User Tag List

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1150Likes

Thread: What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    It's only one small thing, but I kept my 2018 budget at the same level as last year. This is a change from past years where I added a couple of percent more often than not. Barring an unexpected increase in prices, the same budget amount should be fine since I managed to come in a few hundred below it last year. In addition, I have a decent amount of PC and OPT points that will be easier to redeem for groceries soon... far easier than it is for me to find things I want at SDM that involve redeeming at the upper levels.

And thankfully, it seems likely that our household income to be somewhat higher this year. Not enough for me to pay less attention to saving though. ;p
    I haven't changed my budget amount for groceries this year either. And once my SDM points get converted to the new PC pts program I will have even more grocery $$
    Ciel, macw1960 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I've discovered I've become picky about frozen pizzas as well in terms of seasonings and crusts (sibling buys most of the pizzas but even then, I find I have a low threshold for spicy seasonings or meats). So either I'll have to make my own crust or sometimes get the Dr. Oetker Casa di Mama pulled pork pizza on sale at a grocery store on occasion (my Shoppers does not stock that variety).
    For years, I had a limit of one frozen or heat and eat pizza per month. Maybe 18 months or so ago, I cut this back to zero. Since then, I either make the dough from scratch or use different types of flatbread depending on the type of crust I want each time. Sauce is easy, passata with garlic powder and herbs mixed in. I also get to choose which toppings and how much I want.

Cost-wise, the amount I save per meal isn't all that much, but that's because I can and usually do put on considerably more toppings and cheese than the frozen or ready-made ones have. If I didn't do that, I'd save a fair bit more.

And in terms of convenience, while I don't always keep oven-ready ones in the freezer, that's easy enough to do.
    Silk, Ciel, sweetmomma and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

try to take advantage of seniors day each week at shoppers to get my eggs or milk or rexall managed to save 5.89 today at rexall from my seniors discount
    Ciel, sweetmomma, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I cleaned the freezer and did an huge amount of meal prep with things that needed to be used. I now have enough lunches read for me to grab and go for the next 6 weeks.
    Silk, Ciel, sweetmomma and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Ouch! Food Basics has it on sale herein ON for $2.88 for the 450 ml size.
    Oh i wish!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetmomma View Post
    Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Hay River NWT

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I cleaned the freezer and did an huge amount of meal prep with things that needed to be used. I now have enough lunches read for me to grab and go for the next 6 weeks.
    Amazing! That freed up time due to advance prep can be used to gain traction on another project or quest!
    macw1960 and lilo0003 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Now I feel a little bad for tossing out my big container (this morning) almost empty of peanut butter because the expiry date was in mid-June:
    But best-before dates, except for egg products, refers to food quality, not safety.Food dates can be challenging to understand. It might say before 1/3 and it’s not clear whether it is Jan. 3 or March 1.
    A website such as stilltasty.com provides information on how long food will last. For instance, yogurt can be OK one to two weeks after the sell-by date, while almond milk is fine in the refrigerator seven to 10 days after the date.
    The council argues Canada needs to standardize dates and terms, which is being done in Europe and the United States. Those countries are using terms such as “use by,” “freeze by” and even “tastes best by.”
    The goal, says the researchers, is for a 50 per cent reduction in per capita food waste by 2030.
    https://www.hamiltonnews.com/communi...od-says-study/
    saundyl and Silk like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Sadly it loooks like more food costs to rise with the import tariffs to certain USA made foods and goods.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Silk and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Sadly it loooks like more food costs to rise with the import tariffs to certain USA made foods and goods.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    While exploring Longo's various depts last night (to preview what specials or items might interest me for today), I noticed that all Haagen-Daaz ice creams are now selling at $7.29. They were $6.99 regular price, so 30 cents hike already. Even their ice cream bars are now over $7. Share your treats wisely!

I did not buy ice cream today (no budget and did not carry an insulated tote) because I've revised my shopping list 3x in the last 3 days and needs trump most wants (except for the seasonal Coke bottle I just had to have this morning).

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Eggs on sale for $1.77 at IGA this week. Will stock up!
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

The next week is using up food on hand and not shopping till next Tuesday. Will make some fancy feasts with bits of this and that. With leftovers for DS for lunch while I'm at work.
    Silk and Ciel like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

still on a quest to use what is presently IN the freezer for meals and to resist great sales. It is a tough one though, my eyes always scan the new flyers.
    Silk and Ciel like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    still on a quest to use what is presently IN the freezer for meals and to resist great sales. It is a tough one though, my eyes always scan the new flyers.
    Yes, it's hard to resist checking the flyers. I find it helpful to see when sale prices begin to creep upwards or bounce from one sale price one week, then up or down the next week. Personal care items seem to be trending upwards.
    walkonby and 4sure5 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Austerity measures-no more pop or impulse candy buys, no more magazine buys. Focus on protein and produce foods and try to get household needs on sale or only when about out of existing supply. Have to find pants on sale. Just ordered cross-trainers as they are necessary for daily walking and tasks and my local store has not had clearance runners I can wear lately.

I'm expecting not to use many coupons for September. Would like to try a Canadian toothpaste brand.

I've noticed some of my personal care items are mostly from the US. It's hard to find similar products made in Canada or substitutes I can live with. Prices are another issue-what goes on sale is not often Canadian made. I have to find a deal on hair gel soon or cringe at paying full price for it ($6.99 locally) as the item comes from the UK.
    Silk and coupon girl like this.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information