User Tag List

Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

in a way that pretty much also gives you the date of when target plans to turn off the lights for good

it worries me that all these employees are not going to be able to find new work... it also worries me that these buildings are now going to sit empty almost like a big target of failure and becoming a drain on the malls that they are part of.. it worries me that there is nothing planned or nothing will come in to fill the gap left behind by target.. atleast when zellers went.. it created jobs (construction in the remodel and rebuild of these buildings, then staffing of the new target stores.. and i'm sure target highered many more people then zellers had employed) there was something in the horizon... but now the horizon is bare and bleak

when safeway left the island i felt the pinch we went from 4 grocery chain stores to 3... when target leaves.. i know i'll feel that pinch again but worse... since it only leaves walmart and i dread shopping at walmart already.. but the idea of shopping at walmart with now all of the town shopping at walmart...if stock issues were bad before they will only get worse, if shopping experience was bad before... it's only going to get that much worse.... then ofcourse hearing the rumors that walmart has already had meetings and is planning to increase prices 10-30% across the board just because they can
    annedougherty and hijinx25 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    in a way that pretty much also gives you the date of when target plans to turn off the lights for good

it worries me that all these employees are not going to be able to find new work... it also worries me that these buildings are now going to sit empty almost like a big target of failure and becoming a drain on the malls that they are part of.. it worries me that there is nothing planned or nothing will come in to fill the gap left behind by target.. atleast when zellers went.. it created jobs (construction in the remodel and rebuild of these buildings, then staffing of the new target stores.. and i'm sure target highered many more people then zellers had employed) there was something in the horizon... but now the horizon is bare and bleak

when safeway left the island i felt the pinch we went from 4 grocery chain stores to 3... when target leaves.. i know i'll feel that pinch again but worse... since it only leaves walmart and i dread shopping at walmart already.. but the idea of shopping at walmart with now all of the town shopping at walmart...if stock issues were bad before they will only get worse, if shopping experience was bad before... it's only going to get that much worse.... then ofcourse hearing the rumors that walmart has already had meetings and is planning to increase prices 10-30% across the board just because they can
    Honestly with the exception of pickles for dh(his favorite brand is only sold at Walmart and occasionally Superstore), I refuse to shop at Walmart. Will price match what I can and pay a few more bucks for better quality elsewhere. They may not have direct competition with Target leaving now but there's enough alternatives out there to still be able to avoid crapmart.
    peachies and Linda Evans like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    Honestly with the exception of pickles for dh(his favorite brand is only sold at Walmart and occasionally Superstore), I refuse to shop at Walmart. Will price match what I can and pay a few more bucks for better quality elsewhere. They may not have direct competition with Target leaving now but there's enough alternatives out there to still be able to avoid crapmart.
    Curious what brand of pickles ive been having trouble finding good ones lately
    Decaf, bella_bamba and Lyssia510 like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Some malls had hiked the monthly rent of some of the smallers tenants & they signed new leases...like the mom & pop stores in the mall , when Target came, in that mall.

They were told that their business will increase as the foot traffic in that mall will increase due to Target.

Now its going to be a double whammy for these small stores , higher rent + less people due to Target's withdrawal. I see some of these stores closing too.
    Decaf and Ajcronk like this.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I just called one of our Targets to ask when we should use up any Target gift cards & the girl said that they really don't have a definite answer for that as the store could close at any time so you should use it ASAP.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    Curious what brand of pickles ive been having trouble finding good ones lately
    These ones, they're like the size of red hots
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/vlasic-2.../6000188761242.
    You can get normal sized jars at any grocery store but they're almost the same price as this jar and dh will eat a small jar of pickles in a day and these last him almost a week.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I posted this in the Target clearance deal thread & thought I'd do it here as well:

I asked on FB and Kevin from Target says they will continue to accept gift cards through the liquidation period.

https://www.facebook.com/TargetCanad...t=feed_comment

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobuzz View Post
    I posted this in the Target clearance deal thread & thought I'd do it here as well:

I asked on FB and Kevin from Target says they will continue to accept gift cards through the liquidation period.

https://www.facebook.com/TargetCanad...t=feed_comment
    I still wouldn't wait to use them. If they decide at any point not to accept them the argument that Kevin said so on the Facebook page isn't going to hold much water.
    lilo0003 and torontogal12 like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Yup they are smart .

Target USA has lot of money , if they want they can easily pay the bills of Target Canada.

But guess what , they are smart. They want to declare bankruptcy for Target Canada & not slowly pay the bills through Target USA.

By doing that they can dust their hands of Target Canada ..when you declare bankruptcy the suppliers & creditors can't touch you..lot of these suppliers & creditors are also screwed ..they will be just getting pennies on the dollar..for their goods & merchandise. While the Canadian laws & courts, protect Target Canada. So its not just the employees, some distributors/suppliers will also lose a lot, and looks like some bills won't be paid in full.

There is a reason why they declared bankruptcy , and didn't slowly wind down like Zellers.
    Poirot and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

List of retailers that have closed Cdn stores in addition to Target

The Canadian Press 01.14.2015

A Smart Set store is shown in Laval, Que., Tuesday, Nov.25, 2014.
    Smart Set is among the retailers that have recently closed or are closing shop in Canada.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz

A list of retailers that have recently closed or are closing shop in Canada:

1.Sony Corp.

- Japanese electronics company is closing all 14 retail stores in Canada over the next six to eight weeks
    - Closures will result in 90 layoffs
    - Currently has stores in Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto and Alberta

2.Mexx Canada

- Dutch-based retailer declared bankruptcy in December 2014
    - Liquidating 95 stores in Canada by the end of February
    - Mexx has 315 stores around the world

3.Smart Set

- Parent company Reitmans (TSX:RET.A) announced in November 2014 that it would close 107 Smart Set stores
    - Will convert 76 locations into other banners, including Reitmans, Penningtons, Addition Elle, RW&Co. and Thyme Maternity
    - Smart Set banner was created in 1945, with the first location opening in Ontario in 1970
    - First Reitmans store opened in Montreal in 1926

4.Jacob

- Womens' retailer was founded in 1977 in Montreal
    - Announced in October 2014 it would abandon restructuring efforts and close 92 stores across the country
    - Company under creditor protection since November 2010

5.Holt Renfrew

- Lluxury retailer closing stores in Ottawa and Quebec City at the end of January 2015
    - Will undertake a $300 million expansion in key markets such as Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal

6.Sears Canada

- In October 2014, parent company Sears Holding Corp. (NYSE:SHLD) announced it would sell most of its stake in the struggling Canadian unit to raise as much as US$380 million
    - In January 2014, Sears Canada announced it was cutting 2,200 employees from its payroll. It had already laid off thousands of employees in 2013
    - Sears Canada has sold leases to some of its most prominent locations, including its flagship location at the Toronto Eaton Centre

7.Zellers

- In 2011, parent company Hudson's Bay Co. (TSX:HBC) sold its leasing rights for its nearly 200 Zellers locations to U.S. retailer Target for $1.83 billion

8. Sport Mart

http://www.sportmart.ca/

March 25th , 2013 all Sport Mart locations were closed. It was a major sports merchandise store chain.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 06:21 PM.
    Decaf likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by annedougherty View Post
    I still wouldn't wait to use them. If they decide at any point not to accept them the argument that Kevin said so on the Facebook page isn't going to hold much water.
    From their January 15, 2015 press release on their website:
    http://pressroom.target.ca/news/questions-answers

Will you honor gift cards?
    Target Canada will continue to accept gift cards through the liquidation period. U.S. Target stores have never accepted Target Canada gift cards. That will not change.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
    From their January 15, 2015 press release on their website:
    http://pressroom.target.ca/news/questions-answers

Will you honor gift cards?
    Target Canada will continue to accept gift cards through the liquidation period. U.S. Target stores have never accepted Target Canada gift cards. That will not change.
    Yes, read that too. Still wouldn't hang on to them. I don't trust anything lol. I would use them now on things I need. Besides, god knows what be left to use them on later!
    Last edited by annedougherty; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:07 PM.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    That is just so wrong on so many levels. How can someone f--ck things up so badly and then wash their hands of it and get a big bonus? Even if you are the greatest, smartest person on the planet you are not worth that kind of money! Ridiculous!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post

see i have the opposite problem.. there is a surprisingly lacking amount of alternatives for a town this size... we don't have any discount grocery stores (no buy low or no frills, no superstore! or anything in the loblaws chain we don't have a fields or bargain shop or tiger giant) or discount stores in general other then an obscene amount of dollar stores! heck we don't even have a Jysk locally! (gotta go 2 hours away)
    Last edited by Midnightly; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 08:43 PM.
    Decaf likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread Information