User Tag List

Page 28 of 103 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast
Like Tree8252Likes

Thread: Ring in the Savings - January 2014 Frugal Chatter thread

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning,

Insane you are so right about it how everyone looks at things. Even on a smaller scale I live in York Region (or the boonies as most put it) I am like an hour or more from Toronto but I cannot tell you how many people in Toronto say they could not handle the weather we get here. We get more snow and the temps are usually colder and obviously wind chills are worse as we do not have building to block them. With that being said people who live here mocked Toronto quite a few years ago when they had a snow storm and called the army in because that was normal here and in most cases our buses were not even cancelled (that is a whole other issue that has been an issue for our area for years, they were fighting about it when I was in elementary school and are still fighting about it now).

I am so looking forward to this weekend they are calling for a high of +9 on Saturday with rain and I cannot wait for some of this snow to melt. It is getting so hard to drive, the snow banks are so high you cannot see to make turns you have to edge out and hope someone honks if they are coming. Even at work right now it is next to impossible to get out of our drive way.

Last night was a bit of a blah night, the only things I got done after work was taking out 3 bags of garbage, there is still one more to go but I only wanted to make one trip across the parking lot as it was a bit slippery. I am hoping when it warms up the parking lot will melt a bit more and I can get a bunch more garbage out. The good news is this is just cleaning up around the house so none of it is food garbage mostly packaging and old clothes that are too far gone to be donated.

So how is everyone's grocery lists looking for the week?

I must admit looks like it is going to be a big shop for us this week. We have not done a properly grocery shop in almost a month as we did not want to leave stuff when we were away and have not done a real grocery shop since we got home. So looks like it is going to be a big week for us now I just need to match up our needs with the flyers. Pretty much if it is produce right now we need it, our fridge is looking pretty bare.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Everytime i get CLOSE to starting an emergency fund we end up with a something broke we gotta make payments (now its 2 visits from the local plumber for frozen water lines in the space of 9 days) almost a thousand dollars owed later and a paranoid fear we're gonna freeze up again we have running water again.
    Saundyl sorry to hear about your pipes.
    But just to let you know, they (the experts) suggest that with these extreme temperatures and with having your pipes bursting before that you should leave it open just a little bit, so that water is constantly running through it, so that it doesn't freeze and then burst.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Not sure yet Ashley, as I haven't received my flyers yet and probably won't until this evening, but as you asked I will now go and take a look here on line and let you now.
    What I'm really looking for this week is ground beef (we love tacos and normally have it once a week...yes we love it that much, but haven't had any in the last month since my beef finish. I if I could get someone on sale tomorrow, then we'll all be so happy. I also need some chicken, pork, some yukon gold potatoes plus bread, milk, fruits the usually staple.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

I am hoping chicken breasts are on sale this week. And frozen fish so I can stock up. I used the rest of both last night. I made homemade chicken strips for hubs for dinner (I had fish). I still deep fried them or he would complain otherwise lol but omg I tasted one and they were sooo good. Almost tasted like KFC chicken.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I am digging out my storage room today to condense Christmas and to purge too many things I have hung on to over the years!!
    Ashley I still have to do my meal plan for next week but so far No Frills will be my go to store this week for carrots and green peppers and celery. I don't need any meat or bread(the amazing benefit of getting a part time job in a bakery!!)Haven't bought bread or buns since i started, however i do have to make cheese buns and pepperoni cheese sticks for lunches for my son and granddaughter for next week, they always sell out at the bakery so no freebies for staff!.I think I will just need to do the No Frills trip and a stop at superstore for milk and coffee cream for the week.Hopefully I can stick to that!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Morning,

Insane you are so right about it how everyone looks at things. Even on a smaller scale I live in York Region (or the boonies as most put it) I am like an hour or more from Toronto but I cannot tell you how many people in Toronto say they could not handle the weather we get here. We get more snow and the temps are usually colder and obviously wind chills are worse as we do not have building to block them. With that being said people who live here mocked Toronto quite a few years ago when they had a snow storm and called the army in because that was normal here and in most cases our buses were not even cancelled (that is a whole other issue that has been an issue for our area for years, they were fighting about it when I was in elementary school and are still fighting about it now).

I am so looking forward to this weekend they are calling for a high of +9 on Saturday with rain and I cannot wait for some of this snow to melt. It is getting so hard to drive, the snow banks are so high you cannot see to make turns you have to edge out and hope someone honks if they are coming. Even at work right now it is next to impossible to get out of our drive way.

Last night was a bit of a blah night, the only things I got done after work was taking out 3 bags of garbage, there is still one more to go but I only wanted to make one trip across the parking lot as it was a bit slippery. I am hoping when it warms up the parking lot will melt a bit more and I can get a bunch more garbage out. The good news is this is just cleaning up around the house so none of it is food garbage mostly packaging and old clothes that are too far gone to be donated.

I must admit looks like it is going to be a big shop for us this week. We have not done a properly grocery shop in almost a month as we did not want to leave stuff when we were away and have not done a real grocery shop since we got home. So looks like it is going to be a big week for us now I just need to match up our needs with the flyers. Pretty much if it is produce right now we need it, our fridge is looking pretty bare.
    I also am looking for the warmer weather this weekend, we need to put 3 more pieces of plywood on the shed and cover with weather shield until we can save up the $ for the tin roof.

Looked quickly at the online version of the flyers via SC but haven't made my list yet but there are some sales I want to take advantage of but given that we only have the truck on the road it makes it more difficult as I won't drive it as it's too big in my opinion so have not been doing regular shopping trips and I think I am going a little stir crazy .

Ashley some 2nd hand stores still take clothing that is not in such great shape as they make up bags of rags for garages or patrons but I know what you mean.

Enjoy your day hon and relax tonight
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Well the day has flown by again and got on the laptop today at 1PM which was the earliest all week so proud of myself, I found it really hard today, I kept checking the clock I think it had to do that I was so tired this am and just wanted to veg out and relax but nope been a busy little bee.

Want to get a quick dusting in the living room before bed tonight and then the living room will be done, moved some house hold décor items from my bedroom to the living room and moved living room items around the living room to change things up and it looks really nice and everything has it's own place and best part no clutter . Also tackled the hutch that has glass doors as things were just thrown in their over time and it looked jammed pack so that is done as well which is super because my living & dining/eating room is open to each other so it all looks super duper until tomorrow am.

Cleaned out the drop leaf desk interior as everything was just thrown in there to hide it and was overwhelming as when opened everything came flying out so that is resolved just need to get a accordion folder for my 2014 filing system. And then we will be on our way to a tidy desk (fingers crossed).

Have to go take my hydro meter reading and call it in today so that I am charged for my actual use and not some random estimate on their part, I have been doing this from years and I find it keeps the hydro companies honest as I am not paying for extra hydro which I am not using at a higher rate of course so this way I have a really good idea of what I should expect to pay each month.

I am so tired now and have not taken anything out for dinner so this not good as I am hoping dh calls and I can tell him to swing by and grab something but I know the chances of that happening are slim to none but a girl can dream can't she. So now I need to decide what I can make the kids for supper without them reacting like the sky is falling (so picky), dh & I could eat a sandwich and be happy but the kiddos don't eat sandwiches they never really have, thinking maybe chicken fingers but sent ds#2 with them for lunch today . I think this a good indication that I need to have a few emergency foods on hand for days like today.....arg...trying to use what we have on hand but don't feel like cooking and of course since I didn't take anything out that certainly does not help....shame on me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

J and C-do you ever mix up pizza dough? I've yet to meet a kid who doesn't like pizza and you might have the fixings of sauce and cheese around-and veggies on the adults as so many kids seem to just like the sauce and cheese-I just use spag sauce and even cheddar if I don't have mozza-you can usually make the dough in your bread maker or food processor or by hand.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

MONEY SAVING TIPS FROM Steven & Chris Tv SHOW (today) via Frugalista....

a drop of dish soap & a pinch of baking soda on a scrub pad for cleaning sinks & tubs (do not make a paste) super easy & cheap

$5.00 stash jar, have a jar and every time you get a $5.00 bill (or whatever amount you want or can afford to stick with) put in the jar over the course of a certain period of time, they did 1 year and she had $400.00

The lady wants to purchase a $60.00 dress
    She makes $15.00 an hour, the dress is $60.00 the frugalista on the show say to divide the cost of the dress by what you make an hour to get a better perspective of what the dress really costs you, this really make alot of sense (thinking outside of the box) so she would have to work 4 hours to buy this dress

She also said that people should pay attention to
    unit price vs. final price @ the Grocery Store(s)
    compare packages & tins etc and make your decisions at that point

hope everyone enjoys these tips & tricks and may find some useful

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Okay I need some insight here-especially from you Ontario folks. I grew up in SW Ontario and I am considering moving back over the next few years. I do believe that housing and food are cheaper there but I think property tax, sales tax and health care may be more. I will have to look into the income tax rates. I believe the winters are generally milder than Calgary although I know this year has been cold there. I also like the idea of a longer summer, spring and fall although I guess I would have to run an air conditioner in the muggy summers! Debating whether it is worth it to give up free healthcare and no sales tax and pretty decent senior benefits in the future to live back around the Great Lakes and better weather and US shopping! So help me out here and tell me what you do and do not like about living in Ontario-thanks. LB

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    J and C-do you ever mix up pizza dough? I've yet to meet a kid who doesn't like pizza and you might have the fixings of sauce and cheese around-and veggies on the adults as so many kids seem to just like the sauce and cheese-I just use spag sauce and even cheddar if I don't have mozza-you can usually make the dough in your bread maker or food processor or by hand.
    Several months back I was making homemade pizza dough and then ds2 told me he didn't like eat and wouldn't really eat so I stopped as I would need to make 2 dinners, then I went back to the 2 pack pizza kits at WM or wherever and that is normally what I keep on hand when in a pinch but I'm out at the moment BUT YOU ARE absolutely correct would have been a great idea to make your own pizzas so easy, tasty & cheap in my opinion but I will hear the skies are falling (lol).

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Nancy just a suggestion when you get close to looking to the metal you need for your roof since it is a shed check with places that sell the material but do not produce it. One of our allied lines at work is steel roofing and a lot of the time we have some extra sheets because something was miss cut at the manufacture or something was miss ordered (never good) but these sheets are usually sold at a discount to get them off the racks. Or if you have happen to have a salvage place around, we have one close to us everything they sell is second hand they go in and do demolition and anything that can be saved is re sold at a discount.

I also feel you on driving a truck. I used to do anything to avoid driving our trucks until one day (and it scared the crap out of me, stomach in knots, trying to avoid having to do it) I had to drive not just one of the trucks but the F250 (at that point really had wished I had done more driving in the F150 than the F250 would not have scared me as much) with the plow on it. To make it worse when I finally decided I had to suck it up and go our Production Manager says to be ok no matter what you do, do not dent the box, it is the only thing we have not dented this year. I wanted to cry, I had to drive the F250 which scares me to my Dad's place and back down his driveway which is hard to do because it is very narrow and there are slight curves to make to avoid hitting things (like the well, the flower boxes on both sides), my Dad's drive way is bad until you get the hang of it but to than have to do it in a truck you are not used to driving. I am happy to say I did and could do it but yeah wow did it scare me and even know I think if someone told me I had too do it again I would still have a little panic to be told I have to drive one of the trucks, I am just too used to my little car.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I also am looking for the warmer weather this weekend, we need to put 3 more pieces of plywood on the shed and cover with weather shield until we can save up the $ for the tin roof.

Looked quickly at the online version of the flyers via SC but haven't made my list yet but there are some sales I want to take advantage of but given that we only have the truck on the road it makes it more difficult as I won't drive it as it's too big in my opinion so have not been doing regular shopping trips and I think I am going a little stir crazy .

Ashley some 2nd hand stores still take clothing that is not in such great shape as they make up bags of rags for garages or patrons but I know what you mean.

Enjoy your day hon and relax tonight
    I am so envious of everything you are getting done, I wish I could get this done in our house.

As for dinner I so feel you on taking something out. This is usually our downfall, there are only so many things you can make from frozen and they are usually the meals we get sick of having.

I am trying to get in the habit of taking out something before I leave for work so when Mom asks what is for dinner I can say there are pork chops on the counter taking the guess work out of dinner. Especially since I need to cut down our eating out already once this week Mom was pushing for the taking out and since I know we will be out all day Saturday and eat out unless I wanted to miss my goal for the week I had to cook dinner. Some days I really wish little fairies would come and cook dinner, I know it will never happen but a girl can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Well the day has flown by again and got on the laptop today at 1PM which was the earliest all week so proud of myself, I found it really hard today, I kept checking the clock I think it had to do that I was so tired this am and just wanted to veg out and relax but nope been a busy little bee.

Want to get a quick dusting in the living room before bed tonight and then the living room will be done, moved some house hold décor items from my bedroom to the living room and moved living room items around the living room to change things up and it looks really nice and everything has it's own place and best part no clutter . Also tackled the hutch that has glass doors as things were just thrown in their over time and it looked jammed pack so that is done as well which is super because my living & dining/eating room is open to each other so it all looks super duper until tomorrow am.

Cleaned out the drop leaf desk interior as everything was just thrown in there to hide it and was overwhelming as when opened everything came flying out so that is resolved just need to get a accordion folder for my 2014 filing system. And then we will be on our way to a tidy desk (fingers crossed).

Have to go take my hydro meter reading and call it in today so that I am charged for my actual use and not some random estimate on their part, I have been doing this from years and I find it keeps the hydro companies honest as I am not paying for extra hydro which I am not using at a higher rate of course so this way I have a really good idea of what I should expect to pay each month.

I am so tired now and have not taken anything out for dinner so this not good as I am hoping dh calls and I can tell him to swing by and grab something but I know the chances of that happening are slim to none but a girl can dream can't she. So now I need to decide what I can make the kids for supper without them reacting like the sky is falling (so picky), dh & I could eat a sandwich and be happy but the kiddos don't eat sandwiches they never really have, thinking maybe chicken fingers but sent ds#2 with them for lunch today . I think this a good indication that I need to have a few emergency foods on hand for days like today.....arg...trying to use what we have on hand but don't feel like cooking and of course since I didn't take anything out that certainly does not help....shame on me.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think the housing costs and property taxes really depend on where you are looking, in my area property tax is insane considering we have nothing in the area. But with that being said it really depends I knew someone who paid about the same for their house both of us in Ontario and their house was bigger and nicer than mine and they were paying about half if not even less than I pay for property tax and it just all comes down to location. When it comes to housing costs what I have done is I look up houses in each area using the price of my home, in my case I looked at if I moved from the house I was in what I could get and than did an MLS search for their area to see what I could get for the same amount and yeah we were talking shack/fixer upper compared to a raised bungalow or even a 2 story home depends on age and what not.

From what I can see yes groceries are cheaper again depending on your area and Asian markets you can get certain items for next to nothing (boonies living does not offer this perk). As for health care I am really not sure about what Ontario offers currently most of what OHIP does not cover is covered by benefits plans through work so I am not sure of health costs here.

They are saying this is the worst winter we have seen in decades but even at that if you moved here compared to what you are now used too you may not see what we see as someone who has always been in Ontario and maybe been spoiled a bit these past few winters. As for summers we do not have AC but I know a lot of people with AC who say it costs next to nothing to cool but heating is where it will get you so less time running heaters here but more AC does really work out cheaper hydro wise.

Okay I need some insight here-especially from you Ontario folks. I grew up in SW Ontario and I am considering moving back over the next few years. I do believe that housing and food are cheaper there but I think property tax, sales tax and health care may be more. I will have to look into the income tax rates. I believe the winters are generally milder than Calgary although I know this year has been cold there. I also like the idea of a longer summer, spring and fall although I guess I would have to run an air conditioner in the muggy summers! Debating whether it is worth it to give up free healthcare and no sales tax and pretty decent senior benefits in the future to live back around the Great Lakes and better weather and US shopping! So help me out here and tell me what you do and do not like about living in Ontario-thanks. LB

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh yes and I forgot you have that time of day hydro use which would be a bit of a pain since we don't have it here. I checked out the income tax rates and up to about $41,000 per person of income they are 10% in AB and 5.05% in Ontario which I guess gives some money to pay for sales tax and OHIP. Anyway we will be visiting this summer so will check out a couple of areas we may be interested in retiring to and run the numbers.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am a SW Ontario girl for sure. I grew up in small towns around London and my parents are still there. I now live in a big town outside of Toronto. We can get to our parents in 90 minutes, DHs parents are down there too. I love the area. We could sell our house here and buy three bigger houses there, but our jobs will always be in the GTA. I know a bunch of ladies in this thread live in the area. If you ski you will miss Alberta, we dont have mountains we have hills. We are only 60 minutes to the border so we often go to NY to ski and shop. The proximity to the lakes and the amazing parks makes for great summers. Yes it is hot and humid, but on a day like today I would take the humidity. Of course ask me when the humidex is 40 degrees and I will be singing a different tune. We live in Oakville and are just miles to the lake & I think if I ever left here I would still want to be close to the water. Our property taxes are decent. My parents pay as much in a small town. All of our parents are seniors from 65-88 yrs old and so far I can`t complain about the quality of healthcare, but I imagine it is because they are not too far from London and there is a big hospital network.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 28 of 103 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread Information