User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Salvation army rant

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

I usually love going to my local salvation army. Over the years I've found great clothes, furniture etc. Lately though, I've been really disappointed with the way they're running things.

First problem, I often see the staff taking things straight from the donation bin and putting them under the counter to buy later. I know this is a big no no for them to do but yet I constantly see them doing it while Im there.

Second, I went in the other say because they were having a sale on active wear tops for 2.00 each. Now when I think active wear I think sporty tops, workout gear etc. Well I guess thier idea was long sleeved tops? and a couple hoodies. I found so many nice nike, reebok etc work out tanks priced between 3.99- 6.99 I asked in these were included in the sale and they said no because they were marked as tank tops..

Third, I often donate and I know its none of my business what they do with the stuff after I donate it BUT my salvation army had an auctio every month, basically they take about 25 of the best things donated and people can bis on them through out the month, im not a huge fan f it but again not a huge deal. I donated a little fake louis vuitton purse that I had piced up at a yard sale in florida nearly ten years ago, its clear that its not real but still a nice bag. I paid about 15 bucks for it. I went in the other day and there it was in the auction case with the minimun bid $60! I explained to the cashier that I donated the bag and it is fake and I didnt pay anywhere near that for it new. She didnt seem to care at all and acted as if I was trying to get it for cheap. I even told her about the big crusty nail glue stain inside and how it has a big hole in the lining..still didnt care. I donate my things so that others can enjoy having nice things without paying an arm and a leg so that really bothered me..

Maybe Im over reacting but I should probably take a break from shopping there.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

The problem is now with all those storage war type shows everyone thinks they are on expert on what is valuable and what isn't.

Once I saw a box grater at Sally Ann's for $24.99 simply because it looked old fashioned, lol.
    anisa, lecale and xox2010 like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Our Mission store puts things on an auction site as well. All the "good" stuff. It just ensures that most of us won't bother going into the store because we know anything good will already be pulled. I understand that they need to be self supportive but it feels wrong.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Salvation Army thrift stores were sold to a private company a few years ago. SA gets part of the proceeds but the store is not what people think it is anymore....
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I didn't know that Dianne... I don't shop at SA because their stores tend to be disorganized and cluttered, but I get your frustration.
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
    Salvation Army thrift stores were sold to a private company a few years ago. SA gets part of the proceeds but the store is not what people think it is anymore....
    Oh no. I did not know this. Like OP, got some good deals a few years ago, but not so much recently.
    Candini likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I read it in our local newspaper....can't find anything when I google though that is more recent than about 2010. I find SA thrift stores ridiculously expensive these days. Often you can buy new at the same prices.
    lecale and web3 like this.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Explains why everything now seems much more pricey.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I did not know this.

I know our local SA is quite overpriced. Some of the furniture and such is virtually the price you would pay at a regular store. I still shop there, but it's not what it used to be. Our location has signs up for the prices of clothing items instead of each item having a price tag (unless the put a higher price tag on specific items). I still shop there sometimes, but I usually only have luck picking up a few things for dh...not much else.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

The last time I went to SA the action window had over 10 year old Aldo purses starting at 30.00. Then I went to the purse aisle and found real coach bags(although the insides were full of holes, chewed up gum and who knows what else) for 6.99.
    Second hand is getting really expensive and it's usually cheaper for clothing at least to buy new.
    Last edited by Lyssia510; Mon, Jun 24th, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    chewed up gun .

Must be a good story behind that, lol. JK.
    lecale likes this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Do they wash or clean clothes ..once peope donate them ?..ofcourse you are supposed to wash them once you buy them , but just wondering do they do any of these things ?

A co-worker of mine ,her father passed away. They just cleaned up his apartment , after the funeral.

They basically just went and donated all his used clothings and belongings to the SA store.

Now imagine someone wearing these clothes , jackets etc ..I guess it would be weird to wear a dead person's ( stranger ) clothes.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Salvation army and value village are too expensive for used things. (seen a pair of jeans with worn out spots for $18 when i could go buy them new for $25)
    Langley B.C has penny pinchers and Bibles for missions thrift stores , which are a lot cheaper.
    Angela273 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I also like the MCC thrift stores....Mennonite Central Committee. They have great prices.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Mine is nothing like that. Ours is small. It was built as part of the men's shelter. It's run by volunteers. The clothes aren't individually priced. Baby clothes are 50c, kids clothes are $2 and adult clothes are $3.50. Half the stuff isn't even marked. They sell it for a couple of bucks. Coats and snowsuits vary by price, but even high end ones are under $10. It's great.
    Natalka, Angela273 and coupon girl like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information