User Tag List

Page 649 of 2054 FirstFirst ... 149 549 599 639 647 648 649 650 651 659 699 749 1149 1649 ... LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,735 of 30801
Like Tree98417Likes

Thread: Fan590 loyalty club

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Owdatoon View Post
    The rivalry between Montreal and Toronto dates back to the original 6 NHL teams. The two teams were the only Canadian cities to have a franchise and the "hatred" stemmed from trying to be the predominate Cdn team. In 1967, which was the last year that the Leafs won the cup they beat the favoured Montreal Canadiens...Toronto was stacked with old, I mean, veteran players.
    Sam Pollock built the Canadiens to the powerhouse that they were for many years, so shrewd that he managed to draft 2 of the top 3 linemates from the Toronto Marlboros one year (Steve Shutt and Dave Gardner) I believe the third member of the line Billy Harris went to the Islanders.

As for attendance to the Leaf games. It is virtually impossible to boycott the Leafs and the consortium knows this. There is a waiting list years long for season's tickets not like Montreal or even other cities in the NHL where you can pick up tickets almost before the game started. This dates back to Pal Hal days....you could see the empty red seats at Maple Leaf Gardens, but Pal Hal didn't care cause the seats were paid for.

As an example, a couple of years ago one of my daughters was down in Tampa Bay presenting at a seminar sponsored by the university she was attending. Hours before a game between Tampa Bay and Florida they got 4 tickets a few rows behind the Lightning bench for $ 100.00 US, 4 tickets for 100 bucks, WOW. The price of the pair of tickets that I won back in 2009 was $ 217.00 each.

I for one, even though a somewhat Leaf fan, would not dish out $ 217.00 for a pair of tickets let alone one. That is why I try and win tickets.

Because many players have family members in the GTA there is always a mixture of jerseys. I used to cheer for a tie when my cousin used to come into town back when there was only 12 teams in the league.

This is a great banter...but don't let it get out of hand..

I personally don't care for Ron Wilson or Brian Burke and am hoping that Wilson will be fired....I prefer more flamboyant coaches, some that show energy, animation, excitement, this type of coach would help in rallying a team....the likes of the late Pat Burns...
    well said !
    22hicks and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Blog: Motivate

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Holy hockey talk!!!!!

Boys of Summer, Go Jays! habs rule's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Owdatoon, on the issue of attendance, Montreal Canadien average attendance since the 2005-06 season is 21273 which is full capacity. Air Canada Centre average has been 19300, again below the numbers of the Canadiens. Before the Bell Centre opened their average attendance was 16964, which was still more than Leafs had of 15725 during the Maple Leaf Garden days. Go to a Leaf game today and you can walk up to any scapler and buy a ticket as you can in Montreal, but this notion that Leafs are the only team in NHL that sells out is very preposterous. Montreal sells out continuously, as does Vancouver, and Calgary. Go to a Red Wings game and same thing happens as does Chicago, Boston, Minnesota, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Washington, and Ottawa. Go to sunbelt state cities and yes it is very different, but you and I know that hockey should not be down south! Just to show you Montreal attendance in the 2001-02 season dropped to an average of 18990. Montreal management woke up to the notion that if attendance continues to drop we make less money. Guess what, you start putting a better product on the ice and you make more. That is again my point over the last 40 years with the Leafs, a better product has not been put on the ice and Leaf fans just mutter to themselves why other teams in the league win cups and they don't. Corporate Toronto, can also be blamed for the Leaf lack of success because they keep buying skyboxes and Platinum seats, well again it is up to the Leaf fans to say screw you, we won't buy your product, from Air Canada, Coke Cola, the beer companies, etc. But Leaf fans don't even do that. I have never been able to walk up to the ticket office of the Bell Centre and buy tickets the same day, so not sure where you get that idea, yes I can buy from a scalper, as I can buy from a scalper in Toronto as well and yes I can get same day tickets from any scalper in Toronto, at a premium. So to say that there are no tickets in Toronto is not true as a good number of tickets ends up in the hands of scalpers here.

As for the Leafs this year, and the last few years they always start out with quite the bang, but recent history shows that they have a tendancy to sputter mid-season. Can they hold onto the lead they have? Most Leaf fans want to believe yes, but they already have excuses ready in their back pocket, like our starting goaltender is injured! In Montreal, last year as an example we were one of the teams with the highest man time injury record and we still made the playoffs. We lost our top defender in the Boston series, Markov, and still that is no excuse for us losing in the first round, that is hockey. Pacerrietty had the most dangerous hit in hockey I have seen in years, but people complain about Gionta's hit on Reimer as if he were gunned down!

Sorry Romeo, I know this is a message you will not support, as I have an opinion that differs from yours therefore you won't have the courtesy to say "well said" but I know guys like Owdatoon will agree that it is up to the fans to say screw you to any clubs management especially if one goes out and buys jerseys for themselves or their kids, and stop supporting the corporations that support their clubs. Change will happen quickly.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Blair Bonus Code: octagon

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was living in the past about the getting tix at the door, the old Forum and Bell Centre, wasn't looking at the scalpers, cause they've always been around and in most cases, as you note, very over priced.

Gionta's hit on Reimer, from what I saw Reimer skated forward, Gionta skated across, a 2 minute penalty was accessed, as Gionta made no effort to avoid the collision. I don't think any further action was warranted.

Subban is the player you love on your team and hate when he's not.

Jersey's change almost every year and sometimes in the middle of the year all to line the pockets of NHL and teams. What happened to the actual sport, its big business now. I agree about the south....Florida only gets the Snowbirds to the game. Too many teams. Get rid of the instigator rule and there will be far less "head shots" as your enforcer will deal with those type of hits...if an opposing player knows that there won't be a retaliation he's not worried.

Boys of Summer, Go Jays! habs rule's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Owdatoon View Post
    I was living in the past about the getting tix at the door, the old Forum and Bell Centre, wasn't looking at the scalpers, cause they've always been around and in most cases, as you note, very over priced.

Gionta's hit on Reimer, from what I saw Reimer skated forward, Gionta skated across, a 2 minute penalty was accessed, as Gionta made no effort to avoid the collision. I don't think any further action was warranted.

Subban is the player you love on your team and hate when he's not.

Jersey's change almost every year and sometimes in the middle of the year all to line the pockets of NHL and teams. What happened to the actual sport, its big business now. I agree about the south....Florida only gets the Snowbirds to the game. Too many teams. Get rid of the instigator rule and there will be far less "head shots" as your enforcer will deal with those type of hits...if an opposing player knows that there won't be a retaliation he's not worried.
    Thank you, see, Habs and Leaf fans can get along! That Gionta hit was not as bad as 6ffigtr makes it out to be. Even Don Cherry said there was nothing dirty about it, as he was going across ice, not in the blue paint, and Reimer was way out of the crease(also not in the blue paint) that is why Wilson who argues about everything could not say anything bad about it after the game.

I do also want to thank Romeo today for all the codes! I have no hard feelings against you, just love the competitive tones between our 2 teams!
    Last edited by habs rule; Tue, Nov 1st, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=habs rule;4053027]Thank you, see, Habs and Leaf fans can get along!

Yep, that's why I gave you a candy (beer glass)

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Nhl Player of the Month : PHIL KESSEL

LIVE EVERY MIN. 2 THE MAX 22hicks's Avatar
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ROMEO View Post
    Nhl Player of the Month : PHIL KESSEL
    g.m. all - 'player of the month' ?? Where does this go ??
    Not accepted under Bonus Codes
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 22hicks View Post
    Oh, I see, just more hockey talk - ok, I get it.

Maggie, good luck with the scoreboard
    Last edited by 22hicks; Tue, Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:56 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Info for the Millions and Millions of LEAF fans !!!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh, I see, just more hockey talk - ok, I get it.

Maggie, good luck with the scoreboard
    any chocolate left ?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Info for the Millions and Millions of LEAF fans !!!
    I'm 1 of them, just didn't realize @ 1st it wasn't a new category 4 pts.
    Way 2 go Kessel

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

any chocolate left ?
    unfortunately, yes
    I guess I'll just have 2 finish them off myself - poor me

Thread Information