User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: What To Do About Trains

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin9211 View Post
    Yes - postage did increase. We all know it. And it sucks for all of us. BUT:

Anything less than 3 Stamps (or $1.80) isn't worth it for the conductor.

I guess what I am trying to say is I would support a 3 stamp BP Cap.
    There is a big difference between 3 stamps ($2.55) and $1.80 though - what should it be set at?
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    539 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    There is a big difference between 3 stamps ($2.55) and $1.80 though - what should it be set at?
    Sorry - I knew what I meant - LOL!!

Include $1.80 in postage to get your envie back home + a BP option like stickers, pen, sample, etc OR

3 stamps - The conductor would use two stamps ($1.70) + make up the difference with .10 stamps and keep the third stamp as the "boarding pass".

Does this explain my thought better?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yes that makes sense
    Anna Michele and SassyAshley like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

I totally agree with Pumpkin. When I conduct a train I spend several hours sorting & checking all the coupons & making sure my riders get what they want.
    I would not do this if I had to pay the additional postage if the BP was only 2 stamps. I have never mailed any of my trains home that were less than 50g, they always fall 50-100g & some even over 100g if riders ask for samples.

In addition to my time I also take into account all the replacement coupons I add in for mistakes. For these reasons an extra stamp or 2 per rider isn't unreasonable. It's ALOT more work to conduct a good train than to just ride one. I think if you put a 2 stamp limit of VWTs you'll lose a lot of good conductors. I'm not going to be out money & spend all that time.

Assuming no one here is buying $1 single stamps, with current stamp prices a 3 stamp BP the conductor would "make" $.75/rider. But take away from that the "cost" of replacement coupons & the odd envie that weighs over 100g (usually 1 per train for me).

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ok, I may be way out in left field here and I do not ride a lot of VWT as I find I cannot fill the requirements but to me it looks like there is an issue with riders not fulfilling the rules of the train and in the end it is costing the conductor. What happens here because the way I see it the conductor is correcting this but does the rider get a neutral or negative so other conductors can see if the same person is continuously making mistakes? In theory and I do not know if this happens or not the same person could continuously not follow the rules get their Wish List coupons and in turn send other riders coupons they do not need which the conductor corrects so they are getting ahead so to say getting the coupons they want/need and possibly be costing the conductor as they leave them with coupons they cannot use after they correct the error.

I understand mistakes can be made but it seems really unfair to conductors especially if it happens time after time with the same people.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Late to this thread, but I've backed off trains as well.

I find the VWT very frustrating as it seems people ask for the sky, and I often don't have these stamps, so I end up using stamps instead of coupons. I did better hosting them, but they take a lot of time to check, and I don't think it is worth my time.

I really like traditional trains, but it feels like I put in good coupons and sometimes when it arrives back there are no decent coupons left.

I did a traditional train before CHristmas that went missing. I haven't hosted since then, and not sure if I would again. I didn't pursue doing anything with it, just retired the thread.

I like the idea of listing what is in traditional trains before it leaves the host, but that is a lot of time involved and not sure I would take the time to do that. WOuldn't mind being on a train doing that, but don't think I would do it myself.

I also don't like boarding passes. I never did them on my traditional trains, and only 1-2 on my few VWTs I did (just enough to cover postage back). Frankly, it felt like I was paying someone for their time in organizing trains with stamps, and I don't agree with that and it started to get excessive, 4-5 stamps on some of the trains!

I took a break from trading and trains, as I was frustrated with it all, and just starting to venture back into trading, which I think I will do better with.

I wouldn't mind going back to trains, if there were very clear and strict guidelines, but don't think I would host again. I do hope we continue with the package trains as they were fun. Just can't do them right now.
    Last edited by kellyanna_99; Sat, Apr 12th, 2014 at 04:54 PM.
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    341 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsMom View Post
    I totally agree with Pumpkin. When I conduct a train I spend several hours sorting & checking all the coupons & making sure my riders get what they want.
    I would not do this if I had to pay the additional postage if the BP was only 2 stamps. I have never mailed any of my trains home that were less than 50g, they always fall 50-100g & some even over 100g if riders ask for samples.

In addition to my time I also take into account all the replacement coupons I add in for mistakes. For these reasons an extra stamp or 2 per rider isn't unreasonable. It's ALOT more work to conduct a good train than to just ride one. I think if you put a 2 stamp limit of VWTs you'll lose a lot of good conductors. I'm not going to be out money & spend all that time.

Assuming no one here is buying $1 single stamps, with current stamp prices a 3 stamp BP the conductor would "make" $.75/rider. But take away from that the "cost" of replacement coupons & the odd envie that weighs over 100g (usually 1 per train for me).
    Yeah, I think the cap should be at 3 stamps but giving the option of say

2x P / .85 and a .10¢ (and ask for an extra Wishlist coupon or two/samples)
    Or if the rider doesn't have the 10 then
    3x P stamps

I also think there should be some rules set in place for those who have more than one mistake on a VWT. I like Venuila's rule that for every coupon she replaces it's one less she gives to that rider. Everyone shouldn't be punished for a few people's mistakes. And we need to decide how many mistakes will result in a neutral rating so everyones on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyanna_99 View Post
    Late to this thread, but I've back off trains as well.

I find the VWT very frustrating as it seems people ask for the sky, and I often don't have these stamps, so I end up using stamps instead of coupons. I did better hosting them, but they take a lot of time to check, and I don't think it is worth my time.
    I have no idea what to do about Wishlists. I think almost all of us our guilty of putting hard to find coupons in our 1 point category. I know alot of conductors say to look at the Dollars and cents thread for ideas but a lot of those coupons come from reps, mail outs, packing. I posted a VWT the other day with a stricter point system but no one seemed interested. Not sure there's a whole lot you can do to fix it as people have different coupons stashes etc too.

Join Swagbucks!! Get FREE Amazon codes and much more! Just click here http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Habs13

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I think we really need to differentiate between
    Boarding Pass (payment to the conductor) and stamps for postage

The sample thing we also need to discuss with the stamp prices as they are going over the limits (sending a breathe right or white strip is different than a tube of something that makes the envie too big for lettermail)
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Ok, I may be way out in left field here and I do not ride a lot of VWT as I find I cannot fill the requirements but to me it looks like there is an issue with riders not fulfilling the rules of the train and in the end it is costing the conductor. What happens here because the way I see it the conductor is correcting this but does the rider get a neutral or negative so other conductors can see if the same person is continuously making mistakes? In theory and I do not know if this happens or not the same person could continuously not follow the rules get their Wish List coupons and in turn send other riders coupons they do not need which the conductor corrects so they are getting ahead so to say getting the coupons they want/need and possibly be costing the conductor as they leave them with coupons they cannot use after they correct the error.

I understand mistakes can be made but it seems really unfair to conductors especially if it happens time after time with the same people.
    I have said it many times but people need to start leaving neutrals/negs when they are deserved. Some mistakes are probably a result of misunderstanding but without leaving a rating, each time the conductor assumes it is the first mistake and lets it go.
    I know it was very unpopular on package trains but at some point you need to treat all ratings according the rules because it impacts other traders
    Anna Michele and SassyAshley like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I think we really need to differentiate between
    Boarding Pass (payment to the conductor) and stamps for postage
    Makes more sense when you say it that way

I like the boarding pass to be a mix of different options alot of conductors have already started doing this.

I have been doing more one on one trades that way everyone is in agreement before any money is spend on sending.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    493 (100%)

I just sent home a train, most envies cost me $2.60 to send, that was WITH my discounted rate using a postage meter. I don't see why a 3P BP is unreasonable, or I guess like above 2P and something for the conductor.

I also agree the point of a BP is getting lost, it's always been a 'given' in the past that with a 4P BP, the conductor used 3 stamps to send home and keeps the other stamps for her time and effort spent on the train.
    Why do you think that now the conductors are 'making' money off the trains? There has to be some perk to hosting.

I think samples should stop, you never know how many are going to send a sample to the same person and the conductor has to send using a small package rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I don't disagree that they can't "make" something for their time, but when it is advertised as "stamps for postage" and they pocket the extra stamp on top of the BP coupons - people have an issue so I think we should be more clear on which is which
    ~ ~ ~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

I don't disagree that they can't "make" something for their time, but when it is advertised as "stamps for postage" and they pocket the extra stamp on top of the BP coupons - people have an issue so I think we should be more clear on which is which
    That is what I meant. I generally don't like a BP on traditional trains, although I have ridden on them, as it feels more like you're paying to ride the train. I get that it takes time to put a train together, and host, but if in return your ride another person's train without a BP, then it would even out, if that makes sense.

But we can choose to ride or not to, right now, I'm choosing to do a few one on one trades, as you know what is expected before anything changes hands.

Trading Score
    539 (100%)

I assumed the boarding pass was the conductors - If they asked for 4 p stamps and used all .10 stamps to get my envie home - it was there choice. Once I sent a BP - It belongs to the conductor.

I know on a few of my trains - I asked for $1.29 for return postage & a P stamp(for me). I have also asked for a 4 P stamps and stated "if you don't like the boarding pass - please don't ride". <- maybe that makes me cranky - but it was straight-forward.

And, I know this might not be the popular opinion - but the conductors who host often - deserve those boarding passes. Your envie arrives home and its PERFECT!

As for the rating system - I wouldn't leave a neutral or negative for a rider that messed up one bundle - I will correct it. IF they have many bundle errors- I would consider asking for a replacements. As a seasoned conductor - you know your normal riders and you cant forget that they have sent 10 perfect trains in the past - so on the 11th train - with one error in one bundle - does that REALLY deserve a neutral or negative?! My opinion.....it does not.

I'm not saying conductors should cover insane amount of errors - or cover for a rider that makes mistakes OVER & OVER - I'm saying we have to use common sense.

I think samples should be allowed IF the conductor chooses to accept the fact that they might pay more to send an envie home to a rider.

Would it make sense to include this in train postings:

To have your envie returned home to you - you need to include: $1.70 in postage.

The boarding pass for this train is: 1x .85 stamp OR stickers OR FPC OR a candy cane OR a laundry sample

That way - your $1.70 is slapped right on your return envie and you can choose from a choice of boarding passes for the conductor.

Clear as mud?

Trading Score
    493 (100%)

Yup!
    I know in early days we all would put a disclaimer of '3 p stamps to send your envie home and 1 p stamp for the conductor' but over time that disappeared and it was just assumed I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluzsuz; Sun, Apr 13th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information