• 1 Post By addy25
  • 1 Post By bmaven
  • 1 Post By Lynn49
  • 2 Post By anisa

Thread: Birthday cakes for kids

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Where do you get your birthday cakes from for your kids parties, does it have a design on it or is it just the plain cake with their names on it. Are there any cheap places that do nice designs?

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I always made my son's birthday cakes. I'm no pro, but I'd find something to decorate or shape it like something he was into that particular year - like for when he was young. Later, I'd just make whatever his fave cake was at that time.

As for bought cakes, depends what stores in your city are like. I know here, Safeway makes yummy cakes - when I need a sheet cake or a two layer that's where I'd go - here they make a great black forest, lemon, german chocolate...
    I've also had Costco cakes, they are good.
    ninna, lll111 and addy25 like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I make home made ones when I can and the design is by request of the birthday girl.

I've made rainbows and kitty cats, rabbits and puppies.

If you're not crafty or don't have a lot of time, Costco is always a good choice. They have tasty selections and they always look visually appealing as well. Their carrot cake, for example (although monstrously large) has carrots made of icing on each piece.
    lll111 and addy25 like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ooh.. I forgot to add....Dairy Queen does make lovely ice cream cakes as well. They aren't cheap (compared to regular cake cakes) but most kids don't turn down an ice cream cake whereas with regular cakes, I find it hit or miss if kids will eat them or not.

Here's something to consider before deciding: do any of the party goers have food allergies (wheat, dairy, nuts etc)? If so, that might change the decision you make as to the kind of cake you choose.
    lll111 and addy25 like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

cookie muncher
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually make my own but if it's a huge party I'd go for DQ. They have lots of selection like blizzard cake and you can also order online.
    lll111 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Depending on what province you are I have heard thrifty foods does free (or close to free) kids birthday cakes. You could look into it
    Dq cakes are good and if you join their blizzard club you'll get a coupon

I also noticed a marble slab creamery groupon - I think they have cakes, not sure it the groupon applies.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lll111 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

100 easy birthday cakes for kids....use a cake mix if you don't want to make one from scratch, no one's judging...buy pre-made frosting, no name is fine, buy one or two disposable plastic icing bags from the Bulk Barn for pennies, one box of 4 little food colourings, one icing tip...the one that looks like a cut-up flower, and you have everything to start you on your cake making adventure.
    Your only costs from then on would be your cake supplies and any other tips you want.

Here's a great site, and yes, home-made cakes are FAR cheaper than pre made ones and look just as good even if you bake a slab cake (11x13 pan) and throw pre made frosting and sprinkles on it!

http://www.ivillage.ca/food/recipes/...day-cake-ideas
    lll111 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I have made cakes at home a couple of times and used little toys from dollarama to decorate. Character miniatures of cartoons or games my kids were really into.
    Once I made a cupcake 'cake' in the shape of a blue's clues paw print, but that is pretty outdated now.
    Lynn49 and lll111 like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Thread Information