User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: UPDATE: I was wrong: *RANT* Edmontonians HATE people from Ontario

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Delete
    Last edited by Brooke_; Sat, Sep 14th, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krrosell View Post
    Thanks guys, having a tough day at work today... those comments made my day I still laugh though when Ontarians say they are going to the beach.... hehhe... my beach has salt water and a tide that goes in and out!
    My coworker from South Africa didn't realize we had beaches in Ontario, she thought it was just an ocean thing...
    pippinelkhound and MillieH like this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

"Our 3 yr plan is to move to the country or a small town where my husband can commute to work. We prefer seeing tractors drive down the main straight rather then seeing 100+ cars in 10 minutes - but this just us. We are not city folks but must stay in the city for now. Its unfortunate, but what can be done but smile and nod and get prepared for the third year when things fall into place."

Oh Naina0585, You are home sick. Simple as that.

When I moved from the Ft Sask area (east of Edmonton) to another town 40 min west of Edmonton I was not very happy as well. And everyone was a jerk in the new town. But I was young, like you, but I did adjust, just give it some time.

Your comment "We prefer seeing tractors drive down the main straight rather then seeing 100+ cars in 10 minutes" made me laugh. You would have to move way out of Edmonton to see that in a town. I think you ment to see tractors driving down the road and that is a pain in the ass to me, grew-up with that issue.

I think you should ask in the Edmonton fourm "What is a good small town to move to in the Edmonton area?" I am sure it would be helpful to you.

I have lived in the Edmonton area since I was born and the Alberta job market is red hot, hot, hot. All of the new peeps in my area are from out of Alberta/Canada. Funny it is hard to meet peeps from Alberta.

Cheers and Good luck.
    Last edited by Travelnut; Mon, Sep 16th, 2013 at 01:04 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I was born and raised in Edmonton and I can say with confidence that people here are just as kind as anywhere else in Canada. I have met some folks who have a derogatory view on people moving here from the east but all in all I think everyone is quite open minded to it. My boyfriend and his brothers who live here are all from Hamilton and they know many more people here from Ontario that Alberta (even people they met out here who they didn't know back home). I always joke that its hard to meet someone who is a born Albertan anymore! From speaking with a few friends I think its more about the jobs that people may have a bad outlook on than anything. There are so many jobs here with the oil fields and what not that it is very inviting for people who live in provinces that aren't as lucky. I personally don't have a problem with this, I think it makes for a bigger and more "happening" city but I also get other peoples point of view. I have met people from Ontario who have absolutely nothing nice to say about Alberta or Edmonton and I can say that definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. So as for Edmontonians being rude, I think it may be a bit of everyone! I think we need to be more open to the idea of people moving here from other provinces and I think that the people moving here should be happy and recognize how lucky they are to be able to be somewhere with so much opportunity! After all we are all CANADIAN!!.....and thank goodness for that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They (some) hate Ontarians and people from Toronto , because generally we don't vote for their pet boy Stephen Harper and the consevatives .

Funny thing is Harper is from Ontario ( born here ) , but acts as an Albertan for all practical purposes.

But prejudices and stereotypes exist everywhere , so can't really complain..people deny it , but they do exist ..but most people are nice everwhere ..only few bad apples
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Sep 16th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    pippinelkhound and nainai0585 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBC View Post
    Really?! I don't know about Ontario.. but here, posted speeds are LIMITS, not MINIMUMS. Going 10 below the speed limit is perfectly acceptable.
    I was failed in my driving test for going around 10 km below the speed limit ..so don't talk nonsense and embarass yourself.

This was the exact reason written on my Test for failing it and was verbally told the same..I guess I should have used your logic and told my examiner the same , I am sure I would have passed ..lol

Its only acceptable if the conditions are bad like rain , snow etc.

You might as well go 25 below the speed limit, that's perfectly acceptable too..lol..they are just LIMITS right ?? ..not minimums

Slow driver's impede the flow of traffic and slow pokes cause just as many accidents as fast aggressive drivers.

Next time I am planning to merge on the highway at 90 km , while the rest of the cars are following the speed limit and doing 100 km , should be fun ..its totally acceptable
    Tbites and nainai0585 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nainai0585 View Post
    When I was taking the drivers education course in Windsor, it was constantly drilled into me by the instructor to always go the posted speed limit, anything below is now impeeding traffic and you will be ticket for it as it is against the law (unless weather conditions prove otherwise). I thought this was the same law throughout Canada? Try having your same train of thought on the 401 - if your driving 80-90 kmh on the 401, you will either a) piss off 99.9% of the other drivers, b) cause a line-up behind you with A LOT of angry people, especially the portions that still only have 2 lanes and the transports suddenly feel like passing each other for 20-45 minutes, c)you could potentially cause a small/large scale accident because everyone else on the road is assuming you are driving the MINIMUM of the posted speed limit. Maybe things are just different in Alberta when it comes to driving....at least I can say there is A LOT more to see then in SW Ontario, you look sideways from Windsor and you can see London (my clients Scout leaders use to say this all the time, I thought it was funny).
    Yup ..you are absolutely right.

You only drive below the speed limit when the conditions are bad like rain , snow , slick roads etc ..not on a bright sunny day.

Slow pokes cause just as many accident's as fast aggressive driver's.

That guy from BC is clueless .

From the Highway Traffic Act

Unnecessary slow driving prohibited

132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 132 (1).

Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Sep 16th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Tbites and nainai0585 like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Travelnut View Post
    "Our 3 yr plan is to move to the country or a small town where my husband can commute to work. We prefer seeing tractors drive down the main straight rather then seeing 100+ cars in 10 minutes - but this just us. We are not city folks but must stay in the city for now. Its unfortunate, but what can be done but smile and nod and get prepared for the third year when things fall into place."

Oh Naina0585, You are home sick. Simple as that.

When I moved from the Ft Sask area (east of Edmonton) to another town 40 min west of Edmonton I was not very happy as well. And everyone was a jerk in the new town. But I was young, like you, but I did adjust, just give it some time.

Your comment "We prefer seeing tractors drive down the main straight rather then seeing 100+ cars in 10 minutes" made me laugh. You would have to move way out of Edmonton to see that in a town. I think you ment to see tractors driving down the road and that is a pain in the ass to me, grew-up with that issue.

I think you should ask in the Edmonton fourm "What is a good small town to move to in the Edmonton area?" I am sure it would be helpful to you.

I have lived in the Edmonton area since I was born and the Alberta job market is red hot, hot, hot. All of the new peeps in my area are from out of Alberta/Canada. Funny it is hard to meet peeps from Alberta.

Cheers and Good luck.
    Your probably right about the home sickness. I LOVED seeing the tractors pulling the bins of tomatoes, onions, and corn down the "busiest" street in town. The jobs in what drew us here (my husband landed his job within 45 minutes of applying online and a phone interview), whereas he'd been out of work for over a year, which isn't good when one parent is a SAHM. We're not positive we'll be staying in Alberta, we may go to B.C, but we're not positive yet, it all depends on how the next 3 yrs looks. Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it

Quote Originally Posted by amcintyre780 View Post
    I was born and raised in Edmonton and I can say with confidence that people here are just as kind as anywhere else in Canada. I have met some folks who have a derogatory view on people moving here from the east but all in all I think everyone is quite open minded to it. My boyfriend and his brothers who live here are all from Hamilton and they know many more people here from Ontario that Alberta (even people they met out here who they didn't know back home). I always joke that its hard to meet someone who is a born Albertan anymore! From speaking with a few friends I think its more about the jobs that people may have a bad outlook on than anything. There are so many jobs here with the oil fields and what not that it is very inviting for people who live in provinces that aren't as lucky. I personally don't have a problem with this, I think it makes for a bigger and more "happening" city but I also get other peoples point of view. I have met people from Ontario who have absolutely nothing nice to say about Alberta or Edmonton and I can say that definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. So as for Edmontonians being rude, I think it may be a bit of everyone! I think we need to be more open to the idea of people moving here from other provinces and I think that the people moving here should be happy and recognize how lucky they are to be able to be somewhere with so much opportunity! After all we are all CANADIAN!!.....and thank goodness for that!
    I probably haven't been the nicest either, but I do try to walk down the street with a smile and stop and talk to those who have stopped to talk to me. I like to believe we all bleed maple leaves lol

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I was failed in my driving test for going around 10 km below the speed limit ..so don't talk nonsense and embarass yourself.

This was the exact reason written on my Test for failing it and was verbally told the same..I guess I should have used your logic and told my examiner the same , I am sure I would have passed ..lol

Its only acceptable if the conditions are bad like rain , snow etc.

You might as well go 25 below the speed limit, that's perfectly acceptable too..lol..they are just LIMITS right ?? ..not minimums

Slow driver's impede the flow of traffic and slow pokes cause just as many accidents as fast aggressive drivers.

Next time I am planning to merge on the highway at 90 km , while the rest of the cars are following the speed limit and doing 100 km , should be fun ..its totally acceptable
    Yup ..you are absolutely right.

You only drive below the speed limit when the conditions are bad like rain , snow , slick roads etc ..not on a bright sunny day.

Slow pokes cause just as many accident's as fast aggressive driver's.

That guy from BC is clueless .

From the Highway Traffic Act

Unnecessary slow driving prohibited

132. (1) No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 132 (1).
    Out of all the comments, I've been thinking about the posters who told me it was acceptable to drive 10 km under....I just can't wrap my head around it.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Nainia0585,

I hope you are feeling better you sound much better.
    PM me if you would like to know more about the other cities/towns around Edmonton. I think you would REALLY likE Stony Plain.

For the other folks in Canada that may be out of work Alberta is the place to be if you want to work ($trades$$$) (Power Engineers OMG super hot) and the cost of living/housing is low as well. We have a saying in AB "if you can not find a job in Alberta you must be dead".
    Last edited by Travelnut; Tue, Sep 17th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm a transplant from BC. If you don't like Edmonton, you'd hate Calgary. Don't even think about moving to BC. Way to expensive and the people there are very different. (Now why won't this forum let me space for paragraphs?? It's the only place on the internet that I have this problem!) At first I thought you might be military but honest, your statement about your husband not liking a two month separation made me laugh. Edmonton is a garrison town with many, many families being separated for at least six months of the years. We don't do clingy. Factor in the rig workers who work away in Fort Mac, and you won't get much sympathy over a two month separation. Get involved in your community, volunteer, don't stay in your house feeling sorry for yourself.
    mrs.march6 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They (some) hate Ontarians and people from Toronto , because generally we don't vote for their pet boy Stephen Harper and the consevatives ......
    Correction, most of rural Ontario feels that way about Toronto too(except "hate" is a little strong). Whether true or not Toronto has the reputation of having the Liberal logo tattooed on their .....
    Earn Gift Cards With Me Click the link below
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/erin9mmm

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My son made it out there earlier this week. He's LOVING it so far. Says the people are fantastic. He's not had to cook a meal yet. His roommate has been introducing him to all of his friends and they have graciously invited him for meals. Lucky kid!

I'm missing him a lot. Guess it's time to look for flights.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krrosell View Post
    It is hard moving provinces and people not understanding anything about where you come from. I sympathize with you as I can understand.
    Not all Ontarians are like that. We are nice in The Shwa. Come visit here -- I think you will like Oshawa.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by erin9mmm View Post
    Correction, most of rural Ontario feels that way about Toronto too(except "hate" is a little strong). Whether true or not Toronto has the reputation of having the Liberal logo tattooed on their .....
    I don't know about that. I work in rural areas, with a lot of people that are formerly from Toronto. These new residents fit in well with other rural residents and they get along well
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Its all about the mindset. Go with an open mind and make lots of new friends. Go with a closed mine and make lots of new enemies. The choice is yours

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information