User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts?

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lets say that you managed to save enough to pay off your mortgage. Would you pay it off, or would you invest the money? I'm just curious as I was debating this at work and people have all sorts of opinions.
    Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would( and did) pay off my mortgage and then I started investing the monthly mortgage payment I no longer needed to top up my RRSP's, RESP's and TFSA's. You can see if any of these would be of benefit to you depending on your personal finances and family situation and you can invest them in guaranteed investments like GIC'S or mutual funds etc depending on your risk tolerance and investment goals. I like owning my own home mortgage free, and also when I payed it off interest rates were somewhat higher -my first goal was to get out of debt but that is just my opinion!
    harbie, emg and i_forget like this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My opinion - pay off the mortgage.

I am somewhat risk averse - I prefer a guaranteed savings versus a potential investment income any day.
    emg and Frugalbigmama like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

We were lucky enough that between the sale price of our last house and the shares and other investments we had ..we were able to buy our new house outright.

As lizzie says, that money we save monthly is availible for other purposes now.The only downside I can see is if there would be a penalty for cashing in the mortage before the end of the term.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It all depends on your risk tolerance. Don't invest what you can't afford to lose. In my business, I see investors make ridiculous amounts of money. . .but just about everyone suffers a bad debt/investment once in awhile. A good accountant helps you write that off.

ANother option is to start off small and work your way up into investment strategies. Always try to diversify if you do invest.
    emg likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

We have left ours in investments. Here is why:

1) DH is a self employed contractor. We can write off some of our mortgage interest, and most of the home expenses (20%) for his taxes.
    2) The cost of closing out the mortgage added to the cost analysis of which was better for us.
    3) We are getting a better return on our investments than the interest of our actual mortgage.
    4) Our mortgage is crazy flexible, so it is hard to give it up!
    5) We underbought as home. That is, the we bought a cheaper house than we could actually afford (thanks to DH being a contractor) so we fix it up as we go. Mortgage payments are not a stretch for us at all. (But I only have drywall finished in one room of this home!LOL!)

So, we have left everything as is until we renew our mortgage next year and see what kind of interest rate we get. Then, we will decide if we are still better off.
    Last edited by matty's mom; Sat, Sep 7th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
    super_e, emg, Carlotta and 1 others like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post

1) DH is a self employed contractor. We can write off some of our mortgage interest, and most of the home expenses (20%) for his taxes.
    2) The cost of closing out the mortgage added to the cost analysis of which was better for us.
    3) We are getting a better return on our investments than the interest of our actual mortgage.
    5) We underbought as home. That is, the we bought a cheaper house than we could actually afford (thanks to DH being a contractor) so we fix it up as we go. Mortgage payments are not a stretch for us at all. (But I only have drywall finished in one room of this home!LOL!)

So, we have left everything as is until we renew our mortgage next year and see what kind of interest rate we get. Then, we will decide if we are still better off.
    We underbought as home. That is, the we bought a cheaper house than we could actually afford

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! LOVE to hear that. WIsh so many more people would do that.
    super_e and gourmetsue like this.

Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post

This is excellent advice...being in the 'accounting' field, paying off your mortgage, instead of investing, would only make sense if the interest on the mortgage is more than the investment interest gain. Invest the $$, and when funds permit, make the occasional 'extra' payment on the mortgage. Also, instead of paying your mortgage monthly, have it set up to pay bi-weekly or weekly (not a huge difference as far as interest for bi-wkly or wkly)....you end up paying a couple extra weeks per year, along with saving thousands of $$ on interest, and shortening the mortgage term.
    MortgageQueen and emg like this.

People say cats are sneaky. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Everybody probably has a unique situation for this. I would pay off the mortgage most likely though! Then you can invest what you would normally be paying on the mortgage.

But everybodys situation is probably unique depending what your interest rate you are paying on your mortgage, you just have to do all the math!

Like if you have a big mortgage because you bought a big house...or how much you have left of your mortgage to pay off,interest rates on it,what your risk is of your investment (GIC,TFSA would probably earn peanuts VS. a successful stock investment) etc.

I think in most cases paying off your mortgage would be smarter though for a typical average income earner like myself who is rather afraid to invest my money and lose it,JMO.
    emg likes this.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I'd pay off the mortgage, on the assumption that I would be disciplined enough to put away the same amount of money every week into savings. I personally, would just feel more secure owning my home outright in the event of an illness or job loss, or even a blessing such as being able to stay at home with the future children.
    emg and Frugalbigmama like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    We underbought as home. That is, the we bought a cheaper house than we could actually afford

So.... with the housing prices in the West that means a "deluxe" tent from CT lol

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post

If we bought the house that our bank told us we could afford, we'd be struggling. We didn't need a $300K house ten years ago (we don't now either), and it will be great to have it paid off just as DS is headed for university!
    harbie, emg and thriftygranny like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by emg View Post
    Lets say that you managed to save enough to pay off your mortgage. Would you pay it off, or would you invest the money? I'm just curious as I was debating this at work and people have all sorts of opinions.
    Thanks
    There is no guarantee with investment's ..unless ofcourse they are GIC's ..which pay next to nothing.

I would pay off the mortgage first ..as I consider it to be a debt ..always pay off the debt first & then worry about investment's
    emg, i_forget and Frugalbigmama like this.

emg
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Great ideas guys.
    Thinking of opening an ING account use this number 35728975S1 and both of us get a $50!! dollar bonus.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    So.... with the housing prices in the West that means a "deluxe" tent from CT lol
    But a relatively "stress-free" tent. I'm all for having your own home, but not if your whole life is spent paying for it. . . or what ever
    time we have left.
    I love the idea of simplifying. The wisest people I know have vigorously recommended it as a pre-curser to a happy life. The more you own. . .the more you worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information