Thread: SEARS CANADA- On track to becoming the next Target? :(

CouponNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 5.40.53 AM.png
Views: 608
Size:  472.9 KB

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/336073681.html

A friend had recently told me that Sears Canada was in trouble. To be honest I haven't shopped at Sears in a LONG time. It's funny it's right at the entrance of the mall but for some reason I quickly run through and never stop to shop.

I recently got a $10 savings card (when you spend $25) from Hallmark . I was excited to use it so I went online but I after spending a good 30 minutes I couldn't find one single thing to buy!! Everything I wanted was overpriced! I really want to support Sears because it's a Canadian company and has been around for ages. I feel kind of bad when I read articles about businesses failing- but everything was so overpriced- I thought if I purchased anything I would be throwing away my money.

It's kind of sad to think how all these businesses are being shut down by companies like Amazon who have barely any overhead costs. I am going to try to revisit Sears because I don't want them to be the next Target. It was devastating how thousands of people were out of jobs, I hate to see that happen again

So maybe we could all come up with a deals thread to support Sears over the holidays? I just hope they can get it together, because by the looks of their financials + stock price- things aren't looking good.
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com, Hallmark, Sears, Target
    Ciel, torontogal12 and Arvilish like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree....it's a shame that Sears is in such financial woe, but their prices are over-inflated, and their 'sales' are not what I would call a sale.

In 2000 their stock was at $40/share, and now it sits at just $11/share. Their days are numbered.
    Ciel and JDI007 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sears closed a ton of stores here in Ontario. The closest one used to be a few blocks away, now it's an hour drive. Last time we went there there was one cashier on the entire floor and the line was half an hour long. I think they may not want to pay more staff to cut costs? If you search for news stories there's lots of info on Sears Canada's problems.

Just wanted to post to say Sears is definitely not a Canadian company. Its head office is in Chicago and there are Sears stores all over the USA
    mulock, Ciel and JDI007 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Our Sears turned into a clearance centre for the chain after Christmas last year. Basically, it's now the "worst of Sears" store.

Sears was always a go-to place for me for a wide variety of colour custom blinds at great prices, for me. I am glad all my windows are done now because that's what I am going to miss the most.
    mulock and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Nothing new here. Sears has been in trouble for years.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Five minutes spent on the SC forum boards and you will see all the horror storys of why Sears is having so much trouble. I will never spend any money there again and same with loads of other people because of the horrible customer service (or lack thereof) that they offer.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I have had a sears card for many years and even though I do not spend much I have bought big ticket items from them also and would be sad to see them go.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

I have gone into sears soo many times and always walk out with nothing.... As much as I want to spend money I'm just disappointed in either the excessively high prices, dated stock, bland fashions or lack of what I'm looking for
    Ciel likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

About bloody time. The Bay shouldn't be far behind

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecoupons23 View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 5.40.53 AM.png
Views: 608
Size:  472.9 KB

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/336073681.html

A friend had recently told me that Sears Canada was in trouble. To be honest I haven't shopped at Sears in a LONG time. It's funny it's right at the entrance of the mall but for some reason I quickly run through and never stop to shop.

I recently got a $10 savings card (when you spend $25) from Hallmark . I was excited to use it so I went online but I after spending a good 30 minutes I couldn't find one single thing to buy!! Everything I wanted was overpriced! I really want to support Sears because it's a Canadian company and has been around for ages. I feel kind of bad when I read articles about businesses failing- but everything was so overpriced- I thought if I purchased anything I would be throwing away my money.

It's kind of sad to think how all these businesses are being shut down by companies like Amazon who have barely any overhead costs. I am going to try to revisit Sears because I don't want them to be the next Target. It was devastating how thousands of people were out of jobs, I hate to see that happen again

So maybe we could all come up with a deals thread to support Sears over the holidays? I just hope they can get it together, because by the looks of their financials + stock price- things aren't looking good.
    Ciel and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I really hate that they are combining cash desks. You walk around for quite awhile before you find a cash to check out!

Having said that they do have incredible deals quite often. I bought 5 shirts for myself today for $5.99 each! Last week I found a Heys purse on clearance for $44.99 (down from $90) and then an additional 30% off. I buy a lot of my kids clothes there also (fancy girls dresses were 70% off today).

Their Boxing Day sale is 40% off the lowest clearance price today and tomorrow only. Some major deals to be found! One woman beside me bought jeans and they rang in as $3.99! She ran back and got a bunch more. lol

It's like any store you have to know your prices and wait for the sales.
    Ciel and WINNIPEGZELDA like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I really hate that they are combining cash desks. You walk around for quite awhile before you find a cash to check out!

Having said that they do have incredible deals quite often. I bought 5 shirts for myself today for $5.99 each! Last week I found a Heys purse on clearance for $44.99 (down from $90) and then an additional 30% off. I buy a lot of my kids clothes there also (fancy girls dresses were 70% off today).

Their Boxing Day sale is 40% off the lowest clearance price today and tomorrow only. Some major deals to be found! One woman beside me bought jeans and they rang in as $3.99! She ran back and got a bunch more. lol

It's like any store you have to know your prices and wait for the sales.
    Their quality is also much better. They just have to do a better job of updating their price tags and pricing things accurately, as their prices are too confusing. Lot of times the products are much cheaper, but they are not tagged properly, so people walk away and they lose a sale..thinking its expensive, but its not !

they will have something priced for $ 40 ( white price tage ) and then have a red clearance tag on the same product saying $ 25 , and then they will have a sign saying 40 % off in front of it ! Now you don't know if its 40 % off the $ 40 or an additional 40 % off the $ 25 ! Is it already reduced or will be reduced further at the cash..lol.

the flyer has one % off , the signs in store say something else ! Plus there are no price scanners in store, so its annoying to knw what the final price is, unless you bug the sales person every now and then.

Often the price scans less or more than what the tag says !
    Ciel, amira84 and WINNIPEGZELDA like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I caught some retail guru on a business news channel who said that the actual Sears stores are all money-losers. The only money Sears is making is through catalogue and on-line purchases.
    Their store-fronts aren't long for this world, which is fine with me, since their buyers have no fashion sense whatsoever re their clothing lines.
    Question is: what will replace them in mid-sized cities?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The problem is that they are not online friendly, a high shipping threshold, history of cancelling orders/sending wrong items and bad CS when they do makes people less likely to buy online.
    Ciel and amira84 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    The problem is that they are not online friendly, a high shipping threshold, history of cancelling orders/sending wrong items and bad CS when they do makes people less likely to buy online.
    They sent me a dresser they do not even sell. The Brick sells it. Also, it was a piece of garbage, making Ikea seem high quality in comparison lol.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Ciel and JDI007 like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If Sears could bring in the other branded clothing lines and have stock in the store. I can understand toys being online only to an extent it saves stores storage space and likely keeps manufacturers assured only to ship what's bought.

I'm skeptical about the catalogue orders keeping the chain going. It's been about five years since the company sent its catalogue call centre abroad. The chain's Facebook page has some customers not happy about the prices online and getting billed/dinged at different prices or being sent wrong merchandise or not getting anything that was paid for.

I concur about cash desks-the Lime Ridge Mall main floor of Sears is down to three cash areas that have someone there-if you don't count the cosmetics counters.
    beachdown likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information