coupons, it was just a good sale price for her.

She might not have a stockpile, but even if she did, who cares? You have a stockpile, I have a stockpile. Neither of us would be very pleased if we went to add to our stockpiles and somebody stole our purchases out of our carts, justifying perhaps that since we already have a stockpile at home they're more entitled to the item than we are, despite us getting that item first.

Regardless, if your desired item is out of stock it can be a pain in the @$$ but you can ask for a raincheck. It may be annoying for people who don't have a vehicle to have to go back at a later date, or to have your coupon expire, but that's life.

There is no reason in my mind that justifies stealing from another person.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Wow....you sound so proud that you stole something from another customers cart and had a perfectly good defense in your opinion. THEN had the audacity add "neener neener neener". Disgusting behaviour!!

Theft is theft regardless of how big or small.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I think that if I caught someone with their hands close to my cart I would freak out. I keep my purse there, a hand near my cart would spark instant rage because I would automatically assume that the person was going for my purse.

I think you should consider yourself lucky because you could have been caught midact, they could have jumped to the conclusion you were attempting to steal her purse or something and got yourself into some serious trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Promoting stealing while being smug isn't exactly something people on this site want to see either.
    I just don't see how this was acceptable at all. No matter how badly I want something, I would NEVER take anything out of someone else's cart.

Why would you come here and post something like this? It's embarrassing for the Smartcanucks community.
    Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    I had that happen to me twice at No Frills - there was a limit of 2 and I got 2 and over 25+ left and then 20 minutes No Frills ran out and someone shopped in my cart. I got there first, I grabbed it and taking it from a cart it wrong. I gave her a piece of my mind cause it was mine and not my fault she didn't get there first and she could of went to another store. Second time it happened I was ok with it because she had problems and if people know Hamilton I was just nice to her.
    It doesn't matter if she cleared the shelf, or she had coupons she was there first and you are so lucky she didn't catch you and report you to a manager - might of got banned from the store or escorted it. So wrong on many levels nothing to be proud of cause I have been on the other side and its horrible when someone takes something from your cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccafromHalifax View Post
    some woman tried to take my chicken legs out of my cart - so wrong in so many level because how would u feel if you saw that and you wanted those items and she though the same as you are thinking. Embarrassment for this community. glad to be back in Nova Scotia finally

"If you directly or indirectly, explicitly or implicitly attack, insult, mock, moderate or tell another Smartcanucks member what to do or not do while naming them or not mentioning their name in the Rants section or any other section on SmartCanucks you will be banned period." (Boo Radley)

Please stop....as requested this thread will be expired
    *tosses mod hat in corner*
    Last edited by Jezebel; Sun, Jun 16th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I never assumed she had the free coupons i said "Maybe she had the free coupon" but the link to the printable coupon for the free meow mix coupon is circulating around facebook and coupon blogs now.The coupon also expires at the end of the month not assuming like i said "maybe she had it" it just funny that theres a free printable coupon that expires at the end of the month for meow mix and none of the other cat food brands were touched..like iams etc.

Shoot i had a free coupon just 1 that i got in the mail all i wanted was One can for a treat for my 20 year old cat..sure i could of bought him a different cant but getting one for free was nice.

Either way,i will not be back to this thread its pointless trying to defend myself because i took a 69 cent can of cat food from a women with 40 of them.I am sorry i have anxiety and am afraid to talk to people or else i would of asked her for 1 of hers like i said next time i walk get to the store earlier and beat out the people that take everything off the shelf for themselves and cant save 1-2 cans for somebody else to have.If you want a whole bunch of one item it be nice if they would call ahead to the store and pre-order or something so that there's something on the shelf for everybody to be able to purchase..or use a coupon on.

Can a mod delete or lock please? unsure how this site does things like that this thread has gone from me posting something being light hearted to a ugly thread not my intentions.Because of this i no longer feel at all comfortable posting about anything i guess i rather be a open sinner then a false saint.

Going to bed hope everybody has a great night! and hope this thread wont be here when i wake up.
    Jezebel, xox2010 and vesper like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information