User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: Decluttering in 2016!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    We tackled some things this weekend. Fairly pleased with the progress. Added more to a box to go for donation. Organized the recycling and got the refundables in the car to be dropped off today. Starting tackling some clutter in the basement...baby steps lol
    Sounds like you are doing good...keep it up.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I'm working on this task in 2016 as well. I'm currently doing the bowl full of lemons 14-week challenge, and purging the house as I go. Eventually I want to go back and use the Kon Marie method on the whole house, but I'm still reading the book at the moment. I found the book, although quirky in places, has really helped change my perspective on those things that I dislike but keep either because I spent $$ on them or because someone gave it to me.

I took about 4 garbage bags worth of stuff to value village this weekend, and I have a small 'sell' pile that I've posted. Our city uses the Varagesale App and it is super easy, but I'm getting annoyed at people not picking things up.
    Last edited by beckie.c; Mon, Feb 1st, 2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    I found the book,... quirky in places.

That's a good way of describing it.
    Last edited by Cake; Mon, Feb 1st, 2016 at 10:16 AM.
    macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm with you Wimbly. It is really hard with kids to declutter, mine grab things out of the donate pile lol. What works for me is watched an episode of Hoarders which also spurs me on to clean my house like crazy. It is so easy to accumulate 3 coats when we only need one or more sets of shoes than we really need....so whenever I bring something into the house I try to get rid of something else. Also trying to use things/clothes etc. that I keep in reserve for special occasions...use them and enjoy them!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Another thumbs up for the Mare Kondo method. What's dif about her approach is she says to declutter by category (and in a particular order), not by room - so you can see all you have/own. I started the 1st category - clothing - several months ago, but got interrupted due to a family situation and have yet to finish - almost there but not quite. But my closet is now roomy instead of having clothes crammed in there, and my dresser drawers are neat and organized - and I've been able to maintain them with just a few blips here and there since. Donated 6-7 bags of clothing to a local charity.

Thanks for this thread, wimbly. Maybe it'll help me finish off decluttering the rest of my clothing and then move on to the other categories.

p.s. Google Marie Kondo - if anyone want to know more

Silk

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Marie Kondo's work looks interesting. I'm tempted to read her books.

This is a slow process with life getting in the way. But every item leaving the house is an accomplishment! I have a small box ready for donation, instead of waiting and letting things pile up I'm going to drop it off tomorrow on my lunch break when I'm on town so it will be out of the house!! Goodbye box of random crap!!
    Silk, seylz_gurl, macw1960 and 3 others like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^^I googled Marie Kondo Silk and Beckie. love the way she folds sweaters, you can see them so much easily than laying them flat! not Marie Kondo but love this method of folding a fitted sheet too. Great thread Wimbly!
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Tue, Feb 2nd, 2016 at 08:17 AM.
    wimbly11, Silk, macw1960 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Was curious and googled the sweater method. I do this with my tops, well somewhat. I roll them so I can see them all instead of stacking. So much easier!! Here's the video!

Silk, seylz_gurl, macw1960 and 4 others like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Decluttering can be very hard when someone else is involved, unless you both have the same want and same views it can feel like you are getting no where.

I found in our house the middle ground was to try to sell whatever we get rid of, seems to give a sense of not just losing the item. It is weird I know but hey if it gets the stuff out of the house so be it.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

We`ve been holding garage sales every summer for at least 20 years. When my in-laws passed , we cleaned out their house. We gave away tons of stuff but some we kept, dunno why, but we did. When my parents passed, we cleaned out their house and kept just about everything. Over the years, thats what we`ve been selling. And still we have stuff. The kids moved out and took some stuff but left others. So ive learned to keep a couple of boxes handy and when i dont want or need something, i put it into the box. When the box is full i bring it to the local center. This Christmas, i went through all our Christmas décorations and have a box full of that to give away. I find the hardest things to give away are the ones which hold memories. Like for example, we have this old old Christmas Angel topper. The wand is broken, the hair is gone, it has broken in several places but it was the one my parents bought when i was about 5 or 6 years old and always put it on the tree. That angel is 60 years old! I would never get rid of it and i know one of my kids will take it and love it.

the hardest things to get rid of are the ones that hold memories, but the rest, well if you havent used it in one year, get rid of it! Lately ive been eyeing my kitchen cupboards. I need to declutter the kitchen cupboards of mugs, soup bowls, chip and dip bowls, etc.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have been de-cluttering for months. The hardest things are the items that my mother had. I wish following her death I had cleaned everything out but I was so overcome with grief as we shared a house together. I am finally able to get rid of her things but get stuck on silly things. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I have been de-cluttering for months. The hardest things are the items that my mother had. I wish following her death I had cleaned everything out but I was so overcome with grief as we shared a house together. I am finally able to get rid of her things but get stuck on silly things. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    This is a good read on letting go of sentimental items...
    barbis9, macw1960 and Davetherave like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Some of the silly things are the ones that hold the most memories. If they bring on a smile, then hang on to them. Dont get rid of them until you are ready because you will always feel that you should have kept them.
    barbis9, macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    This is a good read on letting go of sentimental items...

Which book is good on sentimental items?
    macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFlakey View Post
    Some of the silly things are the ones that hold the most memories. If they bring on a smile, then hang on to them. Dont get rid of them until you are ready because you will always feel that you should have kept them.

I have donated a lot and some of the things I regret. I have no problems with getting rid of my things......but if my mother bought it than it is an issue. I just feel really stuck.....and have decided to take a break from it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information