User Tag List

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree4745Likes

Thread: August Frugal chatter

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

ugh.. so how do you get dh on board with not spending money on more plants.. what a day.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Glad your drive went well, long drives can be fun.

Wow you are a busy girl.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Just checking in from Vancouver. We had a good drive out here and only spent $20 on takeout enroute which was pretty good for 4 people-we had lots of snacks in the car too. We are doing a house exchange in West Vancouver-very nice home with a view of the bay-went to sleep watching fireworks from my new bed and woke up to a cruise ship sailing in. Met some old friends downtown and took the little boat over to Granville Island. Spent about 58 today on lunch and ferry tokens and now DH has just taken DD and her friend down to the local bakery-kerching, kerching. Don't think this will be a frugal 3 weeks but given we don't have any accommodation expenses I guess we will usually have breakfast and dinner at home and often eat lunch out. Did I mention Vancouver is expensive-at least I picked up an Entertainment book so will have to start using that!! Still tired from the long drive but we will just take it easy this evening. Happy August everyone. Once we get back our goal is to paint the spare room as we are expecting a 10 year old Korean exchange student to come and live with us and go to school starting Aug 27 for the school year. Hope she is not too homesick!
    I don't know but if you find the secret please share, maybe it will work on my mom lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    ugh.. so how do you get dh on board with not spending money on more plants.. what a day.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    So beyond happy it is Friday (kinda), I so need this week to be over but at the same time some days it seems like coming to work is vacation compared to everything I need to get done at school.

This weekend's goals are to finish the basement stockpile, move some stuff around in the freezers all three need to be re organized and moved around, attempt to get control of the bathroom stockpile which currently lives in our hallway and than maybe just maybe if I still have any ambition attack our dinning room which is where everything from the kitchen gets thrown (literally thrown when someone gets mad), I swear it is the official dumping ground. Oh plus I have to go shoe, bedding and grocery shopping. I think I need to finally break down and pay a little more for shoes to get better support, I live in running shoes and thinking the cheap $20 Wal-Mart ones are not worth it anymore since I wear them everyday, it was different when I was wearing all different shoes and only wearing runners a couple days a week. Hoping to find a good deal on bedding, I just upgraded to a queen and cannot find black sheets anywhere at a decent price, I found one set and they were over $90 so not worth it for a fitted sheet and 2 pillow cases and a flat sheet that will never get used.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with Shampoo and Conditioner, none of it has been opened but apparently "we don't like that brand anymore" after I fully stocked up on it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    August goals for this family is to continue the painting and landscaping we have started. We redid our front perennial beds with 50% off hydrangea, hosta and lilies.It looks great but was a ton of work. I buy my granddaughters back to school clothes and supplies just because it makes me happy to do it.i buy clearance all year and pack the clothing and supplies away in totes. Had her over today to try all the clothes on and besides hemming a pair of jeggings she is set, with several outfits, shoes, fall and winter coats as well as boots. School Supplies are labeled and in her new back pack that she loves(picked it up for $5 in January). I am making her a poncho and she wants a long skirt, so went through my fabric and have fleece for the poncho and a beautiful turquoise floral fabric for the skirt.I know my daughter appreciates this and it really helps with her budget.

I like to can a few things in August and will be picking up beets for pickling.I plan to make bread and cookies on the cooler days for the freezer for lunches in September.I also will be maximize savings on fresh fruit and vegetables and freezing any great sales.I am also wanting to try making my own pesto, I cook a lot but have never tackled it before.I found a large basil plant at 75% off at Independant's garden center so hopefully it will be the plant that keeps on giving!!
    Thank you for this post! We use a lot of basil and have chive growing in the garden but really should add basil! I will be on the hunt this weekend for clearance basil!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    September will be a killer we have 5 birthdays within 2 weeks including both kids and DH as well as my parents anniversary. DH does not let me by back to school stuff and call it a birthday present as his mom did it to him and he still has not recovered. So I think I will be using the leftover from August to buy the gifts for September. Both boys have significant b days as one hits double digits (10) and the other is a teen (heaven help me).
    Yikes!! Your Sepsis like our June!! 5 birthdays!! And 5 in Feb/March... It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George is ticked that there's always some occasion to buy for hahaha. Good luck with everything and congrats to your boys!

On completely different note, I want to sit down later and share with everyone what has been going on with my son lately but I will have to do it at his nap time.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronwen View Post
    Yikes!! Your Sepsis like our June!! 5 birthdays!! And 5 in Feb/March... It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George is ticked that there's always some occasion to buy for hahaha. Good luck with everything and congrats to your boys!

On completely different note, I want to sit down later and share with everyone what has been going on with my son lately but I will have to do it at his nap time.
    ah nap time, how I miss those days, but now the older one will sleep til noon if I let him.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Oh my gosh. LO was up ALL night crying. It's so difficult when you have no idea what's wrong or what can make it better. She was fed, changed, burped, fall asleep in your arms, but as soon as you put her down.... endless screaming and crying. DH left for work with no sleep and then as soon as he left, she slept for hours. I thought, wow, Daddy is not going to be impressed. I think our daughter is nocturnal...

During the afternoon, DH wanted to blame her behaviour on the new cloth diapers. So far, we've used up a few cloth ones and saved a little space in the landfill. Grainger, did your DH cloth diaper both in the daytime and the evenings? My mom thinks if a liner is used, she'll be more comfortable and the moisture won't be held against her skin.

Week two of zero coupons and no pricematching. I'm very afraid.... My mom is currently reviewing the flyers and making her list, so she'll be at least shopping where there will be the most sales for her meal planning. Ow, the budget.... DH bought two loaves of bread for more than $5 last week, and we're now feeding three with a mat leave budget. Wish me luck!

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Oh my gosh. LO was up ALL night crying. It's so difficult when you have no idea what's wrong or what can make it better. She was fed, changed, burped, fall asleep in your arms, but as soon as you put her down.... endless screaming and crying. DH left for work with no sleep and then as soon as he left, she slept for hours. I thought, wow, Daddy is not going to be impressed. I think our daughter is nocturnal...

During the afternoon, DH wanted to blame her behaviour on the new cloth diapers. So far, we've used up a few cloth ones and saved a little space in the landfill. Grainger, did your DH cloth diaper both in the daytime and the evenings? My mom thinks if a liner is used, she'll be more comfortable and the moisture won't be held against her skin.

Week two of zero coupons and no pricematching. I'm very afraid.... My mom is currently reviewing the flyers and making her list, so she'll be at least shopping where there will be the most sales for her meal planning. Ow, the budget.... DH bought two loaves of bread for more than $5 last week, and we're now feeding three with a mat leave budget. Wish me luck!
    Awe (((((hugs))))) it *does* get better I promise. How old is she now? When they're super small it's usually within the first week or so, they "cluster feed" to help your milk come in. I remember a night where DD cried and screamed unless she was feeding. It was overwhelming to be honest. DD had to be swaddled tightly when she was put to sleep as well.

If your LO ends up with colic as my DS did, Zehrs has a probiotic drop it's about $40 but one drop a day and it helps with digestion and colic etc. You have to ask for it at the Pharmacy. Good luck dear.

Let us know if there's anything you can do. SIL's wee one was born on July 17 and she has been literally asking me everything so I am on the ball about my answers and my mom's a nurse so when I'm unsure I consult her. I hope she starts sleeping better for you.
    Join me, and other women like YOU! BELIEVE & TRANSFORM is a community of positive, uplifting women who support and encourage each other with ZERO judgement!

We are women supporting women; moms helping moms. We are YOU. Join us today

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, sweets, big hugs for you - I remember it all well, even though it was a while ago!

She may just need some time to get into a better rhythm... for both of you. I know I was worried because our son would only sleep about 20 minutes at a time, then be up for hours - all around the clock. I was frazzled, and worried, but he was happy - and the doc said it was just his way, like he didn't want to miss anything so he wanted to be awake as much as possible.

We also had to deal with colic - it was awful. Old fashioned gripe water worked the best - and all the endless hours of walking/swaying with him down the hallway, singing and singing....

We used cloth diapers, and used liners all the time!

Keep a list of your concerns so you can talk with the doc about them at the next checkup - is hers at one week?
    Do you get a public health nurse in?

Wishing you luck - and some rest, when you can get it!

Trading Score
    88 (100%)

sweets.. oh how i remember the days. my son would literally want to nurse like every hour.. i truly wish i had discovered the wraps use now a ways back then.. she may want to just be held close.. if not you could try putting her in a swing.. the movement alone may satisfy her.. my youngest lived in one for 6 months.
    oh so in addition to the plants he brings home bread.. at least it was 50% off.. but still.. I haven't even been in a store yet this month. lol.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    88 (100%)

almost forgot. my neighbor suggested having a garage sale next weekend. however as we got rid of all the stuff we didn't want, decided to do baked goodies instead and bottled water.. who doesn't like a treat while shopping. hope to make a few $'s.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hope everyone has a fantastic long weekend. We were planning to go up North to relax for a few days but company coming for 1 night Sunday put a wedge in that so sticking home is ok too. Will get out to the beach one day for relaxation And hope to get a few things done around the house. Tonight is date night and I'm really looking forward to dinner and wine in with my honey. Have a great one everyone!

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sitting here watching the traffic go by, wow the highway is already busy but actually it was quite busy last night when I was going home traffic was already backing up going north.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post

Just say No
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Oh poor you my girls were really good babies after 2 weeks they slept through the night.My oldest was a night owl and many nights i would hear her babbling in her crib but always went back to sleep eventually.It will get better

My niece had a baby June 4th he never sleeps and cry constantly she says she can't get anything done has to carryi him around in a sling to get things done
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread Information