User Tag List

Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree5611Likes

Thread: Thankful for Savings - October 2014 Frugal chatter thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Anyone feel like posting the Question of the Day or Inquiring Minds Want to know.....don't be shy....
    Ciel likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Could anyone tell me where I can find printable Huggies diaper coupons? My Sobeys location has various jumbo sized packages of huggies products on clearance for $6.99 today when I was in the store. Thanks for any help. I had 4x $4 off coupons that I used on packages, plus will submit receipt to Snap app for more money back. Just hoping to get more coupons and go back to the store for more, especially since we are planning a new LO next yr.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    My girls (4 and 8) currently get an allowance equal to their age per week. They tithe 5% to our church and the other 95% they can save for a monthly "shopping day".

Basic chores are:

- cleaning up their dishes after their meal
    - cleaning the table off after dinner (8 year old)
    - cleaning up playroom and their bedrooms
    - putting their laundry in their laundry basket
    - putting away laundry once washed and folded (8 year old)

DH and I have been discussing this and our 8 year old should clearly have more "chores" then her 4 year old sister to justify getting a higher allowance. I am planning on developing a chore chart for her. So if anyone else has any more ideas of chores that an 8 year old could do that would be helpful

We have a cash envelope system for our "spending money". We have $500 per month and it's broken down as follows:

$48 Kids Allowances
    $172 Entertainment
    $80 Church Tithings
    $60 Gifts
    $40 Hardware Store purchases
    $100 Clothing

I think we need more categories because as our "entertainment" budget tends to be more of an emergency fund or get used for other things we just did not budget for such as school trips or gardening supplies.
    Glad to see that I am not the only one here who tithes. My children have three envelopes, spending, saving and giving(tithes).

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Could anyone tell me where I can find printable Huggies diaper coupons? My Sobeys location has various jumbo sized packages of huggies products on clearance for $6.99 today when I was in the store. Thanks for any help. I had 4x $4 off coupons that I used on packages, plus will submit receipt to Snap app for more money back. Just hoping to get more coupons and go back to the store for more, especially since we are planning a new LO next yr.
    There's a $2 off Huggies Little Movers diapers here:
    http://www.huggies.com/en-CA/promotions/coupons

With every incoming amount (our tax refund) there seems to be an outgoing. DH's workplace has sales meetings all this week. Guess who gets to buy everyone in the office lunch all week. Lucky me. We haven't been reimbursed for expenses going back to March and likely beyond.

New winter tires will also take a nice bite out of the refund as well, and the new doors and windows will more than eat up the rest. It was nice while it lasted.

On the brighter side of things, we have a free toddler car seat. My friend boarded an Air Canada flight where they lost her luggage, including her car seat. They replaced it with a WM sale special, but found her fancy one the next day. So, we inherit a free car seat!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

i'll pose a QOTD(i don't wanna step on toes, mean no offense/harm)
    When do you start decorating for Christmas.
    back story for my question. I know stores are already stocking xmas items, usually Nov. 1 right after Halloween it hits us all full in the face.. BAM.\
    for some ppl halloween is their fav. 'holiday' to celebrate (even though its not a holiday)others like ME. LUV Christmas. i was brought up with the 'magic' of it all around me, matured into the 'true meaning' of it as well. so i know the meaning behind it all.
    what i don't get is, y it only has to be like 2-3 weeks long in celebrating/decorating.
    we plant our gardens in May and enjoy them through October.. so why not get to start early with xmas. enjoy the colors/sounds/smells etc for a longer time.
    anyway i love the way my home looks decorated with all the colors.. even have decorated over the last year to encourage the colors to blend in.
    as most of you know. last year was not 'my year' to get into christmas. didn't even get my tree up until like 2 weeks before. barely had time for that. i truly missed out on what i love to do.(year before that all my stuff was barricaded behind the stairs behind dh's tool 'chest' so i didn't even my tree up.
    i told dh this year im going all out. even invited family over. haven't done that in years. he's promised to take time off in order to help me out.\
    don't get me wrong. I 100% honor Remembrance day, without a doubt. I wear a poppy for nearly a month . NOTHING will prevent me from honoring that day .. EVER.
    so am i crazy for wanting to start early. it takes me nearly a week to sort everything out. lol. i had to laugh as a neighbor of mine told me she's putting up her tree October 31. while the kids are trick or treating. LOL kinda believe her.
    many of my neighbors aren't far behind.
    (although im not sure she'll be doing it this year, long story there)
    so yep. there it is. QOTD.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I plan on decorating the last weekend of November and go get the real tree the 1st weekend of December

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Has it been enough time to post a different QOTD? If not, you can answer tomorrow. I just always seem to forget my question when it's time to post.

QOTD: How do you know how much to budget for your rainy day/oops/emergency fund? Is it a percentage? A fixed amount?

To answer MrsSunshine, I will decorate for Christmas after I buy some Christmas decorations. We still haven't bought any for the house yet, but we do seem to visit a lot of people. Now that LO's around, I expect there will be a lot more excitement at Christmas time.

Mrs. Sunshine, I don't think Christmas decorating before Rememberance day is disrespectful. I think the soldiers fought for our freedom, which includes being able to celebrate Christmas and decorate whenever we'd like. We are honouring them by decorating and enjoying that freedom, just as much as we do when we attend memorial service, wearing poppies, or observing a moment of silence on the 11th. Decorate with abandon!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My husband put the outside Xmas lights up last weekend and Rudoph was staked down in the front yard before the snow flies-not that they are on yet but ready before it is too cold/snowy to put them up. Our friend chuckled yesterday when she game by to pick up her 4 year old twins-she said where is the pumpkin? We just laughed too and said that would be carved and go out closer to Halloween( so it doesn't freeze and turn to mush overnight beforehand). I think we just decorate according to our schedule, the weather and how much DD wants to put up. Xmas tree goes up the first weekend in Dec usually in our house.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Time to answer but it may take me all day, as I am trying to go with no internet but yet not working this week so I am really trying to limit as I find myself getting distracted really really really easy these days (not good) I need to focus and stay on task.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Ashley, I think I would suggest just letting your Mum wash her own sheets when she feels the need. I would definitely want help with the housework unless my Mum was disabled( which she was for a time this summer after her fall) so I did wait on her hand and foot for a few weeks and now she is again able to still do for herself at 82. Anyway just my opinion-it sounds to me like you are really pushing yourself at work and at home and yet still perhaps not being fully appreciated. Time for you to slow down a bit and have some me time-and if your Mum gets cranky she can take out her frustrations on the dishes or bathroom! Boy I sound really tough don't I- Certainly if a person is elderly or disabled I get that they need help but it sounds like your Mum is able to do more at home? Take care. L
    My mom no longer does laundry as our washer and dryer are in the basement and she cannot handle stairs well. Just our luck right after we move out of bungalow she develops health issues which makes stairs extremely hard on her. So she tries to avoid going downstairs whenever possible as those stairs seem to be worse than ones going upstairs. So I do not mind doing laundry even her bedding, but I do not need to be snapped at well doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Well I didn`t get to Zehrs. She said come early...we always play aggravation and today we got thoroughly trounced. The guys always win more than we do but today if you looked up pathetic in the dictionary you would have seen our pictures. lol

@ Nancy Congrats on selling your trailer.

@ Ashley Hang in there. I never had my mother live with me, thank goodness. I know it wouldn`t have worked, our lifestyles were way too different. I agree with Lizzie...let her do her own thing and demand some help with the everyday chores. You can`t do everything...you are only one person and deserve to have some time for yourself.
    Up until recently we have been pretty lucky that living together has worked but I think I am starting to see our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I've met people through all sorts of different avenues. The friends I was supposed to have lunch with yesterday, I met them on a local forum discussing dogs (joined it 10ish years ago when I first got Lily dog) and one person suggested meeting at a restaurant to put a face to a name. Next thing you know, 10 yrs pass by and a core group of us are getting together regularly to chat about religion, politics, health, tv, everything under the sun. Oh & dogs.

Another group of friends I get together with weekly, I met them when one gal held a free workshop in my building on making jewelry. Every Monday we get together to make pretty baubles, talk about all sorts of things, and eat. How else can we keep our strength up if we're not snacking?

I've met friends through classes I've taken, volunteering, places I've worked, the brats I live with (there are very few people who don't walk up to an oddball with a cat on a leash), the internet. Lots of places to meet folks. Oh & I'm not much of an extrovert, I'm fairly shy (less so as I get older).

Do you have any clubs? Night school courses (not necessarily term classes, but lectures as well)? How about a Sunday afternoon cooking class (my local Loblaws offers these)? Somewhere you can volunteer? Some places don't need long term commitment, a day or 2 a month works for them. Or doing something online, then a party at the end of the year to meet other volunteers. What about your neighbours? Any of them friendly? And age isn't a factor - I have friends who range from 20 to 77 (I'm 46).

And these are also places to potentially meet a significant other. I know one couple who met through a gardening club in their neighbourhood. Another friend met her bf while walking her dog (she actually met his mother, struck up a friendship and when her son came over for a visit, bingo). Another friend met her DH while shopping for books - she was a regular in the store, the owner was on the phone with his son, and when she went to pay, he handed her the phone and said "I won't let you buy this book unless you go out with my son" (they've been married nearly 20 yrs). One classmate of mine went to a club, a boy spilled a drink on her, 27 yrs later they're still happily married. A gal I know took in a boarder to help pay her mortgage - a year later I got an invite to the wedding. I met one bf through work (not the best idea), another through volunteering (he was the volunteer co-ordinator). In other words, lots of places to meet someone special.
    I think my mom's issue is that I do not leave the house. I am very much like my Dad and a home body and I have learned when it comes to finding members of the opposite sex I tend to lean towards home bodies as well. I love a man who can spent a Friday night in and does not need to be out and about. For me I think it is a mix of my shyness and never leaving the house. I have tried online but I am currently on a break waiting to see what happens with my friend that is in the coma.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    That's terrific! We also need to replace some of our doors and windows. Our neighbour talked us out of it because he made us second guess whether we were getting them done because we wanted new ones or if we could just add a little insulation. Yesterday, condensation was running down the one window like a stream, and our one side door does not fit the frame, letting in a lot of cold air. Still, we're hesitant because getting them fixed would cost several thousands. Maybe we'll get it fixed as our anniversary/Christmas gift...it's just so expensive.

Ashley, you know if you were physically close to any of us, we'd all hang out with you. You're a great person, sound like a lot of fun, and we all have wanting to be frugal in common. I'm waiting to hear you tell us a While You Were Sleeping sort of story, working out either one way or the other. I'm such a sucker for romantic comedies. We're rooting for you to be happy. If things didn't happen with your friend before, you probably weren't ready. Try not to overthink things, which is so easy when you're alone. Things have a way of working themselves out, just not at the exact time we expect.
    I must admit I am really hoping for the romantic outcome as well. As of right now all I know is they were going to keep him in the Coma until October (when I October I do not know, his Mom did not know last time we spoke) and wake him up and re asses him. I have been sending messages but have not had any replies back in a month so I am hoping for the best. Deep down kind of hoping the next message is from him saying I am wake (and hopefully we remembers me as last time he woke up he did not).

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    I completely get ya on that one Nancy. my kids were the same.. the last time they went together with my parents. that was it.
    well heard back from a recent job app. waiting to hear back when they want to see me. part of me doesn't want to screw this up as we need the money.
    the other half says forget this year. dh is on holidays soon. (although i know if i worked he'd be having a hey day on his holidays and have the house ready by himself, dinner would b ready everyday).. im so tempted.
    just not sure. its only seasonal. what to do?
    MrsS, I know I am a little late here but is the company seasonal or just the job. I say if it is just the job go for it, I know so many people who have been hired on as seasonal and after the season was over have been asked to stay so you really never know. Sometimes company just use this as their out they need seasonal work they can hire them as seasonal and than if things work out they approach them about staying on but if things don't they can fall back on you were hired as seasonal and the season is over, some companies think this is a nicer approach than the 3 month probation. I have seen companies do this as well not tell a person they are being hired on as seasonal and than fall back on the 3 month probation (hire in October can terminate in January) but it tends to leave a bad taste in people's mouths when this happens and word gets out.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!!

Do you have a debt repayment plan or course of action? Is it paycheque based, monthly based or do you pay the minimum or whatever you can afford, or do you put whatever is left at the end of the month on your debt?

And if you are debt free (lucky duckies) whatever your interpretation is of being debt free it could include being mortgage free or not counting your mortgage, not having a car payment, student loans are paid off, have you redirected or funneled the debt repayment amount into another debt repayment, rainy day fund, retirement savings, education fund, home renovations, travel, emergency fund, etc......sky is the limit!!!!

Do you have any advice for debt repayment for your fellow frugal friends besides not incurring debt
    Currently I am quite lucky the only debt I have is our mortgage. All bills get paid off pretty much as soon as they come in. I get paid every two weeks so every two weeks I go and check all accounts and anything with a balance gets paid, this includes my credit cards.

I also keep an extremely large emergency fund. My thought is if something goes I need the money to replace it whether it be a fridge, dryer, stove if it goes I have money to buy a new one so this is what I base my emergency fund on.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I hear you FBM-when you have kids at home you are always shelling out whether it be school or sport fees or a special outfit for the band concerts, award or grad ceremony, gifts for friend's birthday parties etc. Oh and my daugher suddenly announced last night she needed a $150 calculator for her grade 10 math course. Fortunately we have enough in our monthly budget and savings to cover such expenses but I did say to my DH how do low income parents pay for school fees etc especially if they have multiple children? I think our high school has a fee waiver in place if you can't afford the school supply fees etc but it has a very low cutoff rate of something like $29,000 for a couple with one child so is definitely geared to very low as opposed to moderate income famillies.

So far in 7 weeks of high school we have paid

$262 instructional resource fee-mandatory
    $250 band supply fee( compulsory if your child is in band)
    $260 band camp( this one was optional)
    $41 per month for a subsidized bus pass as the high school is too far away to walk
    $70 for gym( $10 for a mandatory gym t-shirt) and $60 for optional off site gym activities like rock climbing etc
    $60 the other day for dress pants and dress shoes for the band concerts( the shirt, tie and vest are loaned by the school and must be dry cleaned at the end of the year and returned or you will be charged $100.

This is all in a public high school-not private. I know elementary parents have to pay for bus transportation and noon hour supervision unless they live close to a school that has room for their child-although I think rural kids get this for free.

Anyway just saying I don't know how low to mid income families do it with multiple children-or maybe Calgary is more costly than other places. This does not include any extra curricular sports, requests to buy chocolates etc to raise money for the band, purchase school pics or school insurance etc. Parents, at least here, are certainly inundated with requests to spend.

Granted we used to pay private school fees for elemenatry school so our school fees have dropped significantly this year- but I guess the days of a free public education are long gone-at least around here and perhaps in your neck of the woods too.
    Public High School is not cheap, I remember I believe it was my grade 10 year my mom was away the first week of school so I was with my grandparents who ended yup giving me over $200 for fees for nothing special (I was not a joiner so anything I did was not an extra) and all were needed ASAP without notice. Which if my mom had of been home probably would not have been able to give me because as a single mother she did regularly live paycheck to paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!

**** You don't have to answer the questions if you don't want to - absolutely no pressure to participate.

What are your thoughts on spending $ or as some others call it an allowance for adults & kids.

If your kids get an allowance, do they do chores or something to earn it? And what types of things are they expected to spend their allowances on?

Do you budget for it? if there is the $ to budget with?

Perhaps in the past you got spending $ but at this moment you cannot and that's okay.

In your budget is it a fixed expense/need in your budget and that's okay too? or do you have in another catergory as budgets are all personalized to each individual.
    AS a kid I never got an allowance but we were given treats for helping, when we went out we would get to pick something out within reason. As for spending money this is where I was different from others, since out family owned a company even before we were old enough to work here we would come in on weekends after we closed and do things like stock shelves and various other tasks and were paid for this, we made either a $1 or $2 an hour but that was our spending money.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

When do you start decorating for Christmas?

I am not much of a Christmas or decorating person so the Christmas tree will go up maybe 2 weeks before Christmas lol.

QOTD: How do you know how much to budget for your rainy day/oops/emergency fund? Is it a percentage? A fixed amount?

I know I need an emergency fund but don't currently have one per say. We used to just save DH's bonus every year as our emergency fund but he won't be getting one this year (on LTD) and last year's is already spent. It's making me very nervous that we don't have one and our LOC is maxed. We have a car fund with $500 saved but will need this to buy winter tires.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Questions of the day:

Christmas: We have not decorated in years, last year because we spent Christmas on a Cruise and previous years because well I am living in an episode of hoarders. Mom seems to be into decorating this so we will see what happens. This may all change as Christmas was Nanny's favourite holiday (not the present part so much but the decorating part) and I think Mom is still having a hard time facing it without her so we will see as we get closer.

Budget for rainy day/opps/emergency:
    My find is pretty high as I have mentioned before I am a worrier so I am always thinking about what bad can happen. With that being said I like to have enough that if our fridge, washer, dryer or stove went I could purchase a new one. My issue no is when do I consider my emergency fund a good size and stop putting money in there and instead invest it. As I said I am a worrier so I am always worried I am going to invest the money and something will happen so instead I tend to let it all sit in my emergency fund.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Has it been enough time to post a different QOTD? If not, you can answer tomorrow. I just always seem to forget my question when it's time to post.

To answer MrsSunshine, I will decorate for Christmas after I buy some Christmas decorations. We still haven't bought any for the house yet, but we do seem to visit a lot of people. Now that LO's around, I expect there will be a lot more excitement at Christmas time.

Mrs. Sunshine, I don't think Christmas decorating before Rememberance day is disrespectful. I think the soldiers fought for our freedom, which includes being able to celebrate Christmas and decorate whenever we'd like. We are honouring them by decorating and enjoying that freedom, just as much as we do when we attend memorial service, wearing poppies, or observing a moment of silence on the 11th. Decorate with abandon!
    We took out a LOC (no mortgage) when we purchased this home. There is plenty of room in that LOC if an emergency should arise. Otherwise, I throw every last extra penny to that LOC because, in my view, keeping money in savings for an emergency isn't realistic given the super low interest rates on those savings. I would rather pay off that LOC as quickly as possible and, if an emergency should arise, we could always draw from there again. The plan is to have the LOC totally wiped out within two years - can't wait!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I did the same as Mom of 5 Boys when I had a mortgage-once I had paid into my RRSP and RESP any extra went against the mortgage to pay it down quickly rather than keeping it in an emergency fund. If a small emergency arose I would put it on my credit card as long as I could pay it the next month when the bill came. In the case of a dire emergency( such as job loss) I reasoned I had my RRSP to fall back on as an emergency savings pot. I know this goes against conventional wisdom and I know most people feel more comfortable having an emergency fund but it worked for me. Once the mortgage was paid then I started on extra savings including the new TFSA, additional retirement savings etc. I think each person has to select the mortgage/debt repayment and savings method they are comfortable with and works within their budget and personal circumstances.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Fri, Oct 24th, 2014 at 02:10 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF- I am like SA and feel the need to have lots of money saved. I don't have any debt so this works for me.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

ohh budgeting for a rainy day.. um, considering it nearly never rains here.. we always get tornadoes i swear.. it almost always goes on a CC.
    like i said earlier dh just works his cutie patootie off to take care of it.

thanks all for your advice on christmas.. and the job. im going to keep looking. maybe i should just relax and enjoy the rest of the year, as last year their wasn't much enjoyment.
    maybe next year will open new doors for us. (secretly hoping we win the big one between now and then ..)
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information