User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: coupon burnout?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Personally I don't really use coupons anymore with the exception of TP and spend so much to get xx at Sobeys or somewhere.

I really just like coming on to SC to see the great deals and put in my 2 cents on deals or ideas. I find this is a caring community where it doesn't matter if you are using coupons or just coming in to chat.

I've found since I've changed my diet due to allergies and intolerance for food and personal products that I can't purchase the majority of products at regular retail stores and have to get it from health food stores or well.ca which has made couponing extremely difficult if not impossible. Mostly I rely on in-store or online specials to get the products I need and can use.
    You know you love me xoxo Gossip Girl

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I avoid coupon burnout by remembering that I don't need to get in on every deal, it's okay if coupons in my personal use stash expire before I use them and that coupons help me to save when it works for me. As long as my family's needs are being met, that is what is important. I control the coupons. The coupons do not control me.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been couponing for about two years and only recently joined SC, but I got burned out pretty quickly because I went overboard. I wanted every deal and every coupon out there. I took a break once I moved and started back up so that I could save myself some money now that I was on my own. Now, to avoid burnout I only order and look for coupons that I will actually use. I can manage my coupons now and they usually don't consume a lot of time because I clip coupons when I watch TV. I usually price match at Walmart or Freshco and occasionally at lunch I head to different stores but if it's not there, I don't get worked up about it. Can't always get freebies or stuff really cheap.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

thanks everyone for the great responses.
    my stockpile is pretty decent right now, so i havent been using my coupons all that much, and i've been really really really behind on updating my tradelist.
    i love trading, but the monotony of that damn tradelist.... and it just keeps piling up and piling up and piling up...

and much like other posters on this thread, the deal chasing caught up to me too.

i've crafted myself a cute box for my couponing gear and got some new accessories (like scissors and pens) which may spice things up again and keep me keepin on.
    i'll try to post pics as soon as i can

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

What a great thread! I to have been seriously contemplating putting coupons on the back burner for pretty much all of this year...it still hasn't happened yet. Though I have slowed down, I'm still at it and SmartCanucks is my favorite site to go and have a read. We are a super family
    Because of couponing I have been able to help out some families in need and that feels really good. Recently I delivered $400 to $500 of goods to a family (cat food, razors, tp, spagetti, coffee, filters, soup...)that were pretty much paid for with coupons and SDM points . They were amazed what I could do. But it costs alot in my time and energy and both are at a premium these days. I to plan to slow down and only pick up/order coupons that I really use. The in-box for coupons to sort and put away can really be daunting sometimes. It's nice to see that I wasn't the only one feeling like this. It's been quite the run the last couple of years-love it! But perhaps it's time to make the time for another hobby...

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I have been couponing for 41 yrs,but lately there are times when i have felt like tossing the whole coupon thing.I have a lot going on at home so it might be the depression setting in,don't get me wrong i love couponing it my passion.I'll have to see what the New Year brings and go from there
    Last edited by YOU AND ME; Mon, Oct 21st, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Once my stockpile got to where I wanted it, I now only order coupons for stuff that I will use or that my extended family will use. You don't need to get every del every week.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mcminsen, I am sorry to hear that you will no longer be doing the tearpad one, however think after only doing this about two months I can understand why. I am so far behind sorting the few coupons I do have, it takes me hours to get organized to shop, so I cannot imagine doing a thread on top of that! I did enjoy seeing what spots in the store I should keep an eye on, and found tuna coupons this week!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I hear ya on the burnout. I've definitely slowed down esp since my car is out of commission & don't have much room for items until basement Reno is competed in Nov.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think in life we all have to do what is best for ourselves and prioritize. I have a bit of a survivor's guide for myself: get rid of coupons I won't be using asap and the easiest way possible (friends, family or recycling), go to threads or websites where I can most efficiently get the scoop on the info I'm looking for, as soon as flyers come into the house I recycle the ones I don't need, shop once a week and only in one end of town (price match so I don't miss on some deals), saving on what I need is more important than getting a great deal for something I don't need... I do not fret over not getting the best deal, obtaining a coupon or a freebie. Any act of saving is great, missing out on something isn't a failure because it's more important to succeed in the priorities in my life. If saving every penny and hitting every great deal was my main priority in life, maybe it would be different but for me there are a lot of things I have to juggle and couponing is one of those balls I choose to add here and there but it's not the main one I'm trying to keep up in the air. Sometimes too saving money isn't necessarily about all the coupons I can use when I can save money in other ways. 4L of vinegar and water does a whole lot more cleaning than any deal I can regularly get on a cleaning any product out there.
    Last edited by sunny3; Tue, Oct 22nd, 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

i don't necessarily feel burnout. more like exhaustion, between university and the kids i just dont have as much time as i used to. couponing gets done sort of, but my lack of time restricts me from going out and getting the coupons or from trading coupons because it takes forever to make up lists and stuff. i dont even have a stockpile anymore. although i wish i did. I think that perhaps when i get my next osap payment i might build up a bit of one (three months of basics) and then cut right back.

i think it would be helpful to have a deep freezer in my basement too, but i just dont have the money for one right now. budget is tight, and with the plans i have for xmas approaching, even tighter. lol, at least the kids will be happy
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yes OP I think coupon burnout IS a real possibility if you have the kind of personality that involoves an " all or nothing " way of thinking. Better to take a giant step back, to see the real picture about one's personal habits involving coupons. Much can be realized from a quick reassessment of what is important to us. We all are in a constant state of change ( families grow, then shrink...our health determines what changes in diet we want to make), so naturally our use for many products either lessens, or disappears altogether. Welcome back though!! Many of us came for the coupon info, but stayed for the fabulous online friendships and laughs.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I lost my coupon binder a while back. I quickly grew my stash of coupons back, but I have to say, after the shock of losing it passed, a sense of relief quickly sunk in because I didn't have think about using them! lol

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

lots of good comments, folks........I coupon sporatically, I do live in the land of "stacking" but my time is of premium value, and my health is fragile (sleep disorder) so it's not a huge priority...when you put coupon deals over time spent with family & friends, the deal is overrated!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponKitten View Post
    i've crafted myself a cute box for my couponing gear
    I have no idea why, but this made me laugh enough that my cats came over to inspect me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information