User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Are you really saving money?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have always wondered if people really "save" money or do they just think they do when using coupons.

First let me say I LOVE saving money and will do so any chance I get.

However when people brag (and I'm not pointing fingers or calling anyone out. to each their own) that they saved $150 last month and then proceed to show a brag with items in it that they do not normally buy for instance: There is a FPC in a magazine for SOS pads. Now you may use 1 package of SOS pads every 4 years but because there are FPC out there you gather up 50 of them and go and bring home 50 boxes and then claim to have saved $150.

Now to me that is not saving money. That is not money you would have spent if there were no FPC's out there so at the end of the month you are not up $150 from where you started because you did not budget those items therefore you did not save.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just over analyzing things?

I just don't consider it saving money when you had no intentions of using money you budgeted for to purchase it in the first place. Had you budgeted the money and came out ahead because of a coupon then yes you did save money. But I don't know anyone that budgets to buy 50 boxes of anything in a given month.

What do you think?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree.
    vesper likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

well, it depends, if it is items that is not perishable, eg. razors, sandwich bags, cling wraps.....those are ok to buy 50 or more, because you can keep those for a long while, which mean you are saving money in the long run. but for stuff that does go expires, eg. like food, toothpastes, shampoo.....if you know you won't be able to use or eat them all before they are gone, don't get so much just because they were free, because they will end up in the trash at the end. I personally hate wasting food.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

I agree

as an add to this, I no longer purchase anything with coupons unless i am already buying it, or I can get it for free to give to family members. But I always make sure that I can use the free items I get. Why would I waste precious space on stuff I know will rot?
    My Tradelist and Wishlist

Join the Purell Loyalty Program for easy rewards such as gift cards and coupons!

Get FREE Men's Boxers when 1O friends sign up
    http://www.comfortableboxers.com?kid=55D9S

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think a lot of people (myself included) go crazy with coupons/couponing when you first start.
    Then, you learn the ropes (or at least witness too many items expire before you can use them), and then smarten up and actually 'save' money.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

There is something i call balanced couponing. This last month i did my couponing challenge and i know if you look at things like 22 marcelle makeups that seems insane... but the reality is... i didn't come home until i stopped at my mom's and gave her 7 then i gave my daughter 7 or 8 and i got what was left. Then you divide it up into blush and glosses and it is a reasonable amount. I have after over 2 years of couponing a smaller stockpile then people who have been couponing for 6 months because i keep within the limits i set. My goal is to have close to a 1 year supply on hand so in the winter when prices are higher and i am in high pain I don't have to go out of my house and I don't have to spend money. At the end of my couponing challenge after a expensive month with 2 birthdays and eating out for both of them i still had $137 more at the end of the month. I did save money and i got more for my money and i kept a realistic stockpile. Once you set your personal goals then you know what your striving for and it makes it easier.

One more note... yes i think some people go a little crazy and i say this from a space and a budget standpoint. If your stockpile is intruding into other areas of your home it is interfering with your use of the space... the other thing is... even if it is free we still pay taxes... to go spend tax on 10K a year is a huge amount of money. Unless your donating and can use it for a write off it has a cost. To some the cost is worth it because they want a 3 year supply so they can take a break for 2 to 3 years... to me ... i love couponing and all of the people on here and i don't want to stop because i have over shopped. That is why the balance and goals are so important.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have to agree with cheekysaver.

Sometimes we spend more than we would at any other time to stock up - today we bought 3 palmolive at $1.97 - 3 $0.75 coupons. In general, that's more than we needed to spend since we already have 1 bottle on the go, and 1 in stock.
    But now we won't buy any dish soap until next year - so instead of paying more when we needed it, we paid less to have it in stock.

And it also depends on how you budget too. Some people budget to buy extras like clothes - I budget to take part in Shoppers bonus programs and coupon. So I always leave some extra each month in case there is something to stock up on.

I don't usually stock up on food though. You're never going to find 20 of some food product in my house, because we won't eat that fast enough. Generally we have a stock of 2 (a bit more for canned goods), if we have any stock at all.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I agree, CrazyQT. Many times it would much more accurate to say 'I used $500 in coupons today" rather than saying "I saved $500". Even if one is donating, most of us would not have pulled $500 out of pocket in order to donate purchase and donate a gazillion bottles of Dove. I have cut back since my newbie days and I try not to buy into the "whoever dies with the biggest stockpile wins" mentality. I do love to coupon and am able to help a low-income put food on the table because of it. I like to keep a year's supply of some items, while a few months of other items is just fine. Once one has been couponing for a year or two, it becomes pretty easy to determine what items can be obtained regularly without much OOP as opposed the 'once in a decade -- stock up now" deals. I have pretty much stopped buying things like 'smellies'. It doesn't matter how close to free I can get them, I am still paying the tax and I have too many sitting in the garage un-used.
    So many coupons....so little time!

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I've been bargain hunting for long enough that I know how much most of my usual stuff is. If I can buy the name brand cheaper, with a coupon I'll buy that. But if the no name brand is a better deal, than I'll buy that. If you look at all your options, you can save that $100 on your bill.

Mind you, there are some things I don't comprimise on KD being one of them

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I first started couponing I was excited with how much I thought I saved by buying things that were a great deal. But it's been about 2 years later and the items I bought with coupons because they were such a great deal are still sitting in my basement. Whoops! Oh well lesson learned. Only buy what you need and will use, although there are times where I wanna jump on the bandwagon and run to a store because of some sale.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with everyone!! When I first started using coupons I went crazy!! Bought things I didn't need because it was cheap or free. I have a huge stockpile on shampoos, hairspray, hair shine etc (thanks SDM, your $1.00 clearance sections always sucks me in). I do give a lot away to family, food bank and make gift baskets for birthdays etc.. Every few months I try not to by anything and I clean out my pantry and freezer to make sure nothing gets wasted..I hate looking at the bottom of my freezer and finding something that has freezer burn, what a waste!! I have cut back a lot on buying things just because they are a good deal. Sometimes when I'm about to buy something I don't need, I stop, and when I get home I put the money I was going to spend in a jar, now that's real savings!! Also to everyone who has a stockpile and things are about to expire don't throw it out donate it to the food bank!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yes I agree I never say I saved "100." I would rather say I saved 34.00 in coupons like I did on sat at shoppers and it was all stuff I use too -yes don't beat yourself up if you stockpile too much we all learn-people I have been couponing for 20 some odd years and only built my stockpile up the last few years( couldn't build a stockpile up when you only had .15 and .25 cent cpns on items)besides everything was so cheaper 20 years ago-but the past few years I have only had 4 of us -then down to 3 when my daughter moved out -now I only have 2 of us -so I have slowed down on body wash ,toothpaste-only have 5 toothpaste -don't need a huge stockpile when there is only 2 people-but as for cereal I always have 10 or 11 cause we go thru it a lot hubby and I -but I still love trading even thou I have a smaller number of people -as I never want to pay full price for items I can get cheap with coupons-and thanks to everyone who has been sending me extras that are about to expire soon in my one on one trades -because we have less income -I have been finding them very usefull and using them up a few days before they expire -thanks again- I also donated gift bags to a womans shelter last year and spent 40.00 out of pocket -and I give to my daughter /hubby out of town too when they come love to share with family
    Last edited by coupon girl; Sun, Sep 1st, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have enough toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo to last us til we are dead - lol - But we also have 2 daughters who we spoil and will continue to do so when they have kids!!!! It is my hobby and passion!!!! I keep saying I am going to start doing this and finally can do so Starting today - I will transfer 1/2 of the value of any cpns to a saving acct after each shopping trip - it is there for emergency or a special purpose!!

I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WillieP View Post
    I have enough toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo to last us til we are dead - lol - But we also have 2 daughters who we spoil and will continue to do so when they have kids!!!! It is my hobby and passion!!!! I keep saying I am going to start doing this and finally can do so Starting today - I will transfer 1/2 of the value of any cpns to a saving acct after each shopping trip - it is there for emergency or a special purpose!!
    This is what I would love to do! Keep up the great work.
    oscarandme and momi like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I don't coupon near as much as I used to because most of the items you get with coupons we don't use.

I tend to view 'savings' for things like optimum points. I buy on sale (bonus days) and then redeem on the bonus/mega - I'm buying what I need/use for decent prices in the first place so I view my redemption (generally on items we also need/use) as savings. Also things like movie tickets from lean cuisine - I eat them for lunch for work - I buy them on sale so I really view the tickets as freebies because I would've bought the dinners regardless.

I don't view buying something for $4 instead of $6 as a $2 savings because generally there are certain items I would never buy if I had to pay full price anyways. If it's an item we use that rarely goes on sale (and is perishable so can't stock up too much) I view it as a bonus that we got it for less but never really bother to calculate it as a savings.
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information