Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: money money money... :(

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

This is not an angry rant...
    Just an ouch, that price hurts comment.
    So I bought a $19 groupon that would get me $200 towards my next pair of eye glasses. I should have done the research before I bought it, but I assumed it was a great deal. Today my back up pair of glasses also broke, so I thought it was time to get a new pair.
    So I walked in to the shop... and realized that the lowest cost frames started at $129! (The higher end designer ones were upwards of $350!!!). Nicole at the front desk was amazing and helpful. She helped me find better priced options... but the lowest frames with my prescription cost me $354. Of course, with the $191 off (because of the groupon) it didn't cost me as much.. but one single pair of glasses cost me $174!!!!

On top of that, my phone stopped working properly. I spent $55 to get it fixed, but now the camera doesn't work, a small part of it is broken and everything isn't working properly yet.... This, plus a minimum $150 bill to take my bearded dragon to the vet has shaken me up. Haha, I guess this is what being a grown up is like? I'm taking a break from school so I can learn how to stop getting so stressed but now I'm dealing with the stress of real life- job searching, added sudden expenses, and family expectations.

On the positive side, I'm meeting a lot of people, growing as a person, and couponing has definitely been saving me so much money! I'm putting together a package of coupons for the local womens' shelter today.. and just thinking about other people and doing a small bit for them makes me grateful for all I have.

Thank you for being an awesome community and giving me a place to rant (and feel better even as I type this).
    Much love,

VeeBee
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

glasses are such a huge expense.. if you know your perscription you can always try clearly contacts online.. they sell all sorts of glasses at a large discount (and often have a "first pair free" promo)
    ticul, vesper and oscarandme like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I think we got sucker into that glasses deal too thinking its such a good deal. I told my mom I'd get my brother his glasses. Turns out I had to paid an extra $120. I think that place is so overpriced on glasses. And I feel your pain because my iPhone broke on my too. Had to go get it repair just to find out I needed a new one. There goes $159. Hubby wasn't too happy I was spending over $300 in just a couple days. But it's uncalled expenses. I think we should just start a "uncalled expenses savings" lol but totally feel your pain!!!
    ticul, wolfwoman, vesper and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Welcome to adulthood...groan. Im 41 and STILL sometimes with I lived at home with my mommy to take care of me!! LOL

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Buy your glasses online! Significantly cheaper, same quality and if you make an effort you can find anything you like for a fraction of the cost! Even get a few pairs for just around the house (so they don't have to be the nicest, best fitting) and save your good pair for the public.
    Don't let life get you down, it gets better! And being independent is so freeing.

Best tip I have for you -- if it is an option, get a part time job serving. I save anywhere from $500 to $3000 a month just from my part time serving job and if it gets too tiring I just give shifts away since it isn't my main income.
    ticul, wolfwoman, vesper and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hey, but at least the coupon helped somewhat!

Gosh, I wish I could get my glasses even that cheaply - they cost around $600+... drat having odd/special? eyes, lol! Yeah, and no designer frames...

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I second the Clearly Contacts idea. They often have free pair promos and you can upload your picture and try them on your face. A little time consuming but definitely worth the $ you save.
    vesper, oscarandme and veebee like this.

Curious what all the hype is about SWAGBUCKS? It's the b
    est online program ever! Send me a message if you have any questions or want to learn more.
    Join here:
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kylesmamma

Orillia Coupon Newbie
    Trading Score
    146 (100%)

Just a question you guys might be able to help me with:
    When you buy a pair of glasses online how do you get them fitted to your face like they do at the eyeglass store? Is there a place you can take them to that will adjust them to fit for free or cheap?
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Hey, but at least the coupon helped somewhat!

Gosh, I wish I could get my glasses even that cheaply - they cost around $600+... drat having odd/special? eyes, lol! Yeah, and no designer frames...
    Me too. I have a very expensive prescription. Ten years ago i was given a price of over $900 for a pair of progressives and reading glasses. That was with a second pair discount. I now buy them at ivision where they are 2 for 1 but 5 years ago that still cost almost $600
    Natalka and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bairdgoodwin View Post
    Just a question you guys might be able to help me with:
    When you buy a pair of glasses online how do you get them fitted to your face like they do at the eyeglass store? Is there a place you can take them to that will adjust them to fit for free or cheap?
    I ordered my last pair with Clearly Contacts and got glasses that had I gone to a "normal" optician would have cost me in excess of $700. (My eyes are SUPER bad.. -9.5 in one eye and -11.5 in the other). When the glasses came, I just brought them to the optician that would have charged me $700 and they fitted them for me. It cost me $15 but it was well worth it!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:37 PM.
    wolfwoman likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I purchase a pair of glasses online and they only cost $50.00. I could have purchased them in any doc office but my prescription is so mild that it would cost more to get them from a doc than online. I only need them if we are driving and I have to look for an address. Otherwise I don't need glasses. Get them online, best way to go.
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I don't get it though, I don't think thats expensive at all for getting your glasses in a shop, thats how much each pair of mine costs. I got a new pair + sunglasses last summer. My "old" pair were 7 years old and I should have replaced them sooner only because I was 16 when I first got them and my eyes hadn't finished "growing" yet.

I don't think thats much for glasses seeing as you use them everyday and they last so long.

I also think you are really lucky that your trip to the vet was only $150, our cats tend to be so much more expensive then that. When one owns a pet they need to realise before making the commitment that they will have costs like these come up at so little notice and therefore save ahead of them by making a special pet fund.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Me too. I have a very expensive prescription. Ten years ago i was given a price of over $900 for a pair of progressives and reading glasses. That was with a second pair discount. I now buy them at ivision where they are 2 for 1 but 5 years ago that still cost almost $600
    Gah, I hate to think what my next ones will cost, I def. need progressives so I know it will be even more... That reminds me to make an appointment to see the optometrist, I'm way long overdue... At least insurance covers part of that, but nothing for glasses.
    Last edited by Natalka; Tue, Jun 25th, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
    oscarandme likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:38 PM.
    vesper likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information