• 2 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By lecale
  • 1 Post By TaraF
  • 2 Post By lecale
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By TaraF
  • 1 Post By Angela273
  • 1 Post By walkonby

Thread: BHT. Do you really know what you're ingesting?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

How many people here sit down every morning to a bowl of cereal, maybe 2, and head out the door? Your kids are the same, why? Because it's one of the easiest things to grab in the morning. Nothing wrong with that. If I'm in a hurry or not in the mood to make a protein shake or an egg breakie I do the same, but would you ever think you're grabbing a bowl of cancer with that? Okay, I'd say that was a little over dramatic, but it isn't. I'm not going to dissect the types of cereal here, don't care whether you're eating the sugary stuff, the healthy stuff, or the inbetweeny cereals, I'm talking about the packaging and the antioxidants they use. BHA, butylated hydroxyanisole and more specifically, BHT, butylated hydroxytoluene.

I read my ingredient lists like a hawk, not only due to allergies, but also because I want to know what is in my food. Although not as strict an adherent to the rule as I should be, "if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it" is probably the best one we can live by. Now BHT, it's a synthetic antioxidant used as a preservative and closely related to BHA, it should be noted that it is approved by the FDA and receives a GRAS rating, or, Generally Recognized As Safe. That means if you aren't sitting down and ingesting it by the bucketful you should be ok. Riiigggghhht. Everything in moderation, I guess. lol But here's the thing, when things such as BHT are in almost everything we eat, put on our faces (yes it's in cosmetics and moisturizers too) it becomes an accumulative toxin in our bodies. Not to mention our kids that are eating 1-2 bowls of cereal every morning before they go to school. And now the bomb.......

Though recognized as a GRAS by the FDA, the same Government also recognizes that it "can be a promoter of thyroid cancer." I don't know about you, but after reading this article regarding the tests done, and the mere possibility that it could cause cancer, I make sure anything I eat does NOT contain BHT. Here is the crappy news: It isn't just in cereal and cereal packaging. I picked up a package of Kellogg's "nourish" bars last week and, yep, it contains BHT. I was going to throw them away but I think I'll get a refund! And as mentioned is also not just found in food but also makeup, and moisturizers.

Here's the good news: If you want to avoid this chemical, it's a bit easier made by the fact that General Mills does NOT use it in their products, but Kellogg's does. So you can simply avoid purchasing one companies product over the other IF it is a concern to you. BHT and BHA are actually banned in the UK, Japan and the EU due to their unsafe nature. Now that's food for thought.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess, Kellogg's

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's always good to bring up health information, but I'm hoping you also read some Canadian sources - unless you are just doing all your purchasing from the US.

BHT is used to keep foods fresh longer, and to prevent foods with oil, etc. from going rancid. This is mostly for convenience foods, which cold ready-to-eat cereals are. But it's in all sorts of food from gum to drink mixes, to all sorts of processed foods.

As you say, reading lists of ingredients is very important. I do all the time and try to make the best choices for me.

As with everything, ingredients are a choice. Do I want to mill my own flour or corn, and make my own cereal? No. But you know what, I don't eat boxed, processed cereal - my choice. Same with snack bars/cereal bars - they aren't nutritious, they are basically candy bars.

There is risk with all sorts of preservatives, as there is with TONS of other things in our world. If we can avoid them, wonderful.

Good info to bring up, OP.
    lecale and walkonby like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Try eating meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, fruit, vegetables, rice, pasta, potatoes...you know, real food. Not the processed stuff.

#1 problem with processed food is it is all dry like dog biscuits and so concentrated in calories. Real food has lots and lots of water in it, and that is our most important nutrient.
    Natalka, walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I've known about BHT and its uses for a long time (and made every effort to avoid it) but the references I grabbed happened to be from the US. Here is an article from David Suzuki, just a quote from it, "The use of BHA and BHT in cosmetics is unrestricted in Canada, although Health Canada has categorized BHA as a "high human health priority" on the basis of carcinogenicity and BHT as a "moderate human health priority". Both chemicals have been flagged for future assessment under the government's Chemicals Management plan."

Natalka, the sad thing is you don't have to cross border shop to be purchasing goods that are coming from the US. Do you think if I walk in to a Walmart here that my goods are magically coming from Canada? They are coming from the same supplier that the US store is getting theirs from. As for fresh food, last time I checked most of that is imported from Mexico and elsewhere too. Unless you're buying local from a farmer's market you can't guarantee you are getting anything Canadian. And once the TPP is ratified you may be purchasing BGH milk right from your store shelves that came from the US as well, so check your labels.You're right that people should definitely make their own choices, and hopefully they are informed ones. Having said that, I honestly think that many choices that people make are more out of necessity rather than anything else. I don't know too many people that would choose to eat a diet of only processed food if they could afford to eat fresh. I'm sure they exist though. lol

An example: The other day I picked up 1lb of non-organic grapes at a cost of $4.25. For a family on a budget that money at a dollar sale could have purchased four packs of 4 cups of fruit salad in syrup for their kids lunches. That's 16 lunches, that 1lb of grapes would not last that long nor would it stretch that far. Which is healthier? We all know the answer. But sometimes our financial situation is what dictates our choices.

Having said that, I just wanted to post the information about BHT and BHA incase there were people here that had no idea what it even was.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I don't know too many people that would choose to eat a diet of only processed food if they could afford to eat fresh. I'm sure they exist though. lol
    It is cheaper to eat fresh than processed...we do it on $150/month/person.

An example: The other day I picked up 1lb of non-organic grapes at a cost of $4.25.
    Good Lord woman, grapes are on sale for $.97-$1.50 in the flyers this week. Where the heck are you shopping???
    Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

thx for the thread OP
    you did some good research
    i noticed you wrote that General Mills may be a good alternative cereal company
    unfortunately General Mills have had a large number of law suits for false claims with their cereal (e.g. Cheerios) and how they have treated their employees (age discrimination)

For cereals, I think I have probably eaten BHA and BHT since i was a child
    Yup. I should be eating steel cut oats with rice milk to be safe, but I indulge in the bad stuff too
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Shwa Girl steel cut oats are probably the best to go with cereal wise, I buy Quaker Steel Cut Oats and they are great but I find I have to do them on the stove top. It just doesn't taste right in the microwave. lol

And lecale I shop what is near me, within walking distance, which is 1km, because my husband and I can't drive. That means I shop at my local mall which has a Zehrs and Food Basics. I hate this FB on principle of how I've seen them treat their elderly customers in the past, and their line ups are ridiculous. I am not waiting 30 minutes to check out when their fresh produce isn't the best to start with. Not happening. And since I don't go out alone I take my husband with me everywhere, so while I can go across town to stores that do price match, it doesn't mean they will have what I am looking for when I get there. Add to that a round trip in busfare for 2 people is $12, I better be getting some good deals to be coming ahead.

Grapes were on for $3.99/lb at Zehrs, plus my 5 cent bag fee, and tada! I guess that means I got a wee bit over a pound. But if I want it I will pay for it. Thankfully I'm the only one that eats them, but sadly they only lasted me 2 days, because I love them that much!
    Last edited by TaraF; Sun, Jun 19th, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

And lecale I shop what is near me, within walking distance, which is 1km, because my husband and I can't drive. That means I shop at my local mall which has a Zehrs and Food Basics. I hate this FB on principle of how I've seen them treat their elderly customers in the past, and their line ups are ridiculous. I am not waiting 30 minutes to check out when their fresh produce isn't the best to start with. Not happening. And since I don't go out alone I take my husband with me everywhere, so while I can go across town to stores that do price match, it doesn't mean they will have what I am looking for when I get there. Add to that a round trip in busfare for 2 people is $12, I better be getting some good deals to be coming ahead.

Grapes were on for $3.99/lb at Zehrs, plus my 5 cent bag fee, and tada! I guess that means I got a wee bit over a pound. But if I want it I will pay for it. Thankfully I'm the only one that eats them, but sadly they only lasted me 2 days, because I love them that much!
    My closest stores are Zehrs and Food Basics. Zehrs is 1.7km and by the bus terminal, Dollar Tree, Beer/LCBO and Food Basics is 1.9km and on top of a nasty hill by itself.

I spend the most money at Food Basics just because of the produce. Everything at my Zehrs is overchilled, oversized and overpriced. Very very rarely do they have any kind of deal on produce.

I also buy very occasionally at Walmart, No Frills and Freshco.

I like to pick off Zehrs's specials: meat, poultry, frozen fish, frozen pizza. I buy few things outside of that though because absolutely everything in the store is more expensive than anywhere else.

They have some good health and beauty specials. I will give them that. And I like the coupon board. But as a store to meet my everyday needs...grrr, I puff up the hill to FB and mutter I hate you Zehrs all the way.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Thank you for sharing this information. I think it will be interesting to read the conversation in this thread.

Can zany anyone tell me if Post uses these chemicals?
    TaraF likes this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Angela, just check each nutrition label - depends which cereal

http://postfoods.ca/our-brands

It is in the big biscuit shredded wheat - the only one I checked
    http://postfoods.ca/our-brands/post-...al-big-biscuit

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

No surprises here about these products ( processed foods ), I mean for quite some time we have known processed " anything " should be avoided if possible. ( my pet peeves are more in regards to the salt/sugars and fats that these products contain, but that is another whole bag of worms )
    I do eat my Quaker large flake oatmeal, ( cooked ) every day but sometimes I splurge and get Bob's Red Mill for the gluten free guarantee.
    The older guy here is a plain Cheerios man and the younger one likes the odd bowl of junky sweet stuff ( Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes ), I only grab those sweet ones now and then when they are rock bottom sale but I know I shouldn't even bring them home for him....sigh.
    Some days I get frustrated and feel with every turn I'm dodging a dietary nightmare.
    TaraF likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Thread Information