User Tag List

Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Worked with my dd yesterday and today made another $160 which is going on my LOC.I will only be able to put a second coat of paint on the inside of my bottom cupboard tomorrow so that will be done.Floors are still a work in progress but hope soon,not next week as i have 3 cleanings,i will probably be very tired.I quess i better go and have lunch as it 2
    We do what we can....when we can...it will all get done in good time, I appreciate the fact that you are doing it in strides (when you have the spare time) which makes perfect sense. Great job on another payment on your loc, it eases the mind/worries I am sure.

PS how's the new car?
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Have you looked under/between car seats?
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    SS-sorry about the loss of your gift card. That is a lot to be out. I always buy them too and worry should they become lost or stolen but I guess it would be the same as me carrying cash. Do you have the receipt? I would think the gift card number would be on there and could you perhaps cancel it and have another one re-issued? Hope it turns up.
    I haven't yet, but I thought of that same idea a few days ago. It was 7 AM the morning and DH was sitting in the seat. It won't be until the weekend that it'll be light enough to see the bottom of the car.

It always seems to be one step forward and two steps back. DH scored a job editing some forms for one of the major banks for a few hundred dollars, but the check engine light came on. $640 later, we got our sensor fixed. Well, at least we're a few hundred above where we would have been had he not got the job. Unfortunately, he underestimated the time it took to do the forms and what was supposed to be half an hour turned into the entire night or about three hours. Net loss, about $500. Sigh.

I'm thinking of going back to the SDM parking lot tomorrow just to check if it might be there. It was a lot of money. Does that sound crazy? Please don't answer that. No, I don't have the receipt. My mother bought it. It really drives me bonkers that it's gone. I have the receipt for the milk and eggs I used it on, I have the Optimum card I used it with, and even the silly contest card it came with. I didn't suspect for a moment that I didn't have the GC until I needed it this week.

We'll be going to my dad's this week for his birthday. I ordered a birthday message signed by Stephen Harper. Now that he's lost, maybe it's lost a little of it's lustre.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I forgot to save my offers from PC plus that I wanted for this week. I had the beef offer too that I had not used. I put a reminder in my phone for next week although I don’t see any great offers this week. I am working at home today, which always seem like such treat.

Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I was on light duty today, literally light duty, I decided to wash all the globes and light bulbs as they were quite dusty BUT mostly because it's getting darker earlier and if I'm going to pay for having the lights on I might as well get the full effect (brightness) haha. Well I will say what a huge difference in the brightness of the lighting....wow....I do this every 6 months. and it still amazes me (shock & awe effect)

Supper tonight is leftovers and/or quick fix. We have 1 or 2 of this and that so great way to use them up.

I will admit we are not a wasteful household. I haven't thrown anything grocery wise other than the odd slice of bread in such a long time. I now only take 2-4 slices of bread, bagel etc at a time.

I believe we are not wasteful because we are mindful of the process of harvesting food (ourselves - apples, pears, walnuts, butternuts, cranberries, rhubarb, tomatoes, fishing, hunting++++) and because food is expensive AND something that should not be taken for granted as many children and adults are hungry here in Canada and abroad.

Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!

What are you doing to prevent food spoilage???? Are swapping food for other food via facebook groups or amongst family and friends?, trading extras from garden or selling excess stock, participating or doing large amounts of baking at 1 time for present and future use, freezer/batch cooking etc (like @thriftygranny does with her daughters) or participating in a cookie/dessert exchange? thanks

Last edited by jasperandchar; Fri, Oct 23rd, 2015 at 02:41 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-hey all what are we doing to prevent food spoilage -hummm I try not to buy a lot of meat to have in freezer again with only 2 I don't want it in the freezer for months -I cooked a lot more when my mom was with us she always wanted a huge meal
    -its hard with only 2 of us as we don't eat as large potions anymore -I just thru out a few luncheon sliced meat -so will try to buy less as its expensive -mind you I went to a local store on the way home and bought a pkg of lilydale roast beef 6 slices 1.49 mind you it expires oct 29 but hey that is cheap
    -I don't waste fruit or veggies hardly ever eat every apple ,pear ,maybe a bit of lettuce gets chucked
    -well I haven't gone out today -this one car is helping me from going out random shopping for sure

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -hey all what are we doing to prevent food spoilage -hummm I try not to buy a lot of meat to have in freezer again with only 2 I don't want it in the freezer for months -I cooked a lot more when my mom was with us she always wanted a huge meal
    -its hard with only 2 of us as we don't eat as large potions anymore -I just thru out a few luncheon sliced meat -so will try to buy less as its expensive -mind you I went to a local store on the way home and bought a pkg of lilydale roast beef 6 slices 1.49 mind you it expires oct 29 but hey that is cheap
    -I don't waste fruit or veggies hardly ever eat every apple ,pear ,maybe a bit of lettuce gets chucked
    -well I haven't gone out today -this one car is helping me from going out random shopping for sure
    You are definitely saving $ with the 1 car situation, I know it's a pain at times but finding a balance with your dh's schedule and your flexibility in the end will amount to huge savings (as you are quickly learning/seeing) in the long run both on vehicle related expenses and curbing shopping sprees (lol) but you always shop the deals so great job.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am very aware of how easy it is to waste food, but I won't eat something just to prevent waste as that creates a whole other issue. I have a teenager so not much goes to waste. I throw all the leftover meat and gravy in the freezer and then make hot pot. Super easy and cheap.
    saundyl, Andit, Natalka and 6 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I bought 2 pairs of jeans, a fleece jacket, a t-shirt, and a fleece sleeper for $17 at Salvation Army.

I bought new grey carpet for our front step for $50 from a local flooring place that is going out of business. It was the end if the roll so they gave us all the extra for free. It was 1/2 their regular price, and then I saved the taxes because I paid cash.

I got some groceries at the coop and used their app. $2 off $3.99 3lb bag of ambrosia apples. $1 off eggs. $1 off any fresh or frozen beef. $1 off chips, I bought their cheap store brand. There were others for grapes & pumpkins, but I didn't use them. The grapes didn't look very good. I also used my rain check for $2/lb chicken thighs.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Went to RCSS since I wanted to grab a few more bottles of Dove body wash ($2.99 less $1.50 coupon) Grabbed a few for my mom to go with her Christmas stuff. And bought 3 of the St. Huberts Tourtiere pies on for $5.99 Reg $11.99. The teen loves them and the little one said he does too so will be an easy oven meal with fries and salad! I can't make it for that price. Redeemed $20 in PC PTS from my extra PC PTS card. (saving up the ones on my PC M/C)
    Major St. Hubert's pie envy on my end. I spent $10.99 two weeks ago at Fortino's. Nice RCSS score, @Frugalbigmama !
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I am very aware of how easy it is to waste food, but I won't eat something just to prevent waste as that creates a whole other issue. I have a teenager so not much goes to waste. I throw all the leftover meat and gravy in the freezer and then make hot pot. Super easy and cheap.
    Sounds like a great way to make the food last to the end!

Food waste-it is an issue at home as one person tends to buy more produce than can be reasonably consumed so I usually spot check it daily or when doing a fridge tossout of items that seem to be in longer than one would need them. I never like finding wilted produce in a crisper (because I'll want to wash the bin if there was leakage or stuck stuff).
    Current issue-two new jars of pickles were seen in use despite a big jar of sandwich slicers since summer (only half consumed) has been sitting in the fridge. Cue argument...as I had put a note on the second jar in the pantry about the open jar in the fridge.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Oct 23rd, 2015 at 05:43 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When I saw the All Clad ad in the Aug/Sept issue of Fine Cooking, I thought of @Angela273 's recent situation of what to do with tomatoes. I believe you could use any tomato for this recipe even though Roma tomatoes are mentioned.
    http://www.all-clad.com/Pages/Elevat...-Tomatoes.aspx

While I can have cooked tomatoes, I might have to try making a batch of this recipe in order to find new ways to like tomatoes.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Major Goal to do before Christmas is to declutter the spare room and make it in a office.Wish I had more storage in this appart
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Cath pm me you addy i have a few for you
    Thank you so much,pm send
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Cath: I have 4 of them, so pm your address and I will send them to you

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Cath: I have 4 of them, so pm your address and I will send them to you
    Ok, Eve will be an happy cat with a good Whiskas stockpile,thank you so much

Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread Information