User Tag List

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1150Likes

Thread: What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Since the Fortino's store changed its reduced price stickers from pink triangles to the square white and yellow stickers, I've been charged full price 3 times recently as neither the cashier nor I caught the mistake before cashing out. I did not catch two of the charges while still in the store. So I resolve to either do separate transactions for reduced price items and full-price items or decide which groceries are priority purchase at that moment.

The third time, I was having to balance a cake with a bag of groceries as I wanted all those items on my first errand trip to get home but did not want to pass up some reduced produce and bread deals I found. Lesson learned!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

L'Actualite has a report on the increasing market of fraudulent foods in Canada. Worth the time with Google Translate if you don't read French:

https://lactualite.com/societe/2018/...raude-au-menu/
    Silk and juliemadden like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    L'Actualite has a report on the increasing market of fraudulent foods in Canada. Worth the time with Google Translate if you don't read French:

https://lactualite.com/societe/2018/...raude-au-menu/
    Thanks, Ciel. I agree - worth the read.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Still not finding it too bad. Shopping the sales as usual. Redeeming PC pts to stock us up on good deals too helps!
    Yesterday picked up 11 boxes of free cereal. Sharing with friends and starting out donation box for Thanksgiving food drive.
    Ciel and sweetmomma like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Still not finding it too bad. Shopping the sales as usual. Redeeming PC pts to stock us up on good deals too helps!
    Yesterday picked up 11 boxes of free cereal. Sharing with friends and starting out donation box for Thanksgiving food drive.
    Also have to agree, definitely helps when you shop the sales, use points, price match, coupons, etc.

Also picked up some cheap cereal today (Don't know if I'll be able to get the money making PC Cereal at this rate!), got 12 boxes of HBOO Apple Cinnamon from Sobeys ($2.00 Sale - 10% - $1.50 Coupon), got some frozen pizzas for myself ($3.00 - 10%) and then used $10 in AM, paid only $1.70 for all of it, even the cashier was impressed! (Receipt shows I saved $76.05, not including AM redeemed)
    Last edited by johnb56789; Tue, Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Not a surprise, this news of higher prices coming to stores soon (but I've already noticed a change in some grocery food and non-food pricing this year by 50 cents at least):

He explained that the cost pressures have been building over the past year, beginning with Ontario's minimum wage hike from $11.60 to $14 an hour on Jan. 1, followed by rising fuel and transportation costs. Then came the Canadian government's retaliatory tariffs on July 1 on a wide range of American products, including coffee, maple syrup, salad dressing and other foods.
    "Now, we're having a — what I would describe it as — a tsunami of tariff-related request for cost increases from our supplier partners," said Michael Medline, Empire's CEO.
    https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/gr...185440966.html

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Black Friday is coming up and I don't know about you guys but I will be stocking up on butter, cheese, cake mixes, tomato sauce, hot beverages and soup. November always has the best deals on those items. Here's a link to what else you can stock up on in November:
    http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/no...-sales-cycles/
    Last edited by juliemadden; Fri, Oct 26th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Silk likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A package of small green bin bags is now $6.49. It was $5.99 earlier this year and this summer. And product sizes seem to keep getting smaller.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes I am noticing the regular price of items going up in my RCSS. I pointed that out on Thursday night when we were there.

More motivation to shop the sales/clearance etc

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

$3.97 for iceburg lettuce today. My price is $1 or less lol. Really watching the sales and planning meals accordingly.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Not a surprise, this news of higher prices coming to stores soon (but I've already noticed a change in some grocery food and non-food pricing this year by 50 cents at least):
    https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/gr...185440966.html
    The cost of food keeps rising, while millions of dollars worth of perfectly good food is literally thrown into garbage dumpsters behind the stores every year. It is hard to fathom.

We garden and do some freezing/preserving, and that helps put a fair dent in our grocery bills. Every little bit helps.
    Natalka, Silk, coupon girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

$3.97 for iceburg lettuce today. My price is $1 or less lol. Really watching the sales and planning meals accordingly.
    Ouch! And I thought us paying 2.49 at RCSS this week was high!

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Yes I am noticing the regular price of items going up in my RCSS. I pointed that out on Thursday night when we were there.

More motivation to shop the sales/clearance etc
    Been noticing this too! At my RCSS in particular, a tube of Crest Cavity Protection (The 100ml tube that is normally $1), is now at a regular price of... $3.48!!! Regular use to be $1.48!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Ouch! And I thought us paying 2.49 at RCSS this week was high!
    Noticed this too, lettuce is crazy right now (most likely due to the romaine recall, at least for us here in Ontario). Family friend will most likely need some lettuce during our shop this weekend and the best I can do is $2.49 (Price Match Independent, Valumart, or Sobeys) since I am also seeing online that RCSS want $4 for a head of Iceberg
    Lavender Lady likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I was going to grab one tonight for a Salad but it was $4.87, nope passed on that we can go without Salad tonight.

Newfiescreech likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    199 (100%)

Paid $3.99 for an "inspiredgreens" lettuce which is grown here in Alberta. Iceberg was grown in California which is where the eColi romaine came from. How can one lettuce get contaminated and not the other?? Tastes good to.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information