Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Hope you get some great trades
    Thank you Nancy...I hope so too .

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Most frugal thing all week.

Had bought curtains for bedroom. Hung them these week and they needed ties. I only used 3 of the four panels so I used the fourth to make the ties. I own a sewing machine, but don't yet know how to work it and didn't want to sew. Did the job for free with scissors, an iron, glue gun, ribbon and buttons from my sewing kit. You would never know, they turned out great.

:D
    Great job Granger...and definitely frugal...as you were able to save yourself a few $ by making it yourself.
    Great job.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    Great job Granger...and definitely frugal...as you were able to save yourself a few $ by making it yourself.
    Great job.
    Well said, couldn't have said it better myself
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Evening Ladies,

Re-stripped drawer #4 & 5, then sanded both and then decided to apply poly only on 1 drawer to see how it turned out. The stupid thing still has the white stain or whatever pain in the ass residue....sigh...spoke with ds and well still going to proceed with drawer 5 tomorrow, dh will be picking up the blue paint for the dresser body as ds has agreed, I mentioned my concerns about the white residue and he said that the body of the dresser would be better painted vs. stripped and left natural with the stupid white bleeding through (my words not his ).

Dinner was a $3.00 ham purchased a month or so ago from food basics with a pkg. of scalloped potatoes, green&yellow beans with brownies for dessert, pretty cheap meal.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

As you all know, I am a substitute teacher and the last two weeks have kept me busy, which is a good thing. I am booked to teach a full day tomorrow (morning Grade 5, afternoon in Kindergarten). So why is that whenever I get a bunch of work my LO has to get sick. LO was teething last week. This week he got sick and just kept getting worse. Took him to the walk in clinic after work today. Just got him antibiotics for tonsillitis. My in-home daycare lady said that he could come back again tomorrow, as long as he was not any worse. He pretty much refused to eat today and only had yogurt. I told her that tomorrow would be a shorter day so I'd be able to drop him off at about 8:30am and pick him up at 3:45pm. He started his antibiotics and the doctor said to give him Tylenol for the pain. I will make sure he has both in the morning before he goes and I'll pack both for him. I'm really hoping that he is ok enough for me to work tomorrow, because then it will be the weekend. I have my university lecture again on Monday and I need to read 3 chapters by then (the textbook arrived today). *sigh* That's how life goes sometimes.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

oh no Angela.. hope he's ok.

Nancy.. maybe you can get some vinyl stick on's from the dollar store to cover up the booboo..

after a month and a half of battling with #250 on candy crush i finally beat it. OMG. this is better than.. well. im just happy.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Three words: report card procrastination.

Why do I have to type 3 pages worth of comments (x28 kids) that a) aren't news to the parents or b) the parents don't understand. How about I list main topics taught and write two goals for each student one learning skills and one academic? That and the grades would be way more meaningful.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    As you all know, I am a substitute teacher and the last two weeks have kept me busy, which is a good thing. I am booked to teach a full day tomorrow (morning Grade 5, afternoon in Kindergarten). So why is that whenever I get a bunch of work my LO has to get sick. LO was teething last week. This week he got sick and just kept getting worse. Took him to the walk in clinic after work today. Just got him antibiotics for tonsillitis. My in-home daycare lady said that he could come back again tomorrow, as long as he was not any worse. He pretty much refused to eat today and only had yogurt. I told her that tomorrow would be a shorter day so I'd be able to drop him off at about 8:30am and pick him up at 3:45pm. He started his antibiotics and the doctor said to give him Tylenol for the pain. I will make sure he has both in the morning before he goes and I'll pack both for him. I'm really hoping that he is ok enough for me to work tomorrow, because then it will be the weekend. I have my university lecture again on Monday and I need to read 3 chapters by then (the textbook arrived today). *sigh* That's how life goes sometimes.
    Hope your little guy feels better soon, poor guy .

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    oh no Angela.. hope he's ok.

Nancy.. maybe you can get some vinyl stick on's from the dollar store to cover up the booboo..

after a month and a half of battling with #250 on candy crush i finally beat it. OMG. this is better than.. well. im just happy.
    congrats on your win . I wish I could do the vinyl stick or paint the whole thing but Logan knows what he wants and well I have been trying my best but great suggestion, I'm lucky I'm not bald (sigh...with my hair pulling) but it is what it is the drawers will not be perfect and he does not want them painted so he will have to live with it. I am sure when all is done he will love it regardless, he is very sentimental, we offered to buy him a new dresser at IKEA but nope he wanted his to look like his other dresser (natural wood with light stain).

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Why do I have to type 3 pages worth of comments (x28 kids) that a) aren't news to the parents or b) the parents don't understand. How about I list main topics taught and write two goals for each student one learning skills and one academic? That and the grades would be way more meaningful.
    I can certainly understand your procrastination, that's a lot of work and you're right we don't understand them , we look at the great and comments and sign & return

Now kiddy up and do it (just kidding)

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I'm having a heck of a time with my mouse.. its going all wonky.. if it keeps acting up im going to have to start using my old computer.. hopefully i can get back on here. if not my tablet..thank goodness for back ups.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I wanted to go to BBW for the cheap soap but after FB and Dollarama decided my back was too sore to do that amount of walking for something I really didn`t need. Should use the ones I have before buying more. After we left the hospital we went to NF. That place was a zoo.
    That's terrific that you saved on "cheap soap" because you didn't really need it!

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Wow, your child must be a light sleeper. When we came home from the hospital with our first of five, a seasoned mom told me to make sure I made enough noise when my baby was sleeping so he'd get used to it. I would even vacuum his room while he was sleeping lol Maybe that explains why all our guys sleep so soundly at night!
    I wish! I tried making lots of noise when LO first came home. After the first month or so, she decided not to sleep at all during the day. My mother told me that "she'll sleep when she's tired". She must never be tired then. She can go the entire day (at least 13 hours) and not sleep a wink if it's not quiet enough or she's not calm enough. She makes up for it at night when she sleeps through loud noises - but I am not going to make a habit of vacuuming at 3 AM! She's a good night sleeper, but a dismal day sleeper. Now I have to nurse her to sleep before she finally gives permission to close her eyes. DH takes her into his game room where he swaddles her up tight and plays XBox and literally bores her to sleep!

If she hasn't slept by 4 PM, I feel I have to force a nap by nursing her to sleep to keep her from having a grumpy night.

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    I did manage to get another $20.00 put on LOC as I used a GC today.
    Another super savings!

Ashley inspired me to do a blog update. Here is my blog if you are interested to know a little more about me. I mostly upkeep for documenting my own journey and to keep family up to date.

http://mommywhatnow.blogspot.ca
    I loved your blog! Please keep writing!

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    QOTD would be for those who stockpile (I do). Do you worry about stuff like this our do you use it anyways?
    I am concerned about it but will still use it within reason. For milk and dairy, at a week after the expiry, if it looks or smells even a bit off, out it goes. If it's something that has no expiry, like laundry detergent, I'd probably shake it up and use it anyways. I soak/pre-scrub most items so I wouldn't notice if it had less cleaning power.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

So, I think this has been the most unfrugal month in the history of unfrugal months. Well, it seems that way for me. To sum up today, it would have to be something like this: , followed by .

Our computer died on the weekend. It was either one of two things, both of which the repair guy didn't have so we could take a gamble on a $300 part, or an $800 part, plus labour. We could spend $1200 and buy both parts, only to find out that neither of them fixed the issue.

So, we decided to get a new computer. We bought a replacement Mac because we recently bought all the programs for the old one. To switch to a PC now means that the huge expense of the programs would be a waste and we'd have to repurchase them for a PC. DH used to use the Mac for extra income, which was why we bought one in the first place, years ago. Now with work and LO, he has no time. Total: a few thousand.

Car insurance is due this month: another few thousand. We have insurance with the lowest rates I can find, but it still seems like a lot.

I called our phone company to see if I could reduce our phone and internet bill. They said they were losing money because too many people called in to reduce their rates. There are no more offerings of reduced rates. Our bills will go up by 50% this month.

Top that off with calling to see what childcare will be once I return to work. Holy. Jumping. Jellybeans. All the daycares raised their rates. I graduated from university in a four year program (this century) and it's going to cost close to the same amount to have strangers put LO to nap, give her snacks, and change a diaper before she's ready for kindergarten. Can't I just enroll her in university to have her graduate with a degree by the time she starts grade one? My education bills included residence and a meal plan.

You've. Got. To. Be. Joking. How do parents afford five figures every year for daycare? And what boggles my mind is that there is such thing as an RESP program to allow parents to save $50,000 for university over 17 years, but NOTHING to help parents save pretty close to that amount for daycare, which sucks up a similar amount in just over three years. I feel like calling my MPP in the morning.

I checked the recent daycare cost increases and was nearly on the floor hyperventilating into a bag. The other option of course is leaving her with a stranger in a basement playroom. Both our parents are much older with health issues and not able to look after her full time and we have no family members nearby. If I leave work, there's no guarantee I'll be able to find anything in a few years in my line of work, and DH has zero benefits. It'll only take a few dental bills like last year (again in the thousands) to rack up the debt.

This past year, instead of buying Christmas gifts, we were going to replace the patio door. It actually doesn't close and poses a security risk. Likely another few thousand to add to the bill.

Soon I have to look into tire costs for the car. We need both a summer set and a winter set of tires. Of course we can't put a price on safety, but.... Somebody please pass the smelling salts. I'm feeling woozy again....

Somehow, these staggering costs make walking by bows on clearance at Target for $0.10 seem like such an empty victory. I'm feeling discouraged and down looking at these numbers. Sigh.

We have the smallest house on the block. We drive the teensiest car possible. I try to spend minimally on what we need and still I feel so far behind.

Some days are just so frustrating. I'm happy the day is over.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

oh sweet sparrow -take it one day at a time -I can understand how you feel in 2012 lost my job -then my mom passed in march 2013 just a few months after had a lot of expected bills-lost a relationship with a family member-car problems
    -on the upside you have a sweet baby -as I do with my grandaugther
    -trust me watched "ashyn" the other day -mommy had a dentist apt and she only napped for 20 minutes-she wants to be stimulated and played with sometimes-I only watched her 2 and a half hours -but it is tiring sometimes-I also did a load of laundry for her also
    -as for daycare-well my son is pretty cheap in life always has been-he said he can watch the baby 2 or 3 days out of the week(he works 12 hour shifts) but with daycare that Is not feasible my daughter-in-law's aunt said she would do it for free 2 days a week-i would love to watch her instead of going back to work-but I am dealing with a few health problems at the moment-we will see come oct how this plays out-but the daycare prices are awful-how do young couples get ahead with a mortgage in life its not like years ago -mind you I stayed home for 8 years when they were little
    -there Is nothing in this world like a babies smile(it sure makes everything feel better)
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Jan 17th, 2014 at 07:04 AM.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Hope you LO feels better.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post

SO sorry to hear about all of this Sweet Sparrow, I know it always seems like when it rains it pours. Actually my mom and neighbour were talking about it last night which in a strange way made me feel better to know I am not the only one feeling this way and it is not just my age.

When it comes to daycare do you know anyone locally with small kids who might be able to suggest something. I am not sure if it is an option for you (I know some do not feel comfortable with this option) but sometimes you can find someone who offers in home daycare who is wonderful and usually at a cheaper price. Where I live this is what a lot of people have to do as we only have a couple of Day Cares and it has been said you need to have your kid on the waiting list before you become pregnant to get them in, although I have heard some say it is getting better. But I know locally we have a number of in home Day Cares where the person running them is an ECE who works in one of the local day care centers but when they had kids it was not worth the cost to put their kids in the Day Care so they now take in a few kids and run it out of their homes. Also in some cases (not sure if this would apply to you) because the in home day care has ECE in some cases if you qualify you can get a subsidy which may go further if the cost is a lower. Not sure how this works but I do know of some people who have put their children in, in home day cares and were getting back most of the cost but again I do not know their financial situations.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    So, I think this has been the most unfrugal month in the history of unfrugal months. Well, it seems that way for me. To sum up today, it would have to be something like this: , followed by .

Our computer died on the weekend. It was either one of two things, both of which the repair guy didn't have so we could take a gamble on a $300 part, or an $800 part, plus labour. We could spend $1200 and buy both parts, only to find out that neither of them fixed the issue.

So, we decided to get a new computer. We bought a replacement Mac because we recently bought all the programs for the old one. To switch to a PC now means that the huge expense of the programs would be a waste and we'd have to repurchase them for a PC. DH used to use the Mac for extra income, which was why we bought one in the first place, years ago. Now with work and LO, he has no time. Total: a few thousand.

Car insurance is due this month: another few thousand. We have insurance with the lowest rates I can find, but it still seems like a lot.

I called our phone company to see if I could reduce our phone and internet bill. They said they were losing money because too many people called in to reduce their rates. There are no more offerings of reduced rates. Our bills will go up by 50% this month.

Top that off with calling to see what childcare will be once I return to work. Holy. Jumping. Jellybeans. All the daycares raised their rates. I graduated from university in a four year program (this century) and it's going to cost close to the same amount to have strangers put LO to nap, give her snacks, and change a diaper before she's ready for kindergarten. Can't I just enroll her in university to have her graduate with a degree by the time she starts grade one? My education bills included residence and a meal plan.

You've. Got. To. Be. Joking. How do parents afford five figures every year for daycare? And what boggles my mind is that there is such thing as an RESP program to allow parents to save $50,000 for university over 17 years, but NOTHING to help parents save pretty close to that amount for daycare, which sucks up a similar amount in just over three years. I feel like calling my MPP in the morning.

I checked the recent daycare cost increases and was nearly on the floor hyperventilating into a bag. The other option of course is leaving her with a stranger in a basement playroom. Both our parents are much older with health issues and not able to look after her full time and we have no family members nearby. If I leave work, there's no guarantee I'll be able to find anything in a few years in my line of work, and DH has zero benefits. It'll only take a few dental bills like last year (again in the thousands) to rack up the debt.

This past year, instead of buying Christmas gifts, we were going to replace the patio door. It actually doesn't close and poses a security risk. Likely another few thousand to add to the bill.

Soon I have to look into tire costs for the car. We need both a summer set and a winter set of tires. Of course we can't put a price on safety, but.... Somebody please pass the smelling salts. I'm feeling woozy again....

Somehow, these staggering costs make walking by bows on clearance at Target for $0.10 seem like such an empty victory. I'm feeling discouraged and down looking at these numbers. Sigh.

We have the smallest house on the block. We drive the teensiest car possible. I try to spend minimally on what we need and still I feel so far behind.

Some days are just so frustrating. I'm happy the day is over.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 49 of 103 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast

Thread Information