User Tag List

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree661Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Will Target leave Canada in 2015? Yes.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The article is from 2009. Almost 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by endi2000 View Post
    This was in the Star today

Sears Canada slashes 300 jobs

Sears Canada Inc. has laid off 300 workers, half of them in its Toronto headquarters, amid worsening business conditions for retailers.

• Share on Facebook

By: Dana Flavelle Business reporter, Published on Fri Feb 20 2009
    Sears Canada Inc. has laid off 300 workers, half of them in its Toronto headquarters, amid worsening business conditions for retailers.
    "We're preparing for what looks a difficult year in the current economy," company spokesperson Vince Power said in a telephone interview as he confirmed the unannounced job cuts.
    Half the layoffs occurred at the company's head office across a variety of departments, Power said. The rest were in its repair services across the country.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I think you have been lucky with Walmart.
    At one Walmart, a cashier tried to cheat me with change at Christmas.$10. She did not think that I would call the customer service manager and demand for the till to be balanced -- they would have seen an excess $10.
    At another Walmart, they were out of advertised specials. One hour after store opening. And no rain checks there, at that time.
    At another Walmart, items were thrown around the shelves and employees working in that area did not try to reorganize. For a week.
    A few Walmarts tried to sell dead flowers. Full price.
    A few Walmarts, have not enough staff to ask a question. And the staff you ask show poor customer service, talk to you badly, and make it seem they are doing you a favour. Some rush by you so you have to chase them to ask about a product.

Having Target here made Walmart change the way they treated customers for a while. I got a "Hello", customer service improved for a short time, recently I got a SCOP without asking... I think the Walmart stores will go back to their old poor ways as soon as Target is gone.
    Wow. I have never experienced any of that (and I am so very sorry you had to go through that ). Boy, have I ever been lucky. I've only been to 2 stores that were bad - both were dingy/dirty with cranky employees - one was a Zellers (now a bright clean Walmart with friendly employees), the other a NF in a so-so neighbourhood (staff couldn't keep up with the messy clientele and I think just gave up trying to clean/organize the store). Had an encounter before Xmas with a cranky CSM at my local NF, but I think she was just confused and overwhelmed with the PCPlus rollout (she's always been pleasant in the past). Only other bad employee I've dealt with involved a few "there there little girl, don't try to think" comments from a twit at Future Shop. Maybe if I went to Walmart more often I'd have worse experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    Either you have been lucky or I have been very un-lucky. lol

We have 1 Wal-Mart for our city (over 130,000 people - which doesn't include the surrounding areas).

It's a very dated store, always dirty and cluttered/dis-organized.

Before Target opened I shopped there regularly and DREADED it every time. I'd try to plan shops for times & days that it *should* be relatively quiet. I was ALWAYS hassled when using coupons. So much so that I stopped couponing for a while because it wasn't worth the stress. More often than not they would be out of what I went in for so I was forced to buy a similar item, usually for much more. The staff were NEVER helpful, in fact I dreaded having to interact with ANY of them. Even just checking out (without Price Matching or using coupons) seemed to be as if I was imposing on them. I won't even get started on the customers....

I have been in maybe 3 times since Target opened and each time I remember why I shop at Target! Just awful each time. Before Christmas I did a trade and the user asked for a $10 WM GC. I had DH go get it because I couldn't bear to. It took him 25 minutes in line just to get a GIFT CARD. Both the cashier and the customer behind him were extremely rude to him. He was grumbling and annoyed by the time he got home (and he's usually one of the happiest, friendliest people you'd meet).

Honestly I think it depends on your area and its store/staff/demographics, etc. I shop at WM in the US fairly often and never a problem. My local store is a nightmare. I wont return to shopping there when Target closes. I just cant bring myself to go back to that.
    Wow. As I mentioned above, I have never experienced any of that (and I am so very sorry you had to go through that ).

The longest I've ever spent in line was 15 minutes and that was at the busy store at the big mall on Boxing Day.

As for other customers, I've rarely encountered any troublemakers. Well, there was one in Sobeys who ate half the contents of a jar of peanuts then demanded a discount for buying opened merchandise. And there are the usual seniors at the local NF who are on you like a pack of rabid beasts if you happen to be holding a pink stickered item they want (I've learned to make eye contact and not linger to avoid issues, as well as not going in when the staff are putting out the discounted items).

I am truly sorry that so many folks have had to deal with bad shopping experiences.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by xbbx View Post
    I regret clicking this thread, however I just want to vent somethings and clear things up

I'm one of those Canadians loosing my jobs and it's even more depressing going in and hearing people asking about liquidations.

Thank you for making me even more depressed going into work. Thank you for putting your extreme deal hunting habits before the feelings of the employees whose trying to make the best of their day at work. Some of us found out through the news, and didn't get any more information until some of us came into work later that evening.

Last but not lease-

Please hold on to your seats. Target hasn't been bought out by liquidation companies yet. We just announced we were pulling out in Canada yesterday.
    I'm so sorry about your job loss. I love Target and I have nothing but great things to say about the employees who work there. You don't deserve all the rude behaviour you have to put up with during this difficult time. I hope the "liquidation bargain hunters" will pass quickly, so the rest of your employment time can be slightly less awful. Best of luck for the future!
    Shwa Girl and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    Target hired plenty of Zellers employees. So much misinformation and people in this world believing everything they hear and read.
    target welcomed all zellers employees to apply and did higher many of them.... but many also found new jobs... realistically you can't expect zellers employees to just sit around with no income for a year+ while the stores were gutted and remodeled and set up for target...
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Having Target here made Walmart change the way they treated customers for a while. I got a "Hello", customer service improved for a short time, recently I got a SCOP without asking... I think the Walmart stores will go back to their old poor ways as soon as Target is gone.
    this is one of my fears also.. having target created some form of competition.. it made walmart atleast make an effort....but with it gone what prevents walmart from being a complete asshat towards customers, lacking stock, and ugly messy stores.. then slowly upping the prices.. just as long as they stay a touch lower then competition (or on par with competition)
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Target has a Question and Answer page to help people out
    http://pressroom.target.ca/news/questions-answers

How many stores will close?
    By the end of the wind-down period, all 133 Target Canada stores will be closed.
    What happens to Target Canada employees?
    All Target Canada-based positions will be eliminated over time. Target Canada management will begin evaluating the needs of each position and will communicate the timing to team members directly. At the request of Target Corporation Chairman and CEO Brian Cornell, Target Corp. has created an Employee Trust to ensure that employees are treated appropriately. The Employee Trust will provide all eligible Target Canada-based team members with a minimum of 16 weeks of compensation, including wages and benefit coverage for those team members who are not required for the full wind-down period.
    What percent of Target Canada team members are eligible for the Employee Trust?
    All current Target Canada team members, including those on both active and approved leaves, are eligible for the Employee Trust. Team members who voluntarily leave the company prior to their separation date forgo ongoing compensation.
    When will the stores close?
    Please visit www.alvarezandmarsal.com/targetcanada for specifics. Generally speaking, the stores will remain open on a case-by-case basis during the liquidation period. On average, this process may take 16-20 weeks.
    Can I make returns?
    Target Canada stores will continue to accept returns of merchandise purchased at Target Canada stores, according to pre-existing policies. Once Target Canada begins the liquidation process, all previously purchased items as well as those purchased during the liquidation process will be final sale. United States Target stores have never accepted returns of merchandise purchased from Target Canada stores. That will not change.
    When will merchandise be marked down?
    We expect that the liquidation process will begin in approximately 2-3 weeks, upon Court approval of Target Canada’s plans to hire a liquidation firm.
    Should I continue to make my REDcard payments?
    Yes, guests remain responsible for all outstanding balances and need to continue to pay their bills in the normal manner.
    Will be REDcard be honored at Canada stores while in liquidation mode?
    Yes.
    Will you honor gift cards?
    Target Canada will continue to accept gift cards through the liquidation period. U.S. Target stores have never accepted Target Canada gift cards. That will not change.
    What will happen to protection plans or warranties purchased in Target Canada stores?
    Guests should call the company that issued the warranty for additional questions.
    Target Canada Pharmacy Guests
    Will you continue to operate pharmacies?
    For a limited time.
    What happens to the information on file at Target Canada pharmacies?
    Target Canada pharmacies are operated by franchised pharmacists. Target Canada is not responsible for the custody and control of patient files. Guests should contact their pharmacy franchisee for additional information.
    Will Target Canada be notifying patients of the pharmacy’s closure?
    The pharmacy franchisee is responsible for any communications with their patients under the direction of the pharmacy regulator. Guests should contact their pharmacy franchisee for additional information.
    Anna Michele and BumbleB like this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I haven't worked today, but I've added some co-workers on to facebook. One of the HR ladies posted the Huffington post article about being nice to the Target employees, apparently there a large handfuls of thing. Because of the news it made the store busier, which means more hours for us before liquidation comes in, plus my store is offering for shift extentions. I guess it's also a plus because everyone's buying things now there will nothing be left. I popped in with my boyfriend to say Hi to a co-worker and I noticed the back wall of the toys section was cleared out.

Thank you Sc-ers for your kind words. I've been mopey for the last two days. Seeing some of the positive comments gives me hope and something to remind me that not everyone is terrible.

My friends have been telling me about Sears opening their doors to us, and offering the discount. I'm surprised considering their one of the companies that are struggling to stay afloat.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did not make it to Target that much but still, when I did go, you could fire a cannon in there and not hit anyone. I think not being online affected them too. Today you must have an online presence to compete. Sad that they fell this quickly, it was just last November they said they will take a wait and see attitude with Canada. Apprantly they waited and had saw enough.

So they filed for CCAA protection, it must have been really bad for them here. Sounds like the above link is a receiver. I will have to research more to see what I can find.

I am sure we will hear more in the coming weeks about sales and stuff. Hopefully their stores will not stay empty long and something good will come of it.

Goodbye Target, all that fanfare and gone so quickly. It goes to show you can't take the name to another country without providing the same service and prices that go with that name.
    Shwa Girl, Anna Michele and JDI007 like this.
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay so based so far on what I have read, Target Canada is bankrupt. So this was not a matter of just closing and going to the States again. They are bust. The firm listed in the FAQ's is not a liquidator, they are the Monitor for the CCAA proceedings, which are court monitored proceedings that companies can go through when bankrupt. It is the same as a person declaring bankruptcy, no creditors can attack you or anything. Usually a company will emerge out of the proceedings and keep operating (Air Canada has done this several times) but Target has chosen to simply pull the plug on itself, swallow the poison pill if you will, rather than keep trying to survive in Canada.

A lot of this is just legal beagle stuff, but it does clear up why the sudden announcement of all stores being shuttered so fast. No choice in the matter in seems.
    Shwa Girl and Anna Michele like this.
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went to Target over the weekend...was full of people..if only those people would have shopped when it opened not when it's closing..

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by theweave3162 View Post
    A lot of this is just legal beagle stuff, but it does clear up why the sudden announcement of all stores being shuttered so fast. No choice in the matter in seems.
    I think it's a done deal. I think Target Canada already talked to the Canadian government and found out the penalty for closing up shop and breaking the agreement to enter Canada. I think Target will focus on cleaning up things in the US, following the Target credit card breach a while ago.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Goodlife Fitness is looking at some Target store locations as a possible expansion of their clubs

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle22538490/
    Anna Michele likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Went in tonight to pick up cat food, I love target and shopped there every week, I'm really gonna miss it! They always had great deals and such friendly staff. I bought some valentines chocolates tonight as well for 12 cents (the shelf price even said 12 cents). The whole time I was there all you could hear was the sound of the price checkers, people clearly looking for deals, the mood was really low and I feel bad for the employees that have always been so nice dealing with me and all of my coupons at the falls location. I know that the staff room has a bulletin board with job postings for staff to see so I've dropped off applications for my work since they are hiring and they said they would put them in the staff room for other staff to see. I really wish target had stayed

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kaitertot View Post
    I really wish target had stayed
    to cheer you up
    we did fine before Tarjay
    we will be fine after Tarjay
    we
    are

Smart Canucks
    who will find deal after deal after deal
    walkonby and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

to cheer you up
    we did fine before Tarjay
    we will be fine after Tarjay
    we
    are

Smart Canucks
    who will find deal after deal after deal
    Doesn't really help lol. I did much better with Target here.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information