User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: QOTD: Mon Aug 18: We can dream...

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Clearly the odds are against us all...
    ...You'd have a better chance of perishing in an attack while traveling (650,000) or from a flesh eating disease (1:1,000,000), or maybe being struck by lightning (1:56,4390)...
    But if you did hit it big, what would be the FIRST thing you'd splurge your winnings on?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    DANGER

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hmmm...there's a lot that I would want to do. Perhaps putting some funds towards my grandchildren's education and help out with my children's needs, otherwise donate to my favorite organizations. I would only keep what I need for the rest of my retirement years.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Pay off our DD's mortgage....do some travelling, donate not just to a charity but to somewhere that it would make an immediate difference in people's lives, like building a school, providing fresh well water for a community....then stick the majority of it in the bank.

They say there are two types of people when it comes to money: those who like money for the things
    it can buy, and those who like it just to have it in the bank. I'm more of the later than the former, although
    I do enjoy shopping....but seeing it build up in a bank....there's nothing like it, even when it was my
    own piddly account when I was a young'un working at my first job...there's a definite sense of security, it
    being there...I guess it's carried over to today...so yes, most of it will be in a bank.
    Andit, Crochetlady, ninna and 4 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

A lawyer
    Andit, TaraF, Crochetlady and 10 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Buy a house, nothing grand.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Lynn49 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

My first big splurge would be to buy a cottage on a quiet lake (after paying off our current debt/mortgage of course). That's our someday dream -to have our own cottage that we can bring our kids (and some day grand-kids) to.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

If we ever won the big one, I'd start with investing/saving a large chunk so that we could live off it. We would probably purchased a slightly larger and newer home, maybe a small acreage, and give our parents/siblings the cash to pay off their mortgages as well. I think we would also consider DH starting his own business, or buying an existing one.

Then I'd love to travel, and take family/friends along with us as much as possible. One of the things on my bucket list is an African safari, which costs a pretty penny. I'd also set up an account for each of my nieces and nephews (and future kids), so that they could attend any university or college they wanted and not have to worry about the costs. I know we would definitely donate to a few organizations as well, probably some animal related as animal welfare is near and dear to us. DH's home town humane society would get a new building as they have spent the last couple years dealing with black mold problems in the walls.
    Last edited by beckie.c; Mon, Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling... ugh Monday morning
    Andit, Crochetlady, Lynn49 and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My first splurge would be to buy property and a home in Nova Scotia.

The first thing I would do, though, is load up my parents' bank account. Then invest a large portion.

After that, I'd have a massage every week, start an heirloom seed library and maybe a time bank in my area (no need to solicit public donations!), maybe buy my first car, and give to my favourite charities.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Depends on how much $ is involved.

What I would love is to have a pony. Well, a full-grown horse. And, of course, the $ to keep him/her in a local stable close by (and of course, people to clean up after the big baby).

If it were a huge sum of money, there is a tiny piece of land near me that I would love to buy. I would build a 4ish storey building. The first level would be open and covered in grass, and would be a private dog park for the pups with social issues (scared of other dogs, people, etc) so that they`d have a place to exercise. The second and third levels (accessible from a nice glass elevator on the side of the building) would be a 1000 seat theatre (despite Toronto having something like 156 theatres, there are not enough of a certain size) and I know folks happy to run it. The 4th floor would have a nice little restaurant that served good meals at decent prices as well as a couple of nice little studio apts, for any visiting actors. The rooftop would have a patio (with the potential to be protected from the elements), where theatre goers and diners could enjoy themselves.

With the price of real estate around here, it`s just a pipe dream.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Depends on how much $ is involved.

What I would love is to have a pony. Well, a full-grown horse. And, of course, the $ to keep him/her in a local stable close by (and of course, people to clean up after the big baby).
    Andit, Crochetlady, ninna and 4 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

My first big splurge would be a family reunion for my DH's family in Disneyworld. That would be a splurge considering dh has 4 brothers and 4 sisters, each is married with children, and some of those children are married with children of their own. But the week or 2 at Disney with dh's entire family would be my big splurge (If I won a ton of money through Lotto Max).
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pay off all debts, tell my creditors what I think of them and put money away for my children's education/future.- and maybe throw a little car in there, lol.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TooCouponCrazy View Post
    Pay off all debts, tell my creditors what I think of them and put money away for my children's education/future.- and maybe throw a little car in there, lol.
    we'd do something similar:
    1/3 charities
    1/3 save for every day stuff
    1/3 invest for the future

And any interest earned -- splurge

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

The first thing on my list is to get my kids full time ABA and IBI for their autism therapy. Then, hire a full time housekeeper.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Lynn49 and 4 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Well,I know it's morally wrong,but the first thing I'd do is buy my son a kidney.We found out what was wrong with him,and my brother,who has been sick since childhood,the hard way-via emergency kidney biopsy in 2012 when his kidneys suddenly failed.We have a very rare genetically inherited metabolic disorder called Fabry disease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information