User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: BUYER BEWARE - Costco "unlocked phones"

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yet another follow-up...

Having no response from Costco on this matter, I decided to contact Samsung who really are the ones responsible for the way this phone operates in the first place.

Samsung will provide you with an unlock code for these phones at no cost. They apparently have this procedure at the ready, because I was told this with absolutely zero hesitation from their product support team.

Simply call them at 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose the option for mobile phones.

Provide them with the IMEI# off your phone, and a bit of your contact info... and within 48 hours, they will send you the unlock code and procedure for unlocking the phone.

Yes, it takes 48 hours to produce the unlock code, but this typical... and the procedure is not difficult. (I havent done this particular process, but I've unlocked dozens of phones in the past, so I know it's pretty simple once you have the code)

At least they are doing this for free... it's $40-$50 from the carriers.
    Tbites, Rena13 and Little_Winter like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Yet another follow-up...

Having no response from Costco on this matter, I decided to contact Samsung who really are the ones responsible for the way this phone operates in the first place.

Samsung will provide you with an unlock code for these phones at no cost. They apparently have this procedure at the ready, because I was told this with absolutely zero hesitation from their product support team.

Simply call them at 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose the option for mobile phones.

Provide them with the IMEI# off your phone, and a bit of your contact info... and within 48 hours, they will send you the unlock code and procedure for unlocking the phone.

Yes, it takes 48 hours to produce the unlock code, but this typical... and the procedure is not difficult. (I havent done this particular process, but I've unlocked dozens of phones in the past, so I know it's pretty simple once you have the code)

At least they are doing this for free... it's $40-$50 from the carriers.
    Costco almost never responds to their email.

I was denied access to their pharmacy bcoz I am a non-member, but you don't need to be a Costco member to access their pharmacy. They can't force the membership on you just to access their pharmacy.

Numerous emails went unanswered. Its against the law to charge membership fee to access any Pharmacy, so they are basically breaking the law by preventing me from accessing their pharmacy with a valid prescription.
    Tbites and agarla like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

***UPDATE***

Costco has answered my plea and have corrected the signage.

The product card no longer reads as UNLOCKED, but now rather a more accurate SIM LOCKED.

See new signage below taken moments ago. (sorry for the resolution, but I did this remotely)

This was confirmed at more than one location -- not sure if it's nation-wide but I'm glad to see they have taken the matter to heart.

Attachment 313368

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information