User Tag List

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree962Likes

Thread: July 2017 Frugal Chatter Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Both daycare parents contacted me this morning to say that their kids aren't coming. I'll have the day with just my own kids. This is a nice surprise. I'll have to decide what to do for today and see if we want to go out somewhere. The construction in my crawl space is supposed to get completed today, so I'll need to be around to do an inspection and give the final payment. I'm in need of some sleep, the twins have been up since 5:30 again today. I'm hoping to catch a nap if the twins nap at the same time. By the way, I caught the mastitis really early on so I'm feeling completely fine already, but I'll still make sure to finish the prescription. Today is the coolest day in the forecast, so I was already thinking about doing some baking, makes for good snacks for the road trip. I need to do a little laundry and start packing. We are supposed to dress in light/bright coloured clothing for Grandma's celebration of life ceremony. Grandma's favourite colour was pink.
    @Ciel The construction has been loud at times and rattled some dishes in the kitchen. They've had a 3 man crew here physically doing the work. There was some equipment because a big metal bin was dropped off, slowly filled, the picked up. The workers have been using a wheelbarrow and are happy to see my kids waving at the big living room window.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:08 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Just texted my youngest and asked him if he wanted to go to lunch at his fav spot. He replied " Yesssssssssss!" Glad to get him out of the house and enjoy lunch out with him during the work week. Its the little things.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

A parent has a child that will be starting at my daycare in September. She'll come next week to sign the contract for a full-time spot. There is another mom that wants to meet to discuss a part-time spot for the school year. I've turned someone else away and I've been corresponding with some other parents. I require a signed daycare contract, so I'm still keeping an eye out.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Well just 2 more pills for me to take -I feel great -my daughter-in-law told me Ashlyn has foot and mouth virus -she picked up from daycare and adults usually don't catch it -but I told Ashlyn no kisses til she is better and constant hand washing for us both .I am giving Ashlyn mickey mouse leggings 10.20 I paid from the gap ,long sleeve beige top I got last year from the gap 5.99 socks from gymboyee 1.20 and a pair of black tights 3.59 from gymboyee so 21.98 for all of the above for back to school ( I thought it would be nice to get her a back to school outfit not just because its her first year but I think I always will for the grandkids ) I will take it to her on Thursday when I babysit

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I finally went out for a short walk around my backyard today-discovered a loaded saskatoon berry bush and the first few raspberries so a fruit crumble has just gone in the oven. Our small Norland apple tree is loaded too( none last year), so hopefully we will have a good harvest in the fall-no veggie garden this year but nice to know you can find some free fresh fruit in your backyard. DD looked less than impressed to pick the berries, what with the occasional spider web and ants running around-urban, modern kids!! I reminded her that back in the old days this is what pioneer women did-making jams etc for winter. DH has also had her planning and cooking meals this summer-we explained that along with the privileges of turning 18, come increased responsibilities to contribute more chores around the house(we usually do most of it since she has been busy at school and we were home-but now with just occasional work through the summer for her, we explained that it can't all be sleeping in and hanging out with her friends!).

Oh dear, I hate to say it but DH came in from cutting the grass and he is now complaining of right hip pain-what a pair-it seems we do everything together. Mine has already been ongoing for nearly 3 months so I hope his is short lived!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Wed, Jul 12th, 2017 at 05:18 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I just looked at the gap website and noticed 3 items cheaper than 2 days ago -so called got a credit of 8.40 back on my credit card (it pays to be a smart canuck )

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I developed mastitis today. I went to the ER tonight and got a prescription. I caught it pretty early, I'm sore on one side but otherwise feel fine. I got two pills to start taking the antibiotic because my pharmacy isn't open until 9am. The doctor that was on call chose to keep the ER open all day, so she saw 100 patients today and the waiting room was empty when I arrived. I'm staying up because I need to take the medication on an empty stomach.
    I am glad you caught it early. The symptoms I had from mastitis were insane. I remember visiting the chiropractor and he said I was white as a ghost, to sit down and pass my newborn to my husband. (I phone the midwife after the appointment!) I spent a lot of time under a hot shower while eating freezies that morning...no lie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    I just looked at the gap website and noticed 3 items cheaper than 2 days ago -so called got a credit of 8.40 back on my credit card (it pays to be a smart canuck )
    Yahoo. Good retro-deal!

I had my niece and nephew today from 8am-7pm. I am pooped after loving 5 all day. I managed to feed everyone snacks and three solid meals, folded 2 loads of laundry and even played a little too!

Now NETFLIX!!!
    Last edited by Granger; Wed, Jul 12th, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I snapped some pics of my garden, that way I might be able show my dad on the weekend. He grows a garden at their house, 7hrs away from where we live. I thought I'd post the pics here for you guys to see too. I'm posting from my phone, so hopefully they post ok. The building with the wall that is missing siding and paint is my neighbour's garage, not ours.

I'm growing zucchinis, pickling cucumbers, peas, dill, red potatoes, green onions, radishes, leaf lettuce, beets, Swiss chard, carrots, yellow string brand, 5 varieties of tomatoes, and red rhubarb. I already have too much dill and leaf lettuce.

Name:  IMG_4243.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  630.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4244.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  575.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4245.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  683.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4246.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  501.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4249.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  651.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_4251.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  686.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4255.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  682.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4253.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  555.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Jul 12th, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Angela, pics don't show.
    Oh, I can't imagine anything like 'too much dill' - I haven't had a garden the past few years so I've had to buy it. One year we had lots gifted to us.
    I freeze it so I can use it through the winter - chop it up with salt on the chopping board, freeze in teeny zipper bags (like for jewellery).

Hope everyone has a good evening. It was our last 'cooler' day (which I've enjoyed!), we'll be back in the 30s again tomorrow.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Angela - no such thing as too much dill I remember my mother's garden in Saskatoon - between the raspberries taking over the fenceline and the dill taking over in between all the other veg - it was superb!

I have a small crop if dill growing in a pot in the veg pad in the back yard here -- love to go out and grab a bit whenever needed

PS: Pictures look great! Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by GoodBoy; Wed, Jul 12th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I've always had a green thumb and enjoy growing plants. One tomato plant died from being broken in a wind storm. A different tomato plant is sick and I don't know why. It is growing right next to another tomato plant that is healthy and I don't see any bugs on it. I need to google more and see if I can figure it out before we leave for the weekend.

@walkonby That is an entire pea patch of regular peas. They currently look like snow peas because the pods aren't full yet. They are so good that Dh often eats them pod and all.

@Natalka and @GoodBoy I plant the dill with vining vegetables, they make natural climbing supports. I ate some dill in a big fresh salad last week and with some baked potatoes. I let the kids snack on it if they want, but we're all looking forward to the actual veggies.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Fab pics, Angela - everything looks great, considering the weather you guys have endured!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Nice garden! I planted nothing this year. Maybe next year.

Last night I spent the evening with my friend and her newborn twins. So cute! It was her first night alone with them till her husband came home from work. I couldn't leave at all- she needed me. Washed her dishes and cleaned the kitchen up a bit.
    Then I went home and cleaned my kitchen and made the kids bacon and eggs at 10pm! Will be fun to watch the twins grow up and I have a favourite but would never let them know lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Angela, I sure hope your infection is clearing up.

Frugalbigmama - how nice of you to help her out!

We've had two rather cooler days, but the heat is back - gah!

Hope you are all having a good day!

Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Went out to Mcdonald's today to use the Free Medium Fry coupon, used it at the Kiosk, confirmed that the order had the fries, got my bill and no fries. When I got my order without fries I told them I used the coupon and it showed as part of my bill before I confirmed and paid. They said the Kiosk wasn't accepting the coupon and you had to use it at the till instead. So despite "using" the coupon, I still have it on my phone (But can't get out again to use it today). And decided to not use my New York fries Free Fry coupon as it's good till the end of the month
    Angela273, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information