User Tag List

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    Oh yikes...what did you do as precaution? In the meantime I spoke with the builder and he says there isn't any chance a rat would find their way into this house unless it is through an open door. I'm just taking precautions and keeping rat poison under the deck anyway. No pets can get to that spot so it is safe from kids/pets.

I just kept the kids in the house and made sure the doors were closed,after a few weeks the rats disappeared i guess they found a new home
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Hello...just being nosey and poking my head in for a while...gosh, so much going on in your lives!! I don't feel I'm frugal enough to hang out here, LOL....on the other hand, with me still not in top form, my hubby does all the shopping so I don't have a handle on what goes on there, how much things cost anymore...but I am finally making a few meals, or..at least helping my hubby out. I'm getting stronger but my knee still "gives out" when I least expect it, and I guess it's all affecting my back, but what the heck...there's worse out there, and I know that one day I'll be fine again.

Walks, darn it, we were in Walmart (my second time this summer, lol) for a few things, and didn't see any carts with reduced produce there; had I read your post, I sure would have looked for one. I did run into one at RCSS yesterday and found a large container of cherry tomatoes which I picked up. I'll use most of them then make a salsa with the rest, likely tomorrow, but I've really enjoyed them so far. AND my new GEFU gizmo thingy that made stringy zucchini stips for a salad today!

Anyhoodles...you all take good care of yourselves; I hope you can get out and enjoy the weather, smell the roses...I can't believe how fast August is flying by!!!
    I never feel frugal enough either but I hope to get there one day . Many inspiring women here.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cdngal75 View Post
    I never feel frugal enough either but I hope to get there one day . Many inspiring women here.
    ...absolutely inspiring, Cdngal75! You'll get there one day, too, Hon!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think most everyone is frugal in their own way and relative to their life stage, income, needs and wants. The more the merrier on this thread IMHO-people don't need to lurk and feel they are imposters! Everyone's income and circumstances are different but we try to be a helpful support group to each other and people do try to offer their honest observations and suggestions in a nice way.

To give an eg I bumped into a good friend at the grocery store today. She has 3 children attending 3 different private schools( one boarding) and I am sure her school fees are higher than our annual income and presumably her family has a good income to support that. However she did comment to me that she had been paying closer attention to grocery prices lately-I assume that means she is trying to cut in some areas to pay or save in others. Up until a year ago she had all 3 kids in the same school so got a family discount. I am sure her fees have gone up, especially with a boarding school. Not to ramble on but no matter your income most people I think( except maybe Bill Gates) will be frugal somewhere to either save or spend on something else more important to them.

Anyone who wants to learn some frugal ways and chat is welcome.
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Wed, Aug 12th, 2015 at 07:51 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I think most everyone is frugal in their own way and relative to their life stage, income, needs and wants. The more the merrier on this thread IMHO-people don't need to lurk and feel they are imposters! Everyone's income and circumstances are different but we try to be a helpful support group to each other and people do try to offer their honest observations and suggestions in a nice way.

To give an eg I bumped into a good friend at the grocery store today. She has 3 children attending 3 different private schools( one boarding) and I am sure her school fees are higher than our annual income and presumably her family has a good income to support that. However she did comment to me that she had been paying closer attention to grocery prices lately-I assume that means she is trying to cut in some areas to pay or save in others. Up until a year ago she had all 3 kids in the same school so got a family discount. I am sure her fees have gone up, especially with a boarding school. Not to ramble on but no matter your income most people I think( except maybe Bill Gates) will be frugal somewhere to either save or spend on something else more important to them.

Anyone who wants to learn some frugal ways and chat is welcome.
    I 2nd @lizzie bargain comments - everyone is welcome, the more the merrier and we learn something from everyone no matter our financial circumstances
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Supper was sausages on the bbq $5 + 1.25 in reduced bakery sausage buns, still enough leftover for someones lunch or teenagers snack time (haha). Yesterday was cashew chicken in the crockpot (free cashews from reunion and $5.71) for chicken, rice as side dish @.50 and enough leftover for lunch. Now to think of what to make tomorrow I'm thinking Korean beef, anyone ever make this, this recipe calls for ground beef via pinterest but time will tell. Dh may run to staples tomorrow so I will tag along to do some much needed groceries as he and ds1 will be away next week at the moose camp. Also noticed that many flyers that usually start on Thursday are starting on Friday this week or is it just me?
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I agree, we are all frugal in our own way.

I`m doing the happy dance today. Went to the Spinrite tent sale yesterday and really lucked out. They discontinued 2 colours in a yarn that I use a lot. I got 120 balls. Reg price would have cost $658.80...I paid $240 so a savings of $418.80.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Lizzie said exactly what I was thinking. I don't "need" to be frugal, but I want to reduce my work stress so that is a reduction in income. The more attention I pay to our money the more likely this is to happen sooner rather than later. The daily motivation often gives me a boost when I am having my pity party. I have been devouring the early retirement and financial independence blogs recently and I have found purging really helps to put it into perspective. Why buy stuff to fill space when what I want is time.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post

I`m doing the happy dance today. Went to the Spinrite tent sale yesterday and really lucked out. They discontinued 2 colours in a yarn that I use a lot. I got 120 balls. Reg price would have cost $658.80...I paid $240 so a savings of $418.80.
    Wow, awesome savings for something we know you will use a lot of. Learning to knit is on my bucket list. I am not sure how many scarves my kids can handle, but I think it would be calming after I figure it out of course.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Tonight I picked all the apples off my tree-about 30 small ones from a small tree-tired of the birds wanting to peck at them! They are quite yummy!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We have 2 apple trees that are just loaded this year. Keeping our fingers crossed they are ok. Last year we had lots but they all went in the composter...they were all wormy and hubby had sprayed them all summer.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We have 2 apple trees that are just loaded this year. Keeping our fingers crossed they are ok. Last year we had lots but they all went in the composter...they were all wormy and hubby had sprayed them all summer.
    How disappointing, CL. A few years ago hubby picked a big basket of crab apples from our tree and I made crabapple jelly...a big job, but oh, what lovely tart-sweet jelly! I hope you get a good crop of apples this year! Do you bake and freeze or make jellies and butters?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Fantastic, Crochetlady! Yep, you won't be running out of things to do, that's for sure. Is the yarn for your gorgeous afghans?

I picked up two of those huge balls of yarn at WM yesterday...you've probably seen them, the yarn feels like chenille, uses size 8 needles. I bought a variegated pink/lilac/white one, and a blue/green/white one, both for baby hats for charity....I'll be busy at camp this weekend in a more constructive way when everyone gies hiking!

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone, and you're right: each of us, in our own way, has a budget, and no one arbitrarily tosses money around buying "stuff" we can do without.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Lynn, there is nothing better than crabapple jelly - my mom made it every year. We had two big trees in our backyard. She also canned the apples whole, I loved those!
    I just recently bought some apple jelly - I know it won't be the same, though.

Good morning, everyone! I'm just going to head to sleep - hoping I can get a few hours!
    It's another scorcher today.

Gas just went up to 1.25 here - up from 1.10, so that's just awful. Gah!

Enjoy the day!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I'm so jealous of everyone's apples! Only 1 out of 3 of our apple trees produced apples and then the squirrels ate them all

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information