User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sochi Winter Olympic Games "present" threat.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

In the last few weeks there seems to have been more violence than usual near wear the Winter games will be held. And now a message has been posted on a Jihadi website claiming that a "present" will befall tourists and athletes that attend the games.

Now it's a big event, it's the Olympics so it's no surprise someone is planning to do something stupid, but what I found interesting is that the US is taking it so serious that they are putting together a rescue plan to get US citizens out of Russia if something should happen.

US studying possible rescue plans incase of Crisis at Sochi Olympics

The US Ski team has an evac plan in place

The US State Dept has issued travel warnings for US travelers attending

Hopefully nothing happens but I can't imagine being there as an athlete will this on your mind and it not having an impact on your performance.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

They are in a really isolated place too. I think this is the first time in a while I actually think something awful could happen. These bloody idiots don't value this life because they think paradise awaits them. So why not blow yourself up and take a few infidels with you. So sad to be that effed up by religion.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Very true, Patty.

Hoping they at least find the black widow.

I do believe the Russians will do everything possible to protect everyone - as much as any other country could, and probably more.
    princessjen, TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Let's not forget those virgins all waiting for those idiots who blow themselves up!

I just heard on CNN that two US warships and aircraft are on stand-by in case thay're required for evacuation of US citizens. Three terrorists including a "Black Widow" may be ready to meet their maker and take others with them. Russian authorities may be doing all they can, and I pray it's enough.

Tara, I came on here just now to start an Olympic thread...great minds think alike....
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Lynn, there's a general Olympics thread
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/367916-...pics-canada-2/
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Missed that! Thanks, Natalka!!
    Natalka and TaraF like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Patty I know what you mean about feeling something could actually happen. I mean it can at any of the games but with the violence happeening so much there right now it is certainly worrriesome.

Natalka I was reading today about the black widow. Scary stuff to be thinking of and it must weigh heavily on the althetes.

Lynn, I was wondering if they (US) had come to a decision on the warships or not. This is what I was just reading:

"The plan calls for warships with helicopters to sail to the Black Sea this week and for C-17 transport planes to be placed on standby in Germany, an American official told CNN Monday.

The German site is about two hours by air from Sochi.
    The ships and planes are “just in case the Russians ask for help” and “if something happens, like a major terrorist attack, and we need to get Americans out,” the unnamed official said."

Full article HERE

Natalka, when I started this thread is that I didn't see the general Olympics one. The interesting thing however us when I was titling the thread the original one didn't pop up in the "similar" threads spot either.

*Edit: I just read that Russia claims to have killed one of the black widows.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, Jan 21st, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's okay, the other will just focus on the games/sports/athletes.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well, I am getting worried.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I was reading an article today that said a rescue operation within Russia of Americans would have to be approved by Putin, which is highly unlikely. I truly hope nothing happens but if it does countries are going to be left with a President known for control and who in my opinion would be too proud to accept help from the US or any other country in getting people to safety.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I was reading an article today that said a rescue operation within Russia of Americans would have to be approved by Putin, which is highly unlikely. I truly hope nothing happens but if it does countries are going to be left with a President known for control and who in my opinion would be too proud to accept help from the US or any other country in getting people to safety.
    I don't know, I think the U.S. would not be so quick to accept help either. Big egos are not exclusive to Putin , Obama is pretty egotistical as well.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I definitely agree with you on that point Patty. CTV News tonight was talking about the Olympics security concerns and several of the Canadian athletes have told their families to stay home saying that it just isn't worth it. Good for them. It's better to play it safe.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Not only has there been another Militant threat against the Olympics, but US athletes have been warned to not wear their colours outside the Olympic venue.

This is just sad for the athletes to even have to worry about something happening to them as thy partake of the games.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

So it was the first real threat the games have potentially had to deal with. Yesterday a Ukrainian man, on a Turkey bound flight, tried to hijack a plan to Sochi to demand release of prisoners.
    Last edited by TaraF; Sat, Feb 8th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information