User Tag List

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3103Likes

Thread: Dear 2016: I promise to do better this year! To get healthier! Let the games begin!!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Well, as I said in my former thread: the fun's over. It's time to make new resolutions, and although I rarely make them for the sake of a new year, this seems appropriate; the feeding and wine-ing frenzy of December has added a few extra pounds onto my body, I gained half the weight I lost the past year and a half since my fall from being so bed-ridden then sedentary, and it's time to get healthy again.

So: I resolve to actually obey my doctor's orders and mine, and regain my independence, to learn to walk better, and to lose the weight I gained.

I'll do my grocery shopping tomorrow, and weigh myself in on Friday.

Who's with me?

Walkonby??? Honey? How about it? You know how well you did last year, and I know you have it in you to do it again...shall we walk this together again? Anyone else?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Lynn49; Fri, Jan 1st, 2016 at 11:43 PM.
    TaraF, ROMEO, Patty Smyth and 11 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

ROMEO, harbie, Angela273 and 11 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Day 1: the start of my healthier year, doing whatever is under my control to feel better.
    Today is 'healthier way of eating' day one.

Angela273, macw1960, DaveP and 8 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I am in Lynn, will make an honest effort of posting weekly!! I have lost 12 pounds since December 1st, was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.I have kind of plateaued but am giving it my all!!
    See you on Friday!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Nice thread. I'll try to be in on this challenge. I really want to lose these extra 5 pounds.i like to run on the treadmill, about 30-40 min and i do a couple other exrcises with weights but i am not very regular in my routine. I need to make room for it in my daily routine.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Welcome aboard, TG, Amira!!

Thriftygranny...sorry to hear about your diagnosis; it's a huge responsibility to watch your foods so closely in order to keep your numbers within a fairly rigid range, but you can do this. I mean...what choice do you really have, right? Our DD's FIL and my Brother are both diabetics (her FIL Type 2, my Brother Type 1) and recently they've both had stents placed in bloodvessels in their legs to regain oxygen flow. This won't be your problem because unlike them, I know you're going to take better care of yourself and make sure this never happens to you. They've been diabetics for many years but unfortunately neither has taken their condition seriously enough to do the hard work. We'll make sure you're going to stay on track!!!

Amira, good for you for being able to exercise. I'm unable to, but with the new findings, exercise, although good for one's heart, isn't the major contributor to weight-loss. The winter of 2013 I lost just over 50 lbs doing virtually no exercise whatsoever. Between my arthritis and fibro, most days I'm uncomfortable just doing day to day tasks with lots of rest in between them. Now, with still not walking properly and facing knee replacement on that leg I shattered, all I can do is walk, which I won't do if there's any possibility of ice out there. BUT...I'll lose the weight anyway, because I know I've done it before, so I'll do it again. Good for you for being able to...it'll do your heart good, that's for sure! And tone you up with that weight you're going to lose!

Yep...this is serious now. I know we've all backed off our diets over the holidays, but we're getting down to business. I talked with Walks today, and she's in also, and will be joining us when she's able to sit at her computer.

Well...Hubby's making dinner....spaghetti squash, meatballs and salsa: one of my favourite dinners on my diet!!

Onward, everyone!!!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

By the way: are you on any particular programs to lose weight?
    Walks and I are on WeightWatchers...

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

This is interesting, and it's likely you may have known about it, but I just downloaded the site: "My Fitness Pal", and inputted my foods for today. So I took in 1018 calories, a little above what I want to take in, but here's the cool part: at the bottom of the page, when I completed it, it read: "If every day were like today, in 5 weeks, you'd weigh "x" lbs."! I found that so cool!! It really is a great incentive to keep going!

www.myfitnesspal.com

Check it out!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Welcome aboard, TG, Amira!!

Amira, good for you for being able to exercise. I'm unable to, but with the new findings, exercise, although good for one's heart, isn't the major contributor to weight-loss. The winter of 2013 I lost just over 50 lbs doing virtually no exercise whatsoever. Between my arthritis and fibro, most days I'm uncomfortable just doing day to day tasks with lots of rest in between them. Now, with still not walking properly and facing knee replacement on that leg I shattered, all I can do is walk, which I won't do if there's any possibility of ice out there. BUT...I'll lose the weight anyway, because I know I've done it before, so I'll do it again. Good for you for being able to...it'll do your heart good, that's for sure! And tone you up with that weight you're going to lose!

Yep...this is serious now. I know we've all backed off our diets over the holidays, but we're getting down to business. I talked with Walks today, and she's in also, and will be joining us when she's able to sit at her computer.

Well...Hubby's making dinner....spaghetti squash, meatballs and salsa: one of my favourite dinners on my diet!!

Onward, everyone!!!!

Thnaks for the insight Lynn. I have a couple questions. First of all, where is walkonby? Is she very busy or is she still hurt? I better pm her indtead of waiting for her to come back here.
    Secondly, i am confused about this exercise and losing weight. I thought when we exercise and we sweat...it means we are burning more calories than regular and hence we are losing fat/weight. Isn't it right? And if this is not right can you explain what is the real strategy to lose weight?

The other question is.....can you tell me how did you lose weight when you didn't exercise? All i know for now is that we have to exercise to lose weight but now i am scratching my head because if this is not right, how in the world are we supposed to lose weight? :-●

I still fit into my 5 yrs ood clothes but they were a little lose 5 yrs ago and now they are tighter. Lol. I really want to be at 108-110 pounds for atleast 10 more yrs. And this will require some serious healthy decisions, active lifestyle and....NO MORE JUNK FOOD SHOPPING!
    TaraF, Angela273, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Lynn I know how horrible it is when you're laid up, for one reason or another. Phooey. It doesn't help if you eat emotionally, either. Well I'm glad to see you've committed to getting on track this year. Good for you! I'm also there with you partner! I'm reactivating my gym membership with my husband. (it's been cancelled since treatment in 2014) And switching up my diet. I need to also work on getting my iron levels up as I'm anemic and hopefully without using supplements. A lot to do but I'm up to it.

I know you guys will have awesome success as well!

Name:  h.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  20.1 KB

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Amira, that business about exercising until you drop has all been phooey, to use Tara's term.
    I lost weight by keeping around 20-24 Weight Watchers points from Christmas until I broke my leg in May of 2014.
    50 lbs gone. That's it. No big secret at all.

Here's the new news on exercise and dieting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/up...more.html?_r=0

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28524942/n...e-weight-loss/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...-public-health
    http://vitals.lifehacker.com/exercis...t-l-1677532039

Point is....although exercise will maintain muscle strength, and tone one's body, it's not the be-all and end-all way to LOSE weight. It's still all about calories. Cut the crap, lol, and you'll lose weight. It's not saying exercise is bad for anyone, just that you don't HAVE to exercise to LOSE weight. Which is happy news for those of us who can't exercise. I hope that helps, Amira...didn't mean to confuse you, but all that business about sweating in the gym until you drop makes no sense whatsoever if all you're trying to do is lose weight. Hope that explains it, Hon.

As for WALKONBY, I called her today and she's in quite a lot of sciatic pain and can only be on her computer for short periods of time, and once she's done her business on it, she's done with sitting in a chair. She's under good doctor's care, taking her meds, and taking it easy...she misses everyone here and will absolutely join us on our journeys here when she can. She's also joined Weight Watchers and will be counting points along with me and anyone else who wants to jump in. And for anyone who wants to, you can do it all for free on line. I can show you how I did it after I paid for 3 months, then did it myself. Keeping track. That's the key!

TARA!!!! So we finally enticed you back to us!!
    How absolutely wonderful! I'm sure the gym will get your bits moving again, and how nice that you can do that with your Hubby. Good for you. So many of us on here aren't able to move about as we'd like to, but knowing that we don't have to work out like those "biggest losers" on tv, sure makes it less of a challenge to lose any weight we might be carrying around.
    I'm so happy to see you on here again, Girlie! We're here for you and I know you'll have some wise counsel for us, too.

Day One under my belt ... my rather tighter belt...actually...I don't wear a belt. My jeans are tight enough without one!

See you all tomorrow!!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sat, Jan 2nd, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
    TaraF, Angela273, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

I would like to get in on this! I definitely need to drop some pounds but I also need to just be healthy. I eat so much crap when I'm out on the road everyday, OR I have days where I don't eat until I get home but then it's pig out city.

I would really love to get some inspiration from you gals! I need something to keep me going or I'm afraid I'll fail... again. I would love to see some healthy recipes posted and maybe some healthy lunches that I could pack for work
    TaraF, Angela273, Lynn49 and 7 others like this.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Count me in. No more excuses! I definitely need to lose weight and tone up!! Good luck everyone!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh goody!! A new thread! thanks @Lynn49

I started Weight Watcher's for the very first time! I went ( well me and my sciatica hobbled into the meeting ) on Jan 2nd. I can only sit maybe 10 min at a time on here so i won't be posting until this dang pain is gone BUT I am back to a commitment to get healthy!!

babies teach us acceptance

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm in too. Remember my Bahamas trip I won in the summer, well, it is coming up in February . I need to lose about 10-12 lbs to be comfortable in my clothes. 2 years ago I lost 23 lbs in 2 months just by cutting out carbs and basically a vegetarian diet. Lots of veggies and fruits. We still ate meat but 3-4 times a week. Plan to do that again plus I got that $32.00 bike from the shopping channel that I'll be using while watching TV. Good Luck everyone!!! We can do this!!!!
    TaraF, Angela273, Lynn49 and 7 others like this.

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information