User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Are you really saving money?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OgresWife View Post
    I've been bargain hunting for long enough that I know how much most of my usual stuff is. If I can buy the name brand cheaper, with a coupon I'll buy that. But if the no name brand is a better deal, than I'll buy that. If you look at all your options, you can save that $100 on your bill.

Mind you, there are some things I don't comprimise on KD being one of them
    I actually Love NN KD... XD
    Angela273 and oscarandme like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

good question CrazyQT. Many times a coupon is viewed as a challenge to many of us, we read it, dream of matching it with a sale, maybe getting overage ( our knees weaken), and we all have probably got sucked into the vortex that is " savings versus spending". A logical person eventually looks at his/her bottom line and pulls the reins back when they see the reality of what is happening to them. Someone living on a very tight budget, with no savings should not indulge in stockpiling I think.
    It also depends at what " phase " of life you are in, I mean a young family with many little ones will use up the stuff they buy faster than they can restock, and if they have the disposable income to create a stockpile, great!
    Compared that to a retiree who in reality may not use up the items before they expire ( yes I do mean they may pass on ), common sense prevails.
    One area of concern lately is the amount of weather disasters and things happening in the big cities with flooding, and black outs that we hardly saw happen before, well that freezer full of savings is wasted if it thaws along with the other items soaked from sewage.
    With the non stacking thing in Ontario, I never got as caught up in things like the lucky sc's out West. I would drool at what they got for next to nothing, but alas, much of that has now been squashed with new wording on coupons.
    I even notice the values on the coupons seem lower, .50 off and such, not very tempting when taxes are attached to that product and stores scrutinizing and restricting like crazy, so eventually I think many may have that " aha " moment where using coupons to clear shelves is counterproductive.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    62 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by acosta View Post
    I think a lot of people (myself included) go crazy with coupons/couponing when you first start.
    Then, you learn the ropes (or at least witness too many items expire before you can use them), and then smarten up and actually 'save' money.
    i agree...I think we all find a nice balance after first going a little overboard

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, what a great topic! Makes you stop and think.

Question: Are you really saving money?

Answer#1: Yes. When Loblaws had eggs on for 3/$5 and there was a coupon for $1 off when you buy 2 dozen eggs. Loved that time.

Answer#2: No. When the P&G Brandsaver has absolutely no coupons for food and no coupons for anything we need - only for things like toothpaste, deodorant, smellies. We have so many toothpastes, deodorants and smellies already.

Wish they would bring back the great food coupons like for

• bananas
    • strawberries
    • $1 worth of free apples
    • lettuce
    • milk
    • free oatmeal
    • Uncle Ben's rice
    • POM almonds and pistachios
    • Maple Leaf Prime chicken
    • free yogurt
    • free bread

Those were the days
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Sep 1st, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

I agree that the more time you have couponed, the less of a crazy stockpile you have.

I will be the first to admit to having 50-100 (not sure exactly, but a LOT) of toothbrushes, toothpaste, but these things were purchased for free, and will definitely get used by myself, DH, DD, DD2, and so on... Same with free body wash that I was able to earn a gazillion Optimum points for (double cool!).

The one thing that I was a little stupid with was mustard. Someone in my family has to start eating a lot more mustard... lol

But I am lucky enough to have a ton of room in my house, a stockpile room and a cold room. (a year ago in the old house, my closets were a little stupid... Try showing your house for sale and trying to NOT let them open the closet doors for fear that a package of toilet paper will come tumbling down!)

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Great topic of conversation btw... Love these answers!!
    lecale, MillieH, vesper and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I personally don't think it is "saving" money if you weren't going to buy the stuff anyway (your SOS pads is a good example). To me I log that in a column called "free stuff." Just because I got a freebie doesn't mean I saved money because I wasn't going to spend any in the first place.

I will say I "saved" X amount of money if I need bread and buy it worth a coupon. Or if I buy a year's worth of soap because I will have bought it at the cheapest price possible and not buy it emergency full price for the rest of the year. Bonus is the time I saved not having to worry about looking for a soap sale again for an entire year. That's worth the upfront stockpile cost to me and it breaks down the "savings" through the whole year rather than 1 purchase.

I did go crazy when I first started, but we just don't have the space and I don't want to buy so much of a product that I get sick of it.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Sep 1st, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
    coupon girl, vesper and web3 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I understand your question and I know I am still at the blissful stage and enjoying having a few items ahead and trying new products that maybe without coupons I wouldn't have and with the tips and tricks get for items for a fraction with points turning into money, rebates making them nearly free and not paying for full price when we just ran out and no sale available when I need that product because before I knew nothing about PM, looking at flyers and getting familiar with pricing.. I think like everyone replying to your great question, it is fabulous to finally take control of something that we never had control of and enjoy the savings and convenience and I know in my case, DH is an accountant and he claims it is worth it. Toilet Paper full price, we can get 5 times that amont for that full price item out of last minute need. We all have to pay taxes, and I share with some neighbours that need help, I give to friends and they help fix our vehicles and they get some stuff as payment and they love it. Also we have a cottage and before we had to go shopping for a bunch of extra things for going to the lake, DH says I love this..just go to the Basement Kitchen side and everything is organized and he just fills up the reusable bags and just shops for staples for that time we are up. (Lots of savings there).

I think it depends on your own situation, where you are in couponing and space is big factor of course and if trying to make a difference and helping others/friends/family/charities is a goal and of course saving money.

I see things changing at one point, I guess it is an evolving process but I believe in our case. We do save and I have never felt so secure in our needs being met to be honest.

Hope that makes sense.

I do love my stockpile, mine,mine,mine..
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sun, Sep 1st, 2013 at 05:28 PM.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

There really aren't enough of a variety of coupons for the stuff our family eats or uses. I try to look at is as a good thing because the less time I spend in stores looking for deals to match with coupons, the less money I spend .
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I am going to be yelled at for this, but I don't understand why people are so proud of getting cookies and other junk food for cheap. Like you said, would you normally buy 10 boxes of cookies in one shopping trip? I hardly use coupons because we literally only buy fresh fruit, vegetables, bagged milk and soy milk. We don't buy anything that we could use coupons on aside from paper products and cleaning supplies. The toiletry brands I like and use don't have coupons for them. I just find that when people are "saving" money, they are often buying unhealthy things that you could do without. Just my 2 cents.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I understand what you mean but those are your needs not anyone elses. Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean it is stupid. Just different needs for different families. A friend of ours that has 2 girls going to college, when they have friends over they raid their cupboards, refrigerator, freezer every time and that is several times a week. They would never say no to having some friends over and they are home and having fun, why not, those are their needs. So 10 boxes of cookies or 20 bags of Tostitos..but that is their sitatuation...

I always tell DH just because you do not understand something that does not make it wrong or stupid. Two sides to a coin, open your mind and realize there are probably good reasons for it. He always tells me -you're right, it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    I am going to be yelled at for this, but I don't understand why people are so proud of getting cookies and other junk food for cheap. Like you said, would you normally buy 10 boxes of cookies in one shopping trip? I hardly use coupons because we literally only buy fresh fruit, vegetables, bagged milk and soy milk. We don't buy anything that we could use coupons on aside from paper products and cleaning supplies. The toiletry brands I like and use don't have coupons for them. I just find that when people are "saving" money, they are often buying unhealthy things that you could do without. Just my 2 cents.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I personally don't think it is "saving" money if you weren't going to buy the stuff anyway (your SOS pads is a good example). To me I log that in a column called "free stuff." Just because I got a freebie doesn't mean I saved money because I wasn't going to spend any in the first place.
    This is exactly the points I was trying to convey. If you never use the products in the first place and only stocked up with 50 of them because there was a FPC for them, to me, IMO, that is not saving X amount of dollars because it's not something you would have paid money for in the first place.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I am going to be yelled at for this, but I don't understand why people are so proud of getting cookies and other junk food for cheap. Like you said, would you normally buy 10 boxes of cookies in one shopping trip?
    lol see that's one thing I would buy 10 of ....I have 4 kids and it's nice to have treats sometimes (and dh prefers storebought cookies - weird I know) but again picky on brands so often there are no coupons for them so I do stock up and buy 10+ when they are on sale.
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

No need for yelling.

Everyone buys what they want for their families, who have different tastes and situations. Those people who buy 10 boxes of cookies may have 6 kids or share them with their mom, sister or friend. Or they could donate them or just eat them over a long period of time.

For example, I often buy extra stuff for my parents and one of my friends who only recently got a full time job after many years of under employment. I know they'll refuse money, but they don't refuse my merchandise when I "bought so much I can't use it"

Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 08:03 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information