User Tag List

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74
Results 1,096 to 1,109 of 1109
Like Tree2946Likes

Thread: A new beginning in getting HEALTHY...2017, here we come!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Good morning and Happy New Year all! Okay, here's where I'm at and a confession on the food part...looking forward to supporting each other in our goals this year.

Well I decided to start working out a couple of days before New Years to get into a system. My goals this year are different...I want variety in exercises.
    My goal = 3 activities on an a home day 2 activities on a busy day. They can be of any duration or type...just to get me moving.
    I've gone for walks, done part of a strength training program, part of a yoga program (omg, I almost pulled a muscle in my elbow just getting down on the floor for a plank lol...definitely not at "that" level for a while". I'm lucky, I have a fitness program that I subscribe to with trainers walking, cycling, etc outdoors all over the world. For the walking part...I go outside for a walk and then watch a training workout on tv while I have coffee. I learn a lot about fitness and food from the trainers. I also have a rowing machine, indoor bike, mats, yoga blocks and weights (my resistance bands started to decay they were untouched for so many years ha ha)

FOOD- We have been cooking about 70% of our food from scratch this past year. we're making more and more from scratch. From baked goods, to salad dressings, home grown spouts, lettuces and vegs, making egg rolls and burritos, we've tried a lot and continue to have fun in the kitchen.! In theory we should be slowly losing weight BUT ...we've also been treating ourselves to DOORDASH for all of our hard work...Who in the world would want to order a salad with grilled chicken when they could be eating a bacon cheeseburger with french fries oh and let's make it chili cheese fries just for a change lol.
    SO....we popped over to the pharmacy to get our covid vax and they had a lifelabs so we got our bloodwork done....the next day we rec'd a call that the DOC wanted to chat with BOTH OF US regarding our bloodwork...sigh... we chat with him next Tuesday.
    The interesting thing was that Hubby got his LDL number down in the past 4 years (yeah, he's afraid of going to the doc) BUT we noticed that both of us had higher triglyceride numbers than before....OBVIOUSLY DIRECTLY LINKED TO POOR FOOD CHOICES FROM ORDERING DOORDASH. So Doordash account gets cancelled on Tuesday after we talk with the doc.our new rule is that we can buy anything we want (using coupons of course) but WE HAVE TO GO PICK IT UP..not only will we save money, we'll also be too lazy to go pick up something so we'll most likely just scrounge something up at home instead.

Okay time to get get fitter and shred some of these excess pounds!!
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@crafter , it is funny you mention Doordash.

All my siblings use all of the delivery services and it is funny my Sis who lives in Toronto complains when she is at Dad's and Stepmom's about the lack of choices. Try coming to where I live and talk about lack of choice, BUT, to be honest, I am kind of happy we do not have many options and most don't deliver because like you said, it makes me question do I really want to go pick it up. Almost every time, the answer is nope, let's just cook something we have on hand.

Covid broke our horrible take-out habit because Mom stopped working so she wasn't driving by all of these places and could just pick something up. Since I was working from home when we started discussing take-out the question was who was going to get it and both of us would say "I am not going out." Now to be honest it is rarely brought up unless we are out running around and going to get home late.
    Lynn49, walkonby, crafter and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    @crafter, it is funny you mention Doordash.

All my siblings use all of the delivery services and it is funny my Sis who lives in Toronto complains when she is at Dad's and Stepmom's about the lack of choices. Try coming to where I live and talk about lack of choice, BUT, to be honest, I am kind of happy we do not have many options and most don't deliver because like you said, it makes me question do I really want to go pick it up. Almost every time, the answer is nope, let's just cook something we have on hand.

Covid broke our horrible take-out habit because Mom stopped working so she wasn't driving by all of these places and could just pick something up. Since I was working from home when we started discussing take-out the question was who was going to get it and both of us would say "I am not going out." Now to be honest it is rarely brought up unless we are out running around and going to get home late.
    Good for you and your Mom on cooking at home. re doordash, we live outside of town a bit ...no one would deliver to us before aside from one pizza place..when we first tried doordash we were in awe at our choices...you should bank some money each week for to pat yourself on the back for the money you don't waste on takeout food.

Happy New Year!
    walkonby and SassyAshley like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    sniff, sniff... Lynn49 your post had me choked up as well....so many tries with great success, then fall, fall, slip and fall back. We could write a book!
    I'm almost considering the all meat diet ( steak is my go to ) with only water as a beverage. meh?? I love my fresh fruit and veggies too much to eliminate them all. Watched a video and it almost has me convinced to try. We'll see.
    We’ve been through so many ups and downs, haven’t we, @walkonby?! I was on a diet, you were off, you were on, I was off, I’d lose a bunch, you’d always beat me (I’ll play the age card there).

But on beef, we part ways, my Friend. We rarely eat red meat. Rarely. The only exception is burgers, homemade, not take-out which is rare here, also. Even at camp when the kids invite us for bbq steaks, I bring along a pork chop or chicken something. It is healthier to not consume a lot of red meat, but we just prefer anything else for some reason. Also, ground turkey or chicken replaces any ground meat dish here, like the chili I recently made.

@crafter, boy do I envy your energy and ability to exercise! I just prepared a pork loin roast and had to sit down while peeling the carrots, celery and potatoes! But it’s all in the crockpot now!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sat, Jan 6th, 2024 at 12:58 PM.
    walkonby, crafter and SassyAshley like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

How great were those posts from @SassyAshley and @crafter !? Welcome to the " new beginning to getting healthy " thread.
    None of this is ever easy is it? If it were we'd all be broke from buying fabulous new skinnier clothes!
    DH and I discussed the pitfalls of the food delivery options that were a godsend during the pandemic, but have now latched onto
    us all like a starving animal breastfeeding. ( sorry, I was trying to find an analogy....)
    Anyways, we normally have DH drive over to pick up whatever we succumb to. We're not in such a remote area as the 2 of you
    and DH counts his getting up, dressing, walking to the vehicle, driving there and back with the food as " exercise ! "
    We tell ourselves whatever lies we need to until we reach our breaking point on the scale OR in our bloodwork results.
    Best of luck to you both!
    Last edited by walkonby; Sat, Jan 6th, 2024 at 01:10 PM.
    Lynn49 and SassyAshley like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    We’ve been through so many ups and downs, haven’t we, @walkonby?! I was on a diet, you were off, you were on, I was off, I’d lose a bunch, you’d always beat me (I’ll play the age card there).

But on beef, we part ways, my Friend. We rarely eat red meat. Rarely. The only exception is burgers, homemade, not take-out which is rare here, also. Even at camp when the kids invite us for bbq steaks, I bring along a pork chop or chicken something. It is healthier to not consume a lot of red meat, but we just prefer anything else for some reason. Also, ground turkey or chicken replaces any ground meat dish here, like the chili I recently made.

@crafter, boy do I envy your energy and ability to exercise! I just prepared a pork loin roast and had to sit down while peeling the carrots, celery and potatoes! But it’s all in the crockpot now!
    @Lynn49 good for you on staying with the healthier meat choices. I honestly had no idea that pork is a healthier option than beef..I always equated them as similar.. I guess that rule doesn't apply for one of our favs..bacon heh heh.. I would love to learn some more recipes using ground chicken and turkey. So far I've made mozzarella turkey meatballs and a chicken loaf with stove top stuffing and topped with bacon. It takes a lot of energy in the kitchen...you are smart, you already have your dinner in progress. we haven't even cleaned up from lunch.
    walkonby and SassyAshley like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    @Lynn49 good for you on staying with the healthier meat choices. I honestly had no idea that pork is a healthier option than beef..I always equated them as similar.. I guess that rule doesn't apply for one of our favs..bacon heh heh.. I would love to learn some more recipes using ground chicken and turkey. So far I've made mozzarella turkey meatballs and a chicken loaf with stove top stuffing and topped with bacon. It takes a lot of energy in the kitchen...you are smart, you already have your dinner in progress. we haven't even cleaned up from lunch.
    @crafter, wrt using ground turkey or chicken as a replacement for beef, all I do is replace it. Even in lasagna (made with zucchini sheets using a peeler or finely cut) while I'm dieting, it's exceptional; I don't know what it is, but even frying ground beef, I can't stand the smell! I have to toss in some garlic just to kill it! I don't have the same problem with ground chicken, turkey or pork.

If you're asking about diet-y recipes using those, I just made turkey chili...we also enjoy spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs and salsa (fewer calories than pasta sauces which usually contain sugar)...To be honest, we're not adventurous cooks although we do try new recipes quite often, so we mostly adjust what we've been doing for 53 years, lol, and go with that. Most diet sites like WW-recipe ones have that "0 points" foods...well, they DO have points and they DO have calories! Keto recipes are swimming in cheese, so no to those, too, unfortunately, since we love good cheese.

If you're looking for anything specific, let me know...today I have a chubby pork tenderloin in the crockpot sitting on top of carrots and celery, all seasoned, Hubby will boil up a couple potatoes for himself (since I don't eat them often), and that's dinner, all wrapped up. I do weigh anything that needs weighing, I measure and I post it into my food log on NOOM every day.

And here's the big story: NOOM has us weighing every single morning!!
    I never believed that was a good thing, but they explain it this way...so you weigh yourself on Monday. Then you wait until Friday, or next Monday to weigh yourself again, and whoa! You gained a pound!! Tragedy! Right?
    Well, this way, as they explained it....to gain a pound of fat, I'd have had to eat over 3500 calories the day before!
    I can't imagine that! That's three 800 calorie meals, plus two 500 calorie snacks! Who does that?!
    So I know, one day later, that something is affecting that number...I feel better in my clothes, so why? Could be many things: the humidity in the house, I overdid the salt (likely hidden), I didn't drink the water I usually do.
    Now had I waited a week, I really might have thought that I was gaining all week, all that work that week for nothing?! No....had you followed your weight each day, you'd see those fluctuations and like I did this morning, just think, "meh"...something happened. No big deal. And I'm doing my darndest to keep to the plan, and to TRUST IT.

Okay...sorry for that speech, hahaha....but it was like a bolt of lighting to me because I have had weeks like that and thought 'what the heck DO I have to do to lose?" when it may just have been a glitch that one day.

If you need help with recipes, ideas, we're all here for each other!!!!!!

(temu, leave me alone with your pop-ups! I go on there and inevitably go down a rabbit hole! hahaha!)
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sat, Jan 6th, 2024 at 05:00 PM.
    walkonby, crafter and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thank you so much for your tips @Lynn49 ! I will definitely reach out for your expertise. Appreciate your help

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    @crafter, wrt using ground turkey or chicken as a replacement for beef, all I do is replace it. Even in lasagna (made with zucchini sheets using a peeler or finely cut) while I'm dieting, it's exceptional; I don't know what it is, but even frying ground beef, I can't stand the smell! I have to toss in some garlic just to kill it! I don't have the same problem with ground chicken, turkey or pork.

If you're asking about diet-y recipes using those, I just made turkey chili...we also enjoy spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs and salsa (fewer calories than pasta sauces which usually contain sugar)...To be honest, we're not adventurous cooks although we do try new recipes quite often, so we mostly adjust what we've been doing for 53 years, lol, and go with that. Most diet sites like WW-recipe ones have that "0 points" foods...well, they DO have points and they DO have calories! Keto recipes are swimming in cheese, so no to those, too, unfortunately, since we love good cheese.

If you're looking for anything specific, let me know...today I have a chubby pork tenderloin in the crockpot sitting on top of carrots and celery, all seasoned, Hubby will boil up a couple potatoes for himself (since I don't eat them often), and that's dinner, all wrapped up. I do weigh anything that needs weighing, I measure and I post it into my food log on NOOM every day.

And here's the big story: NOOM has us weighing every single morning!!
    I never believed that was a good thing, but they explain it this way...so you weigh yourself on Monday. Then you wait until Friday, or next Monday to weigh yourself again, and whoa! You gained a pound!! Tragedy! Right?
    Well, this way, as they explained it....to gain a pound of fat, I'd have had to eat over 3500 calories the day before!
    I can't imagine that! That's three 800 calorie meals, plus two 500 calorie snacks! Who does that?!
    So I know, one day later, that something is affecting that number...I feel better in my clothes, so why? Could be many things: the humidity in the house, I overdid the salt (likely hidden), I didn't drink the water I usually do.
    Now had I waited a week, I really might have thought that I was gaining all week, all that work that week for nothing?! No....had you followed your weight each day, you'd see those fluctuations and like I did this morning, just think, "meh"...something happened. No big deal. And I'm doing my darndest to keep to the plan, and to TRUST IT.

Okay...sorry for that speech, hahaha....but it was like a bolt of lighting to me because I have had weeks like that and thought 'what the heck DO I have to do to lose?" when it may just have been a glitch that one day.

If you need help with recipes, ideas, we're all here for each other!!!!!!

(temu, leave me alone with your pop-ups! I go on there and inevitably go down a rabbit hole! hahaha!)
    Lynn49, walkonby and SassyAshley like this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My mood today

Name:  diet woes.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  11.7 KB
    Lynn49, crafter and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    My mood today

Name:  diet woes.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  11.7 KB
    That's what nail salons are for Dahling!....
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh I hear you....I used barber scissors to cut my toenails and it ain't a pretty sight when I do it lol
    walkonby likes this.
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Friday! Hoping with this mild weather I can get out for a good hike and fresh air this weekend!

Will pick up fresh groceries this weekend for healthy eating. Will walk around the stores to search for deals and get my steps in
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    I honestly had no idea that pork is a healthier option than beef..I always equated them as similar.. I guess that rule doesn't apply for one of our favs..bacon heh heh.. I would love to learn some more recipes using ground chicken and turkey.
    My doc told me to that I had to lower my (bad) LDL cholesterol level. The only way to do it was to totally forgo pork, altogether. I tried to limit/reduce the amount, but found that my level was still over the recommended amount. Finally, I had to give in and just not eat any pork. I am now well within the recommended limit. I love the taste of ham, sausage, and bacon, but it seems as though my body just cannot handle them. Alas.
    crafter likes this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Name:  Creation.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  164.5 KB
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Feb 20th, 2024 at 08:45 AM.

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74

Thread Information