User Tag List

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree661Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Will Target leave Canada in 2015? Yes.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBC View Post
    I've never been to a Giant Tiger store. Are the stores that large - as big as a Walmart or Target?

Ron.
    Giant Tiger is kind of like Fields and The Bargain Shop, with a little grocery section and a little household cleaning section.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by terry2144 View Post
    Someone called into the radio talk show yesterday on this subject. He said he knew people that had refused to set foot in target due to them not hiring any long time employees from zellers (including himself )
    I know of at least 1 Target employee that was a former Zellers employee. So maybe he's not correct on that.
    JDI007 likes this.

[vbp_tr_most_helpful_today]
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Target hired plenty of Zellers employees. So much misinformation and people in this world believing everything they hear and read.
    Natalka, Silk, lilo0003 and 4 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Giant Tiger?? really? ...not sure how I feel about that, I rarely go into that store, there's just nothing there for me, there isn't much of a selection in everyday items..personal care items/ I just don't like anything in that store.. :/ Target and Giant Tiger are nothing alike in my opinion.
    Zellers might even be a worse option..in my opinion..I really hope they consider more options as the process goes.. :/

/I'm still upset that they got rid of our Sobey's and turned it into a Freshco..which I never go in to.

I'd rather see a Walmart there, the one we have near us is quite far like near a highway...I have to take like 3-4 buses to get there it's a little ridiculous that they would put a Walmart so far away..
    also, I never had problems with walmart's cashier's if anything I used to have issues with Target's cashier's.. /but Walmart has that line where you go in and they call you to an emtpy cash register..you know what I mean? there's like 10 cash registeres and everyone lines up to be called to one, that takes almost no time! in my experience..much quicker.
    I would never go to the single cash registeres those take forever!

I think when Target came to CAD they should have compared their prices to stores like Walmart..that's kind of obvious when a store like that comes to CAD though..../ things are always going to be cheaper in the US then in CAD that's just how it is, CAD dollar going down and everything..obviously. We can't compare our stores to stores in the US...our dollars are not the same.

/I also heard that before Target even opened that they would hire Zeller's employee's which was a good thing!
    Last edited by JDI007; Fri, Jan 16th, 2015 at 07:22 PM.

[vbp_tr_most_helpful_today]
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by A007 View Post
    Giant Tiger?? really? ...not sure how I feel about that, I rarely go into that store, there's just nothing there for me, there isn't much of a selection in everyday items..personal care items/ I just don't like anything in that store.. :/ Target and Giant Tiger are nothing alike in my opinion.
    Zellers might even be a worse option..in my opinion..I really hope they consider more options as the process goes.. :/

/I'm still upset that they got rid of our Sobey's and turned it into a Freshco..which I never go in to.

I'd rather see a Walmart there, the one we have near us is quite far like near a highway...I have to take like 3-4 buses to get there it's a little ridiculous that they would put a Walmart so far away..
    also, I never had problems with walmart's cashier's if anything I used to have issues with Target's cashier's.. /but Walmart has that line where you go in and they call you to an emtpy cash register..you know what I mean? there's like 10 cash registeres and everyone lines up to be called to one, that takes almost no time! in my experience..much quicker.
    I would never go to the single cash registeres those take forever!

I think when Target came to CAD they should have compared their prices to stores like Walmart..that's kind of obvious when a store like that comes to CAD though..../ things are always going to be cheaper in the US then in CAD that's just how it is, CAD dollar going down and everything..obviously. We can't compare our stores to stores in the US...our dollars are not the same.

/I also heard that before Target even opened that they would hire Zeller's employee's which was a good thing!
    That would be the express line...
    Shwa Girl and thriftygranny like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Target in my city did an EXCELLENT job of hiring only the good people from Zellers. There were few, but they picked them up. They got rid of the nasty people. I love target and I'm so sad to see it go
    Silk, Decaf, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I regret clicking this thread, however I just want to vent somethings and clear things up

I'm one of those Canadians loosing my jobs and it's even more depressing going in and hearing people asking about liquidations.

Thank you for making me even more depressed going into work. Thank you for putting your extreme deal hunting habits before the feelings of the employees whose trying to make the best of their day at work. Some of us found out through the news, and didn't get any more information until some of us came into work later that evening.
    On the bright side of things, I don't have to hear about people complaining about how much they love zellars. I can FINALLY turn around and tell them they accused me of shop lifting items I had paid for.

GC are still being taken, we're just not selling any. Red cards will be converted to the basic MC Royal Bank offers.

Last but not lease-

Please hold on to your seats. Target hasn't been bought out by liquidation companies yet. We just announced we were pulling out in Canada yesterday.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I'm sorry to see all those folks losing their jobs.

I have no feelings one way or the other about Target. Personally, I've never set foot in a one. The Walmart closest to my Mom had been a Zellers, and when it closed, the employees were told they would have to fill out job applications to keep their jobs, as it was going to be a Target. Except, Target kept putting things off. Walmart stepped in and set up shop (smaller store, no groceries), letting all the Zellers staff keep their jobs. About a 10 minute drive away, across the street from a Walmart (bigger store with groceries), Target was supposed to open a store - the building was painted with Target colours, the folks in the area were getting the Target flyers and everyone waited. And waited. And waited. The store never opened. Last time I went past it (this was a while ago), it was still shut. This did not make for a good impression with a lot of my Mom's neighbours.

I really don't understand this hatred for Walmart. Where my Mom lives, there are 4 Walmarts nearby. One is within walking distance, one a 5 minute drive away, one a 10 minute drive away & one a 15 minute drive away. Except for the one furthest away, I've been to them within the past 6 months (the 2 closest I went to just recently) and have never had an issue with them. Granted, Walmart is not my store of choice simply because of geography (the one closest to where I live is a bus ride away), but I've never had an issue in any of them. Staff are friendly, never waited that long in line (except for the one at the big mall, where it's just a matter of volume of shoppers), they've accepted coupons without hassle (granted I've done very limited couponing and no PMing) and the store is clean. Maybe I've just been lucky?
    coupon girl and Shwa Girl like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xbbx View Post
    I regret clicking this thread, however I just want to vent somethings and clear things up

I'm one of those Canadians loosing my jobs and it's even more depressing going in and hearing people asking about liquidations.

Thank you for making me even more depressed going into work. Thank you for putting your extreme deal hunting habits before the feelings of the employees whose trying to make the best of their day at work. Some of us found out through the news, and didn't get any more information until some of us came into work later that evening.
    On the bright side of things, I don't have to hear about people complaining about how much they love zellars. I can FINALLY turn around and tell them they accused me of shop lifting items I had paid for.

GC are still being taken, we're just not selling any. Red cards will be converted to the basic MC Royal Bank offers.

Last but not lease-

Please hold on to your seats. Target hasn't been bought out by liquidation companies yet. We just announced we were pulling out in Canada yesterday.
    Thank you for contributing to this thread.
    Sorry you are losing your job.
    Please read the posts about SCs who will miss the good Target employees they have met.
    Hope you are able to find another job soon.
    thriftygranny and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Maybe I've just been lucky?
    I think you have been lucky with Walmart.
    At one Walmart, a cashier tried to cheat me with change at Christmas.$10. She did not think that I would call the customer service manager and demand for the till to be balanced -- they would have seen an excess $10.
    At another Walmart, they were out of advertised specials. One hour after store opening. And no rain checks there, at that time.
    At another Walmart, items were thrown around the shelves and employees working in that area did not try to reorganize. For a week.
    A few Walmarts tried to sell dead flowers. Full price.
    A few Walmarts, have not enough staff to ask a question. And the staff you ask show poor customer service, talk to you badly, and make it seem they are doing you a favour. Some rush by you so you have to chase them to ask about a product.

Having Target here made Walmart change the way they treated customers for a while. I got a "Hello", customer service improved for a short time, recently I got a SCOP without asking... I think the Walmart stores will go back to their old poor ways as soon as Target is gone.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 10:14 AM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I'm sorry to see all those folks losing their jobs.

I have no feelings one way or the other about Target. Personally, I've never set foot in a one. The Walmart closest to my Mom had been a Zellers, and when it closed, the employees were told they would have to fill out job applications to keep their jobs, as it was going to be a Target. Except, Target kept putting things off. Walmart stepped in and set up shop (smaller store, no groceries), letting all the Zellers staff keep their jobs. About a 10 minute drive away, across the street from a Walmart (bigger store with groceries), Target was supposed to open a store - the building was painted with Target colours, the folks in the area were getting the Target flyers and everyone waited. And waited. And waited. The store never opened. Last time I went past it (this was a while ago), it was still shut. This did not make for a good impression with a lot of my Mom's neighbours.

I really don't understand this hatred for Walmart. Where my Mom lives, there are 4 Walmarts nearby. One is within walking distance, one a 5 minute drive away, one a 10 minute drive away & one a 15 minute drive away. Except for the one furthest away, I've been to them within the past 6 months (the 2 closest I went to just recently) and have never had an issue with them. Granted, Walmart is not my store of choice simply because of geography (the one closest to where I live is a bus ride away), but I've never had an issue in any of them. Staff are friendly, never waited that long in line (except for the one at the big mall, where it's just a matter of volume of shoppers), they've accepted coupons without hassle (granted I've done very limited couponing and no PMing) and the store is clean. Maybe I've just been lucky?
    Either you have been lucky or I have been very un-lucky. lol

We have 1 Wal-Mart for our city (over 130,000 people - which doesn't include the surrounding areas).

It's a very dated store, always dirty and cluttered/dis-organized.

Before Target opened I shopped there regularly and DREADED it every time. I'd try to plan shops for times & days that it *should* be relatively quiet. I was ALWAYS hassled when using coupons. So much so that I stopped couponing for a while because it wasn't worth the stress. More often than not they would be out of what I went in for so I was forced to buy a similar item, usually for much more. The staff were NEVER helpful, in fact I dreaded having to interact with ANY of them. Even just checking out (without Price Matching or using coupons) seemed to be as if I was imposing on them. I won't even get started on the customers....

I have been in maybe 3 times since Target opened and each time I remember why I shop at Target! Just awful each time. Before Christmas I did a trade and the user asked for a $10 WM GC. I had DH go get it because I couldn't bear to. It took him 25 minutes in line just to get a GIFT CARD. Both the cashier and the customer behind him were extremely rude to him. He was grumbling and annoyed by the time he got home (and he's usually one of the happiest, friendliest people you'd meet).

Honestly I think it depends on your area and its store/staff/demographics, etc. I shop at WM in the US fairly often and never a problem. My local store is a nightmare. I wont return to shopping there when Target closes. I just cant bring myself to go back to that.
    lilo0003 and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

a bit of good news for Target employees
    Sears will offer some employees jobs
    Sears is offering Target employees, a Sears discount, for 16 weeks
    Sears will meet with Target Canada executives

Sears Canada is encouraging Target Canada employees interested in job opportunities at Sears Canada to visit the Sears Canada Careers site at www.sears.ca, and select the "Careers at Sears" link at the bottom of the home page under About Sears Canada. Beginning early next week, the site will publish information on special events being planned by Sears regarding career opportunities such as local job fairs across Canada, where Sears can help match great candidates with their next career opportunity. There will also be an open invitation to Target Canada head office employees for a meet-and-greet with Sears executives and human resources experts on Wednesday evening, January 21, 2015 at Sears head office located at the Toronto Eaton Centre.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2008470

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    a bit of good news for Target employees
    Sears will offer some employees jobs
    Sears is offering Target employees, a Sears discount, for 16 weeks
    Sears will meet with Target Canada executives

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....cle&ID=2008470

Good grief - and we hear around here that Sears is in BIG trouble. Their real estate holdings are costing them more than they are bringing in. Here's hoping they can hang in there and the Target employees who move over to them don't have to go through this same thing again.
    princessjen likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This was in the Star today

Sears Canada slashes 300 jobs

Sears Canada Inc. has laid off 300 workers, half of them in its Toronto headquarters, amid worsening business conditions for retailers.

• Share on Facebook

By: Dana Flavelle Business reporter, Published on Fri Feb 20 2009
    Sears Canada Inc. has laid off 300 workers, half of them in its Toronto headquarters, amid worsening business conditions for retailers.
    "We're preparing for what looks a difficult year in the current economy," company spokesperson Vince Power said in a telephone interview as he confirmed the unannounced job cuts.
    Half the layoffs occurred at the company's head office across a variety of departments, Power said. The rest were in its repair services across the country.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information