User Tag List

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree2110Likes

Thread: May 2016 Frugal Chatter - ALL WELCOME

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    On a different note this has been a week of changes. On Tuesday I was given my new cell phone for work which is a different brand then I am used too (normally we have Blackberry but for some reason a hand full of use were give Galaxy) so I am trying to learn this new phone before they go live Tuesday. With the new phone means new apps I can access, Blackberry is very limited.

Does anyone use the SDM app?
    @SassyAshley : Previously, I was using DH's Blackberry and also just received a new iPhone5. Are there any apps I should get? Personally, I find the iPhone5 to be a big pain in the bum compared to the Blackberry. It is NOT email and text friendly. However, it does guess the words I am trying to write a lot quicker. (Maybe DH turned off that feature on the BB.)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    I do. I LOVE it. Remember how I complain about the PC points; offers no good for me. I ordered catering for my sister's bridal shower from Fortino's Pan Fresco. Cashier asked if I had my card and I said, I always do and scan but usually don't meet the offers. Boy did I get points! $50 worth!!! While there isn't a base points like SDM there is a bang for $150 spent (and I got it x3!!!) Scan those cards ladies...even when you are not getting points...you may be surprised!
    @Granger : Did you have a special points offer WUS $50? That would explain the bonus!
    saundyl, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

QOTD: What apps should I get on my new iPhone5? What apps do you find useful? What apps should be on the Blackberry?

Currently, I have CO51 and on both. I tried Zweet, but the only offer that looked interesting was $0.25 on milk.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    QOTD: What apps should I get on my new iPhone5? What apps do you find useful? What apps should be on the Blackberry?

Currently, I have CO51 and on both. I tried Zweet, but the only offer that looked interesting was $0.25 on milk.
    I would suggest also downloading Caddle. It has weekly offers for your receipts, plus very short surveys that pay you instantly on your account. It you do Twitter, it also has offers related to it.
    PC Plus app is handy, and you can swipe to carry over 3 offers from one week to the next.
    KFC app, I've used family discount offers like 20% off a family bucket.

I I don't think there are 7-Elevens where you live, or else I would also suggest this app. It has completely free items some Friday's, and you don't have to buy anything.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow, I used to be so organized when it came to everything $$$$ but I found over the last year as my life got busy and was going in 500 directions at once I messed up and missed a Rogers payment. Sadly I think I one point or another it happens to all of us.

I now do all of my money stuff on payday to know it is done because I think that is what happened with the missed payment, I thought oh I will do that tomorrow, oh I will do on the weekend and before I know it it fell off my radar and got missed.
    Angela273, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Sweet Sparrow, I used to be so organized when it came to everything $$$$ but I found over the last year as my life got busy and was going in 500 directions at once I messed up and missed a Rogers payment. Sadly I think I one point or another it happens to all of us.

I now do all of my money stuff on payday to know it is done because I think that is what happened with the missed payment, I thought oh I will do that tomorrow, oh I will do on the weekend and before I know it it fell off my radar and got missed.

I do the same. Get paid. Pay it all out lol. I have it all set up on excel and mark it paid. Same with savings/RRSP/TFSA etc. All gets disbursed on payday.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Sweets parrow -I'm not aware of too many savings apps that can be put onto Blackberry. Do know that the LCBO app does have a version for Blackberry, should there be a beer or wine or accessory purchase for future gifting or hosting needs. Don't know if Air Miles has a Blackberry app version--since LCBO and Rexall both take Air Miles cards for points.
    Chips-sibling got a Club Pack of the No Name chips. Despite their lack of taste (they seemed stale), I reached for them twice yesterday and the third time hands were going for the bag, my brain screamed stop, they are not Ruffles (now there is chip delight if you can score a deal or Tostitos, if corn chips might do the trick-$1.88 at Food Basics). Glad you got your seaweed snacks! @Angela273 -that garden of yours is really coming in handy for a family activity but also as a way to be outdoors without having to put the younger children in strollers! Bet your son is looking forward to seeing the new chicks soon at the farm!

I tried on Saturday to see if the PC Plus points transfer link to Optimum points was still working-sadly it did not. I have just over 10000 points (sibling came through on buying the PC free detergent x 4, so double the 1600pts offer for every $8 spent on the product) and am keen to do a Shoppers redemption anytime this month...but have to just wait.

Made cream of carrot soup (the Irresistibles tarragon flavor was there but no delicious aroma during cooking-I was so puzzled by that absence, a perk of making the soup). Since that was a store brand herb, I will have to double the quantity next time to see if the aroma comes out. Since I ate the second Brookside bar yesterday (it was a cold day and whoa 440 calories, 1/2 bar being a serving), my banana oatmeal cookies don't have chocolate in today's batch. Using 3 round cake pans and the rectangular toaster pan (lined with parchment paper) worked a treat to fit all cookies on same wire rack--so no scorching on any cookies.
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Sweetsparrow -I'm not aware of too many savings apps that can be put onto Blackberry.
    @Ciel : Now I'm looking for apps for the Iphone5.

I think my aversion to making pre-authorized payments from my chequing account came from a relationship with Bell. They took a $50 deposit on the final month's bill and it took nearly two months to get it back. Rogers did it to DH and it took me four and a half years after he moved to get it back. That one was more interesting because the account was solely in his name as a single guy back then, in a town two hours away. I called and they didn't speak to him at all, but a cheque came to our address in his name.

So, I always move money manually, but this time it backfired. I've gone back to the pre-authorized payments.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I think my aversion to making pre-authorized payments from my chequing account came from a relationship with Bell. They took a $50 deposit on the final month's bill and it took nearly two months to get it back. Rogers did it to DH and it took me four and a half years after he moved to get it back. That one was more interesting because the account was solely in his name as a single guy back then, in a town two hours away. I called and they didn't speak to him at all, but a cheque came to our address in his name.

So, I always move money manually, but this time it backfired. I've gone back to the pre-authorized payments.
    I totally agree with not letting any company take automatic payments. I have heard too many horror stories (friends were charged $1100.00 for one month of internet. The payment was taken automatically so much harder to fight/ask for reduction when they already have your money) I pay car/house/internet etc for the year for this reason. (and it gives me a discount

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I was about to suggest the Apple Pay -given the article I just read in the Toronto Star-and for McDonald's (some decent menu offers and hey, their hot chocolate is awesome!):

Against this backdrop arrives Apple Pay, at long last, a mobile pay offering for iPhone users and Apple Watch wearers, etc. — available now to CIBC and RBC customers; coming soon to BMO, Scotiabank and the TD. Convenience and a higher level of payment safety are two key marketing features.
    https://www.thestar.com/business/201...omy-wells.html
    Angela273 and jasperandchar like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

This is a hard Monday to get through. I am so watching the clock and thinking of all the things I want to do when I get home.
    Working for a living sucks!
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    This is a hard Monday to get through. I am so watching the clock and thinking of all the things I want to do when I get home.
    I am the total opposite. Gorgeous sunny day, home raising my kids. I should feel motivated. Haven't done a darn thing. So tired after the weekend, I can't wait until bedtime. lol.

@sweet sparrow -the shower was pricey, but we chose it to be that way. There was only going to be one and we wanted it to be like a smaller scale Italian or Serbian wedding shower. (A mini-wedding). I had seven smaller bridal showers and a large wedding. My sister is having a smaller wedding and we decided on one large shower as the groom does not have a lot of family.

My mom wanted to include some people to celebrate that will not be invited to the wedding. My mom would have invited them, but the bride wants small and her numbers dictate making choices. Anyway, because we wanted people to celebrate with us, but not offend, it had to be done tactfully. My mom and I had conversations before sending shower invites with attendees. i.e. the wedding is small, we don't want to offend with a shower invite that doesn't have a wedding invite follow, but we want you there to celebrate with us. They could always decline the invite, but if they know us, it is not about the present, but presence. So all this to say, we wanted it to be a bigger scale shower to honour those in attendance who would not be celebrating with us in the summer

APPS
    -SDM
    -PC Plus (I earned $50 in points!!! Not spent $50. I rarely have offer that meet my needs but always scan my card. I think if you spend $150 there is a point kickback that is not in your offers. I don't usually spend that much in one trip).
    -Paperless (it is a to do list app...it is my favourite and I upgraded from the free version for that very reason).
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I want to be in your shoes! And have your get up and go!
    Just walked through some spring showers after exiting the food store Shoppers for the egg deal and oh about three other things on sale. Aside from Walmart, this Shoppers has large muffin cups but they are 50 for 79 cents (in-store special to early June). Walmart's were 120 for about 1.29? Dollarama and other grocery stores stock only medium...And there were no Dr. Pepper 6pks left for the pop special. Just Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi and 7up.

Got my hemp seeds at Sobeys Extra (lots of bags in case you need some) for $5.99. Put some can refund money into account.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There was only going to be one and we wanted it to be like a smaller scale Italian or Serbian wedding shower. (A mini-wedding).
    Oh, to wish seeing Pane Fresco fare (the flatbreads, the pizzas!) at a Serbian shower! I have not been to showers since the 90s but the odd bride that married into an Italian family tended to pick wedding venues that served Italian menus for the big day. I still remember the grape bunch shaped ice cream dessert at Chandelier Place in Stoney Creek around 1987 or 88-never had that before or after!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Oh, to wish seeing Pane Fresco fare (the flatbreads, the pizzas!) at a Serbian shower! I have not been to showers since the 90s but the odd bride that married into an Italian family tended to pick wedding venues that served Italian menus for the big day. I still remember the grape bunch shaped ice cream dessert at Chandelier Place in Stoney Creek around 1987 or 88-never had that before or after!
    Chandelier Place was my wedding venue! We were one of the last weddings before renovations. It is much more expensive to have a wedding there now. Our plates with open bar included were $56 a head. This included salad, pasta, main, dessert and fruit buffet to be served with the wedding cake.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I am out of town for a couple of days, so no cooking or house work for me for a couple of days.

Grabbed a Pizza Hut Dinner box after work so this gives me dinner tonight and lunches as well. After I had dinner I went for a walk and took a look in some shops close the hotel. Just really felt like taking a walk so decided what the, I am away I have nothing to get done (not true, I have some work to get done but will have time).

Kind of nice to be away with no worries for a couple of days, it looks like this will continue as I have a few more trips already planned and that is without anything popping up.

Have a great night everyone.

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information