User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Overcharged at A&W

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Whatever happened to that old adage-"the customer is always right"? And in this case you absolutely were!!! If they hadn't acknowledged it and given you a free meal you could report them to whomever in the gov't handles GST/HST overcharges-the sad thing is how much they must have overcharged their other customers-and who does their computer say gets that money-them or the Govt. Who knows!
    The fortunate (?) Thing here was that it was ONLY in conjunction with that particular coupon. I can verify this as a friend still had a receipt from a couple days prior, from the same location, using a different coupon and everything was calculated correctly.

The general manager even explained to me that it was that particular coupon and how the instructions were to ring it up that caused the miscalculation. It actually had nothing to do with tax, but rather that where there are 2 drinks included in that order, only 1 drink was being discounted. The 2nd one was still coming it at 99c+ tax.. but it isnt itemized on their screen.

So as I say "fortunately" as not EVERY customer was being bilked. Just anyone who has perhaps used that particular coupon... and I believe it was limited to that particular location.

But you're right. If they were over-charging everyone, and reaping thousands upon thousands of dollars in over-charges, it could be a huge legal mess.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I thought the end price was too high when we went through A&W using the two chubby chicken dinner coupons. Thanks for sharing your experience; I'll know what to check next time. (We enjoyed the meal and the pleasant drive-through service, though. That alone was worth the little extra I think we paid.)

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I've been having the same problem recently with Mcdonald's, not sure what the heck is going on but sometimes their coupons are ringing up higher than their stated prices ($10.68 for a $10.48 two can dine, $5.69 for a $5.49 one can dine), each time I had to go right back and demand that money back and so far no issues in getting the money back. But I'm not sure whats going on with these coupons.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    I've been having the same problem recently with Mcdonald's, not sure what the heck is going on but sometimes their coupons are ringing up higher than their stated prices ($10.68 for a $10.48 two can dine, $5.69 for a $5.49 one can dine), each time I had to go right back and demand that money back and so far no issues in getting the money back. But I'm not sure whats going on with these coupons.
    getting back to this thread late... but there MAY be some explanation to this (although not likely given your evidence).

In my travels, there is a McDonald's that is located on a special property (for all intents and purposes, let's call it a park) where there are special regulations for tenants in terms of use of the property, and other considerations that cause this particular McDonald's additional costs in property up-keep and what not. The usual menu board reflects this with slight price increases than most McD's locations. -- In McDonald-land prices CAN be set by the local restaurant, so paying a bit extra for a Big Mac at a different location isnt that unusal, nor a big issue. I just notice that the price is usually higher than it is in the one by my house.

HOWEVER -- when there is a coupon book out, the fine print DOES SAY "at participating restaurants". So at this location, a sign often goes up that reads "Coupon promotional prices may be increased by up to 5% due to our location and property agreement." or some such, I dont recall the exact wording. But you get the gist. They could opt to not participate at all, but they choose to with the disclaimer before people place their order.

Although it seems like they don't have such a sign at your location and they are willing to offer refunds for the overages.
    nicolthepickle likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information