User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: QOTD: Thurs 29 Aug: Carnivals, amusement parks, and attractions

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

We're all kids on the inside! And what better way to feel like one than to zoom along on the roller coaster, have some cotton candy, or maybe try and win one of those stuffed animals!
    Which Carnival, Amusement park or attraction was/is your favourite?
    ...any rides or activities in particular?

Thank you to everyone who I've had mini conversations
    over with over the past little while about feeling like a kid again,
    you've inspired this QOTD!

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by danger_dan; Fri, Aug 30th, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

When I was growing up, I absolutely loved going to our small city fair! It was such a huge deal to look forward to, with a great parade downtown always kicking things off!

I wasn't a big ride-goer, not at all - I don't like much motion, speed, or heights.
    Scrambler was my fave!

Added - the Merry Go Round - absolutely loved it when I was little, I wanted to go on it over and over!

I was always so jealous of my sister - and others - who could go on all sorts of amazing rides like the Zipper. I remember trying the ferris wheel (yelled a lot in fear), and the stupidest thing I ever tried was the Round Up - got all panicky and barfed so much when I got out...

Fave fair treat - candy apples, both as a kid, and now!

And the food.... our church always had a Ukrainian food booth, so that was always the first stop - for corn on the cob for a snackie, then the full meal deal of borscht, perogies, and cabbage rolls at the end of the day/evening.
    When I was older, I would work at the booth, and that was an absolute blast!

Never was big on the games, don't remember ever winning anything.

When we moved to the 'big city', we'd take our son to the Ex here, but gosh it was too big, too many people, crazy expensive, etc. It was better to take him when he was small to a local park here which had rides (mini Ferris wheel, carousel, train).
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Aug 29th, 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like wonderland the best.

I can still remember my dad telling me to straighten my shoulders and try to make myself a bit taller through stretching so that I could ride the stand up roller coaster with him. Man that was fun!!

I am not into county fairs and stuff that they travel with and put up within a matter of hours. Was at the Caledonia Fair when I was a teen ad whacked my head on the Zipper. Never do that again. Those things are too dangerous for my liking.

I also use to love the old wooden coaster at Crystal Beach and the massive water slide they had there too. But they are closed down now, so no fun
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Disney in Florida - good for "big kids" and small kids
    Busch Gardens in Florida

Sorry, don't like much here in Canada. And after the cronut burger/maple bacon "jam" food poisoning at the CNE, don't like that one much any more.
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/28/...ning-outbreak/

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Universal Studios in Florida -- HANDS DOWN.

I'm not big on roller coasters but I like a lot of the rides at Universal (not the coasters). They do have some jerky movements but for the most part its an experience -more being entertained by "the show" than the thrill of being whirled around. We haven't been for a few years now but my favourite was always ET. I enjoyed the King Kong, Jaws and Disaster ones also.

Plus they have the kids Dr. Seuss world.

And now Harry Potter! I'm seriously eager to go there and enjoy a nice Butterbeer!

My second choice would be Disney World of course -- Great for little kids and for "Big Kids" like myself. lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Astroworld in Houston, TX but it closed in 2005!

6 s of Texas is pretty neat to!

Calgary Stampede wasn't as good, but a great time and not as damn hot!
    Crochetlady and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think during my whole life, I've only been to 2 small fairs. 1st was in London when I was about 24.
    2nd was in 2011 for Canada Day and I didn't do any rides because I had DS with me. They were meh...nothing exciting.

I cannot wait to take DS to Disneyland. Probably in 2-3 years, when we can both have fun together!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I don't like rides...I almost cried on the tea cups in the kids land at Canada's Wonderland (this was 4 years ago! haha)

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I loved going to our small town fair every year. I do kinda miss it now that I've moved away. My fave ride was the drop zone.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I'm not a ride person but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching my kids graduate from kiddie rides to the big ones. I looked forward to the Brigden fair as a little girl with so much anticipation it was the highlight of the fall season for me. I've done both Disney Land and World a few times with my kids and was able to take my granddaughter last year, fantastic times all of them. But I still like the simplicity of a county fair best.
    The food is the best at country fairs though booths run by the church ladies with home made pie...elephant ears and the candy apples and cotton candy...pink please!!
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Thu, Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Jina-- you've been to our WF, how did you like it? when was that..??

growing up it was just me and my sister (im the youngest of 7), we were given the choice, we either go away or go to our local fair..let me tell ya it was a heck of alot more fun going as a kid than now..
    its way too $$ for all the same crap every year..
    we did take ours for a few years.. then its been hit or miss here and there.. we went last year. i finally said no more..
    as a kid we also went to Sandusky Ohio.. to the theme park there.. it was awesome..

we've never been to US or CW.. no intention to go either.

personally though for me.. im not into rides.. we did go on the ride that stretched from one end of our local fair to the other..
    i like the candy floss and the elephant ear.. even then $$ for sugar.. anyway my two cents.
    Crochetlady and danger_dan like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I hate rides!

This guy is me to a T.

(Skip to 2 mins if you want to save time! Or watch it all, RWJ is the best.)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Candini! LOL!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    Jina-- you've been to our WF, how did you like it? when was that..??
    uh what's WF?
    Btw, I meant London in United Kingdom, not London in Ontario

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I used to love rides, the hairier the better!

this summer i went to a craptastic little amusement setup in the local park. just one of those weekend-only setups.
    they had these big strawberries you sat inside of, with a wheel you could grab onto and turn to make the big strawberry rotate. it was a tame looking ride, perfect for the kiddos.

oh. my. lord.

i thought i was going to puke and die!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information