User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Crappy produce rant

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you're right and most stores won't reimburse you unless you discover at least say half of a bag of apples is bruised or rotten. It really adds up after awhile. I have started to buy produce at smaller independent stores or ones that carry local produce but this isn't always possible. There is a No Frills which is a bit of drive from me that has a very good produce dept, much better than one that is closer to me....maybe it depends somewhat on the produce mgr? great tips from everyone especially re; bananas, hadnt heard that one.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've noticed that some stores are freezing their produce overnight and putting it out in the morning to keep it looking fresh. I bought some granny smith apples from No Frills for a pie last weekend and I was quite surprised to find them completely brown in the center by the core. Even considered taking them back. Bought peaches from Freshco on Sunday and overnight they turned brown and bruised. The farmers markets seem to have better produce in my area but the prices are insane.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i have had issues at metro & no frills.....corn that is rotten or dried up & same with strawberries. i like to have fresh fruit in the kitchen but it seems to go bad very quickly....maybe i should buy those green bags?

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I find it to be hit and miss, like others at times we go in a list and walk out with little as it is not very good. Lettuce has been hard to find this year and we have gone weeks without this week I found some at No Frills of all places that was great looking.

Only really issue I had was bought peaches at RCSS a couple weeks ago, bought them Saturday, when I went to cut them up Monday they were all bruised and moldy very disappointed. On the flip side the basket I got from No Frills this week seem to be fine.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I bought some raspberries from Food Basics on Saturday. Just took them out of the fridge. Mould

four days. And it happens at home and the work fridge so it's the produce that's the problem
    Lyssia510 likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I find it to be hit and miss, like others at times we go in a list and walk out with little as it is not very good. Lettuce has been hard to find this year and we have gone weeks without this week I found some at No Frills of all places that was great looking.

Only really issue I had was bought peaches at RCSS a couple weeks ago, bought them Saturday, when I went to cut them up Monday they were all bruised and moldy very disappointed. On the flip side the basket I got from No Frills this week seem to be fine.
    RCSS Aurora and Newmarket generally have good produce, especially lettuce (did you see my brag?) if you're ever over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I bought some raspberries from Food Basics on Saturday. Just took them out of the fridge. Mould

four days. And it happens at home and the work fridge so it's the produce that's the problem
    Raspberries generally don't last long anyways no matter what condition they are in atleast thats my experience plus I read that on the driscolls website.
    torontogal12 and SassyAshley like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post

Raspberries have about a two to three day life at best. Even those from farmer's market. Other berries last longer.

On tip for keeping strawberries longer - place them in a air tight container. I started doing this last year, and have been amazed at how it prolongs their life.

For lettuce or other leafy greens, add paper towel to the bag, between the lettuce and the bag. Also, if there are any elastics on the bunch, remove them (for any veggies, including green onions).

I also tend to eat my most perishable produce first - so green tops (like beet greens, carrot greens) on first day, lettuce and raspberries within a few days, cucmbers, swiss chard, then kale, then broccoli and califlower, and finish with the longer lasting items, like root veggies (beets, carrots) and squash.

A couple of years ago, I was finding my milk and meat and some of my veggies going bad quickly. At first I thought it was problems with how things were kept at the store. No, it turned out to be my fridge. There was a section that wasn't being cooled properly. We replaced fridge and haven't had a problem since then.
    Last edited by super807; Wed, Aug 13th, 2014 at 02:54 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Watch where you place items in the fridge too. Tomatoes, apples, peaches,bananas and avocados produce ethylene gas. It is what makes then ripen. They can make other food around them go bad faster.....never store tomatoes and lettuce in the same crisper drawer ect.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I do wash details veggies and lettuce romaine lettuce for 1, I was it, wrap it shake off excess water, then wrap it loosely in a paper towel, then into a plastic veggie bag Not only lyrics does it keep for a few weeks, but it's nice and crispy.....I hate limp lettuce, LOL

I never wash berries of any type, but do use, and reuse the produce bags I find they work great I also stand my asparagus in a glass of water. It will keep for 5 or 6 days that way I'm sorry you're having issues with produce, nothing worse than rotten food.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I went to freshco today to get the 1.44 berries(had to throw out the rest of my strawberries last night due to them going bad after less than 2 days and my toddler had an hour long melt down because we didn't have any). Every single container of strawberries were either mouldy or dark and soggy. I asked the girl stocking produce if they had any more that weren't mouldy or close to rotten in the back and she rolled her eyes and said all the berries were fine. One of the managers overheard this, looked at the berries that were out, brought over a mouldy container and asked her if she would eat them and if she thought they were fine. Then he told me he'd look in the back and find me some good ones, he comes back with 2 and apologizes about the berries that were out.
    I'm finishing my shopping and I see the manager at the back with the girl that was stocking produce and he's laying into her about how its completely unacceptable to be setting out containers of mouldy fruit and he'd rather have the store take a loss on them than have customers come in and see bad produce and go somewhere else to shop.
    Just happy to have some nice looking berries for the kiddos!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    I'm finishing my shopping and I see the manager at the back with the girl that was stocking produce and he's laying into her about how its completely unacceptable to be setting out containers of mouldy fruit and he'd rather have the store take a loss on them than have customers come in and see bad produce and go somewhere else to shop.
    Just happy to have some nice looking berries for the kiddos!
    Sounds like the manager cares about what is out on his shelves. Now that he is aware of the problem, perhaps you will start seeing better quality produce there.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes ! Especially this summer. No good quality fruit or veggies out there. I don't know what's going on. Perhaps a bad winter, cooler spring, and rainy summer season ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information