User Tag List

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Just got off the phone with my sister whom initially I had to drag her to the store to shop there...now we're both sad that our favourite store is closing down. Now I don't know what to do, can't afford to shop at The Bay (too expensive). Target is the best option (cheap and chic) high quality and affordable. WM is crap and crap.

PS. My nephew lost his Target job too.
    Last edited by Decaf; Thu, Jan 15th, 2015 at 03:02 PM.
    Silk, hcao, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    you know what rocko.....Done and Done! I was out early doing some other errands, drove the extra distance to reach Target and after careful consideration I used my entire $50.00 in GC's on Tassimo discs........... ......now for some that might seem to be a waste of GC's but for DH it is a staple around here.....lol!!!
    Panic spending!?!?

(Oh well those GCs were free anyway)
    barbis9 and walkonby like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How does liquidation work? If Target is going to go, I want to at least score some good deals on Beauty items, electronics and a vaccum. :D
    Last edited by jsmile; Thu, Jan 15th, 2015 at 04:05 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm not surprised!! I was just getting used to their 70-90% sales..I guess more people were like me waiting for deals, I never bought anything full price!! I never liked Walmart and I only go there when I'm pming...so sad for the employees...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not a surprise at all to me. They ran it the same as Zellers and they went belly up. What did they think was going to happen? Use a business plan from the previous retailer that you bought up, that was going bankrupt and make profits instead of losses.
    Zellers bankruptcy liquidation sales were garbage and these ones will be just as bad.
    Last edited by lms1979; Thu, Jan 15th, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
    My price, Free! TM

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Coupon stacking I'm going to miss this the most... I shopped at Target for everything.... they pricematched, they had their own exclusive coupons... and they always had deals... Regardless if the shelves were empty or not... I saved the most money by shopping at Target then I did at Wal-Mart.
    Silk, coupondiva, Koolaid and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They just opened a store close to my house about 3 months back.

Its actually not even complete yet..its operational & open ..but with some renovations & touchups still going on. Plus its a new store ( not old Zellers store ) and in a mall , where real estate is very expensive. Plus its a very big store..area wise.

What were they thinking, just opening a store few months back ..I guess the lease & all was already signed, so they had no option. Now this store will be closed in 3-4 months time. Never seen something like this before.

They opened too many stores & too fast. Even with empty shelves & pricing issues , if they had gone slow & steady, opening just a few stores at a time in populated areas, they would have made it.

Plus not having a proper fully functional E-Commerce website or proper website where you could search for products & prices, killed them. Who doesn't have a proper website in this age ?

I know small..mom & pop stores & restaurants, who have much better website than Target , with inventory , stock , merchandise, prices etc listed. How hard is it to do that ? You don't need online ordering but atleast have this info.

target.ca
    was a joke ..besides a copy of their weekly flyer over there..they didn't really have anything else..so no incentive for me to visit their website or their store either.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Thu, Jan 15th, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
    coupondiva, lecale, Decaf and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jsmile View Post
    How does liquidation work? If Target is going to go, I want to at least score some good deals on Beauty items, electronics and a vaccum. :D
    Will be similar to the recent XS Cargo liquidation..but on a much larger scale.

I vaguely remember how Zellers was closed a couple of years back..I don't know if Zellers was liquidated or if they just closed down. I mean I don't know if HBC declared bankruptcy for Zellers & sold their stock to a liquidation company for pennies on the dollar , or if they just sold the products on their own.
    toronto166 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Too sad to say anything
    barbis9, Decaf and Melissa Winter like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sad day. I feel sorry for all those people that are going to loss their jobs. I thought they would have gave it at least 5 years but if they are losing so much money why stay. Like others said I liked how clean their stores were and they had some good quality stuff. I was starting to shop there a lit bit more recently. They expanded too fast, they should have started small, few stores.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

the clearance will probably go how the zellers went... since it's not target clearancing it all out in their own way... the weekly flyer will stop.. no new stock will be brought in (and unlike zellers target does not have a whole backroom full of old seasonal stock to clear out) you will start seeing signs marking departments at 10/20/30% off then those numbers will slowly increase over time as stock dwindles and they get closer to shut down day

i went today and the store was busy! (it was like people heard the news so they thought instantly everything would be at a high discount) i picked up a number of basics that i needed and some kids clothing that was previously 50% off what i was waiting for the 70% off.. but i have a feeling these items will no longer follow the traditional discounting process
    Anna Michele likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think a big problem is that they didn't have any online webstore. You couldn't go on to buy anything online nor could you check to see if the store had an item in stock.

Personally when I went the shelves weren't bare. Maybe it was my location or what I was looking at.

Yes, they had high prices but there were some deals to be found too. You also had the option of price matching if an item was on sale somewhere else so I don't really think that complaint is valid. They made up for the high prices by the variety of things they had in the store to choose from. It was much better than Zellers.

I am sad to see it go. It makes me worry for the Canadian economy. If you are an American business or I guess any business trying to open in Canada it would be wise to offer the price matching and good prices. Now more than ever people are watching where and how they spend their money. You have no choice if you want to survive.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i personally will truly miss shopping & working at Target...there is something so wrong about being there opening day & now having to be there when the doors shut for good...

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I'm not surprised but still disappointed. Target had stuff that was different from other retailers (I outfitted DDs room with Target kids stuff), so I didn't mind paying for things I couldn't find elsewhere. I'm going to have to start going more often to be on the lookout for their housewares when they start heavy duty clearance
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well its about time to move to the USA, shopping in Canada is not that Great, no choices it seems we are left with Walmart?? WTF I'd rather starve than shop there, no offence to people that shop at WM, but its the most dirty place to shop, and staff is rude.. Sad..

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information