User Tag List

Page 34 of 103 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast
Like Tree8252Likes

Thread: Ring in the Savings - January 2014 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Morning,

Insane you are so right about it how everyone looks at things. Even on a smaller scale I live in York Region (or the boonies as most put it) I am like an hour or more from Toronto but I cannot tell you how many people in Toronto say they could not handle the weather we get here. We get more snow and the temps are usually colder and obviously wind chills are worse as we do not have building to block them. With that being said people who live here mocked Toronto quite a few years ago when they had a snow storm and called the army in because that was normal here and in most cases our buses were not even cancelled (that is a whole other issue that has been an issue for our area for years, they were fighting about it when I was in elementary school and are still fighting about it now).

I am so looking forward to this weekend they are calling for a high of +9 on Saturday with rain and I cannot wait for some of this snow to melt. It is getting so hard to drive, the snow banks are so high you cannot see to make turns you have to edge out and hope someone honks if they are coming. Even at work right now it is next to impossible to get out of our drive way.

Last night was a bit of a blah night, the only things I got done after work was taking out 3 bags of garbage, there is still one more to go but I only wanted to make one trip across the parking lot as it was a bit slippery. I am hoping when it warms up the parking lot will melt a bit more and I can get a bunch more garbage out. The good news is this is just cleaning up around the house so none of it is food garbage mostly packaging and old clothes that are too far gone to be donated.

So how is everyone's grocery lists looking for the week?

I must admit looks like it is going to be a big shop for us this week. We have not done a properly grocery shop in almost a month as we did not want to leave stuff when we were away and have not done a real grocery shop since we got home. So looks like it is going to be a big week for us now I just need to match up our needs with the flyers. Pretty much if it is produce right now we need it, our fridge is looking pretty bare.
    OMG! We still poke fun at Toronto for that! I was living in Ontario at the time. They are going to be the laughing stock of my generation for that!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We don`t have a family but it`s still important to have a will...have had one for at least 20 years. We`ve updated it once since then, have a different executor and took someone out. I find it difficult to decide what to do with an estate when there are no children.

This morning the guy came to measure the cabinets for the pull out shelves. Can`t wait til that`s done.

Today was the second 60th birthday celebration. We went for lunch at Schmitsville in Wellesley. Had a great time with old friends. The next one will be in a month probably at the same place. Was glad the weather co-operated so I could get there.

Tomorrow I`d like to go visit my brother. Will probably do my groceries when I`m in Stratford. Would like to get to BBW too. Don`t need anything but would like to pick up some cheap hand soap.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Hope your brother is improving everyday and you have a good visit Crotchet lady.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    I always believed that, when bringing kids up, we reap what we sow, so I guess that putting the time in to teach mine the life skills paid off when I went back to work.
    Knowing how to cook when you leave the nest saves you a "boatload" of money over a lifetime, as my friend would say.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    A question: Would you take on a paper route that pays $9 for 1-1/4 hours of walking? Just curious. I took on a paper route which I thought would take an hour but it is longer. I know that I'm being paid to exercise lol but am thinking of asking for a bit more for that amount of work. What do you all think?
    I never knew paper routes had negotiable salaries. The paper industry is suffering at the moment (Globe and Mail, Toronto Star are now offering online editions) and costs of producing the paper are rising. There may be plenty of kids willing to take $9 off your hands (as kids have 100% disposable income). Now may not be the best time to ask for a raise. Is there a way you can cut back on the time, like riding a bike? I'd do it for $9. Am I just cheap? Don't answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    As to Ashley QOTD from yesterday: here is my shopping list:
    Food Basics:
    Cherries (yes I know that they are expensive @ $2.97 per lb. but after the week I've had with this cold I'm getting some cherries as 1 of my treats )
    Mmmm....cherries are my favourite. If they look good, $2.97 is worth every penny. Although I reminisce about the $0.99 days...

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    QUESTION for you SMART ladies!!!!

Can my inlaws be our guarantors on passport applications as they don't live with us, does anyone know??? It seems that the gurantor has to have a current passport which is different than the way it used to be, kind of weird oh well - thanks in advance
    According to their website, your spouse can be your guarantor if he held a valid passport. Anyone can do it as long as they have a valid passport and has known you for two years. I found it amusing that you can apply for a passport for your child and the other parent can be the guarantor.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section2.aspx?lang=eng
    Family members

A family member or any individual residing at your address may be your guarantor provided he or she meets the specified requirements. If you are the parent or legal guardian applying for a passport for your child, you cannot act as guarantor; however, the other parent can.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Okay I need some insight here-especially from you Ontario folks. I grew up in SW Ontario and I am considering moving back over the next few years. I do believe that housing and food are cheaper there but I think property tax, sales tax and health care may be more. I will have to look into the income tax rates. I believe the winters are generally milder than Calgary although I know this year has been cold there. I also like the idea of a longer summer, spring and fall although I guess I would have to run an air conditioner in the muggy summers! Debating whether it is worth it to give up free healthcare and no sales tax and pretty decent senior benefits in the future to live back around the Great Lakes and better weather and US shopping! So help me out here and tell me what you do and do not like about living in Ontario-thanks. LB
    Cheaper housing and food do not necessarily go together. I used to be able to get pretty good pricing on food, but lived in a high priced area (with family member). Now our property tax is higher, but the house is much less expensive, for approximately the same space.

One of my best friends who hails from Edmonton, moved to the GTA and loved it here. Her job unfortunately called her back to Calgary and she didn't want to leave. I thought she was loyal to Alberta where she could own her horses and loved her wide open spaces, but she quickly fell in love with the convenience of the big city. The natural beauty might be something you'd miss, but there is so much to do here, and groups of people to share common interests with.

I will say that the air is much drier in Edmonton/Calgary, and especially in the winters. When I visited, I dried up like a prune and developed an addiction to the Rocky Mountain Soap Company to fix my painful skin. When she came here, she abandoned all her moisturizers altogether.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

crochetlady hope your brother is coming along

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Getting ready to do shopping, finally got my shopping list done for today's shop and I will admit this is going to be interesting our list is insane but I had already planned on stocking up and than mom took a look at the flyers and she found things I had not planned on stocking up on but we both agreed since we have not shopped in almost a month and last week's grocery cost us under $19 we are well under on our grocery budget and to go for it.

When I get home to tonight I will post how my shop went including anything I could not get. I think we have to go to about 5 stores but we are going to head out of our little town and do a lot pf price matching at larger stores so I am hopeful they will have stock and there will not be too many No Stocks on my list once I get home.

Time to get all my flyers packed and coupons out.

Crochetlady hope you have a wonderful visit with your brother.

Hope everyone has a great day and enjoys this nice warm weather.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

well that was that.. its out of my hands now..
    its quite foggy here..
    not sure but possibly heading to target this morning and to pick up some items too. for a project.
    have to be back here for 3... so tired didn't sleep well last night.
    like to back to bed. might have a nap later when we get home.
    hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Taking it is easy. My lower back is horribly sore with a dull constant pain. Feels like early labour but without the contraction break...since I am not pregnant I am thinking PMS cramps? Never had this before.

Cleaned the whole house to keep my mind off of it.

Resting up. Monday is Jury Duty and after that my life will be dedicated to report cards every spare moment.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Granger-hope you feel better soon. Maybe see your doc to rule out things like urinary tract infection, ovarian issues etc-hopefully like you say just severe PMS.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks to all who provided feedback on the pros and cons of living in Ontario. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and time. Looking forward to visiting in July for our family reunion and tentative house swap we have arranged in order to get a better sense of whether it would be the right decision for our family-I think DD and DH might need some convincing! No real plans for today so that ought to be pretty frugal! Just got back from a walk-it is fairly mild although the footing is not great-people are not always great about shoveling their walks and the city is just now getting around to removing snow from some of the streets in our neighbourhood.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Granger - I used to get that horrible back cramps with my period and than it became prior to my period. I agree with Lizzie if you they do not clear up I would get checked out but hopefully it clears up soon
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Change in plans for today mom was talking to her friend who lives where we were going to go shopping and fog has moved in and apparently it is pea soup out there. She said she cannot see her neighbour across the street and she went for a walk and said visibility was poor walking so we have decided to stay in. Kind of bummed as I am sure by the time I can get out to grocery shop in the week I will not be able to get what is on my list.

Laundry has been started and who knows what else today will bring. Looks like next will be shoveling.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well I was sticking my fingers in grout this morning -brother-in-law asked me for his help -I didn't mind -doing laundy and I think I will drive over to library and get the 2 books I have onhold

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
    I have a few insights. My family, (all the wee-four of us) lived in SW Calgary for a year. We moved back to Ontario, in the exact same town where we used to live before moving to Calgary. So, in that 1 year, there was a lot of observations, pros and cons. I will ask my DH about his insights and then later post it all on here.
    So, here goes my insights with DH's input:

Cheaper in Calgary:
    Car insurance
    Home insurance
    Gasoline
    Internet - faster speed

Same, either way in Ontario and Calgary:
    Utilities
    Home phone

Weather - Ontario is better in general and snow removal is very good.

Groceries - more competition, better sales, lower cost in Ontario

Alcohol sales & distribution - less restrictive in Calgary (This part was DH's favorite!)

We actually moved back to Ontario because we cannot afford the housing prices in Calgary. We considered buying for a few months, looked at a few houses in different areas, and then gave up, when DH got fed up with the crowds in the morning train commute. I also got a case of depression in Calgary, I stayed in our bedroom a lot, which eventually DH noticed and got worried. The multiple layers of snow and ice on the ground for over 3 months did not help, at all. I missed the variety of grocery stores around here in our area, there are 8 different grocery stores here, compared to only 3 that I go to in Calgary. A bad case of eczema flared up on my arm due to the dryness in the air. We missed having an A/C and now we have an above ground pool, which was not an option in Calgary. It was quite an experience moving to Calgary, we passed by Mount Rushmore on the way there and we seem to appreciate living in Ontario a lot more, regardless of the HST. But DH said, if his job situation changes due to outsourcing, we might end up moving back to Calgary again.

Good Luck with whatever you decide with!
    Last edited by JadeAngel; Sat, Jan 11th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thanks for the advice. I had a UTI in Dec. have some extra medication (doc said to take 3 days and save the other 2 in case it came back). If the pain doesn't go away or I have urinary symptoms I plan to take the extra meds and book an apt. I have had kidney stones in the past so that is always a possibility. Will also request bloodwork. Been doing some reading on magnesium deficiency. Will know more if pain goes away with Miss Flow when she arrives and departs.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Page 34 of 103 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread Information