User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Another Target Review

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I have mixed feelings about Target.

I've been insanely lucky with finding clothes that fit me there. I am considered "plus size" and while they do not have an actual plus size section a lot of their clothes go up to 2x sizing which is perfect for me. My dresser is now full with clothes as is my closet whereas prior I only had a few outfits. Most items ranged anywhere from $10-$25 with a few being in the $25-$50 range ($50 for pants which is fine since the competing ones I would of bought elsewhere are $110+)

I also was surprised to find a lot of summer clearance items. We were in the market for some BBQ tools as the first ones we bought were starting to rust. Guess thats what you get for buying cheap items made in China. I guess because stores are always several months ahead of a season it would make sense to them to put the summer stuff on clearance ... right at the beginning of summer.

Now what I wasn't impressed with is that the stores do not honour SCOP. Now I realised this ahead of time from reading some other reviews and I understood their reasoning of stores just opening and not everything being perfected yet. Thats fine. But its not fine that my store is one of the very few that were first to open and they are still having issues. For example I wanted to buy the Market Pantry Granola Bars that were on sale in the flyer this week for $1.50 but were scanning up at $2.49. Now this shouldn't make any difference as to how long or short a store has been open. This obviously was someone not doing their job. Of course they wouldn't honour SCOP because they don't participate which left me paying for them. I didn't mind since I intended to purchase them anyways but I could of easily saved $3. (Two different kinds)

The last thing that kind of left a sour taste in my mouth is that they do not provide their employees with uniforms. I only really noticed this because I myself was there shopping for red shirts as my employer only provided me with one shirt and I am allowed to wear others but I wanted something in the company colour so it atleast looked professional. So as I was shopping I noticed that none of the Target employees had the same shirts. They all wore red shirts and beige khakis but they weren't the same. So I asked my cashier while we were waiting to hear back from the manager regarding SCOP and she informed me that they don't provide them with any uniform whatsoever and they are actually required to buy their own work clothes that have to meet the Target specifications as to what they are allowed to wear. (Red shirt, beige khakis only) She told me that its great comfort wise but its terrible in terms of budget. I agreed with her and said "I can only imagine".

I was really shocked. Atleast my employer gave me one shirt. And they plan on giving me more once they finally get around to ordering them but for Target, a big company to not even give their employees one set? Thats just not very nice. It makes me wonder if there are other area in which they don't treat their employees so well.

I still have yet to coupon or pricematch at Target only because my Walmart is so coupon friendly that I really have no need. I think I'd also dread doing either at Target only because the cashiers probably don't know how to do either or would pull out the imaginary magnifying glass and read every single little word on the coupon thus prolonging the shopping experience when not necessary.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Target, Walmart
    vesper, KAT_5998 and Jj84jJ like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

When i was in the US awhile back i visited Target...it was okay...reminded me of a cross between Zellers and K-Mart...nothing great...overall...i found it to be messy....but items on clearance we great prices
    PurpleBunny89 and vesper like this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

In terms of the uniform - it makes total sense to me that they allow people to pick their own clothes (specific colours of course) and because of that why would they shell out money to give a uniform when the vast majority of workers wouldn't wear them?

I've worked in a lot of retail stores during high school, college and then university and honestly I picked jobs that gave me a choice in clothes. After working at Tim's in high school and being stuck in that HIDEOUS uniform (different than now) I swore never again! lol. I'm comfortable in my OWN clothes, even if its a specific colour or basic style.

I know a lot of my co-workers felt the same so from Targets standpoint, they probably view passing out a uniform to every employee as a waste of money.

As a shopper, sure it's annoying when you wear red and people keep asking you questions, but that sometimes happens even if there's a uniform. lol. I can't count the amount of times I've been asked a question while shopping. lol. Maybe I just look like I know where things are? lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@PurpleBunny89 -Lots of stores have dress codes but don't provide the uniform. My sister got hired by Danier and they required her to always wear at least one of their items of clothing so when she first started she had to buy something. They give her a discount but she still ended up paying $100+ for a skirt.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by KAT_5998 View Post
    @PurpleBunny89 -Lots of stores have dress codes but don't provide the uniform. My sister got hired by Danier and they required her to always wear at least one of their items of clothing so when she first started she had to buy something. They give her a discount but she still ended up paying $100+ for a skirt.
    OMG :/ I always thought these stores gave their employees clothing to wear during their shift. I thought they had some things in the back that they could throw on! That is seriously ridiculous. You'd have to work about 10 hours just to pay for that one piece of clothing (given you're being paid minimum wage)! I hope she was getting paid more than minimum wage. I worked retail for a while and I know they would only offer minimum wage. Granted I didn't work at a nice place like Danier.
    madchives and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

It's pretty common at most retail stores to not offer uniforms, make employees wear specific colours/styles or if its a clothing store their own clothes. Its both an upside and downside depending on how you look it.

I've worked at clothing stores and had to wear their clothes but i got a 50% discount and already wore their clothes anyway. I've also worked at Tim's where I had to wear an ugly uniform and the price came out of my cheque. Not sure about other Tim's but when I worked there they weren't free.
    madchives likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Very few retail places actually pay for uniforms.
    I love Target, I will not be shopping at WalMart anymore once my Target opens on Tuesday. I find their clothes run HUGE, which sucks because they have super cute stuff and it's all too big. And they don't have much of a selection for infants.
    madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in the US and target is not the greatest i dont even know the last time i went there!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Anyone in need of red men's polo shirts, check out Joe Fresh-$12 for one or $20 for two.

Target's wardrobe colours are limiting. I saw a couple of staff in black tank tops and khakis with red sweaters over the tops. If I did not wear those colours nor had money/friend to float me the money to buy the "uniform", I would not be keen to work there. I have worked in Chapters and there were 4 permitted solid colours for the uniform plus request that footwear not have logos.

Target Ancaster store opening-went in after 9am-no stampede, rather quiet. I told several staff I was glad that the store was finally open and was looking forward to exploring the offerings. Found the women's clothing to be not what I'd wear but I kindly think of the section as an edited boutique (same thing with lingerie/hoisery/handbags)! Am in love with bath section-cheery printed towels and some range in solid towels. Saw two shower curtains I need a second opinion on that I had not seen in the Burlington store on my April visit.
    Men's wear:t-shirts go up to XXL! Shorts go to size 38 but spotted a 40 in one colour.
    Smart product placement-laundry detergent jugs are located right next to checkout 13!

No more flickering store lights-the wind turbine of the former Zellers store is gone. Lighting is bright and even-no shadows!Hurrah! Love the red balls placed outside on the sidewalk! Starbucks is on the checkout side of store. Guest services and washrooms are near the entrance where the old Zellers cafeteria used to be. 5 tills were open. Carts are located between automated entrance and exit (latter has been reconfigured and has more streamlined look than former Zellers exit) doors.

I'd love to go back to get a cart and put some towels, a shower curtain, some groceries (located in the hinterlands on west wall but worth exploring) and laundry items in it! Back to school section/stationery was in the back corner of the store, plus there was a Crayola display in front of kids' clothing/checkout aisle.

Wanted Perrier slim cans @$4.99 if regular or lemon were in stock. No, only grapefruit and lime. Passed-went for paper plates, laundry basket, Target tote and 3M tape on clearance-well, sticker said 50 cents but it scanned at $1 and I did not realize it until I had left the store. The customer ahead of me had the same pricing issue with children's water gun toys but caught it-took awhile for supervisor to come to do price override. The crowd control tape ran the length of checkouts 1-13 in order to "channel" customers to checkouts. Bad idea as it took longer for supervisor to walk to one end then get to till.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Jul 16th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

BTW, my receipt had a 25 cent discount. I assume it's connected to my purchase of the Target tote. Will skip the survey request on receipt as I have yet to ever win a gift card (Target is offering 1 of 6 $25 gc per participating province and $1500 gc in national monthly contest) from such endeavours.

I was not told about the Target red card but the customer ahead me (bigger shop) was told about it. That's ok, I cannot afford to link anyone's card to my bank account.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not a huge fan of the Target stores in Canada so far, but I have to say I liked their decor section and they have a good selection of inexpensive cards!
    vesper likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I visited the new Target in Regina. Not impressed. The Target neat my Moms house in Ohio is MASSIVE and cheap, and the one near my Dads house in Dallas is even bigger with food and stuff.

Target Canada is just a more modern version of zellers.
    GoJays and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

if they were going to half-ass it, why even bother?

it is a nice new alternative to the stores we have, and anything is better than what zellers had become. at the same time i think they REALLY underestimated Canadians. they thought we were so desperate that we would be eternally grateful for Target Express. It is more annoying, and insulting, when you look at all they offer in the US, and how little it is represented in their Canadian stores.

if they wanted to expand north, they should have planned it a little better, and not taken over the leases in the malls that were not going to give them the square footage to bring as much as possible to the Canadian stores.

they really messed up, and we now have to wait another couple of years for them to start building proper sized Targets. All the while their image is going to crap in Canada because everyone feels like Target didn't take the Canadian market seriously, and that they thought we would be happy with token offerings.

They should have started with a few freestanding stores, instead of the 120-something that are all sub-par anyways.
    GoJays and i_forget like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I went to Target yesterday and two things impressed me.

They have on sale Nestle water 24 packs 2/$5 (Not a bad price but good when you need water) And I`m a picky water drinker.

I went to the section and there was a woman there who said the Nestle was sold out. ' But we have Target brand on sale for 1.99 ' Nope. Not happening.

I asked if they could substitute the 12 packs of Nestle water, x4 for $5. No problem. (I tried doing this at Walmart before and they wouldnt let me.)

Upon checking out there was a fellow who was very proud of his sexuality, and I had noticed a rainbow heart on the target shirt he wore that was not a sticker but had already been embroidered onto the shirts.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Not really sure about other locations but ours opened today and it was well stocked and staffed this morning.

I bought a cart full of stuff (mostly high end items) and I'm super happy! I also checked out the prices of other items to see how they compare and I really think they do! Now keep in mind, Target has higher end items so for that stuff it's a bit more but you get what you pay for.

I checked out the toy aisle since I'm wanting to start Christmas shopping and they had some great deals -- Disney Princess Doll Complete set for $89.99! I know it doesn't seem like a deal but it's hard to find and ebay/amazon wants $200! Pretty sure I'll be going back without DD to pick one up for Christmas!

Also, last time I was in the US (a couple months back) I really debated on a bathroom shelf set for $29.99. I didn't get it and kicked my butt ever since. They had it today for $24.99! YAHOO! I bought it and it was $5 cheaper than the US when I was there!

I also got a Keurig. I know WM has them going on sale for $58 in next weeks flyer but they are online at that price now so I asked and the girl called a manager and he said no problem! I was shocked, I told him I could go to WM since I didn't want to get anyone into trouble (I didn't have the online ad) but he said: "No, we keep our customers happy". WOW! I AM HAPPY!

Overall I loved Target!
    Candini and FrugalKris like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information