User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: walmart.ca added a handling fee

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Not sure if I am posting in the right place but just wondering if anyone else noticed a handling fee added to walmart.ca. I do a lot of shopping there and it used to be that I would have it sent to a Canada post location, free shipping. But now it is a $5.00 handling fee. What is worse if it is under $50.00 and you are having it mailed to your home it's now a $5.97 shipping fee and a $5.00 handling fee. Am I see it wrong or is this new?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Walmart
    Silk, mulock, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Springbreeze View Post
    Not sure if I am posting in the right place but just wondering if anyone else noticed a handling fee added to walmart.ca. I do a lot of shopping there and it used to be that I would have it sent to a Canada post location, free shipping. But now it is a $5.00 handling fee. What is worse if it is under $50.00 and you are having it mailed to your home it's now a $5.97 shipping fee and a $5.00 handling fee. Am I see it wrong or is this new?
    Holy Crow! Seriously? Wow.....I will never shop at walmart.ca with these clawbacks. What a big difference to the free shipping on everything when it first started.
    mulock and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Jeesh, way to discourage customers from buying from Walmart.ca ....what is Walmart thinking? Heck, if I see something on their website that I want to buy, I'm going to go to their Customer Service desk and tell them to order it and for them to have it delivered to the store and that I am not paying handling fees, etc.
    Ciel likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    194 (100%)

Wow! I used to shop walmart.ca all the time, but drastically decreased my business when they did away with the affiliate program. I definitely won't be shopping online if I have to pay fees. Back to amazon!
    Ciel likes this.
    Want to learn how to coupon? Check out this ultimate guide to couponing in Canada!

Love Swagbucks? Check out Treasure Trooper! Same idea, but also has a chat room and pays to play with dragons! Pays in USD! Click here for a $5 bonus when you sign up!

FLA
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Too bad. Hope they can realize that is a huge mistake!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is the new shipping costs. Looks like it is no longer worth making smaller purchases online at Walmart.

Name:  walmart.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  34.2 KB
    Silk, Ciel, spanishpoet and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not going to happen. Handling fee=no thanks. I will shop elsewhere.
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unless Amazon changes their rates, I will be shopping there first. I ship to students, and the ship to home limit of $50 is too high for me.

For my own shopping, if I can't make the limit $50 limit, I will do grab and go. However, just tried it now and 2 out of 4 items didn't qualify for grab and go but were ok for home delivery. They weren't large or heavy so I don't understand. So that would leave my option as using grab and go, adding "stuff", pickup at walmart and get in line to do a return. Sounds time consuming.
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Walmart has been gradually eroding everything that made them stand out when they first came to Canada - no rainchecks, charging for bags, refundable loonie deposit for a cart in some stores, no more free shipping with no minimum, and now a handling fee

it's bizarre

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with having a minimum order amount or it's just costing us all in higher prices, I just find the $50 too high. And the "grab and go" minimum amount at a Walmart store doesn't really make sense since they are getting us to go to their store, hopefully giving them more business.

I've never returned their online purchases by mail, but I assume they will cover the cost.
    Last edited by maple7; Thu, Apr 14th, 2016 at 12:31 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I too noticed that a lot of items do not qualify for grab and go. I guess I will not be doing much shopping on their website anymore. I can barely stand to go into the store anymore. Oh well I can take my shopping elsewhere.
    Durham Couponer and maple7 like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tvwatcher View Post
    Walmart has been gradually eroding everything that made them stand out when they first came to Canada - no rainchecks, charging for bags, refundable loonie deposit for a cart in some stores, no more free shipping with no minimum, and now a handling fee

it's bizarre
    I think that the departure of Target has lessened their competition and the downturn in the economy and the loonie's value has perhaps sped up these changes? A lot of stores have been changing their price matching/coupons/rainchecks etc policies in the last year.
    Silk and maple7 like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Wow I'm surprised at how upset everyone is getting. Okay so you spend $25 to get free shipping to a CP location. Its not that much different from Amazon who btw is almost always more expensive compared Walmart in the first place.

And its always been you have to spend $50 to get free shipping to home.

I'll definitely still be shopping online at Walmart and this won't change my opinion. Besides if I'm ever below the $25 cap for free shipping to CP location I'll just add on some dried beans, pickles or soy sauce. I'll be buying those eventually anyways.
    lecale and agarla like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Springbreeze View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this!

Quote Originally Posted by tvwatcher View Post

it's bizarre
    Did not know about all these changes. I only get to Walmart maybe 2x a year because it's too far for me but planning a trip there soon. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Wow I'm surprised at how upset everyone is getting. Okay so you spend $25 to get free shipping to a CP location. Its not that much different from Amazon who btw is almost always more expensive compared Walmart in the first place.

And its always been you have to spend $50 to get free shipping to home.

<snip>
    That's not always been the case - used to be free home delivery, no minimum - I think it got changed to that after Target opened, then changed back after Target closed.. I had several free deliveries for less than $50 in the last couple of years. In one case, as I recall, my order was less that $5.

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Fri, Apr 15th, 2016 at 05:57 AM.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this!

Did not know about all these changes. I only get to Walmart maybe 2x a year because it's too far for me but planning a trip there soon. Good to know.

That's not always been the case - used to be free home delivery, no minimum - I think it got changed to that after Target opened, then changed back after Target closed.. I had several free deliveries for less than $50 in the last couple of years. In one case, as I recall, my order was less that $5.

Silk
    I was not aware that there never was a minimum for home shipping. Either way I personally don't think its that big of a deal because I shop there regularly. Plus almost everyone else charges a minimum for free shipping. When I think about it I can't begin to imagine just home much money they would be out if they offered free shipping to small orders.
    Silk and lecale like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information