User Tag List

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree4815Likes

Thread: July 2015 Frugal Chatter

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I'm thinking the bacon will be ok too lol. I will get extra bags at the grocery store and triple wrap them! Now how many should I buy lol

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Last week was a scorcher here - never had such hot temps - but it does cool down at night. We live in a home with A LOT of windows and, when we bought the place, made it part of the contract that blinds be installed on all the windows. That has been such a huge blessing with the heat we've experienced.

Here is what I do to keep the home cool. Open every window up in the evening when it is cooler outside than in. Put on all the ceiling fans, as well as run the fans in all the bathrooms to let out the hot air. When heading for bed, we keep a small window about the kitchen sink open and that generally cools the house down quite a bit more. When I wake up early, I head downstairs and open a few more windows that won't have the sun shining on them first thing in the morning. All windows are closed again by 9 am and things stay surprisingly cool inside. the warmest it got on the main floor was 28 degrees C.

This is a new home and there is a lot of insulation in the attic which helps tremendously. If I had a older home, I would first make sure insulation in the attic is adequate and install blinds on the windows before even considering air conditioning.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My son just messaged me and says his back is better, and he went to work today - but says it's not all good. Being a mechanic is really physical, so he knows he has to be careful.
    At least he'll pop by here after work - ah, the lure of chicken stew, his fave meal (I had saved him a big container from yesterday) - but I said he can just pick up or stay, whichever he feels like. As well, chicken soup - which should either comfort or cure him, lol!
    Just shows that at 24, he's still my little boy!

Funny, it just hit me that my mom would still call me her baby girl when I was an adult - wowsers, nice flashback!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Got hair cut this afternoon. DH rushed home from work/church because I had a midwife apt. DD1 was sick enough that it really only should be me or him. Since I already cancelled my plans for the morning he was happy to do his part.

I cancelled my hair apt for tomorrow morning BUT they had an opening after my midwife apt. I have a new do! Shoulder length now got about 6-8 inches off.

Tomorrow is up in the air (well all days are at 38 weeks preggo, but more so with a sickie), but my day is cleared to devote to the family if needed since DH did that for me this aft.

DD1 is feeling better. Perhaps food related and her system is the most sensitive.

Midwife update: I am measuring 1 cm smaller than last week!?! Midwife wasn't entirely happy with ultrasounds results. They said baby was 5.2 lbs at 36 weeks and in the 10th percentile. She felt this was inaccurate, which I agree. A 5lb baby is low average at term. I was happy with her analysis and plan to wait until 40 weeks for another ultrasound bc all the other results weren't anything to be concerned about. My FIL was reassuring today to and said I am healthy and fit and not to worry, if I want to be bigger, do less weeding and watch more TV.

It's a small concern of mine still that something is off, but worrying will do nothing, best to keep positive as that's what the results are so far.

Angela, I hope babies give you some relief. I was in quite a bit of sacral pain on Sunday. Sorry for the TMI (we're all friends right?) but I had several BMs yesterday and the pain went away. There just isn't extra room, this is especially true for you with two! I hope something shifts for relief soon. We just don't know what is pressing on what in there!
    Last edited by Granger; Tue, Jul 14th, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hopefully all the illnesses and the pregnant aches and pains will be gone soon enough. I had my regular toe injection this morning to keep the joint mobile and pain free-just don't like that freezing. To me it is worse in a joint than say at the dentist. Anyway totally worth it. DD is off to fly to Vancouver tomorrow to visit her friend for a week. DH and I are going away to visit friends for a few days and then in one week will do our family holiday picking up DD enroute.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I'm thinking the bacon will be ok too lol. I will get extra bags at the grocery store and triple wrap them! Now how many should I buy lol
    I don't know if it matters to you but the bacon is 375g not 500g?
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Granger I had to giggle about your FIL's comment he should have said eat chocolate while watching tv as well (lol)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@lizzie bargain where are you travelling to, I forget (Victoria)?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Picked up yummy take out for Logan and I. Dropped my item to buyer as promised $10 there. I had a $12 pickup this evening and another item spoke for weekend pickup (I'm holding as it's $5) and I'm rural (lol) and this item has been posted for 2 months so what's another few days (smile).

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    QOTD: If you were to go on a shopping diet, but could allow yourself three to five areas to spend on, what would they be? All necessities are excluded like food, home repair, winter tires, winter boots, replacements for broken items, etc., but eating out, cable, or hobbies are fair game.

Hmmm what I would allow. that's a tough one I think more about what I'd limit or my problem areas are. One would bemy monthly cards and postable gifts to my niece and nephew. Will ponder and get back to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    How long does bacon keep in the freezer? Honestly I have never pulled out a package that was bad lol. I have about 5 in the freezer but considering this is a great meal for my kids mid-week (with eggs and toast etc) and a pretty cheap meal at that when compared to other options I'm thinking of doing the SDM 20X the pts on Saturday and but the Maple Leaf bacon on for $2.99 less $1 WUB 2 coupon. Stock up the freezer and pump up my SDM pts for the fall/winter/Christmas redemption.
    It never stays in our freezer long enough to find out!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I think baby A (boy) dropped this week. I had an excruciating amount of pelvic pain yesterday which resulted in us eating out for supper. Got Chinese food and there is lots of leftovers for tonight's supper. Yesterday's dinner plans are being moved to tomorrow night, as long as I am feeling ok. I'm still pretty uncomfortable today, but my pelvis isn't hurting nearly as much.

I've been looking around for a photographer to do maternity and newborn pictures. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but it is something that I really want. Some photographers are booking well into the fall and are rediculously expensive. I've found a new place in town that isn't busy. Here work is ok (not the best, she used to be a photographer at WM), but the packages are adjustable. It looks like we will do an "on site" family and maternity shoot on Saturday morning. I only want a CD of all the edited pictures, so it will only cost us $50. Most photographers won't provide an edited CD with their packages, charge you per print, etc. I mostly want the maternity pictures for myself. I still have to decide exactly what prints we want of the newborn/family pictures, but it will still cost a lot less than other photographers. She said that if I bring in my own flash drive she will put a copy of the pictures on it too, for free. I am aware that I might be somewhat disappointed in the end product, but it will cost us less than half what everyone else is charging. Some photographers that I was considering have "bump to baby packages" for $600 and does not give me a CD of all the pictures. Sorry for the rambling explanation.

I spoke with my hematologist this morning and everything looks pretty good. I will switch to 12hr injections of blood thinners whenever the pharmacy gets the meds in for me. I just have to do follow-up CBC bloodwork to make sure that my body is handling the new meds just fine...I don't anticipate any problems because I took this med with LO and everything was just fine.
    If you were closer to meadow lake or cold lake I'd recommend elligwence photography or photography by jolene.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi folks!
    We had a "flash flood" in our basement today during a "Extreme Thunderstorm Warning" which said we would get between 40-60 mm of water. The water poured in (only about an inch high, thank heavens our basement isn't finished) through the pipe which brings the Bell and Entegris connections. So insulation is pooched, several still-unpacked boxes wet - but most of our things are in Rubbermaid Containers. So although insurance MAY (but probably not) cover the damage - it's our responsibility to patch up the hole. Don't know how we'll do it as yet. But there is clay residue all over the front half of the basement.

Tomorrow we have to go to London for dh's pain clinic appointment so we're hoping that we don't get rain tomorrow as well.

I am screaming inside!

Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So sorry to hear this Avon-flooding is a nightmare with the,mess, loss of items, costs etc. Sadly I speak from the experience of losing a child in a flood so while I empathize greatly with any flood victim, I am thankful when lives are spared. Items can be replaced but people cannot -so glad you and DH are okay-but it is a total pain I know! My sympathies.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Wed, Jul 15th, 2015 at 07:54 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Sorry to hear that Avon! We had a bad flood last year (the floor drains backed up) and had a major cleanup and had to throw stuff out. Our home ins deductible is $1000 so be didn't bother putting it through ins.

Now we keep everything in rubbermaid totes and up off the floor. We have an old stone foundation so sometimes our bsmt stays dry and sometimes not depending on how much rain we get etc...

We got a bit of water in yesterday but nothing major thank goodness! I have the dehumidifier running so it should dry up on its own. Last month there was a day it was really bad (in the one corner the water was at least an inch deep) and I had to clean it up with a wet/dry vac (we do not have a sump pump and all the floor drains are capped off now after last year's back up problem).

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information